Jump to content
    AC Benus
  • Author
  • 11,113 Words
  • 330 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

OMOO - A Lost Soul in the South Seas - A Film Script - 3. Parts 5 and 6

.

[Part 5 – With Drawn-Back Fist – I: Strained Life on the Longboat]

INT. LONGBOAT AT SEA – EARLY MORNING

Under sail, waves SLOSH against the sides of the boat. JARL stands mid-boat notching an oar with his jackknife. There are thirteen other notches. REDBURN is sitting in the bow of the boat. He is uncomfortable. The aft section of the boat is shaded by a spare sail, spread as an awning. Both men look drawn, tired, and sun-exposed.

 

REDBURN

How many days now?

 

JARL

Fourteen.

 

Jarl leisurely half rises and checks the sail. He fetches a small keg and returns to sit before the mast, close to Redburn. Jarl lovingly cradles the keg between his knees. He reaches into one pocket and extracts a pipe; from the other, a tinderbox. He carefully removes the keg lid and packs his pipe. Clenching the pipe by his teeth, he puts the lid back, and makes a small mound of tinder. He strikes a spark into the tinder and deftly scoops it up with the bowl of his pipe. He draws the ember through the pipe to a smoky fire. Jarl leans back self-contented, and is miffed to look up into a hostile glare from Redburn. As Jarl smokes in long even breaths, Redburn begins to ape around in the bow to get Jarl’s attention. This spoils Jarl’s buzz.

 

JARL (CONT’D)

(curtly)

What.

 

REDBURN

(sourly)

More of your ‘Ganja?’

 

Jarl draws in a slow draught and forces a controlled exhale as he speaks.

 

JARL

And what do you have against the noble Indian Weed?

 

REDBURN

Nothing – except, it puts you into a deeper reverie than your usual, taciturn state.

 

Jarl answers with a prolonged silence. His weed is smoked. He taps out the soot.

 

JARL

Seems you often don’t want to hear what I have to say. Why argue, if to open my mouth guarantees it?

 

REDBURN

But my God, Jarl – it’s like you have lockjaw! You have as much fizz and bubble about your personality as an excommunicated deacon! What sailor doesn’t spend hours retelling his old tales?

 

Jarl sits up and leans elbows on his knees. He is frank.

 

JARL

The kind that is constantly denounced by his mate for having already ‘told that one.’

 

Redburn stands and moves around heedless of the danger.

 

REDBURN

Your moody affairs are like a dour accountant forever reckoning balance sheets that will never tabulate. God – to be at sea with a bean counter! Is it wrong to want something enlivening? A burst of words; a flash of temper; human vivacity of some kind!

 

Jarl eyes him in blinking silence.

 

REDBURN

(tone slows to hurtful malice)

Skyeman – account for your gravity. I know you are no great philosopher; no builder of mental ideals; no dreamer of aerial architecture – you don’t waste time on intangibles – so what in Neptune’s name do you spend your meditative silence brooding upon?

 

Jarl stands with drawn-back fist. Redburn is doubly surprised to see this physical threat, and how Jarl’s eyes glaze over. It looks like Jarl is about to pummel him and cry while doing it. THUMP. Suddenly the boat is rocked to one side. Jarl and Redburn grab and fall onto the side of the boat. The boat rights itself, and the men rush to the side the thump was felt. They brace themselves and peer into the water.

 

REDBURN (CONT’D)

(quietly)

What was that?

 

JARL

(as if to himself)

A reef; a surfacing whale; a—

 

As they watch, a monstrous form rises from below the boat. Jarl grabs the flesh-cutting pole strapped to the side of the boat. He rips off the leather blade protector. He braces himself with one foot on the side of the boat and raises his spear.

 

JARL (CONT’D)

Where is it?

 

REDBURN

It’s still here.

 

A ten-foot basking shark rises into view under the water. Silver flashes from pilot fish swimming front, flank and rear of the shark. As Jarl aims, the shark sinks out of sight.

 

REDBURN (CONT’D)

He’s gone.

 

Jarl draws down and lowers his weapon. Soft MUSIC introduces Jarl’s love theme. [1]

 

REDBURN (CONT’D)

I’m sorry.

 

JARL

You didn’t scare him off.

 

Redburn picks up the leather cover from the bottom of the boat. He grasps for the dangerous end of Jarl’s spear, and raises it. Jarl steadies it while Redburn sheaths the blade; Redburn’s eyes stay on Jarl’s the whole time. After it is secure, Redburn takes the pole and places it in its correct location. He takes Jarl by the hand and leads him to the shaded area. He gestures for Jarl to lie down, and Redburn lies next to him.

 

REDBURN

Fourteen days – how many more?

 

JARL

Fourteen more, at least.

 

Redburn takes Jarl’s arm and extends it so he can rest his head on it.

 

REDBURN

Death is the only enemy of all. We are floating like a cork on a sea of the stuff. If it can’t hold us together, nothing can.

 

Redburn rotates his head to study Jarl’s profile.

 

REDBURN (CONT’D)

I’m lucky I survived the Julia to be here

with you.

 

[Part 5 – II: Jarman’s Second Attempt at Leadership]

INT. LONGBOAT OF THE JULIA – MID-AFTERNOON

CAPTAIN GUY is bundled tight in blankets. His teeth rattle. His eyes are tight shut against the tropical sun. He is lying uncomfortably in the center of a longboat rowed by four members of the CREW. Ahead of the men is the craggy inlet to the bay of Pape’ete, Tahiti, a couple of miles away. Green mountains rise in the distance.

 

EXT. BULWARKS OF THE JULIA

BUNGS, CHIPS, THE FINN, ROPY, SALEM, LONG GHOST, two of the SICK MEN, and other members of the CREW line the bulwarks watching Guy being rowed ashore in resentful silence. The presence of the island a few miles away is palpable; palm trees, waterfalls, breezes, breakers crashing on coral reefs near shore.

 

BUNGS

The bastard…to trick us – tacking the Julia like this at sea – right in front of our goal!

 

CHIPS

Tahiti. So close we can smell the sweet water, feel the grass and palms in our noses—

 

JARMAN jumps on the windlass and whistles sharply to get the crew’s attention. BEMBO stands between Jarman and the bulwarks.

 

JARMAN

Men! Listen to me.

 

The crew gathers around the front of the windlass. Chips rudely shoulders Bembo and steps in front of him. Once settled to hear Jarman, Bembo steps in front of Chips with back turned to him.

 

CHIPS

(under his breath to Bungs)

Put a savage in a pair of breeches and he suddenly feels a white man’s equal.

 

Chips noisily hocks phlegm in his throat, steps to Bembo’s side, and spits it at the Māori’s feet, glaring at him. Bembo looks down at the filth, then up to Chips who is wiping his lips with the back of his hand. Bembo, reining in his temper, slowly moves to in front of the windlass, folds arms and stares down Chips and Bungs.

