Less than a week to submit 2024 Anthology Entries ×

What Is the One Lesson You Learned as a Child That Still Affects Your Life Today?

Solivagant

When I was ten years old, my maternal grandmother passed away. I learned that it's always important to say I love you to the ones you love and care about as frequently as you can, because you don't know when it's going to be the last time that you're going to see them.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

When I was eleven, my dad died very suddenly. I learnt that everybody dies and everybody leaves. But I also learned that life is ephemeral and temporary, and you've got to do the best you can with the time you have.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

As my dad always said, 'You only live once and this is not a rehearsal. You should always be the best person that you can, do your best in everything you do, never do harm, help where you can. If you give love and respect it will be returned, maybe not by everyone, but by enough to make it worthwhile. Then when you leave this world you can do so with a good heart and your head held high.' That's a lesson I'll never forget and try to pass on.

• Like 1