Jump to content
    AC Benus
  • Author
  • 8,085 Words
  • 986 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

MOBY-DICK – Revenge and Redemption – A Filmscript - 3. Part 4 – Blood-Thirst & Part 5 – Reflection

Honeymoon is threatened by a vision, but soon they are closer than ever. On the Pequod they find their place, and some out-of-the-way places to be alone. Redburn's love deepens as his husband becomes the light of the world to his aspirations. Meanwhile, whales are spotted and chased; some win/some lose. Three different styles of command come from the officers. Ahab reveals an ace up his sleeve, and spooks the ship's men into believing in 'phantom crews.'

.

[Part 4 – Blood-Thirst – I: Evil Magic]

EXT. FOREDECK OF THE PEQUOD – LATE AFTERNOON

The ship sails peacefully in dappled sunlight, but ahead lies overcast skies. A harpoon goes whizzing by. It lands and digs deep into the foremast, and vibrates like a tuning fork. A quick pan forward shows it was REDBURN who threw it in practice. As he runs to fetch it, ARCHY and CABAÇO are seen coiling line near the windlass. After Redburn comes back and takes aim again, Archy mildly complains for the others’ amusement.

 

ARCHY

Here we are then, with this gray-headed, ungodly old man – chasing curses around the world – at the head of a crew of renegades; castaways; enfeebled by officers – the impotent, right-minded Starbuck, the pervading mediocrity of Stubbs, and Flask with his jolly indifference and recklessness – all of us seem spiritually-picked by an infernal fatality to seek the Captain’s mortal revenge.

 

REDBURN

Aye, and had any of the backers known of Ahab’s one intent of killing a single white whale, they would have taken the ship from his fiendish hands.

 

CABAÇO

What evil magic possesses their souls – we of the crew – to respond to the old man’s desires?

 

ARCHY

(stops; stands)

Who does not feel the irresistible arm drag us on?

 

REDBURN

(stops too)

In his heart, Ahab has some glimpses of this; namely ‘My means are sane; my object and motives, mad.’ What of this white whale – what have you heard?

 

ARCHY

Moby-Dick? Malice, lad; a hate-filled contempt for mankind is in his heart. Word is, he appears out of nowhere; from the far flanks of the whale pod, charges in at the boats to protect the others from attack.

 

CABAÇO

I have heard he is half phantom. He knows where the whalers are heading; follows them, from out in front.

 

ARCHY

Aye – those who have gone eye-to-eye and hand-to-hand with him, have their hearts turned to chiseled hearthstone, not to be warmed by human felicity again.

 

As Redburn turns ashen at the thought, Cabaço comes up and jocularly slaps him on the back.

 

CABAÇO

(laughs)

How goes life in the harpooners’ cabin?

 

REDBURN

(grunts)

Not good; not bad. Tashego and Daggoo don’t mind me bunking there, but complain there’s less grub because I sit at their mess table too.

 

CABAÇO

(winks at Archy)

If it don’t work out – you and your ‘private harpooner’ are always welcome to sleep in the forecastle – with me and Archy.

 

REDBURN

(smiles)

It may come to that.

 

Their eyes all suddenly lift to Tashego in the foremast rigging. His body is moving, leaning out and dangling with one arm and hand gripping the ropes. With the rest of his body, he motions and points out to sea.

 

EXT. FOREMAST RIGGING

As seen from TASHEGO’s POV, inclement weather and fog is forward, off the starboard side, but a pod of breaching whales is a couple miles off in that direction.

 

TASHEGO

There they blow!

 

He gets the attention of AHAB and STARBUCK from the quarterdeck. He points violently out to the pod.

 

TASHEGO (CONT’D)

There; There; There they blow! They blow.

 

EXT. QUARTERDECK

AHAB, DOUGHBOY and STARBUCK man the deck. The first officer marches up to the taffrail. Ahab looks like he’s seen his goal. He takes Doughboy by the shoulder and speaks confidentially.

 

ARCHY

Quick, Steward, it’s time.

 

Dough Boy runs off.

 

STARBUCK

(shouts to Tashego)

How far away?

 

EXT. FOREMAST RIGGING

Tashego looks again. In the sun-dappled water, the whales are diving.

 

TASHEGO

She turns. There go flukes…. Off the lee-beam; two miles off. A school of them!

 

EXT. MAIN DECK

ARCHY, CABAÇO and REDBURN run aft. Members of the CREW join them, including QUEEQUEG. Suddenly all stop in their tracks. Next to AHAB on the quarterdeck stand seven phantom figures: FEDALLAH in his great white turban of hair, and six Filipino, brawny and shirtless OARSMEN.

 

[Part 4 – II: The First Lowering]

EXT. SURFACE OF THE WATER – EVENING

Four whaleboats are in chase: FLASK leads with a boat that has DAGGOO at the tiller, and ARCHY and CABAÇO in the crew; STUBB’s boat has TASHEGO in the steering position; STARBUCK has REDBURN in the crew and QUEEQUEG at the tiller. Close to Starbuck’s boat is AHAB with FEDALLAH and his four OARSMEN. The spout of a whale breaches several hundred yards ahead of them.

 

STARBUCK

Captain Ahab?

 

AHAB

Spread yourselves; give way all four boats! Thou, Flask – pull more to leeward.

 

INT. FLASK’S BOAT

 

FLASK

Aye, aye, sir!

(mirthfully to crew)

Cheerily boys, let’s sweep back this great steering oar.

 

As the boat turns, and cuts too sharply in the water, he warns them.

 

FLASK (CONT’D)

Lay back!

 

The boat slows. Flask’s voice beats in time with the strokes.

 

FLASK (CONT’D)

There! – There! – There! Again! There she blows, right ahead, boys. Lay back. Never mind yonder yellow blokes, eh, Archy?

 

Archy looks back but continues to strain on his oar.

 

ARCHY

Oh, I don’t mind ‘em, sir. I knew it all

before now.

