Dell Laptop Battery Recall

Dio

Have y'all heard about the massive laptop battery recall Dell has issued? I've never had a problem in the world with my Latitude d410, then all of a sudden my boss at work tells me my laptop might suddenly explode if it gets too hot and I need to return my battery!!

Now I'm batteryless until my replacement arrives in somewhere from 20-75 business days...just...friggen... great. I need to be mobile for both my job AND school which is about to start. What a piss off. I hate being stuck to a plug >_>

I'm not sure whether I should be laughing or crying. Anyone else affected here?

lub

angrydio :angry:

Now I'm batteryless until my replacement arrives in somewhere from 20-75 business days...just...friggen... great. I need to be mobile for both my job AND school which is about to start. What a piss off. I hate being stuck to a plug >_>

Dio-

20-75 dys? That's just not reasonable. I suggest that you find a battery seller and order yourself another battery. Duracell makes very good replacement batteries for most of the big PC makers like HP, Dell and IBM.

There is a company in my town called Interstate Battery that I used to deal with all the time for replacemt batteries for laptops, UPSs and all sort of gadgets that I had to take care of. I could usually get one from 60-100 bucks.

If you go that way, when the Dell battery finally arrives, you'll have a backup. :)

JS

If you haven't already sent yours in, you might consider waiting for the flood to slow down. I imagine they'll provide appreciably faster turnaround in a couple of months after the rush and I doubt the risk is very significant. This isn't the first Li-ion battery scare, and in the past it's always been a few hi-profile incidents out of tens or hundreds of thousands of shipped units that prompted a recall.

Still, not sure I'd use it with it sitting in my lap with a suspect battery -might damage something far more valuable than a notebook! :(

If you've already sent it, though, I agree with JS that it's nice to have a second battery -especially for those transcontinental flights.

Looks like plenty of new batts for the d410 going for ~$50 on eBay, with used at ~$25 +ship.

Best deal might be to buy a used one eligible for the recall off eBay, use it till original replacement arrives, then have eBay unit replaced with new one, too.

http://computers.listings.ebay.com/Batteri...ListingItemList

I've bought 5-6 notebook batts off eBay without problem.

Good luck back at school this fall!

-Tim

I went to the Dell website last Monday and signed uo for my replacement -- I was amazed when it showed up via DHL yesterday complete with prepaid return lable ----- WAY KEWL :2thumbs:

Have y'all heard about the massive laptop battery recall Dell has issued? I've never had a problem in the world with my Latitude d410, then all of a sudden my boss at work tells me my laptop might suddenly explode if it gets too hot and I need to return my battery!!

Now I'm batteryless until my replacement arrives in somewhere from 20-75 business

angrydio :angry:

I'm not sure if you should worry to much about the battery going up in smoke -- as I remember from Dell's website that less than a dozen of the batteries under the recall have actually burned. And that is with 4.1 million batteries in the total recall.

Still, not sure I'd use it with it sitting in my lap with a suspect battery -might damage something far more valuable than a notebook! :(

-Tim

That assumes you have something more valuable than a notebook :lmao:0:):P

:king: Snow Dog

Edit: Woohooo my battery is not involved :D

Edited by Snow Dog