Jump to content
    AC Benus
  • Author
  • 884 Words
  • 532 Views
  • 4 Comments
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

My Wedding Stuff - 1. Wedding Ceremony, December 29th, 2014

The text of our marriage service

Wedding Ceremony, December 29th, 2014

Note: this is the text of our upcoming ceremony, and it incorporates much of the Office of Same-Sex Union as used by the Roman Catholic Church from about 750 AD to 1500 AD. We will have a minister officiate, and the following is what she says during the proceedings. Wish us luck…although after 22 years, I doubt there is much guess-work on what is on the horizon for us ;)


 

Welcoming:

We are gathered here in the presence of God, family and friends for the purpose of uniting in marriage, AC and SK.

SK and AC, no words of mine or any other person truly marry each of you to the other. Your marriage today is a continuation and reaffirmation of the bond you have already built over many years together. You do not enter this lightly, but with the love and acknowledgement of what it means already.

You are partners standing together to cushion the difficulties of life, and you rejoice in your partner's strengths, and accept his shortcomings. Nurture this next step of your relationship carefully and celebrate it often, as you grow old together in joy and fulfillment.


 

Opening Prayer:

O Lord Our God, Ruler of all and creator of mankind after thine own image, and who did bless thy holy apostles Philip and Bartholomew to be partners, and likewise thy holy martyrs Serge and Bacchus to be united, not bound by the bonds of blood but by the Holy Spirit. Send down, most gracious Lord, the Holy Spirit upon these thy servants, SK and AC, whom you have found worthy to be joined before thy sight. Grant them thy grace to love one another unashamed, in joy, and without injury all the days of their lives. Allow them the aid of the holy Mother of God and of all thy saints. For You are our unity, our certainty, and our bond of peace, now and forever.

 

 

Invocation:

We now unite our hearts and minds with SK and AC –

We know not what the future may bring into your lives, but we ask that together you may be equal to the needs of your tomorrows as you have been in the past.

May you continue to have patience in time of strain, strength in time of weakness, courage in time of disappointment, vision in time of doubt, and above all, an ever-abiding love.

May the love in your hearts and the greatness of life's possibilities give you joy, and the assurance of your friends' good wishes give you peace and strength.


 

Second Prayer:

O Lord Our God, who did command us to love one another and to forgive each other's failings, do Thou, Ruler and most kind lover of good, bless and consecrate these thy servants who love one another with a love of the soul and who have come before thy Grace to be blessed. Grant unto them the unashamed fidelity and true love that Thou did vouchsafe amongst thy holy disciples and apostles, for to Thee belongs all glory, honor and worship. Amen. [1]


 

Vows:

Do you AC, take SK, to be your lawful wedded husband? To have and to hold from this day forward, for better or for worse, for richer or for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish forever?


Do you, SK, take AC, to be your lawful wedded husband? To have and to hold from this day forward, for better or for worse, for richer or for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish forever?


 

Ring Exchange:


These rings are made of precious metals, a symbol of the riches that reside in each of you: and as any metal is purified by the white heat of testing, so has your love been purified by the tests you have faced through the many seasons of your life. May you find ways to express daily the miracle of the love that the two of you share together.


AC, I give you this ring as a sign of my love, and I continue to choose you to share my life's journey. With this ring, I marry you.


SK, I give you this ring as a sign of my love, and I continue to choose you to share my life's journey. With this ring, I marry you.


As by these rings you symbolize your marriage bond, may their meaning sink into your hearts and further bind your lives together by devotion and closeness to one another. In mutual self-respect, and in ever-deepening love for each other, may you maintain a home filled with the spirit of faith, truth and goodness.

     

 

Closing:

And now, in as much as you, SK and AC, have given and pledged your love and faithfulness, each to the other, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the State of California, I now pronounce you spouses for life.

Please welcome your marriage with a kiss.


 


 



[1]The two prayers are from Vaticanus Graecus 1811 [1147], eleventh century Roman Catholic ordinance for the sacrament of the Office of Same-Sex Union. See Appendix of Translations 9, to John Boswell's Same-Sex Unions in Premodern Europe, New York 1994

Copyright © 2014 AC Benus; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

And this service was around until the 16th Century? Why the Reformation didn't take it up is a surprise, because I had not heard of it until you mentioned it. Sadly it just goes to show how Man's prejudices and interpretations overpower what Christ's teachings really were. Early female priests and bishops were quickly replaced as they did not fit into the model of ancient Roman society the early Church preserved--a woman had very few rights and no power in that society, so of course the Church cast out the earliest practices of equality.

 

By your officiant being a woman, I am certain this isn't a Catholic ceremony--Episcopalian or Lutheran perhaps?

 

Such a beautiful service...I'll be shedding some tears on the 29th, thinking of the happy event going on in the Bay Area. Twenty-two years is just awesomely fantastic--may there be at least that many more!

  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 12/23/2014 at 10:42 AM, ColumbusGuy said:

And this service was around until the 16th Century? Why the Reformation didn't take it up is a surprise, because I had not heard of it until you mentioned it. Sadly it just goes to show how Man's prejudices and interpretations overpower what Christ's teachings really were. Early female priests and bishops were quickly replaced as they did not fit into the model of ancient Roman society the early Church preserved--a woman had very few rights and no power in that society, so of course the Church cast out the earliest practices of equality.

 

By your officiant being a woman, I am certain this isn't a Catholic ceremony--Episcopalian or Lutheran perhaps?

 

Such a beautiful service...I'll be shedding some tears on the 29th, thinking of the happy event going on in the Bay Area. Twenty-two years is just awesomely fantastic--may there be at least that many more!

Thank you, ColumbuGuy, and since you mention the history part, I will say that before about 750 AD, nobody got married in the church. Civil society took care of all legalities, but as it began to fade as Europe slid into disorder, the church reluctantly had to step in. The point is that the sacrament of same-sex union and opposite-sex marriage ceremonies arose at the same moment in time, and were very, very aligned in their wording.

All of the Catholic Churches (Roman, Greek Orthodox, Armenian, Syrian, etc.) had this holy write for same-sex partners marrying for life, and the wordings between them is remarkably similar. If you can order Boswell's book from the library, I am sure you will enjoy reading it. As for the timing, I will have to look it up, but I believe the author found that the last public use of the Office of Same-Sex Union by the Church in Rome was in about 1550. It ended very poorly, as it was a mass wedding of I believe seven couples, and later all were rounded up and burned at the stake, along with the officiating priest. 'christians,' huh?

That notwithstanding, nothing can take away the fact of how wide-spread and 'no big deal' even most of the history of Christianity regarded love and commitment by Gay men and women. Hell, one wording of this ceremony even sites that Peter and Paul were a couple! And why not? They were just following the tradition they knew best as exampled by Christ himself.

I also love how each of the various ceremonies use the same word, and tell the couples to be 'unashamed' and hold their heads up high.

Edited by AC Benus
Link to comment

Thank you so much for sharing, AC, and many, many wishes of love, joy, and peace to your special day. For us, even after 25 years of being "married" before NY allowed us to be "legally married", the act of doing the public marriage was special. I hope y'all feel that wonder as well. Blessings to you and SK!

  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 12/24/2014 10:10 AM, hillj69 said:
Thank you so much for sharing, AC, and many, many wishes of love, joy, and peace to your special day. For us, even after 25 years of being "married" before NY allowed us to be "legally married", the act of doing the public marriage was special. I hope y'all feel that wonder as well. Blessings to you and SK!
Thank you, hillj69, for all your kinds thoughts.
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..