(to Cabaço)

Didn’t I hear ‘em in the hold? And didn’t I tell Cabaço of it? What say ye, Mr. Kingpost, sir – stowaways?!

 

INT. STUBBS’ BOAT

Stubbs eyes the ‘phantom crew,’ distracting some of his oarsmen. He turns sarcastic on them.

 

STUBBS

Why don’t you break your backbones, my little ones; my fine-hearts alive?! Pull, my boys, and never mind those chaps in Ahab’s boat? Tut! Six more hands, never mind from where, make the more the merrier! Why don’t you snap your oars, your rascals? Bite something, you dogs!

 

INT. STARBUCK’S BOAT

Starbuck sees Ahab make a wild gesture for him to move obliquely across Stubbs’ bow.

 

STARBUCK

Strong! Strong boys, strong! Seethe her, my lads, seethe her!

(gestures at whale)

Spring at her, men! There’s hogsheads of sperm ahead, Mr. Quohog, and that’s what we came for! Pull boys, sperm’s at play – this is duty; duty and profit, for they should go hand-in-hand!

 

REDBURN

(to Queequeg)

See! I told you I saw shadows before we boarded!

 

INT. AHAB’S BOAT

Fedallah and the crew are stripped to the waist. His boat is now in the lead.

 

AHAB

Be all steel and whalebone! Rise and fall like five trip hammers!

 

Ahab makes an ‘oars up’ motion, and as one body, the oars rise ninety-degrees and drip on their heads; the boat glides and slowly reduces speed. Ahab signals; the other boats stop, but keep oars in the water. Now all is motionless and still as a church around them.

 

INT. STARBUCK’S BOAT

 

STARBUCK

(quietly)

Every man, look out along your oar. Thou,

Queequeg, stand up.

 

Queequeg stands in the bow, and shields his eyes. He peers where the whales were last spotted. Starbuck in the stern also cautiously stands and looks.

 

INT. FLASK’S BOAT

Flask, with cat-like agility, makes his way to the loggerhead (a.k.a. the kingpost – a two-foot-high post to secure line around in the stern of the boat). He uses his crew’s shoulders and heads to keep his balance. He leaps up on the post and balances with ease, though it’s only about three inches square.

 

FLASK

Damn it, I can’t see three seas off.

(joking down to his crew)

Tip me up on the blade of an oar! Then maybe I can see!

 

Daggoo moves aft, stooping low. He stops at Flask’s feet.

 

DAGGOO

(patting his shoulders)

As good a mast-head as any. Will you mount, Kingpost, sir?

 

FLASK

That I will, my fine Daggoo!

 

Daggoo straightens up a bit, bracing his feet as far apart as he can. He holds out his palm for Flask to step in. Flask puts his hand on Daggoo’s head, and with a bending start, Daggoo hoists him to stand on his shoulders. Daggoo lifts one arm, bent at the elbow, above his head and Flask steadies himself by grabbing onto it. The weather looks drastically worse now that he has a clear view.

 

FLASK (CONT’D)

Now, I only wish you were fifty feet taller!

 

INT. STARBUCK’S BOAT

 

REDBURN

(aside to Queequeg)

Look at sorrel-haired Flask there. He seems like a snowflake on a mountain.

 

The boat crew laugh.

 

QUEEQUEG

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

The bearer looks nobler than the rider.

 

INT. STUBBS’ BOAT

In the bow, Tashego still stands vigilantly, but in the stern, Stubbs has sat. Now Stubbs pulls down his black pipe from his hatband. He leisurely fills and lights it while speaking.

 

STUBBS

(ironic)

Tosh, lad – don’t stretch your eyeballs too hard, ye hear.

(serious)

If she just sounded, it could be an hour till she’s up again.

 

EXT. SURFACE OF THE WATER

In the gently swelling distance – about a hundred yards – the four boats can be seen rising up and down. Slowly, a barely perceptible white and foamy perturbation rustles the surface.

 

INT. STUBBS’ BOAT

Tashego suddenly drops like a stone to a crouching position; his hands bracing him at his feet.

 

TASHEGO

(hoarse whisper)

Down; down all – and give way! There

they are.

 

INT. STARBUCK’S BOAT

Queequeg sits. He glances at Starbuck.

 

STARBUCK

(quietly)

Pull my good boys, pull.

 

Redburn glances and sees Flask helped down by Daggoo, who simply grabbed his smaller partner by the waist and let him land on his feet in the boat. Flask then proceeds to jump and down, pointing, as his rowers start and nearly knock him overboard in the lurch forward.

 

INT. STUBBS’ BOAT

In the lead, Stubbs shoots a glare over his shoulder, then chides his crew with his pipe lurching in his clenched teeth.

 

STUBBS

He’s got fits, that Flask has!

(laughs)

Pull, boys! Give him something to shake about! Come on lads, I don’t ask for much, just burst your liver and lungs on the oar. That’s all!

 

EXT. SURFACE OF THE WATER

The ripple grows to a creamy trail of bubbles moving away from the boats. It heads towards thick fog.

 

INT. AHAB’S BOAT

 

FEDALLAH

(disappointed)

It’s not him, sir.

 

AHAB

(angry – demands)

How do you know!

 

Fedallah simply glares back.

 

INT. FLASK’S BOAT

Flask stamps his feet, bracing himself on his crew’s shoulders and heads.

 

FLASK

Roar and pull, my thunderbolts! Beach me on that whale’s back!

 

EXT. SURFACE OF THE WATER

Ahab’s boat has fallen back. Flask and Stubbs are neck-and-neck in front; Starbuck’s boat is a bit behind. The foaming cream is now a moving stream of bursting bubbles. The three boats plow into it, and suddenly the back of a breaching whale is between them. For a moment it seems all the men will be tossed in the water. Now dark clouds sizzle overhead.

 

INT. STARBUCK’S BOAT

 

STARBUCK

(looking at the sky)

Give way men; there’s time yet to kill a fish.

