Jump to content

ValentineDavis21

Author
  • Posts

    846
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by ValentineDavis21

  1. ValentineDavis21

    Chapter 3

    Thank you. I'll do my best to keep it up.
  2. The architecture of the Theocracy was supposed to showcase the awe-inspiring feats of the twenty-first century. Prism-shaped and three dimensional, a monolith made of mined steel from the ruins of Elysia. This is the result of what we can achieve when you wield magic and technology together. Order in the midst of chaos. To Vanus it just meant he had to climb a lot of steps. Steps and steps and more steps. Most days he didn’t mind. It helped him stay fit. In this business a healthy diet was
  3. Brad snapped awake, smelling smoke. Smelling fire. His first thought was that he had to get Heidi up and they had to get Little Annie and get out of the house. But when he lifted his head and looked around, the house was completely dark. He didn’t smell smoke. The fire alarm in the hallway wasn’t going off. Everything was silent. His family was safe. Before he could slip back into sleep, a thought tugged at the back of his mind: Something was supposed to happen last night. Something importa
  4. Four days ago... When he was a boy, Brad loved to draw. It was the first thing he could remember loving to do. He remembered the moment he realized you could make anything so long as you had the color in your hand. With yellow you could make the sun, with blue the ocean. He’d been four or five then, crouching on the floor in the bedroom while his parents screamed hateful things at each other in the living room. This same thought came back to haunt him as an adult with a slight u
  5. The man who was responsible for the capture of the Astorathian Butcher was nothing like the man who had appeared on the front pages of The Roc City Gazette. He thought of those long, sleepless nights when every Astorathian mother in the Slums had clutched onto their children with fear. Not just fear for their lives but for the fear that there was no justice to be had for their suffering. We're not a priority. The Theocracy doesn’t care. They don’t consider us human. All except one agen
  6. The man who’d captured the Butcher of Innocence and appeared on the Roc City Tonight Show scarcely resembled his real life counterpart. Baraq recalled those long nights when every mother in the slums of the city had clutched their children to their breasts in fear for their lives; between this and the threat of the plague it seemed that no one was safe from the wrath of death. Only one voice served as a guide during those long dreadful nights when Baraq was on the brink of madness, wishing his e
  7. The Seraphim and the black-blood sat across from each other in a plain white walled room. They were alone. If anyone were to have been in the room with them, they would have seen that the two individuals did not want to be alone in the room together, but we're doing so as their occupation dictated. Charoum forced himself to look into companion's eyes. Looking into them was like looking into pools of infinite black. Worse yet was the network of varicose veins that tracked through the woman's
  8. Brad Anderson woke up early each morning to go on his morning jog. This was a precious moment he’d discovered, cliche as it might seem; that precious all too brief window of time when the rising sun turned the sky into liquid and the world was his for the taking. Heidi and Little Annie were still asleep when he rose out of bed. Little Annie clutched her Dora the Explorer doll to her chest, her thumb tucked safely in her mouth. He smiled privately to himself before tiptoeing down the stairs
  9. Christianity is dead. The old gods and magics of the Void have returned to the twenty-first century. For this the Theocracy was created, a world-spanning organization put into place to keep the forces of the Void from bleeding into our world. After a lengthy hiatus following his last case, death magician and agent Vanus Kaufman is teamed with Astorathian agent Bazzelthorpe to investigate a viscous occult murder that will lead them into the dark depths of Inferno, a hell-like dimension. If they are to survive they will have to learn to trust each other.
  10. The phone was ringing off the hook again and it was driving me nuts. Ring-ring-ring. I wanted to smash the fucking thing to pieces. I got up from the desk and stormed across the room, kicking aside discarded clothes. I ripped the phone off the cradle, gripping the handle so hard it hurt. “What?” I snapped. “Thomas, it’s Agamemnon,” said the voice of the last person I wanted to hear from. “Do you need something?” I couldn’t keep the tremor of anger out of my voice. It had been bui
  11. Thomas I opened my eyes, rolled over, and found the bed empty. Gone. Just to prove to myself it wasn't a dream, I pressed my hand to the mattress. The spot still felt warm from his dream. No, I reassured myself, not a dream. He hadn't left a note saying goodbye. Why would he? He was probably at home with his beautiful wife, or building his empire. Despite my attempt to shut out these thoughts, I found myself pressing the pillow where he'd laid his head, and breathed in deep