 

JARMAN

The Captain’s no seaman. He’s a lubber from the East End of London! As far as I’m concerned, let him go back there and leave the sailing to the sailors! We don’t need him, men. He’s the one keeping us from our quarry. Leave Guy in Tahiti, says I. Let the men, the real men, take ‘Lil Jule’ on the hunt and put dollars in each and every one of our pockets.

 

CHIPS

Damn ye, Jarman. Take us into Papeetee, anchor us and let discharge those who want discharge.

 

JARMAN

Damned fool. All of you who think the same – damned fools! Stick with me, men. A jovial life we’ll make of it too – the Pisco will flow, the hunting will be easy. I can’t count the casks of oil we’ll have in a month or two. And, the next time, my hearties, we see Tahiti, we’ll be rich. We’ll pick up the Captain – if he lives – and return to Sydney as sailor-heroes.

 

SALEM

(hot with anger)

Put us to anchor, and have done with it!

 

JARMAN

Long Ghost – you’ll be reinstated as officer; live in the cabin, where you belong…

 

Jarman remembers Long Ghost’s chum.

 

JARMAN (CONT’D)

…And, Redburn here, you’ll be a junior mate, and I’ll teach you all the mystical science behind the quadrant and sextant. What say ye?!

 

LONG GHOST

(casually to the crew)

Should the Captain leave his vessel, the crew are no longer bound by her articles…

 

Long Ghost defies Jarman.

 

LONG GHOST (CONT’D)

…Contract void!

 

The crew regard one another in suppressed hope.

 

JARMAN

Hogwash! Such mutinous reckonings have never been sanctioned by the Marine Court of Law! You are still duty-bound.

 

Long Ghost coldly paces the deck before the crew as if he owned it.

 

LONG GHOST

He and Bembo can’t run the ship alone. Refuse to work, men. He’ll have no choice but to haul us into port.

 

REDBURN

No duty, unless it is to take ‘Lil Jule’ into Papeetee. Who’s with us?!

 

The crew cheers, and begins to run riot. Jarman becomes painfully aware of the pointlessness of being on the windlass. He looks down into Bembo’s half-turned head. Bembo glances away in a sort of shame. Jarman gets down, and slinks off the cabin and the bottle. Bembo angrily calls to some of the men moving forward to the forecastle.

 

BEMBO

Bungs, Redburn, Salem – your watch has been called. Stay on deck.

 

Chips strides up to Bembo with swagger.

 

CHIPS

You son of a headhunting trollop – how dare you presume to be a half-step above a negro and give orders to your betters.

 

Chips invades Bembo’s personal space, and sputters in a low menace.

 

CHIPS (CONT’D)

Give me a chance. I’d sell you for a dollar or two in Savanna, or New Orleans – anywhere they’d whip an uppity darky like you into slavery – where you belong.

 

Bembo pauses; the only sign of the building fury inside of him are flaring nostrils. Slowly a raging shout builds from the center of Bembo’s gut and comes full force into Chips’ face. Chips involuntarily takes a step away. Chips draws back his arm and forms a fist. As he lets loose, Bembo grabs the fist and stops it effortlessly in mid-flight. Bembo begins to squeeze the fist until Chips cries out in agony. Redburn rushes up to the standing figures of Bungs and Salem.

 

REDBURN

We’ve got to stop them—

 

Salem puts a hand on Bung’s arm to restrain him.

 

SALEM

Nah – leave off. Chips is a practiced boxer; Bembo’s a raw bruiser – so they’re even!

 

Chips punches Bembo’s face with a left hook several times, but Bembo still grips Chips’ right fist. Deftly, Bembo swings the drunk around and locks his arm around Chips’ neck. He begins to squeeze, and Chips punches wildly, mainly hitting himself in the head. Chips begins to choke; he falls to his knees, and Bembo eloquently kneels with the dying man. Chips begins to struggle less and less, his face turns purple – while Bembo’s face is a radiant hatred. Bungs pushes Salem aside and rushes in. He grabs onto Bembo’s arm and tries to drag it off Chips. Redburn joins in on the other side. Bungs and Redburn manage to pull Bembo backwards, but as Bembo lands on his back, he pulls Chips into the air and on top of him. Chips’ eyes now wander pleadingly around, and slowly want to close. Bungs scrambles to his feet, and rushes to the bulwarks. Bungs grabs a heavy belaying pin and runs to Bembo’s head. After a couple of punishing blows, Bembo releases Chips, who rolls heavily on deck, gasping for air. Salem and Ropy quickly lift Chips into the air and head for the forecastle. Bembo, without attempting to rise, lets out another slowly rising shout, this one in emotional agony. Bembo’s hands go up to cover his face as he rocks his head side to side. In a moment, he realizes Bungs is still over his head with the weapon. He glares at Bungs in a ‘do it’ taunt.

 

BUNGS

What’s worse than being a cannibal? Being a coward.

 

Bungs drops the pin by Bembo’s ear and walks away. Redburn watches as Bembo continues to remain where he is, bleeding into the deck. Bembo covers his eyes with his arm. Ropy rushes up to Redburn.

 

ROPY

Is it over?

 

REDBURN

It ain’t right – he may be quiet – but it’s

not over.

 

Redburn and Ropy distractedly look up to see THE FINN on the quarterdeck. He points to the helm, and shouts to them.

 

THE FINN

The three weeks is up.

 

[Part 5 – III: Bembo’s Murder-Suicide]

INT. FORECASTLE OF THE JULIA – MIDNIGHT

The lit lamp hanging in the center of the forecastle sways gently. The resonance from members of the CREW sound asleep gently rocks the air. Two bunks are filled with sleeping partners; CHIPS and BUNGS; and SALEM with ROPY lying in his arms. The SICK MEN, LONG GHOST, THE FINN and REDBURN are in bunks by themselves. A lingering look on Redburn’s sleeping face starts him wide-awake. His hands fly up to shield him from something unseen. Breathing heavily, Redburn realizes it was a bad dream. He draws in a deep breath, shakes his head, and jumps down. He takes his trousers off a hook and dresses. Picking up his jersey, he heads to the ladder.

 

EXT. MAIN DECK OF THE JULIA

REDBURN stands on deck. The Milky Way arcs majestically above the rigging. In the west, a slender crescent moon begins to set into the horizon of reflecting plate-glass water. Five miles off to the east, the brooding dark silhouette of Tahiti lurks. Redburn inhales deeply. He still cannot shake the burden of his dream. He walks aft, and as he approaches the spot where the fight happened, he is shocked to see the dark form of BEMBO still lying on the deck where he fell. Redburn ties his jersey around his waist and goes up to Bembo. Sensing the Māori knows he is there, Redburn squats down by Bembo’s head. He speaks to him in quiet tones.

 

REDBURN

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

It is over now. Peace be upon your burdened heart. I will help you rise, and wash.

 

Bembo turns empty eyes on Redburn.

 

BEMBO

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

You think you understand? Understand me?