(to Queequeg; a lightning-like, hurtled whisper)

Stand up!

 

Queequeg readies his harpoon. He cocks it with his mighty arm and a grimace. The boat, through the spray of its spout, nears the front flank.

 

STARBUCK (CONT’D)

(whispers, quietly, in awe)

Give it to him….

 

Things happen simultaneously – a sound of whooshing as Queequeg lets the spear fly; a squall of forty-five-degree angle rain pelts them all in the face; the whale dives below the surface, and turns directly under Starbuck’s boat; all men go flying out of it along with much of the gear. The boat turns upright again, but it is half-swamped. Voices from the other boats begin to fade into the distance.

 

FLASK (O.S.)

Chase her, boys, that way….

 

STUBBS (O.S.)

Don’t lose her, my hearties….

 

EXT. SURFACE OF THE WATER

Rain falls. The men of Starbuck’s boat swim and gather items. They help each other into the boat and all start bailing water. Starbuck stands and shouts towards the other boats.

  

STARBUCK

Send the ship to us!

 

Starbuck strains to hear a reply; none comes. The boats still in the chase are moving out of sight. Darkness begins to grow, and the First Mate feels the weight of concern coming from his crew. He puts on an air of being undaunted.

 

STARBUCK (CONT’D)

Take heart boys. They know we’re here. They won’t leave us.

 

Starbuck roots around under the seat in the stern of the boat. He pulls out a small cask with a little hatchet on a cord. He breaks it open.

 

STARBUCK (CONT’D)

Ishmael, hand us that lantern.

 

Starbuck works the tinder and flint into a flame and lights the boat’s beacon. Taking the waif pole, he attaches the light to the end, and then passes it to Redburn to take forward to Queequeg. Queequeg sits in the bow with the pole extending out over the water. He turns to Redburn, who looks sick with worry. Queequeg smiles at him, then over Redburn’s shoulders to make sure no one can see, then goes back to his partner and winks. Despite himself, Redburn cracks a grin. He sits by the side of his man.

 

REDBURN (V.O.)

As he extended the lantern, I – cold; frightened – saw Queequeg turn a wickedly reassuring grin on me. I knew at least I was not alone. So, Queequeg sat there as the standard-bearer of all our forlorn hopes; and there he sat, the sign and symbol – light of the world – to a man without faith like me, to hold up hope in the midst of despair; the still and universal in the squall of human woe.

 

[Part 4 – III: Queequeg’s Ramadan]

INT. “THE SPOUTER INN”, TAPROOM – MORNING

The breakfast service is over. PETER and SAL arrange the tables in their daytime arrangement. They stop and watch REDBURN enter with a new glow.

 

REDBURN

Morning, gents.

 

PETER

(wry)

Sleep well?

 

Redburn sits, laces his fingers behind his head and kicks out his crossed legs in front of him.

 

REDBURN

Sleep...? Well, not exactly.

 

SAL

And how did Queequeg rise this morning?

 

REDBURN

(laughs)

Why, he rose stiff as a pikestaff, if you

must know.

 

PETER

(to Sal)

See, I told you! That old bedstead of ours still has magic in her for young hearts.

 

SAL

And where is that mighty big harpooner? You both missed breakfast.

 

REDBURN

(sighs)

He told me to go my own way today – something about a day of fasting and prayer for him – Queequeg’s Ramadan, I’d call it. He says he has to; for ‘us.’

 

Peter and Sal twitter.

 

INT. QUEEQUEG’S ROOM

The view out the window shows a perfect day; sea and sun and pastel buildings. A slowly receding shot reveals QUEEQUEG sitting cross-legged on the floor in the center of the room. He faces the window, has his hands in his lap, his right hand gripping Yojo, and his eyes stay unmoving.

 

EXT. STREETS OF VALPARAISO – DAY

During the following pair of montages, the MUSIC reiterates the earlier scene of Redburn and Queequeg walking about town, but it seems cast in a darker mood.

 

 

BEGIN ‘REDBURN’S DAY ALONE’ MONTAGE:

Redburn tipping his hat to the prostitutes of the ”La Trampa” inn. He passes with a big grin, and skillful dodging.

Redburn running and kicking a ball with giggling children in the street.

Redburn doffing his hat at well-dressed ladies approaching him on the sidewalk; and doing a double take on the backside of a particularly handsome sailor. This sailor turns and offers him a warm smile.

Redburn slows and regards the cross on the wall.

Redburn slows and is drawn to contemplate the standing coffins. On each is a cross where the face should be.

END ‘REDBURN’S DAY ALONE’ MONTAGE.

 

 

INT. QUEEQUEG’S ROOM – TWILIGHT – LATER

A view out the window shows the sun setting on the horizon. Orange light burnishes clouds, sea and buildings alike. As before, a slow withdrawing shot lands on Queequeg’s face, but now it is witnessing horrors in silent visions.

 

 

BEGIN ‘QUEEQUEG’S VISION’ MONTAGE:

A whaleboat with Redburn in it is next to Moby-Dick. They are in contact with his flank, and Fedallah launches a harpoon, which bounces off. Moby-Dick rears on his side. His great pectoral fin flies out of the water and crashes down.

The boat is crushed into two halves; Redburn treads water.

Suddenly Queequeg is in the water too. He tries to get to his mate.

Queequeg is in the air above Redburn. He tries to reach him.

Queequeg is instantly in the mizzenmast head of the Pequod. He sees the foaming water where Moby-Dick has crushed Redburn’s boat. He sees more men in the water waving to the ship. Then, some make gestures to the fore area.

Queequeg watches in horror as Moby-Dick approaches the Pequod head-on. Just at the second the whale will strike the vessel—

Queequeg is back out over Redburn thrashing in the water. Sharks circle his mate.

Redburn bobs in the water; is pulled under – the water is filled with blood. Redburn’s face rises with profound pain on it. He extends his hand. Queequeg tries to take it. Redburn is ripped apart by sharks.

Yojo floats amidst gore and ship splinters; all else is still.