  12. Having come from a large city, I had no idea how dark the world could get. It was as if the night had swallowed everything, save for the trees lining both sides of the road, and the asphalt unspooling before the car, made visible by the ghostly glow of the headlights. The sense of isolation, of being removed from civilization, was overwhelming, pressing in from all sides like the darkness itself. Agamemnon was quiet. Every now and then I would look away from the window long enough
  13. Thomas Two shots of whiskey and fifteen or so stitches later, I was right as rain. Or if not right, I wasn’t shaking so hard it felt like my bones would pop out of their skin. Adermoor Cove doesn’t have a hospital. Not even a clinic. What it has is a doctor who makes at-home visits named Alfred Kohl, who shows up with a briefcase dressed in a flannel shirt and jeans. He assured me as he examined the gash from where I’d bashed my head in the car, that he was perfectly qualified.
  14. Thomas With a curse I threw the tie onto the bed and studied myself in the mirror. For the past hour I’d been trying to knot the tie in place, but my efforts proved useless. Oh well…I don’t need it. I turned to the suitcase laying on the bed and pulled out a light blue button up. With the black jacket I could still pull the outfit off. I just hoped what I was wearing was feasible enough for tonight’s dinner with Agamemnon and his famous wife, Roxanne Lockhart. A glance at
  15. Thomas For the service, I dressed in my best suit, then drove up the hill to the church. From the looks of it, all the villagers on the island had shown up for the service. Family indeed, I thought as I climbed out of the Mustang; salty winds blew my bangs back, making the summer heat more bearable. Inside the church all the pews were full except for the one in the very back. I again reminded myself I was a stranger among these people. I had not known the men who’d die. I was me
  16. For the entire night, Bazzelthorpe wandered the manor, restless. The silence made his skin crawl. Only moments ago it seemed Kaufman Manor was crawling with life and wealth, but now there was only a mournful hush. In his absence the Kaufman Dynasty had suffered greatly, and was now on its last leg. He tried to distract himself from his shame and the anger it felt growing inside him. Daemons didn’t require sleep the way mortals did, so this meant trying to find other ways to pass the time.
  17. Resentment is the story of two men separated by time who are drawn to the island of Adermoor Cove and its mysterious lighthouse. Upon arriving on the island, Thomas finds himself falling into orbit with the enigmatic Agamemnon. Their relationship will change the course of his life forever. Jude and his partner, Duane, arrive at Adermoor Cove in an attempt to fix their broken relationship. Something about the island and the lighthouse seem familiar to him despite never having been there
  18. Thomas Before the story of the five dead sailors reached the front page of The Roc City Gazette, the existence of Adermoor Cove was irrelevant to me; you heard it mentioned in conversation from time to time, but nothing truly interesting was ever said about it. Had Arthur not phoned to tell me about it, calling it a tragedy of “Greek proportions", I might have never stepped foot on the island. At first I had no intention of reading the article. Arthur had no right to make a req
  19. Thank you, glad to hear that, because I'm basically just winging it.
  20. The Imperium Department of Health of Vital Records was housed in a large building a block or so away from the Imperium Headquarters. From the moment he’d been told of his true heritage, Vanus had been propelled by a determination to adapt to a world that had expanded beyond his means to understand it. He could feel it all begin to weigh down on him, and with it came a fatigue that was more emotional than physical. Now that he was here, he realized just how little he understood about how the worl
  21. Twenty years in the lifetime of a daemon is like comparing a drop of water to an ocean. Decades passed ina the blink of an eye. Twenty years spent in a box, bones being crushed to sand repeatedly, reintegrated, and then crushed again had only been a humiliation; but to have everything else change so suddenly, so wrongly was more than Bazzelthorpe could bear. “I am sorry, dove,” the daemon said to Vanessa’s tombstone. His hands clenched into fists. “I promise you I will find Henry and kill h
  22. "Alright, Mr. Fritz. Do you want to tell me what this is?" Vanus tossed the box on the table. To his surprise both Mr. Fritz and Bazzelthorpe flinched. "What is it? It's just a box." "Now that you live in the Imperium District, never assume anything is what they appear to be," Mr. Fritz said. "None of that was included in the 'Welcome to the Imperium Package', was it?" Vanus seethed. "'Don't touch a box, it might just unleash a murderous daemon.' But then there's a lot you haven't tol
  23. ValentineDavis21

    Chapter 7

    It was either you or someone else who mentioned Julian. That is a mistake I forgot to edit when I changed the name to Henry. There isn't a Julian. Just wanted to clarify.
  24. ValentineDavis21

    Chapter 5

    Thank you for the compliment. I am super excited. I'd never thought I'd be able to go to college or graduate.
  25. ValentineDavis21

    Chapter 7

    Should I change up the description?
×
×
  • Create New...