Thomas Lindblad
Author-
Posts
176 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
Stories
- Stories
- Story Series
- Story Worlds
- Story Collections
- Story Chapters
- Chapter Comments
- Story Reviews
- Story Comments
- Stories Edited
- Stories Beta'd
Blogs
Store
Help Center
Writing
Gallery
Events
Everything posted by Thomas Lindblad
-
Very true. The story is not only about gay love (and sex) but also very much about friendship.
-
In the Spring of 1813 I was eagerly looking forward to my twenty-first birthday coming up on 6 June. Since last year I was indeed the Count Hammarcreutz and the owner of the large estate Stora Skena, however still not yet of age according to Swedish law. I stood under joint guardianship of Mother and Birger. My (great-)uncle was particularly useful, not only because he tended to choose my side in conflicts. He had seen my grandfather and my father in action as landholders. He knew what it was al
-
I had been warned that the third and final year of my studies would be demanding. My tutor Dudley required me to write one essay after the other about the most varied topics. Nils’s assistance was of limited use since his knowledge of English was based on conversations with stable boys and local young ladies. ‘How come somebody of your class has any grasp at all of such language?’ Dudley asked in astonishment when I read my essays to him. Eventually, I sought and found assistance from Gran
-
In elevated company
Thomas Lindblad commented on Thomas Lindblad's story chapter in In elevated company
I am happy my story inspires such insightful personal revelations! -
Another excellen story about young detective Killian. I have definitely become a fan of him. I especially liked the coming-of-age aspect with Killian on the edge of aduthood, acting and reacting on occasion in a very adult way, at other times quite immaturely. An ingenious plot, whether or not with the supernatural aid of Seth's ghost. Highly instructive how consecutive testimonies unfold ever more truths and introduce new personages to the story. Thanks for the reading pleasure!
-
Even before my second year at Christ Church College had begun, I received two letters from Birger that did little to cheer me up. In his first letter, he told me about a truly shocking event in Stockholm the past summer. Considering that the very old King Carl XIII was childless, Parliament had elected a new heir apparent instead of the exiled son of Gustaf IV Adolf. The choice had fallen upon the Danish prince Christian August of Augustenborg, the commander-in-chief in Norway. Bad luck wa
-
In elevated company
Thomas Lindblad commented on Thomas Lindblad's story chapter in In elevated company
All personages in this chapter except Göran and Nils are actual historical persons. -
It took a while before I felt at home in the largest and most prestigious college in Oxford. This had nothing to do with the magnificent architecture of the grand sixteenth-century buildings at the spacious courtyard Tom Quad. I had to get used to many things. The language, scores of English customs and unwritten rules, and not least important, the very fact that I was no more the obvious center of attention as I had been at Stora Skena and in Västerås. There were more boys of high nobility at C
-
Tremendous story! One of your most faithful readers recommended it to me long after it had been published on this website. I read it breathlessly, virtually imagining I was inside Killian's mind. Magnificent plot and very well written. Highly inspiring for my own efforts to write fiction. Thank you so much.
-
The situation in Sweden was gloomy as we rang in the year 1809. Because of the defeat at Oravais and the suspension of hostilities at Olkijoki, the last Swedish soldiers had left Finnish soil before the turn of the year. Only one single person, King Gustaf IV Adolf, still believed Finland could be reconquered. ‘Mark my word,’ Father spoke to me, ‘things are going to change in Sweden. What exactly I don’t know, but I do know something is about to happen.’ My father had retained good contacts
-
Of butterflies and velvet
Thomas Lindblad commented on Thomas Lindblad's story chapter in Of butterflies and velvet
Very well said! -
In the year I turned sixteen, I was deemed ready to attend grammar school in Västerås. My departure was moved forward because my private tutor Efraim suddenly resigned in January. I am not sure if that had something to do with rumours about him hanging around late at night at the lake near Morskoga krog. Nils thought his dubious reputation had reached my father. Prior to departure, there was one important request on my part for Father. ‘Please let Nils join me in Västerås,’ I urged him.