END ‘QUEEQUEG’S VISION’ MONTAGE.

 

 

INT. QUEEQUEG’S ROOM – MORNING – LATER

The view out the window shows dawn breaking. A slowly receding shot draws back to REDBURN peacefully asleep on the bed. He wears only his drawers. Then the shot goes down to QUEEQUEG sitting as before. As soon as sunlight hits the windowsill, Queequeg stirs, rises and sits on the bed. He quietly strokes the side of his partner’s hair. Redburn wakes, instantly sits in bed and lunges his whole torso into an embrace of Queequeg.

 

REDBURN

(nearly crying)

I was so worried. You didn’t respond to me last night – I thought….

 

Queequeg pushes back on Redburn’s shoulders just enough to look at his face. He blinks, uses his thumb to wipe a tear, then silently pulls Redburn’s forehead to his own.

 

QUEEQUEG

Don’t worry.

(pushes back a little)

Yojo will protect us, but he told me that you alone must pick the ship we will sail on – only you. Understand?

 

Redburn nods, then passionately latches onto the nape of Queequeg’s neck, drawing him into a wild kiss. He raises himself as he hugs Queequeg like he never wants to let him go again. There is sadness on Queequeg’s face, but also love.

 

[Part 4 – IV: Safe/Lazarus]

INT. STARBUCK’S BOAT – DAWN

A rising view from the floor of the boat shows the lantern extinguished and discarded. The fog is beyond thick: the sea, the air, and sky are all one gray and still matrix. A pan of the boat shows the CREW huddling singly, sleeping, shivering, then the shot lingers near the bow on REDBURN and QUEEQUEG. Redburn sleeps warmly in Queequeg’s arms, his hand on his chest; Queequeg’s arms are locked around Redburn’s chest and shoulders. He is vigilant. A sound approaches; an indistinct, low, gurgling HUM. Queequeg stands, pulling Redburn up with him. He hush-fingers him and cups a hand to his ear. Only fog is to be seen, but the sound grows louder, more distinct. Queequeg and Redburn exchange growing round eyes.

 

REDBURN

(shouts)

Abandon boat!

 

As the men stir and repeat the shout, a looming mass rolls towards them through the fog. More shouts, the men jump, and the Pequod plows their boat in two. CREW on the ship shout, and she slows.

 

EXT. SURFACE OF WATER

In the fog, Redburn and Queequeg find each other, and check each other out. They swim to the stopping Pequod.

 

EXT. MAIN DECK OF THE PEQUOD

QUEEQUEG bends over the bulwark and pulls REDBURN up on deck by the scruff of his jersey. Redburn pulls it off his head and shakes it by the flaps to send water out of it. He watches Queequeg go to STARBUCK. They shake hands, smile and generally congratulate each other. As Redburn delivers the following voiceover below, FLASK and STUBBS join them with hearty backslaps.

 

REDBURN (V.O.)

As I shook myself like a near-drownèd poodle dog, the World’s hard hyena laugh rang out in my ears. She laughs at all men’s petty troubles, and makes me think the whole universe is but one vast practical joke of Hers. But man is perennial. He bolts down all events, all creeds; all things hard both visible and invisible. But, Queequeg’s active redemption of my life made me feel as that dead man from his tomb. My savior had rolled away the stone from my heart, and the days I would now live would be as good as that resurrected mortal – Lazarus, whom we are told was the belovèd of Jesus.

 

Queequeg returns to Redburn’s dark smiles with pure joy to be alive. He draws his arm over his partner’s shoulder, and bends his head down to his own. They touch nose-to-nose, eyes locked, and deeply breathe each other’s scent. As they go to their cabin, the following voice over is heard; the shot drifts off the deck to a clearing sky.

 

REDBURN (CONT’D – V.O.)

As I led him below, I looked upon him tranquilly and contentedly. Sitting within the bars of my clean conscience, I was snug within the vault of our family unit.

 

[Part 4 – V: Letters to Hell]

EXT. MAIN DECK OF THE PEQUOD – AFTERNOON

PIP runs barefoot along deck. He catches up with DOUGHBOY at the door to the cookhouse. He looks all around and sees they’re alone. He kisses Doughboy’s cheek, takes the Captain’s platter of salt beef and runs aft. He stops and looks up. TASHEGO in the mizzen lookout is pointing aft. As Pip looks out on the water, Tashego shouts off shot: ”Ship ho!”

 

EXT. QUARTERDECK OF THE PEQUOD

AHAB stands with a megaphone on the starboard side. PIP and DOUGHBOY are next to him; STARBUCK, STUBBS and FLASK stand nearby. A whaler, the Albatross of Nantucket, passes by in hailing distance. The ships slow, but do not stop as they glide by each other.

 

AHAB

Captain Quinn, homeward-bound? Hast thou seen the white whale?

 

QUINN (O.S.)

Aye – for Nantucket! No, Ahab – hunt

you him?

 

AHAB

(quiet)

Aye, just him.

 

QUINN (O.S.)

Are ye New England Bound?

 

AHAB

No, Quinn, no. Tell Nantucket to address all future inquiries to the South Pacific, and in three years’ time if I’m not returned, tell them to send their letters straight to Hell – I’ll get them.

 

The ships pass out of hailing range, and the three mates exchange queasy looks. Just then, DAGGOO shouts from the foremast head.

 

DAGGOO (O.S.)

There she blows!

 

[Part 4 – VI: Second Lowering]

EXT. SURFACE OF WATER – AFTERNOON

Three boats in the water chase a swimming pot of whales. Soon, two of them veer off to protect the rest. STUBBS’ boat follows one, and FLASK’s and STARBUCK’s boats chase the other. As the boats part, the three harpooners hail each other with whoops.

 

INT. STUBBS’ BOAT

The spray hits TASHEGO’s face as he rises.

 

TASHEGO

Whoo-Hoo; Wa-Hee!