 

REDBURN

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

I know that among my race, the more ignorant, the more degraded a ‘civilized’ man is, the more hateful, and the more fearful he is of the gentler races he is told are his ‘inferiors.’ I understand you are a hundred times a better man that he is.

 

BEMBO

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Leave me – friend.

 

Redburn goes to the starboard bulwarks. With a final glance at Bembo, he unties his jersey, sits on deck and folds his shirt into a pillow. He makes himself somewhat comfortable, sitting with back against the bulwarks, and begins to nod off. His eyes flutter open, Bembo has not moved. Redburn sleeps some. He opens his eyes to see Bembo standing. He is bathing with a bucket of seawater at his feet, and a piggin used to dump water over his naked body. Bembo smooths his long wet hair and glides his hand along the length of his torso. The Milky Way laces behind him, and Redburn drifts to sleep again with a lingering smile. Redburn sleeps a little. Redburn opens his eyes again. He looks for Bembo and finds him standing at the helm. Bembo wears only a white cloth around his waist, and the breeze blows Bembo’s long hair behind him, which he usually wears up. Redburn’s attention drifts up to the sails. Some snap in the wind; most are full. Redburn sleeps a little. In darkness, he hears the sound of sucking eddies; of waves crashing onto rocks; of the sails snapping furiously. Redburn opens his eyes. Bembo is as before, only now, there is a startling look of manic desperation on his face. Redburn rotates and pulls himself up by the bulwarks – there, only some three hundred yards forward is the craggy shore of Tahiti. The Julia is running full on to the reefs. Redburn stands and shouts, running towards the quarterdeck.

 

REDBURN

Breakers dead ahead! Up, men – sound

the alarm!

 

Three members of the CREW on watch stumble up, look, then shout, repeating what Redburn had. The ship’s bell begins to sound furiously: DING, DING, DING, etc.

 

EXT. QUARTERDECK AND HELM OF THE JULIA – ONE A.M.

REDBURN makes the helm, and tries to take the wheel. BEMBO shoves him away, sending him crashing to the deck.

 

BEMBO

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

The only way to clean the bad energy is to destroy this cursed ship and kill all of us!

 

REDBURN

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

No! That’s not the way.

 

Redburn tries to grapple with Bembo again, but this time THE FINN and another member of the CREW help him; they throw Bembo to the deck. Redburn grabs the wheel and lightly turns the ship out of the wind. The rest of the CREW is assembled before the quarterdeck, and the bell is silenced. Once Redburn sees the sails are deflated, he calls out to the crew.

 

REDBURN (CONT’D)

Haul back the head yards! Let go the lee fore-brace!

 

Members of the crew spring into the rigging and do as bid. The whole time the Julia is still heading to the rocks. Once the yard and brace are secured, a telegraph of voices move aft through the rigging: ”READY; ABOUT; ABOUT!” This is followed by an eerie silence as all eyes look to the breakers coming on fast and noisily. They hold their breath.

 

REDBURN

(whispers)

Come on, old girl. Turn us about.

 

SALEM (O.S.)

(shouts from the foremast)

All ready forward! Haul down, now!

 

Redburn spins the wheel hand over fist as fast as it can go. The sails fill with wind again, and the Julia, within a length of the reef, turns about with increasing speed.

 

REDBURN

Fleet old girl! Run us away, girl; save us.

 

THE FINN:

Within a biscuit toss of land. How Jule can spin like a top – God bless her!

 

Bembo, seeing his plans thwarted, raises a slow mournful cry. He grabs The Finn’s jackknife, and the men fall back to the helm to shield Redburn. BUNGS, CHIPS and two members of the CREW rush up the quarterdeck, and Bembo jabs the knife to keep them back.

 

BUNGS

(hatefully)

Forward with him. Give him the sea-toss he deserves.

 

CHIPS

Pitch him overboard for the refuse he is.

 

A groggy and hurt-headed JARMAN pushes through the men. He pauses a moment, sees Bembo, then slowly walks up to him. Bembo flashes the knife at him, but Jarman only raises a fatherly hand and touches Bembo on the back of the neck. Bembo looks ashamed and lets Jarman take the knife from his hand. Jarman glares at the men gathered by the helm, then slaps Bembo’s chest reassuringly.

 

JARMAN

What's this about walking the plank. Shove off, braggards. I'm the Law on this hip. Now, disassemble!

 

Jarman holds Bembo’s wrist, and with hostile glares at the crew, begins to move to the ladder off the quarterdeck. The crew breaks apart to clear a path.

 

EXT. CABIN DOOR OF THE JULIA – ONE A.M.

JARMAN opens the door and guides BEMBO in. Before going in himself, Jarman turns to face the CREW gathered behind him.

 

JARMAN

Take the ship two miles out, and wait for my return to the helm.

 

Jarman goes in and closes the door. The lock engages.

 

INT. CABIN OF THE JULIA – ONE A.M.

JARMAN looks around the dim cabin. He finds BEMBO slouched on the floor, his hands covering his eyes. Jarman hears Bembo choking back sobs. Jarman wipes his forehead with the back of his hand, and then goes and squats in front of Bembo. He reaches out both hands and opens up Bembo’s face.

 

JARMAN

I’ve let you down, lad.

 

JARMAN (CONT’D)

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

They won’t follow, so how can I lead? But never you mind – do you hear me?

 

Jarman forces Bembo to look at him by shaking Bembo’s hands.

 

JARMAN (CONT’D)

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Do you hear? There’s but the two of us now – as they do to you, they do to me, and I’ll be damned if they harm us.

 

Jarman pulls Bembo to a standing position. He puts his hands on the back of Bembo’s neck, and draws him into a gentle headbutt. The two men rest the bridge of their noses against one another. Both men inhale gently, and Jarman’s thumb comes up to wipe a tear from Bembo’s cheek.

 

JARMAN (CONT’D)

We’ll be rid of the lot of them –

you wait and see.

 

[Part 5 – IV: A Soul-Searching Calm]

INT/EXT. LONGBOAT AT SEA – EARLY MORNING

The boat is on a still sea. The sail is flat. In the center of the boat, JARL is struggling to rotate the water cask. REDBURN helps him. The newly exposed side is wet from the bilge water in the bottom of the boat. Jarl strains as he reaches underneath the cask to dip his fingers in the water. He stands upright, smells the water, tastes it and smacks his lips while eying Redburn.

 

JARL

Hmm….

 

Jarl strides up to Redburn and holds out his wet digits.

 

JARL (CONT’D)

(commandingly)

Taste.

 

Jarl bends down again, wets his whole hand this time, and pushes his drippy forearm towards Redburn’s mouth. Redburn grabs Jarl’s wrist, rolls his eyes a moment, then guides Jarl’s fingers into his mouth. He pushes Jarl’s hand away, and smacks his lips.

 

REDBURN

Salty.

 

JARL

But not as salty as the water outside

the boat!

