Shipwreck!

Celethiel

I'm sure not many people realize this happened so close to the U.S.  Most think such things happened in parts of the Atlantic Ocean that were closer to Europe or Northern Africa, as well as far out in the Pacific Ocean.  To learn that something like this happened in the Gulf of Mexico may come as a surprise, but it emphasizes the fact that WW II was definitely a global war.  Very interesting. 

• 3 weeks later...

This is a very strange coincedence I was reading the hard copy of the local paper, and in the human interest section was a story on the sinking of the Rober E Lee by the U166. Incl,uding information on the location of the wreck and the fate of the U166.  I find most articles, stories, movies, etc dealing with ships, submarines, turn of the 20th Century ships to be interesting.  It is so true most people don't realize this type of action took place in the Gulf of Mexico and also so close to shore, there and all along the Gulf Coast and Atlantic coast.  In fact it was not until 1942 that the US had a blackout in place and the ships plying these waters were silouetted against the city lights making good targets for the Germans.  I like reading about ships, war action with ships.  etc.  I understand that modern day vessels have made huge technilogical advances, but I am a romantic for the ships of the late 19th Century and first half of the 20th Century the era of the great passenger liners, gun showing warships, and submarines, which were just basically controlled sinking vessels at that time.  I think it all stems from having lived and grown up in the 3rd dryest state in the nation, there was enough water to generally float a rowboat in let alone a sea going ship.  I truly find these type of articles and stories interesting and attention grabbers.