 

INT. FLASK’S BOAT

 

DAGGOO

(calling back)

Kee-Hee! Kee-Haw!

 

INT. STARBUCK’S BOAT

QUEEQUEG stands and lets out a deep guttural roar.

 

QUEEQUEG

Ka-la! Koo-Loo!

 

EXT. SURFACE OF WATER

With FLASK and STARBUCK chasing him, it becomes apparent this whale is old: he breaks the surface to look back at them with cataract eyes; one flipper is gnarled with arthritis.

 

INT. STUBBS’ BOAT

They near a young bull of a whale. STUBBS takes the pipe from his mouth.

 

STUBBS

Stand up! Tashego, give it to ‘im!

 

TASHEGO stands and carefully aims, waits for the hump to rise, and hurls his spear. It sinks deep into the whale near his fin.

 

STUBBS (CONT’D)

Stern all!

 

The pipe goes back in the mouth, and the crew row backwards. Stubbs quickly loops the line twice around the kingpost, and it stiffens and pings taut near some crewmembers’ heads. Stubbs braces the rope in his hands, locking a foot against the post, but it slips and begins to burn his hands.

 

STUBBS (CONT’D)

Wet the line! Wet the line.

 

The nearest crewman whips his hat off and dips it in the sea. He splashes water over the line near Stubbs’ palms. The line holds; the men pull in oars, and the boat takes off.

   

EXT. SURFACE OF WATER

The old whale swims erratically; his spout is now almost continually spraying in his panting gasps for air; he falters side-to-side, his strong fin carrying him to one side until he corrects his course back to straight with great efforts. Flask’s boat is gaining on him, and Starbuck is close behind.

 

INT. FLASK’S BOAT

They pull up to the old whale’s flank. FLASK stands.

 

FLASK

Strike him. Daggoo – now!

 

DAGGOO rises and instantaneously launches his harpoon. The whale flinches, turns away, the line catches and pulls the boat. Oars lift out of the water.

 

DAGGOO

(holds on)

Kee-Haw!

 

INT. STUBBS’ BOAT

The young buck of a whale tows the boat like a wakeboard, rocking it from bow to stern and splashing the crews’ faces with spray. They grab onto the gunwales and deliriously laugh at the hellish ride. STUBBS and TASHEGO have traded positions. The whale ejects a mighty spout and slows considerably.

 

STUBBS

(panic)

Haul in! – Haul in!

 

The whale spins around to attack the boat. Stubbs hurls a barbed spear. The water is awash in blood. The faces of the crew glow red from the reflected light. Stubbs is getting a workout. He hauls in the line with the spear and it is covered in gore and bits of whale flesh. He pulls it in and sees it is freshly bent. He pauses and curses the whale.

 

STUBBS (CONT’D)

Die already, bastard!

 

INT. FLASK’S BOAT

The boat glides to a dead stop on the water. The line pulls straight down. Starbuck’s boat comes close.

 

INT. STARBUCK’S BOAT

 

STARBUCK

(shouts to Flask)

Sounding, eh?

 

FLASK

Straight to the bottom, but he can’t hold the pressure. He’s a granddad!

 

EXT. SURFACE OF WATER

Suddenly a great rush of bubbles appears, and the old whale surfaces right between the boats. FLASK, now in the bow, launches his lance, while QUEEQUEG in his bow lands a harpoon. As the crew of Starbuck’s boat secures the line, Starbuck and Queequeg change places. The whale thrashes side-to-side and sprays both boats with his spout. He is making desperate, guttural clicking sounds like screams. With his every thrash and twist he gets furthered coiled in line. Now Starbuck begins to spear him relentlessly and the water turns bloody.

 

INT. STUBBS’ BOAT

The young bull whale is waning fast.

 

STUBBS

Pull up; pull up!

 

The boat crew hauls in the line, pulling the launch right up to the angry whale’s side. Stubbs grabs his lance, stands on the gunwale, stretches one foot to brace on the whale’s flesh, and digs his lance in like a posthole digger near the fluke, and where the heart is closest. He brutally twists the lance in deep as gore shoots out of the wound. He balances and extracts the blade; then he sinks it in deeper than before. Again, he twists, and this time a torrent of blood washes over him. He has pierced the heart. The whale spasms in its death, but Stubbs – looking pissed at it – spits the victim’s blood out of his mouth and back onto the fast-dying creature.

 

TASHEGO

(coming up behind Stubbs)

He’s dead. Mr. Stubbs.

 

Stubbs pulls his pipe from his lips, and taps the bowl upside over the corpse.

 

STUBBS

Aye, Tosh. Both pipes smoked out.

 

INT. STARBUCK’S BOAT

Twisting and trashing as he is, REDBURN gets a good look at the elderly whale.

 

REDBURN

(to Queequeg, in POLYNESIAN with subtitles)

I’d pity him, but pity there is none.

 

INT. FLASK’S BOAT

Still standing and hauling in line, FLASK sees the old whale turn in the water. He watches its belly roll up, then a wicked leer spreads across the man’s face. He takes his lance and runs to the stern, using crew heads to brace himself. Waiting, the whale shows its undertail, and Flask aims straight for its testicles.

 

STARBUCK

(shouts; horrified)

No! Flask, no!

 

FLASK

(ignoring Starbuck)

A nice spot – just let me prick him

once there.

 

Flask, with malice on his face, spears the old whale’s scrotum. The whale turns; jerks the lines and the boats close together. His spray is now full of black gore and bile. It splashes both crews in their faces, but soon the whale quits moving, turns on his side and pants. He begins to drown as water enters his lungs.

 

INT. STARBUCK’S BOAT

REDBURN stands and watches the old whale die.

 

REDBURN (V.O.)

He lies panting on his side like a dog, each breath a spray of gore. It was most pathetic, but ‘pity’ there was none, for despite his old age, his one mangled arm, and his blind eyes, he must die the death of those murdered in order to feed the oil-addicted world its gore – to light the festive bridals, the drinking parties of the men, and the solemn churches where is preached that golden maxim: ‘What you do to the least of my brethren, you do to me.’