 

REDBURN

Tastes the same to me – look, you’ve rotated the water cask for several days – it’s sound – no leaks, or else we would have seen it come out by now. Jarl…come on.

 

Redburn takes his hand and leads him to the awning. They lie down next to each other in the shade. Jarl’s love theme MUSIC returns.

 

REDBURN (CONT’D)

It’s this calm. It’s playing on your fears.

 

After a quiet moment.

 

JARL

I hope you made the right decision.

 

REDBURN

In leaving the Arcturion?

 

JARL

In choosing me for your partner.

 

Pause; an unsettled moment. The following monologue starts and ends in real time, but drifts into a voiceover in the center. During this, glimpses of Jarl and Redburn’s life on the Arcturion are seen, and concludes with the slices of how they first met (scene shown on page 113 below).

 

REDBURN

I’ve been thinking of something to commit to paper – when I next see a piece of paper. It goes something like this:

 

REDBURN (CONT’D – V.O.)

‘A sailor with long yellow hair loved me from the first he cleaved on to me. A mariner like him will conceive of a very strong attachment to a younger sailor, a shipmate, whom he can protect, and attach to with a devotion wholly inexplicable to an outsider. But – my Viking – your unbidden, yet reciprocated, love was the noblest homage ever paid to me. An honest man never acts better than his vocation, and in the fellowship of sailors at sea, all men appear as they are. There is no school for the study of human nature that shows better than a ship. You wear your character as loosely as your flowing trousers, and the contact with one man to another is too near, is too constant, to favor any form of conceit.

 

REDBURN (CONT’D)

So, if ever I was a rotten chummie to you, Jarl – my Skyeman – I apologize. I repaid your love for me as best as you wanted, and gladly too – for my Viking to me was my king. And my king to me was the only fit companion for his vassal.’

 

After an unresolved moment, Redburn studies his companion’s profile. Finally, Jarl extends his arm, and Redburn rests his head on Jarl’s chest.

  

JARL

Did you see our new escorts? Pilot fish – one in front, one behind, and two at the sides. I believe they abandoned their terrible bone shark for our cheery barque. It’s a good omen, Redburn – something good. You asked me – really, demanded to know – what I think about all the time I am sullen and withdrawn. Maybe you never considered it from my point; considered the chief burden on my mind is you, you bastard. Your safety; your happiness; keeping you from all the worst results of your split-second decisions.

 

Redburn moves his head back to rest on Jarl’s arm. Slowly, Redburn raises his hand and turns Jarls face to his. Jarl draws Redburn into a sustained kiss – tenderly at first, then pained and passionate. Jarl lets Redburn go, and Redburn puts his head on Jarl’s chest again. Jarl strokes Redburn’s hair. Jarl’s love theme MUSIC comes to its heartbreaking crescendo.

 

JARL (CONT’D)

I’m not superstitious, but I worry less now – those pilot fish will guide us safely in. I’m not sentimental, but I worry less now – I know you can’t fully return the way I feel.

 

[Part 6 – We’ve Won – I: Be Rid of the Lot of You]

EXT. CABIN DOOR OF THE JULIA – EARLY MORNING

JARMAN comes out and closes the door quietly behind him. He locks it carefully, and then pockets the key. He goes up to the quarterdeck.

 

EXT. QUARTERDECK OF THE JULIA – EARLY MORNING

JARMAN stands at the rail overlooking the main deck. Most of the night CREW are sleeping on deck. Beyond them rise the brooding mountain peaks of Tahiti, two miles before them. It’s going to be a fine day.

 

JARMAN

(roars)

Look lively, lads! Tumble up and pull the jib halyards!

 

The crew yawn, stretch, scratch, and slowly assemble with puzzled faces before Jarman.

 

JARMAN (CONT’D)

Well? You said no duty 'less it were to take 'Lil Jule' into port, and that's what we are about. Pull, damn ye! Pull!

 

The crew look at each other with wide eyes, then a sustained cheer rises through them: “We’ve won!”; “To Papeetee!”; “To freedom!”

 

EXT. MAIN DECK OF THE JULIA – MID-MORNING

The morning is brighter, and the Julia moves with snapping sails into the mouth of a tropical harbor. A promontory rises to the starboard, ‘Point Venus,’ and coral reefs line the other side of the channel. SALEM calls to JARMAN, who is rapidly moving to the bow.

 

SALEM

Ain’t we waiting for the harbor pilot?

 

JARMAN

Damn his tardiness – take her in, boys! Each of ye man the braces, and look ye to stay wide awake – this is tricky business we are about.

 

EXT. BOW OF THE JULIA

The prow of the Julia cuts the harbor water into sparkles. JARMAN braces himself on the lines, and leans forward as much as he dare.

 

JARMAN

(to the ship)

Steady, sweetheart – we’ll soon be rid of

this rabble.

 

The ship rounds a jutting cliff, and Pape’ete comes into full view. Mountains rise several thousand feet behind the bay, with scattered houses meandering up the foothills. At the waterfront, smart white buildings with verandas are set back several hundred feet from the curving beach. The morning light catches in several of these windows. Tall flagpoles stand before each: one with the Union Jack; one with the Tricolore; one with the Stars and Stripes; etc. These are the trading houses / consulates. The margin sloping down to the waterline is full of grass and flowers. Palm trees line a boulevard between the buildings and the lawn. In the harbor lie several vessels, the largest of which is the black-hulled French warship, La Reine Blanche.

 

EXT. BULWARKS OF THE JULIA

REDBURN, LONG GHOST and SALEM pause, looking over the ships in the harbor. As they near La Reine Blanche, a rowing longboat is seen with several men in it. This boat begins to chase the Julia.

 

REDBURN

I can’t believe it – it’s the same ship that was at harbor in Nukahiva when I was there. And now, she’s in Tahiti.

 

Suddenly the La Reine Blanche fires a cannon, and the men instantly duck below the bulwarks. After a moment of silence, they poke their heads up again.

 

LONG GHOST

(laughs)

They’re not firing at us – they’re firing for the glory of their emperor.

 

Redburn and Salem look confused at each other.

 

LONG GHOST (CONT’D)

The cook came back last night with word. Prichard the British Consul was put under house arrest. Some punter named Wilson fills in as acting consul while Queen Pomare finally capitulates to French demands – thanks to the canons pointed at her palace – and voilà, today the sun rises not on a free Tahiti, but on the newest hinterland backwater of the French Empire.

 

SALEM

The French dogs – they celebrate; the

people mourn.

 

JARMAN calls from the bow.

 

JARMAN

Drop anchor!

 

The men shout for joy.

 

EXT. HULL OF THE JULIA

The anchor slips out of its holdings with a rusty and noisy chain following it. It splashes emphatically into Tahitian waters. The chasing longboat pulls alongside. In the boat are two men; one with spectacles – DOCTOR JOHNSON – and the other with an inappropriately clean and fancy suit – WILSON. Four French MARINES row the boat, and their rifles are at their side. A rope ladder is dropped from the deck, and two marines help the men scale the ladder.

