The social media scandals ...

hh5

Before its about the cell phone ...

then its about the camera on the cell phones

now its your social media usage

it seems its now legal for a company at an interview to look at all your social media postings ...

like FB, twitter, emails, etc

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/20/facebook-passwords-job-seekers_n_1366577.html?1332247088&ref=business

perhaps one day there be a legal access to all social media without your knowledge needed ...

when you apply for anything ... legal invasion of privacy

yeah ... the minority report ...

There is a Star Trek Next Gen episode ... where technology is many years ahead of its societies ability to cope

We are in that flight path ... as many syfy writers have predicted before we had it

check out the prophets of sci fic ... good show for things to think about

anyone got thoughts about this?

Nobody is getting my password to anything. Case closed.

Then you don't get the job. Or your resume goes to the bottom of the pile. And the headhunter will get a little note that you didn't cooperate with the clients request for information, which will make you questionable as a potential candidate for anything else in the slush pile.

Or do what Lugh says and lie. If they catch you they will probably let you go, but that's the risk you take.

Welcome to privacy2012.com, where your stuff really isnt yours anyway.

I just had a protracted debate in the soapbox where I discussed these issues, where I was told I was full of crap. You should probably know I have strong opinions about this. I think what these companies are doing is criminal, or should be.

What you can do to protect your private information:

Don't use Facebook or google+ or gmail. All three require in their terms of service that you disclose your real name. The legal way to avoid giving them this information is to not use the service.

Don't use a cell phone or a texting service.

If you do use these services, do not put up any personally identifiable information, including your cell phone number and any pictures.

If you use Facebook, lock down ALL privacy settings (search for "disable the platform") and periodically scour friends pages for information about you. Demand that they remove it.

Join the EFF, protest this strongly and with a real sense of urgency. This kind of thing is going to get very, very ugly in the next ten years. When people begin to understand that Disney knows where your kids are and what they are doing with better accuracy than you do...

I grew up in a time when my movements weren't tracked by gps and stored in a database. I know what personal privacy means.

You young folk are going to live in a world where everything you, and your children, do will be traceable to you and tracked by many interested parties. You will never know what personal privacy means, or even who is tracking your movements, unless you force those who will track you to knock it off.

And that means, for me, that if I were to be asked for my passwords, I'd probably sue the person and company that asked.

Edited by Gene Splicer PHD
  • Like 3

I found this thread on Metafilter, discussing the issue. This response is dead-on perfect for those who don't want to sue anybody.

"I treat confidential information, such as passwords, with utmost discretion. I am sure you are only asking to ensure that I would decline such a request for company passwords or other sensitive information, so I will appropriately decline your request and thereby demonstrate my commitment to keeping confidential information protected."

This reminds me of the movie "The Net" one of the early Sandra Bulluck Movies ...

its about the take over of your private info ... your ID on the NET

FB does record the ip address where the log-in took place.

So just take the employers invite ... visit a nice lawyer ... contact FB together ...

File few kinds of lawsuits ... make sure u collect ... n never have to work again

Its catch-22 because of the lawsuit and not hiring you anyway

Lawyers love to make money

Here's a blurb from the local Pasadena newspaper (Pasadena is one of the bigger suburbs of Los Angeles): http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/california/ci_20239441/facebook-warns-employers-not-demand-passwords?nstrack=sid:1596537|met:100|cat:3328734|order:1

From KTVU.com in San Francisco:

A Democratic senator from Connecticut is writing a bill that would stop the practice of employers asking job applicants for their Facebook or other social media passwords, he told The Associated Press on Thursday.

U.S. Sen. Richard Blumenthal said that such a practice is an "unreasonable invasion of privacy for people seeking work."

"These practices seem to be spreading, which is why federal law ought to address them. They go beyond the borders of individual states and call for a national solution," said Blumenthal, who first spoke to Politico on Wednesday.

Go here to read the entire article.

Colin Posted Image

• Like 2

I agree that this is going to be a big, big problem in the future. I do have a FB account, along with Gmail and G+ accounts. And yes, my mobile phone numbers, personal photos etc. are there. However, I've made sure that none of these photos are anything that I'd mind becoming completely public...and I don't really think I've EVER taken a photo that's embarrassing enough for me to never want it to go public.

And my phones are always pre-paid, and I used to avoid all location based services (use GPS now). As for being bombarded by adverts - I honestly don't notice it any more, I just filter it all out. If I want to buy something, I will go out and get it, adverts or not.