 

The upper half of the whale, still caught tightly in the lines coiled around him, begins to shift lower in the bloody water. Suddenly both boats are hauled precipitously by its downward drag.

 

STARBUCK

He’s sinking…. Cut the lines.

(shouts)

Flask! He won’t float. Cut him free!

 

INT. FLASK’S BOAT

 

FLASK

The hell I will….

 

But as he says this, he nearly loses his balance, and the gunwale dips precariously close to the waterline.

 

FLASK (CONT’D)

(to Daggoo)

Cut him.

 

Daggoo does, and the boat rights itself violently. They watch as Starbuck cuts his lines, and the old whale quickly glides out of sight below water.

 

INT. STARBUCK’S BOAT

 

REDBURN

(to Queequeg)

What a waste.

 

[Part 5 – Reflection – I: Stubbs’ Gloat]

EXT. MAIN DECK OF THE PEQUOD – SUNSET

The boat crews are on board; the boats are being raised and secured. STUBBS is in a lively mood. AHAB and STARBUCK regard this cheeriness with some contempt. FLASK hangs back.

 

AHAB

Secure the whale for the night, Mr. Starbuck.

 

STARBUCK

Aye, aye, sir.

 

Ahab heads for the cabin. After a while, the First Mate follows suit.

 

STARBUCK

Mr. Stubbs, you are in charge.

 

STUBBS

Aye, aye, Mr. Starbuck.

 

Stubbs bides his time in suppressed jollity watching Starbuck and Flask retire below deck.

 

STUBBS (CONT’D)

(loud)

Secure the quarry, men! We’ll be two hulls tonight – one living, one – dead. The sharks won’t eat much of him.

 

Heavy chains are dragged across deck to starboard.

 

EXT. WATERLINE ON STARBOARD SIDE

MEN lower the cutting stages and secure the whale with fluke chains.

    

EXT. MAIN DECK

Sounds of men working continue. STUBBS reaches out and stops DAGGOO from going to the cabin.

 

STUBBS

(low)

A steak. What say you, Daggoo? A steak for you and the harpooners…eh? Overboard with you, and cut us a goodly side of them from the small – yeah? By the fluke, lad – it’s the most savory locale.

 

Daggoo licks his lips, looks about and nods.

 

[Part 5 – II: Stubbs’ Supper]

EXT. MAIN DECK OF THE PEQUOD, NEAR THE COOKHOUSE – NIGHT

A shot of the moon high in the sky proves it late. A pan down to the waterline shows the dark forms of sharks eating from the whale. In the dim light, the sounds of the THRASHING and RIPPING of flesh is ominous. The angle rotates, and we see it has been STUBBS watching them. He is leaning on the bulwarks, but stands and moves to the capstan. A lit lamp is there, at his supper table. He can see the rectangle of light from the cookhouse door. Suddenly it darkens. DAGGOO comes out with a plate and flatware. He nods sociably at Stubbs, and comes to him. He sets the plate down, and the light hits a medium-rare and fatty piece of meat. Stubbs licks his chops, and starts to cut in. He chews his first bite with obvious relish, but that self-satisfied glint fades as his eyes re-alight on the glow from the lamp’s wick. In the quiet, the sounds of SHARKS reassert themselves. He speaks to Daggoo with a half-full mouth.

 

STUBBS

Daggoo, where’s that old cook?

 

DAGGOO

In his bunk. I cooked that myself.

 

Stubbs widens his stance, cuts and eats another chunk. His tone is laughing.

 

STUBBS

Well, in that case, I say Doc, this ain’t done to my liking – no, sir. Too overdone. See, I killed this here leviathan not six hours ago, and the fresher the meat, the lesser the fire. You ask those sharks there, they’ll tell you!

 

Stubbs eats with a smile; Daggoo makes to go.

 

STUBBS (CONT’D)

You a religious man, Daggoo?

 

Daggoo is half puzzled, half amused. He gives himself a good head scratch.

 

DAGGOO

Raised as such.

 

STUBBS

(waves his fork at him)

What a shindig they’re kicking up over the side there, eh?

(Daggoo is silent; Stubbs stands upright, gestures to the flame)

I was looking here, Doc – eating by the light of a whale lamp – and suddenly recalled the biblical injunction against cooking goat in its mother’s milk – one of the real ten commandments. Eating whale by the light of its own oil should also anger the God of Moses, shouldn’t it, against a wicked-souled man; don’t you think?

 

DAGGOO

I don’t know about that, but the first man who ever ‘murdered’ an ox, might have hanged for it – and, if'in he was tried by a bovine jury, then he surely did!

 

STUBBS

(much relieved)

Why by the tooth of a cannibal’s jaw – I see your point. If the Big Man upstairs is just, then a hungry native of Fiji pickling a plump missionary for lean times ahead is less damned than a fat man nailing a goose to a barn floor for his cursed pâté.

 

DAGGOO

(wanting to go)

I suppose people are hypocrites, on land or sea. Think of those lubbers, holier-than-thou land hunters, carving their roast venison with antler cutlery. They are just as heartless.

 

Stubbs stops Daggoo by setting his flatware down and striding up to him.

 

STUBBS

Daggoo, what day of the week do you reckon it is?

 

DAGGOO

Afore midnight; it’s still Saturday. At eight bells, it will be Sunday morning.

 

STUBBS

(lip smacks)

Aye – and hear those sharks? They with us will make a bloody Sabbath of it too. Ex officio, you know, whalemen just like the sharks, all are Sabbath-breakers. Yes, come morning, Doc, the Pequod will greet God’s Holy Day with a shambles; every sailor a butcher. By noon, He’ll look down and think we’re offering up ten thousand red oxen to some pagan sea god – and maybe we will.

 

DAGGOO

(slow inward laugh)

Yes, sir, I can see it now – them sharks roving under the meat, us sailors carving it from up top – but if'in you were to turn the whole mess upside-down, it’d still be pretty much the same thing.