 

EXT. MAIN DECK OF THE JULIA

ROPY and BUNGS help DOCTOR JOHNSON on board. Then they help WILSON, as the rest of the CREW gather around. JARMAN stands akimbo to greet them. Wilson surveys the Julia’s men and makes a sour face as he drifts towards Jarman.

 

WILSON

You are, Jarman?

 

JARMAN

Aye. And, you are…?

 

WILSON

(conceitedly)

Wilson.

 

Wilson turns so all the crew can hear.

 

WILSON (CONT’D)

Acting British Consul.

 

Jarman nods in understanding and looks from Wilson to the bespectacled man, but Wilson simply walks to the quarterdeck. Doctor Johnson comes up to Jarman with extended hand.

 

DOCTOR JOHNSON

Doctor Johnson.

 

JARMAN

Welcome on board.

 

Jarman begins to lead Doctor Johnson to the quarterdeck. He turns to Bungs.

 

JARMAN (CONT’D)

Help the sick men assemble with the rest of the crew.

 

EXT. QUARTERDECK OF THE JULIA – NOON

JARMAN, WILSON and DOCTOR WILSON look out on the ragtag assembly gathered below on the main deck. Two of the SICK Men are laid flat; the other two are propped up against REDBURN and LONG GHOST.

 

WILSON

(to Jarman)

Are these all of the men?

 

JARMAN

All we’ve got, sir. ‘Cept Bembo; but anyway, he’s not one of them.

 

WILSON

(under his breath to Doctor Johnson)

Picturesque in their very tatters….

 

Wilson leans pompously against the rail. He berates the crew.

 

WILSON (CONT’D)

Men. Captain Guy relays to me some troubling facts concerning your attitudes. I’m going to ask you two or three questions. Let one of you answer yes or no. Now – Have you anything to say against your mate, Mr. Jarman?

 

Wilson scans the crowd, all of whom seem to be flashing eyes on Chips.

 

BUNGS

Well, sir – we can’t say anything ‘gainst Jarman’s seamanship – but—

 

WILSON

(cuts him off)

No ‘Buts!’ Yes or no. Do you have any complaints against Mr. Jarman!

 

Silence. Salem grows hot, and Ropy puts a calming hand on his forearm.

 

WILSON (CONT’D)

Do you lack food, or water?

 

Silence.

 

CHIPS

Some of the horsemeat ain’t

exactly sweet.

 

WILSON

(shouts)

Not what I asked – Do you have enough?!

 

Salem passes a quick and determined glare at Ropy and steps out of his grip. He goes for his jackknife, and pushes Bungs and Chips aside. He strides front and center, and with full-arm, extends his blade at Wilson.

 

SALEM

I’m the fellow can answer your questions – ‘counselor.’

 

Wilson pauses, then leans over the rail to intimidate Salem. It works, because Salem self-consciously lowers his knife.

 

WILSON

Did you refuse duty?

 

SALEM

Aye. We all did. To bring this ship into port. Now, that is accomplished, discharge us!

 

WILSON

What part of the Ship’s Articles – Articles you signed – allow you to do that?

 

SALEM

What do I know about articles – I know the ship’s at anchor, and we are free.

 

The crew shouts agreement. Wilson rights himself, and menacingly waits for silence.

 

WILSON

Form two columns. Men who refuse work – there. Men still on duty – there.

 

The crew look at each other and slowly separate. THE FINN, and a couple of others go to the ‘duty’ side, and the rest, except Ropy, move to the other. Ropy, still in the middle, turns sad eyes on Salem, and edges to the ‘duty’ side.

 

SALEM

Ropy! What are you doing?

 

Salem comes out to him; blocks him.

 

ROPY

(shrugs)

I ain’t no quitter.

 

Ropy edges past Salem and joins The Finn. Salem, standing alone in the center of the deck, looks up helplessly at Wilson, then over his shoulder to Redburn. Redburn nods at him with encouragement. Salem hangs his head, and slowly trudges to the side of a radiantly beaming Ropy.

 

WILSON

Which of you are sick?

 

Several raise their hands, including Redburn, who is surprised to see Long Ghost do the same.

 

WILSON (CONT’D)

Doctor Johnson will examine you.

 

JARMAN

(loudly)

You don’t want to know who the ringleaders are?

 

WILSON

Yes. Who…?

 

JARMAN

‘Twere Long Ghost there, and Redburn, next to him.

 

Wilson glares at them.

 

WILSON

Well, you men who refuse duty – there’s no liberty for you. You will go the Calabooza Beretanee, or the English Jail.

 

Redburn glances over his shoulder to the lush island.

 

REDBURN

(quietly to Long Ghost)

Well, The Finn’s premonition proves true – three quarters of us will never see the Julia again.

 

[Part 6 – II: Long Night on the Ghost Ship]

INT/EXT. LONGBOAT AT SEA – EVENING

One of REDBURN’s hands is gripping the side of the boat. He is in the water. His second hand appears, and Redburn hoists himself out of the water and into the boat. He stands in the stern, naked, and shakes his head. Smoothing his hair back, he turns to JARL, who is smoking and looking west across the water in the bow of the boat with one foot propped up.

 

REDBURN

Well, Skyeman – it’s turn for your evening bath. The water is cool; the sharks are absent.

 

Jarl does not answer. Redburn goes up to Jarl’s shoulder and looks too. On the horizon, silhouetted by the orange disc of the sun are two masts and white sails. The ship is only about five miles from them. Jarl glances at Redburn’s privates, and takes the pipe from his mouth.

 

JARL

Are your ducks ripped again? Do I have to get my needle.

 

REDBURN

(distracted)

No…

Redburn walks aft, fetches his drawers and slips them on.

 

REDBURN (CONT’D)

…A ship – I think we should down sail and

row away –

 

JARL

(smiles)

The hell we will. Let’s sail up to her and

be rescued.

 

REDBURN

(open-mouthed)

Jarl, we don’t need rescue. Our course is set.

 

JARL

For death at sea; starvation; thirst – wake up, boy! This is opportunity.

 

Jarl pushes past him to the mast. He fidgets to make sure the sail is catching an optimal wind.

 

JARL (CONT’D)

We have to row to catch her.

 

REDBURN

Jarl…wait—

 

JARL

Wait? Wait for what – get your trousers on and take up an oar.

 

EXT. BRIGANTINE THE PARKI

From the waterline the ship looks abandoned. Some sails are set; others are tattered; all are patched in some way. She is being pushed sideways in the water, slowly yawing from port to starboard, and back again. REDBURN and JARL stand in the longboat about a half-mile from the Parki.

 

REDBURN

She’s a ghost ship – see the way she yaws? Only her foresail, mainsail and jib are set, and that only halfway up the stay.

 

JARL

You think no one’s aboard?

 

REDBURN

Abandoned, for sure.

