Where are you from, and what is the LGBTQ+ community in your area like?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
On 7/3/2022 at 9:29 AM, MrM said:

I live in the Hillcrest neighborhood which is the Center Of All Rainbows as far as San Diego, CA is concerned. I don’t know for how long though, as Hillcrest is gentrifying. I hope that Hillcrest can keep its Gay identity as it continues to be fairly vibrant, though not as much as it was at one time. We’ve lost a lot of bars and clubs that used to be raging, flaming successes in the past. I understand the Castro is undergoing a similar gentrification process with gay establishments disappearing in favor of fancy restaurants and expensive condos. West Hollywood seems to be holding tight and continues to be a very vibrant Gayborhood, though COVID did some damage there too. Palm Springs is a rising Gaytropolis in California! Many of my friends have moved there due to lower prices and a dominating gay political and economic influence.

The ironies of ironies is that in California, gays are victims partly of their own success in societal acceptance and partly because of the Internet. Not just Hillcrest, The Castro, WeHo, Palm Springs, but in Laguna Beach, Santa Barbara, Studio City etc, gay bars and clubs are going away. Guys don't need to drive 60 miles to WeHo or Laguna Beach anymore to meet a guy they can surf the Net from home and meet guys in their own area. They can go to local bars, get on Grindr (is that still a thing?) and find someone in Straightsville.

• Like 4
  • Wow 1
  • 3 months later...
19 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

I feel bad for anyone that actually wants to meet hookups at gay bars because it's just not like that anymore. It's really just a place for gays to hang out with their pre-established friends and dance to some gay themed music. Also for straight girls to drag their boyfriends who get "adored" by the DJ for the night.

I mean, that's kind of exaggerated. When I was single, I'd go out with friends every weekend and it was a pretty common occurrence for us to go home with people we met that night (and this was as late as last year). It's still like that now, and hell, at some places you can just go to the bathroom and do it. 

At least here in New York, the gay-specific night life scene is thriving and not going anywhere. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, TetRefine said:

I mean, that's kind of exaggerated. When I was single, I'd go out with friends every weekend and it was a pretty common occurrence for us to go home with people we met that night (and this was as late as last year). It's still like that now, and hell, at some places you can just go to the bathroom and do it. 

At least here in New York, the gay-specific night life scene is thriving and not going anywhere. 

True. New York City is a whole nother beast. 

• Like 4
On 8/31/2023 at 11:04 PM, methodwriter85 said:

True. New York City is a whole nother beast. 

But I've found that to be true of all big cities. When I lived in Philly, the gay club/bar scene was thriving. Traveled to LA, SF, Chicago, Miami, and a bunch of other cities, and gay nightlife is still very much a thing. You simply need a critical mass of people. 

On 9/1/2023 at 2:17 AM, MJ85 said:

A perfect example of how it can be both the most populous city in the U.S. and fairly isolated/insulated unto itself.

True, New York City often feels like another country when compared to 95% of the rest of the US. The longer I've lived here, the more I realize I don't have much in common with the "typical" American living somewhere in rural/flyover country. I'll have much more in common with someone from London or Tokyo or Sao Paolo then I would with someone from Mississippi or Indiana or wherever. 

• Like 4
On 3/27/2022 at 10:50 PM, Drew Espinosa said:

I live in the Texas Panhandle, which is pretty rural, and therefore a rather difficult place to live out and proud (I'm still in the closet, myself). I feel like things have changed for the better where I live, at least based on personal experience. For example, when I attended high school nearly ten years ago (has it really been that long, lol?) I remember my mother remarking on my cousin, who attended the same high school, "looking gay" because he had his ears pierced. The thing was, he was the quarterback, he looked like the stereotypical American jock, and he had a girlfriend, thing's that don't scream "gay!" but because he had his ears pierced... I digress. Anyways, flashforward to now, and my nephew (he isn't LGBT+) is in high school, and he has his ears pierced and uses black nail polish, and yet I've never heard my mother say he looked gay or anything like that, which I do take as a sign for the better.

Beyond my personal experiences, Amarillo is a city of 200,000, so it's large enough to host an active, if small, LGBT+ community, but I've still yet to actively check it out. 

It's been a year and a half since you first posted this, and with the current climate and laws passed in Texas, do you still feel the same way?  

• Like 4
4 hours ago, Mancunian said:

Brother-in-law, you will see this and other similar abbreviations used on GA

@lawfulneutralmage, common acronyms you might see include not only BIL, but SIL = Sister-in-law; MIL = Mother-in=law; FIL = Father-in-law.  

DRE = Digital Rectal Exam     PSA has two common meanings --  PSA = Prostate-Specific Antigen (a blood test which can indicate prostate cancer)
PSA can also mean Public Service Announcement                         IMO = In My Opinion          IMHO = In My Humble Opinion
IRL = In Real Life                                                                                    DNF = Did Not Finish (applies to reading a story, or to racing cars)
DNF can also = Do Not Forward   or   Do Not Fax   or    Domain Name Finder

• Like 4