 

Daggoo laughs.

 

STUBBS

(slaps a thigh; joins in with an uproar)

Right you are! A shocking, sharkish business enough for both parties. I heard tale that schools of them follow slave ships, and that come morning, they eye the decks like hungry pups up to the breakfast table.

 

DAGGOO

(stops laughing)

They know where they can always fetch a meal – cruel training that, if you ask me….

 

STUBBS

(serious)

I agree. Say, Daggoo, where about were you whelped?

 

DAGGOO

Liberia, sir.

 

STUBBS

Your folks – make ‘the passage?’

 

DAGGOO

Grand sires, I suppose.

 

STUBBS

Yes, better you be housed on safe New England soil. Doc, you go to church?

 

DAGGOO

Can’t say I do anymore – but recently I passed one in Valparaiso!

 

STUBBS

(laughs)

Good. For I have it in my mind that as a parson, your particular brand of dour joy could convert even a pack of sharksome hearts. I figure you should try your tongue at it right now.

 

DAGGOO

What say you?

 

Stubbs picks up the lamp, and puts it in Daggoo’s hand. Then he drapes his arm over the back of Daggoo’s shoulder, and points both them to face the starboard bulwarks.

 

STUBBS

(walking them over)

I say, go and tell them they are welcome to help themselves to the bounty we have provided, but they must feast with respect to their Providers – in moderation – and with civilized heart, at least for each other. Go and preach the Word to them.

 

Daggoo leans over the bulwarks with the raised light and a wry grin.

 

DAGGOO

Listen here, fellow critters – fellow voracious critters – I don’t blame you so much for your greedy and wasteful ways, that’s your nature; that is the point.

(looks to Stubbs, who nods in approval)

Y’all are sharks, certain; but if you gobble up the shark within you, why then you’d be an angel – for an angel is nothing more than a shark well-swallowed down. Don’t be tearing the blubber out of your brother’s mouth, I say. It is not one shark as good as any? Is not one right to that whale as true as other claims? But by God, the bounty of that whale was provided by another, so don’t act like it can’t just as easily be ripped away from you.

 

Daggoo stands and positions the light between them. It shines under both men’s chins.

 

STUBBS

(impressed)

Well done, lad! That’s the gospel of true Christianity, and respect for Nature – go to it!

 

DAGGOO

It’s no good, sir. Like men, they have no ears to hear goodness. They’re like the rest of the world: they have the nameless hunger in them, and it won’t let them listen until their bellies are full – but, their wants are bottomless.

 

STUBBS

Aye, Doc. They are just like Man.

 

Daggoo walks to the capstan, sets the light down, picks up the empty plate, and turns for the cookhouse. Stubbs still does not want to be alone.

 

STUBBS (CONT’D)

And, for the future – when you cook the next steak for my private table, the capstan, here’s how you do it. Hold the steak with a two-pronged fork in one hand, and show a live coal to it with the other. That’s it. Dish it up, you hear?

(Daggoo shrugs, and laughs)

And I want you to know, I agree. Some men think they’re better than others and act like sharks eating their own entrails – but good men, like me and you Doc, we know better.

 

Before Daggoo can say anything, the ship’s bell begins to RING eight times. The watch is changing. A sleepy QUEEQUEG and TASHEGO come on deck and relieve Stubbs, who heads to the cabin with a jocular head-nod for Daggoo. Daggoo goes to the cookhouse, and soon its light goes out. He exits it with a platter of cooked steaks for the three harpooners and heads to the capstan. In the meantime, Queequeg and Tashego have walk to the starboard bulwarks and leaned over. They watch the seething mass of sharks a moment in silence. Queequeg gets an idea. He stands upright.

 

QUEEQUEG

Let’s lower the cutting stages.

 

Queequeg begins to unfasten one; Tashego helps. They lower it. Then they do the same with the other. Queequeg gets two long spears. He hands one to Tashego, motions to one of the platforms and heads to the other one.

 

EXT. CUTTING STANDS

QUEEQUEG and TASHEGO stand there. Suddenly Queequeg spears a shark in the head, and it drops slowly like a stone into the deep. Tashego follows suit. As they murder sharks, they chat.

 

QUEEQUEG

What say your people about sharks?

 

TASHEGO

Nothing much. The Great Spirit made them, like all things. Yours?

 

QUEEQUEG

Sharks are the angry, unhappy souls of men whose earthly desires went unfulfilled. It’s best to free them; so they can be reborn free.

 

Soon the shark slaughter infuriates the sharks. As they roil, the spears glance off and eviscerate them. The fresh blood makes them turn on each other. Some eat their own guts, and they spill out again.

 

QUEEQUEG

(low)

Bad men, like our Captain.

 

TASHEGO

(about the sharks)

They are mad….

 

QUEEQUEG

Look at them, Tashego. No one cares who made Shark – Odo, King of the Gods in Polynesia, or the Native American Great Spirit of Nantucket…

(laughs)

…But I suppose only the White Devils’ God would take credit for creating something as heartless as a shark.

 

Daggoo has come up to watch fetch them to supper.

 

DAGGOO

Dinnertime, fellas.

 

The three chuckle together in good humor for a moment, and then Tashego and Queequeg renew the slaughter with vigor before they go.

 

[Part 5 – III: Queequeg’s Peek-A-Boo Kilt]

EXT. MAIN DECK OF THE PEQUOD – MORNING

White sea birds rove the sky above the ship like slow-motion streaks on a blue china plate. Near the cutting platforms, REDBURN stands shirtless at the starboard bulwarks with a rope tied around his waist. He hears a pendulous rattle and looks up to see the heavy cutting tackle swing overhead, and be positioned above the whale carcass chained down below. His eyes follow the tackle down to where TASHEGO and DAGGOO stand on the platforms. With long blades they slice two lines to form a ‘blanket piece.’ [16] Now, as Redburn grips it with two hands, the rope’s purpose becomes clear. The other end is tied around QUEEQUEG’s waist.