 

JARL

I’m having second thoughts…disease, or lascars…in either case…we must leave here.

 

REDBURN

(mockingly)

The hell we will. Abandoned is best – we can commandeer her; use her stores of water and biscuit.

 

Redburn thinks he should sweeten the possibilities.

 

REDBURN (CONT’D)

There might be casks of brandy aboard….

 

EXT. MAIN DECK OF THE PARKI

The deck is littered with heaps of abalone shells, empty coconuts, and broken open casks and crates. REDBURN and JARL stand near where a rope ladder led them. An orange streak of twilight cloud arcs over their shoulders. Redburn is brandishing his jackknife, and Jarl grips the short harpoon from the longboat. Redburn makes a ‘hush finger’ to Jarl, and leads the way. First they step over refuse, then head for the quarterdeck.

 

EXT. HELM OF THE PARKI

REDBURN and JARL pause by the helm. The wheel is very loosely tied with a length of coconut fiber rope. The wheel slowly rotates one way, then the other.

 

REDBURN

(whispers)

The helm is lashed. She was not abandoned in a hurry.

 

While he is talking, Jarl, the consummate seaman, undoes the binding and knots up the slack. He makes sure the ship is straight, and resets the helm.

 

JARL

(whispers)

If disease, then the poison is lurking in her very timbers.

 

REDBURN

(points to the main deck)

Not disease. Look, all the boats are away – the crew left her for some reason.

 

INT. CABIN OF THE PARKI

The cabin door is closed. The cabin is in murky darkness. The door slowly opens, and light flickers in from the other side. JARL’s harpoon, with a lit and stubby candle on the blade, pokes into the room. The door opens fully. REDBURN stands next to Jarl with two more lit candles. They enter cautiously.

 

JARL

I’ll find the lamp.

 

Jarl steps carefully over debris. He detaches his candle and lights the hanging cabin lamp, and the men see the cabin in a terrible state. Redburn sets one candle on the table. He finds a pile of paperwork strewn on the floor. He squats down and rummages. He picks up one leaf of torn paper and reads it.

 

REDBURN

‘The Royal Sovereign Hawaiian ship, the Parki of Lahina, Maui.’

 

Jarl spots a bright yellow silk scarf and lifts it into the air.

 

JARL

Fancy dress – for a captain—

 

Jarl is interrupted by a loud THUMP.

 

The men’s eyes look up to the deck above them, where the sound originated, then at each other in desperate silence.

 

JARL

(harsh whisper)

Ghost Ship!

 

Just then something in the mess catches Redburn’s eye. He reaches down and pulls up a sword with a broken blade. Redburn holds it close to his candle. It is caked in rusted blood. He holds the blade flat in front of Jarl’s candle so he can see the blood too.

 

EXT. MAIN DECK OF THE PARKI – FADING TWILIGHT

REDBURN and JARL make their way forward along deck. They open a hatch and descend into the forecastle. From the rigging above the hatch, the candles of the men flicker as they descend. A shadow in the rigging moves, and momentarily blocks the light.

 

INT. FORECASTLE OF THE PARKI

REDBURN and JARL stand at the bottom of the ladder. Everything is in disarray. Jarl bumps Redburn’s arm and gestures to a section on the floor along the hull. They walk over and inspect an area where four chests have been arranged to make a rectangular bedding area. This ‘nest’ is lined with hammocks and mattresses from the bunks, on top of which is spread native mats and pillows. Jarl wanders off as Redburn opens one of the chests. Instead of sailor clothes, it is full of metal. Redburn holds up a brass candlestick holder and a pot to show Jarl. THUMP CLINK. Again they hear the odd noise and stop to listen. Jarl looks up through the open hatch. Nothing is there, and he shrugs for Redburn before poking around again. Redburn opens another chest. This time he pulls out a small cowhide covered casket. He kneels and sets the casket down in front of his candle. He opens it. The lid inside is pasted with a woodblock print of a man having sex with a woman. The chest is filled with silver dollars.

 

REDBURN

Jarl….

 

Jarl stops and stands under the hatch as Redburn turns a wicked smile on him, his fingers pinching several coins in the candlelight for Jarl to see. Instantly, Redburn stops smiling as he perceives a SIZZLING noise and dark shadow-movement above Jarl’s head.

 

REDBURN (CONT’D)

(shouts)

Watch out!

 

Jarl instantly leaps back as a massive wooden block sails through the hatch and crashes on the floor at his feet.

 

JARL

(whispers emotionally)

All doubts dispelled – to dead certainty, there are spirits on board.

 

EXT. MAIN DECK OF THE PARKI – NIGHT

REDBURN and JARL sit around a fire they’ve built in a cauldron set on a trivet. They have pulled up two intact crates, and have tin cups, which they freely dip into a small open water cask. Redburn reaches into a tin box and pulls out a biscuit. He passes the box to Jarl.

 

REDBURN

Relax, my Viking, an experienced tar like you should be accustomed to the strange creaking and wheezing – from the masts and yards – of a ship at sea.

 

JARL

(looks up)

I’ve never heard noises of these kind before.

 

Jarl glares demandingly at Redburn.

 

JARL (CONT’D)

And the block?

 

REDBURN

(uncomfortable reasoning)

A rope rotted; a block fell. What of it?

 

Jarl pats his pockets and pulls out his ganja pouch and pipe. He fills the pipe, lights it, and inhales deeply. A new calm seeps into Jarl’s relaxing posture and face. Redburn watches a moment; then stares at the fire.

 

REDBURN (CONT’D)

I don’t like it. Too much is your dependence on that stuff.

 

JARL

You should try it.

 

As he speaks, Redburn grows unaccountably emotional.

 

REDBURN

(looks at Jarl)

You don’t understand – I don’t like men who have their wits hooked onto substances they’ve taken.

 

Jarl puts his still smoking pipe down.

 

JARL

All right, lad, no need to get…to get—

 

Jarl suddenly grows angry.

 

JARL (CONT’D)

You never explain anything.

 

REDBURN

Let’s just keep awake until morning. Then we can decide what to do.

 

[Part 6 – III: A New Crew Assembles]

EXT. MAIN DECK OF THE PARKI – FIRST LIGHT

REDBURN is curled up on a crate, fast asleep. His face is blissfully dreaming, but, as he hears the distant but insistent murmur of a voice, one that sounds vaguely familiar to him, his face twitches. JARL’s hand draws up to Redburn’s cheek. He slaps Redburn, and his voice is loud in his partner’s ear.

 

JARL

Redburn. Up, lad.

 

Redburn sits up, heavy with sleep, and Jarl genuflects in front of him.

 

JARL (CONT’D)

Don’t react, but look over my shoulder. There. There, into the rigging of the mainmast.

 

Redburn knits his brows, inhales sharply, and slowly scans as told. He lights on a shadow. Gradually, the shadow moves; it shifts weight from one foot to another; its hands gripping the mast. Redburn gives Jarl a small nod. Both stand. Jarl casually picks up his harpoon, while Redburn pulls out his jackknife. With pursed lips, they give each other a nod, and turn to face the mast.