-
Explorers far from home
Thomas Lindblad commented on Thomas Lindblad's story chapter in Explorers far from home
Thanks for these nice references to Swedish culture! I did not know there was an actual person called Valdemar Tofte; I just made it up. My source of inspiration for Toftegave was Harrenhal in A Game of Thrones. The inspiration for Stora Skena is less precise but Ängsö castle near Västerås comes close. Always puzzled by the fact that the name of the industrial town Västerås in Sweden resurfaces as the continent Westeros in A Game of Thrones. The discovery of sin is likely to continue! -
On the day I turned fifteen, Father surprised me with a new plan. ‘Göran,’ he said with a broad smile, ‘you’re a big boy now. You’ll make a long trip this summer.’ He was right. I had become another couple of centimeters taller but remained skinny. ‘You will join Birger and travel to Toftegave for summer holidays,’ he continued. That was the illustrious estate in the western province of Värmland, where the Old Countess and Birger hailed from. I had often heard exciting tales about it. In hi
-
Good to hear my story evokes personal reminiscences!
-
This year I would turn fourteen, the age when people in our faith usually get confirmation. You are officially admitted as a full member of the Church and for the first time permitted to take part in the Holy Communion. Father had already at an early stage signed me up for a confirmation camp in Ramsberg in the summer. Strictly speaking, I could easily ride Rex the ten kilometers back and forth to the church, but tradition prescribed that you reach this milestone in life together with people of
- 3 comments
-
- 10
-
-
-
It happened completely unexpected. For half an hour I had been riding Apollo in calm circles in the forest, the large white stallion I had not ridden before. The tall trees shielded the sunlight, little birds were twittering above our heads, at a distance I discerned Father’s back on his dark mare. ‘I’m getting the hang of it,’ I said loudly and urged Apollo to speed up. From the forest we reached an open meadow. Then it happened. Apollo reared up with his forelegs and hoofs high in the sk
- 5 comments
-
- 14
-
-
-
This is a story in the genre of historical fiction. The protagonist is a fictitious Swedish Count living in the early nineteenth century. He is the heir to a large estate in mid-Sweden, pursues formal studies abroad and has contacts with the royal family. His sexual orientation remains an issue throughout his life. This story offers an insight into love relations and friendships at the time. Some actual historical persons figure in the plot in a fictionalized version.
-
The Holiday: travelling & arriving
Thomas Lindblad commented on Robert Hugill's story chapter in The Holiday: travelling & arriving
Very nice getting back to this unconventional family Curious about howmw things will work out i the large bedroom! -
General elections were held on the last Wednesday of November. Hans was the only one in their unit with a television in his room. He invited Åke and Johny to come and watch the polls together with him and Marcel. They only had to bring their own beer and snacks. After evening news, they settled down in front of the TV, Åke and Johny sitting on the bed, Hans and Marcel on large cushions on the floor. As the smell of pot mixed with the fragrance of incense, they witnessed a turning-point in Dutch
-
With two exuberant guests over coffee in late morning, Åke’s room immediately seemed overcrowded. Henning was ceremoniously yawning at the desk with his legs wide apart, Malte lay stretched out on the bed. Åke had met them at the station and brought them to a budget hotel near Leiden Square in the city center. Their room was not yet available so they came along to Kattenburg. They were willing to undertake a twenty-four-hour train journey to visit him for a long weekend. He had gratefully devise
-
While still half asleep, Åke heard Hans, no early riser, banging on three doors after one another. His door was the last one and he immediately got out of bed, put on yesterday’s clothes, and got hold of his backpack. Minutes later they were cycling with the four of them along the water to the central station. Hans, Marcel, Åke and Johny – an improbable combination of housemates intent upon winding down on a resort island for a couple of days. As all students at Dutch universities, they enjoyed
-
Already at an early stage of his stay in the Netherlands, Åke had paid a visit to Matthijs in Leiden. He was just as heartily received by Matthijs’s parents as one and a half year ago. Doctor Tiggelaar was still in the running for a professorial chair and his wife was ready for a nice cup of coffee at all times. Matthijs had suggested Åke could spend the night in Leiden, but there was no urgent necessity to do so. The journey by train to Amsterdam took only thirty-five minutes and Åke’s bike sto
-
Åke was unexpectedly soon back in the Netherlands. He arrived in Amsterdam in late August, exhausted from twenty-four hours in the train from Västerås. Matthijs waited for him at the station, hugged him and kissed him on the cheek. They had not met since Thanksgiving last year, when Matthijs had visited him at Colby College. One obvious reason was that Matthijs had not returned to Dartmouth after Christmas but decided to resume his studies at Leiden University. Åke, on the other hand, had remain
-
Precisely what I had in mind and you express it very succinctly. Readers will soon see what happens next to Åke. Thee are still some chapters to go.