 

EXT. SURFACE OF THE WHALE

QUEEQUEG wears a long and baggy red woolen shirt. It forms a sort of kilt as it comes down to his mid thighs, and is cinched at his waist with a broad leather belt. REDBURN lets out slack, and Queequeg bends down to kneel on the whale. He sinks his bowie knife deep and connects the two long slits with a short connecting one. Then he makes a gouge large enough to take the tackle hook. He stands; the hook is lowered into his beckoning hands, and he inserts it in the gouge. He stands and gives a signal. The men at the windlass haul in, and the blanket piece rips off neatly. As the whale begins to rotate in the water like a log – as the fat is hoisted and peeled off – Queequeg stays and jogs with it. He glances up to his partner and smiles.

 

EXT. MAIN DECK OF THE PEQUOD

From REDBURN’s perspective, QUEEQUEG smiles, then runs sideways to amuse his mate. Now his back is to Redburn, and Queequeg reaches behind to flip up the skirt of his kilt and moon his lover. Redburn laughs outright. As the blanket piece is hoisted high in the air and frees itself from the carcass, men on deck reach out for it swinging over them to the hold hatchway. Redburn grins and keeps his eyes on Queequeg.

 

REDBURN (V.O.)

Watching him, I perceived my individuality was merged in a joint company of two – that it was as if my freewill had received a mortal wound from his awesome ‘harpoon.’ And so, for better or worse, we two were wed; and the rope insured that should Queequeg sink to rise no more, spousal honor demanded I should post-haste follow in his wake. I saw in us an interregnum in Providence; for Its even-handed equity could never sanction loss to one partner, lest the other suffer too.

 

[Part 5 – IV: A Squeeze of the Hand]

EXT. MAIN DECK OF THE PEQUOD – NOON

The sun overhead casts no shadows. In the stillness of the midday heat, the sea birds are more brazen. From perches in the rigging, they swoop down to snatch scraps of whale fat off the deck. REDBURN, QUEEQUEG and two other members of the CREW sit cross-legged against the sides of a large and shallow tun. Their hands are thrust to the elbows in spermaceti, the white and semi-transparent contents of the area at the front of a sperm whale’s head. Redburn and Queequeg begin to play under the surface. First, the sides of their hands brush, then ride under and over each other, then they frankly begin to explore each other with loving candor. Their eyes meet shyly, hoping their crewmembers are none the wiser.

  

[Part 5 – V: Love in a Longboat]

INT. LONGBOAT OF THE PEQUOD – LATE AFTERNOON

The sun is heading to the horizon; on the sea, birds follow it to the nearest land. REDBURN and QUEEQUEG lie flat, side-by-side, with hands behind their heads and look up. Redburn rises on one elbow. Queequeg smiles knowingly and pats Redburn’s breast pocket. He reaches in and takes out Toby’s picture. He opens it and kisses the picture, on his mates’ side, then closes it and puts it back into Redburn’s pocket. Redburn laughs a moment, then lovingly caresses Queequeg’s cheek. The Māori responds by extending his arm, and Redburn resettles on it with his head on Queequeg’s chest.

 

REDBURN

Such sweet duty today, eh? Squeezing that spermaceti to keep it lump-free before processing.

(Queequeg’s hand goes up to stroke Redburn’s hair)

My fingers felt like eels, and they began to serpentine and wriggle towards yours.

(Queequeg lowers his hand, and Redburn takes it; smells it)

And that aroma, uncontaminated, truly like the smell of spring violets. For that time we lived in a musky meadow, and I forgot all about our horrible blood-oath to Ahab. I washed my hands and my heart in it; in that inexpressible sperm.

 

Their fingers play. Redburn pushes back to hold his mate’s eyes; he reaches down and loosens Queequeg’s fly. The Polynesian’s face relaxes, looking utterly pleased and miserable at the same time. Redburn begins to pleasure him, tease him, and relishes his mate’s growing passion.

 

REDBURN (CONT’D)

Imagine drowning in the stuff; a precious perishing to smother oneself in a well of sperm – that which is the very whitest, truly daintiest, and the most fragrant of all of Nature’s varied honeys.

 

Queequeg stiffens slightly – silently-begging Redburn to stop. Redburn responds by drawing his mouth close to Queequeg’s cheek. He continues his pace down below.

 

REDBURN (CONT’D)

Today with you I was continually squeezing your hands, and looking into your eyes, as much to say: ‘Come, squeeze hands all round; let us squeeze…’

 

Queequeg grips hard on his lovers hand; he begins to orgasm, and Redburn presses his mouth lightly over his mouth to catch his climatic breaths.

 

REDBURN (CONT’D)

(soft)

‘…Let us squeeze ourselves into one another, into the very sperm of human kindness.’

 

Queequeg secures Redburn by the back of the head and kisses him passionately.

 

 

_

 

 

 

     
Copyright © 2017 AC Benus; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

This chapter immerses us into a strange and bloody world that did actually exist.

It disturbs us. It was disturbing back then as well, but had to be endured. It's the

way things were. Queequeg is remarkable. Redburn is a lucky guy, -so far...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 12/13/2013 05:54 AM, Stephen said:
This chapter immerses us into a strange and bloody world that did actually exist.

It disturbs us. It was disturbing back then as well, but had to be endured. It's the

way things were. Queequeg is remarkable. Redburn is a lucky guy, -so far...

Thank you, Stephen as always, for your support. I hope you read to the end of this screenplay, and found tears and joy in it as i did in writing it.
Link to comment

Still here. I lost my way a bit with this chapter and had to re-read certain sections to be sure I understood what was happening. I don't give up easy so I'll return tomorrow.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Dodger said:

Still here. I lost my way a bit with this chapter and had to re-read certain sections to be sure I understood what was happening. I don't give up easy so I'll return tomorrow.

Thanks, Dodger. I appreciate it. Hope you are digging the tale so far :) 

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..