 

REDBURN

(shouts)

Ahoy, there! Come down. We see you.

 

There is silence. All movement has stopped. Redburn employs the standard 'mean you no harm' Polynesian greeting.

 

REDBURN (CONT’D)

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Don’t I know you...? Come down, friend.

 

From the base of the mainmast, Redburn and Jarl stand some twenty-five feet away. SAMOA’s unshod feet land in tandem on the deck, and crouching from the weight of the jump, his hand touches the deck for balance. From Redburn and Jarl’s perspective, they see a tall, 28-year-old native rise into standing grandeur. His calico kilt rises half-thigh, his neck and chest are heavy with multiple strands of chunky polychrome beads. His head is wrapped in a turban made from a long crimson silk scarf. Samoa appears stunned in disbelief.

 

SAMOA

So – you are not ghosts?

 

Redburn and Jarl look at each other.

 

JARL

No, friend – we thought you a ghost.

 

Samoa strides up to them – warmness creeps into his open demeanor.

 

REDBURN

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Your name, friend?

 

SAMOA

Samoa.

 

Redburn scuttles his knife in its holster, then pats his own chest.

 

REDBURN

Tommo.

 

As Jarl wonders who Tommo might be, Redburn pats Jarl’s chest and lowers the man’s harpoon for him.

 

REDBURN (CONT’D)

Jarl.

 

JARL

(suspicious)

Who else is on board?

 

Samoa makes a broad gesture to the foremast.

 

SAMOA

Look there – An’natu!

 

Jarl and Redburn see a young woman has descended the foremast.

 

JARL

A woman...?

 

REDBURN

(to Samoa)

No more?

 

SAMOA

No one.

 

An’natu jogs up to Samoa, who holds open his arm for her. The spry young woman, about 18 years old, wraps her hands around Samoa’s waist and glares at Redburn and Jarl.

 

JARL

What happened here?

 

REDBURN

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Let’s sit. Tell us.

 

All sit uneasily around the smoldering cauldron. Samoa begins relaying his tale in realtime, which segues into a central voiceover section. During this, we see shots of the action as described.

 

SAMOA

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

We are abalone and pearl divers – I’m head diver.

 

SAMOA (CONT’D – V.O.)

(in ENGLISH)

Our Captain was rowed ashore by Spaniards at one island. Then several boats came out of nowhere and attacked us. Most of the crew took the boats away while some of us started to sail the Parki away. The lascars boarded us, and killed many. An’natu hid in the hold while I drove the ship straight out to sea, then I fought and killed until the bad men thought they could not row back to land anymore and fled. An’natu and I were alone. We sailed on, avoiding all land, lest we should be attacked again.

 

SAMOA (CONT’D)

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

That was about two months ago.

 

AN’NATU

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

I told him to sail west, back to my homeland – Mardi.

 

Redburn is puzzled.

 

REDBURN

Mardi? – The World...?

 

AN’NATU

(firm)

Yes. My homeland is the world to me. I was taken away at age thirteen. Ships with men from Australia sold me here and there, but Samoa took me with him from Maui.

 

REDBURN

We are going west too….

 

SAMOA

What happened to you?

 

Jarl opens his mouth, but Redburn clears his throat and digs his fingers momentarily into Jarl’s knee.

 

REDBURN

We…put to sea at night; sent overboard to look for a sailor in the water, then we lost our ship.

 

Samoa and An’natu search the plausibility of the tale in each other’s face.

 

REDBURN (CONT’D)

But since we are both traveling west. Let’s join our crews.

 

REDBURN (CONT’D)

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

What say you?

 

Samoa and An’natu exchange a queasy glance. Redburn rises and takes charge. He claps once, and rubs hands together.

 

REDBURN (CONT’D)

First, let’s clean up, trim the sails and make the Parki shipshape!

 

[Part 6 – IV: The Good Life on the Parki]

INT. CABIN OF THE PARKI

REDBURN and JARL are straightening up. Redburn is clearing the captain’s bunk by folding various pieces of clothing and cloth that is strewn over it. Once he gets to a point where the bed is visible, and appears in fine condition, he beams to Jarl.

 

REDBURN

This will suit us quite nicely.

 

Jarl is stacking small chests and righting chairs near the door.

 

JARL

So – Tommo, why didn’t you let me pick my own assumed name?

 

REDBURN

Because, Jarl, you are too honest to deceive on the fly. Tell me, what name would you have told them, on the spot?

 

JARL

(considering it)

…Karl….

 

REDBURN

(chuckles)

Too honest, my Viking, to fib well; if to fib

at all.

 

Jarl pauses and leans halfway out the door. The coast is clean, and he makes an odd grin. Jarl moistens his lips and slowly moves up behind Redburn, who is facing away from him. Jarl places his hands on Redburn’s waist and draws him back into a lingering kiss on the nape of Redburn’s neck. Redburn closes his eyes and reaches around to the back of Jarl’s head. Jarl bends his knees and begins to pivot his midsection gently into Redburn’s backside. Redburn rotates within Jarl’s embrace, and they start to kiss. Jarl reaches up and lays an open palm on the top of Redburn’s head. He begins to push down, making clear his wants. Redburn slowly pushes against Jarl’s chest.

 

REDBURN (CONT’D)

Not here…not now….

 

JARL

(sad)

You mean – not ever.

 

Redburn pauses, then half bends over the bed to grab a yellow silk scarf. Redburn smiles and puts it over Jarl’s neck. He begins to tie it in a sailorly knot under the ”V” of Jarl’s jersey.

 

REDBURN

Here. This goes well with your yellow mop.

 

Tied, Redburn admires it, pats Jarl’s chest, and feels sad. Redburn locks eyes, and reaches for Jarl’s crotch. He unbuttons Jarl’s trousers, and as he begins to pleasure Jarl, his other hand draws Jarl back into his kisses. In a moment, Jarl begins to breathe hard, and Redburn responds by kissing him more passionately. Redburn barely lets Jarl draw air through his mouth. Redburn’s arm and hand work faster, and as Jarl orgasms, Redburn lets Jarl breathe, but greedily takes in his partner’s breaths. As Jarl bends a weary head onto Redburn’s chest, a shadow moves over his shoulder. There at the door, half-hidden, SAMOA steps back, silently and unseen by the other two.

 

EXT. THE PARKI SET FULL SAIL – NOON

Guitar MUSIC sets a bright scene. [2] In the full tropical sunlight, the half-nautical, half-native look of the ship is plain. Some timbers still retain their rainforest bark, and the sails are made of tapa, not canvas. The longboat has been hoisted up and secured between two of the Parki’s davits. The ship cuts sparkling blue water. Below her, in front, in back and at her sides, silver pilot fish dart and bob contentedly with her progress.

