Jobsworths

Sir Galahad

A Jobsworth is someone who says 'I can't do that, it's more than my job's worth'; it seems there is no direct equivalent American word, it's a cross between 'That's not my department' and a 'Little Hitler'

I only put this up because of a story I read in the Telegraph. This woman has been playing classical music to her horses for 20 years to soothe them. Sounds ok, not hurting anyone right? Wrong! According to her local council she has to get a license as it constitutes a 'Public Performance', as she has more than 2 employees at her stables. Do these busybodies have nothing better to do than to go around harassing some old dear because she plays music to her horses. What is the world coming to?

Full story: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics...et-licence.html

Hear are a few more:

The path of an ambulance on an emergency call was blocked by a councilor - because it broke local by-laws by driving on grass.

Lib Dem Colin Rosenstiel stopped the vehicle and banged on the side as the crew responded to an injury at a summer festival.

He rode his bike in front of it and refused to budge.

Then after they finally got past him, he locked a gate as they tried to leave - only opening it when a Police Constable ordered him to.

Now Rosenstiel has been rapped by council watchdog the Standards Board for England for bringing his office into disrepute.

He also faces possible suspension when Cambridge city council's own standards committee meets next week. Rosenstiel insisted: "The Standards Board tends to make mountains of molehills."

But Tory councilor Chris Howell said: "I think he should resign."

Morrisons supermarket in Acomb, Yorkshire, England, took its rules about selling alcohol rather too seriously when they asked Jack Archer, aged 87, to prove that he was over 21.

When he attempted to buy a bottle of sherry reports BBC news. Former Lord Mayor of York, Mr Archer, said that he was shocked but flattered to be asked. He stated, 'I don't look my age but I certainly don't look young enough to be in trouble for underage drinking.'

Mr Archer said he often had a small glass of sherry at bedtime to help him sleep. He said: "I was taken aback really. Afterwords I thought I should have showed them my bus pass and that would have proved how old I was.

A woman has been accused of littering, after sweeping leaves into a pile. Street sweepers refused to remove the leaves at the end of Sandra Pote's drive because some were in her garden. Sandra, 61, thought she was doing the cleaning truck crew a favour as they drove down the road in Torquay, Devon, but she was accused of fly-tipping by the council, reports BBC news.

Torbay council insisted the couple should have taken the leaves to a tip. A spokesman said, 'Householders have a responsibility to deal with leaves on their property'.

Traffic Wardens [Meter Maids] are prime culprits of 'Jobsworth' as can be seen from these examples:

While he was being put in an ambulance after breaking his leg having crashed his scooter a man was presented with a

Edited by Sir_Galahad

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For business purposes I legally adopted my mother's maiden name. In court, my certified birth certificate, driver's license, a decade of tax returns, and BOTH my parents were not enough evidence to prove I was who I claimed to be.

My best friend, a Cuban immigrant, with broken English, verbally claimed knowing me for 20 years.

The court granted my request.