Armorial Bearings

Tipdin

Genealogy is a major hobby of mine. I've tracked two lines of my ancestors back to men that were awarded armorial bearings, or what we would call a coat of arms. In spite of popular myths, let me also state here that a coat of arms never belongs to a family. The whole point of having a design is that it was a pictorial representation of a specific person during a time when people could neither read nor write. The picture could be recognized by anyone with vision good enough to see it. (Literally everything in the design of a coat of arms has meaning to, and regarding its owner, thereby making it very personal.)

Outside Scotland, there is almost no place on Earth anymore that still uses a coat of arms as a legal mark, following ancient heraldic guidelines. Some countries still register designs, but they really aren't the same as the owner's signature, they're more like a registered trademark or a copyright.

So here are my questions: Would you like one? Should we Americans have a system in place to legally track and use an individual's coat of arms? If you would like one, what items would you want represented in your design?

Edited by Tipdin