 

EXT. HELM OF THE PARKI

JARL mans the wheel, and REDBURN stands as makeshift captain at the rail. The men’s wardrobes have undergone some embellishments. In addition to Jarl’s scarf, he now wears several strings of chunky beads, and Redburn is dolled up with a broad purple scarf, with heavy beaded fringe, tied around his waist. They glance down on SAMOA and AN’NATU. The ‘crew’ on the main deck is tossing refuse overboard.

 

JARL

I have my suspicions about our pearl diver, Samoa. Like your Māori harpooner, he could act out an ugly part.

 

Samoa moves to the area below the quarterdeck and crouches down, eavesdropping. Redburn moves in front of Jarl, and shrugs.

 

JARL (CONT’D)

If their story is a lie, imagine the far worse crime done to have such a bloodthirsty alibi to conceal it.

 

REDBURN

(prosaic)

I saw no sign of deceit in either of them – we looked the storytellers; they, guilt free.

 

Redburn folds arms and leans against the rail. Samoa looks up at the sound of the creak. Jarl grows more earnest in the face of Redburn’s glibness.

 

JARL

If their tale is true, then the ship is haunted. If worse happened, then our fates are cursed. In either case, we have better quit this ship, posthaste.

 

Redburn is annoyed. He stands upright.

 

REDBURN

Don’t turn a mystical Finn on me. Keep your wits about you, but remember, liberty is at the heart of deception. Perhaps ultimately Samoa and An’natu are just as much the wayward drifters as are you and I.

 

Samoa steps away, back to work. Redburn paces up behind Jarl.

 

REDBURN (CONT’D)

The question, my fine Skyeman, is whether they believe our fabrication…. For now, I believe both sides are comfortably convoluted.

 

JARL

A lie, for a lie – eh?

 

REDBURN

It’s the cozy comfort of mutual suspension of belief.

(in Jarl’s ear, low)

Would you have it any other way?

 

Redburn returns to the rail and leans on it with wide spread hands.

 

JARL

So tell me, South Seas rover – jailbird – what was life like on Tahiti?

 

[Part 6 – V: Captain Bob’s Good Life on Tahiti]

EXT. BROOM ROAD, TAHITI – DAY

Tahiti is a mix of local and European people, all of whom meet on the ‘Broom Road,’ or the outer road encircling the island. The sights the CREW of the Julia see while being escorted by CAPTAIN BOB their Tahitian jailer – are as described in the following voiceover. Later, LONG GHOST and REDBURN annoy WILSON in church, and Redburn is taken by the sight of a young man named KULU. In church, Kulu wears a ‘Hawaiian shirt’ of white calico with thin blue stripes. This eighteen-year-old has a roving eye for sailors of means; but pretends he does not notice Redburn.

 

REDBURN (V.O.)

As we walked a weary mile to our island home, the English Jail, I was struck by the picturesque quality – the wide and shaded road – called the Broom Road – was flanked on one side by the shimmering sea, and between it and the vast peaks beyond, tropical woodlands marched right up to the road’s margin; sunlight slanting through the endless ranks of trees and fringed every leaf in flame. Our amiable host, who let us know his name as Capin Bob, was portly and fatherly to us. So pleased were we with our ‘jailer’ that we cheerfully acquiesced to his authority. He settled us in a lovely spot – a building with roof, but no walls, the only piece of furniture being an ankle stockade, twenty-foot-long. After the first night, we never slept in confinement again. The property was his, and his fields and orchards he discharged for our pleasure. In exchange for the bucket of broken biscuits Ropy brought us every morning, Bob gave us roast yams, roast breadfruit, and as many oranges as we could want. Soon the sick among us gained health, and my ankle pained me no more. After a week or so, we were at liberty to explore, knowing we were expected for roll call by sunset. Long Ghost and I started visiting the Consul’s church, making sure we sat directly opposite him. Great was his consternation. But, I have to say my attention was drawn to a particular young blade. This youth ogled whom he pleased with an air of self-satisfaction. But, as he stood in the congregation – with hair redolent of coconut oil, in his striped calico shirt with the tail ends loose over a pair of white sea-trousers, which was a gift from one of his sailor benefactors – his glances were warmly received by those who were so blessed.

 

INT/EXT. CALABOOZA BERETANEE – AFTERNOON

The floor of the jail is now ringed with sea chests brought from the Julia. CHIPS and BUNGS are relaxing outstretched on their chests. REDBURN and LONG GHOST sit and play chess. Other members of the CREW are poking around nearby. On the Broom Road, DOCTOR JOHNSON comes strolling along, medical bag in hand. He steps into the jail unnoticed.

 

DOCTOR JOHNSON

Good day, men.

 

Redburn looks up.

 

DOCTOR JOHNSON (CONT’D)

Would you be so good as to gather your compatriots? I’m here to tend to any medical needs.

 

Bungs goes to the edge of the jail and whistles sharply.

 

DOCTOR JOHNSON (CONT’D)

(to Redburn)

Well, we’ll start with you.

 

Doctor Johnson grabs Redburn’s ankle, knocking him back on his hands. The doctor pokes and prods; always looking for signs of pain. There are none. Crewmembers drift into the jail and gather around in a circle.

 

DOCTOR JOHNSON (CONT’D)

Swelling down; I’d say, gone. Do you feel sporting, lad?

 

REDBURN

Aye, sir.

 

Doctor Johnson rises and goes to a random man.

 

DOCTOR JOHNSON

And you…how do you feel?

 

LONG GHOST

(confidentially to Redburn)

Still on the consul’s billing cycle – he’s getting his last round of charges in before the end of the month.

 

By the time Doctor Johnson gets to him, Chips has a shallow cough.

 

CHIPS

By the stars, Doc, it’s hard to sleep every night…

 

Chips coughs.

 

CHIPS (CONT’D)

…Out in the open. I think I’ve got the whooping cough.

 

DOCTOR JOHNSON

Well, open your mouth…. Yes; yes. I’ll send along some medicine for that.

 

Bungs pushes up to the doctor with enthusiasm. He grabs his knuckles as if they pained him.

 

BUNGS

And I’ve been hit with the rheumatism, doc.

 

DOCTOR JOHNSON

Oh, yes?

 

The doctor takes Bungs’ hand. Bungs winces. Johnson extracts a notepad from an inside pocket of his jacket.

 

DOCTOR JOHNSON (CONT’D)

Yes. Let me start noting these. You name?

 

BUNGS

Bungs

 

DOCTOR JOHNSON

Spell that for me….

 

All the men are eager to be seen by the doctor with their made-up ails.

 

INT/EXT. CALABOOZA BERETANEE

DOCTOR JOHNSON has seen all the men, and makes to go. LONG GHOST springs up from his chest and takes the doctor by the elbow. He leads him out of the jail, and, at a spot halfway to the road, stops and confers with him. REDBURN rises with curiosity, and goes to lean on a post at the jail’s perimeter so he can observe them. Long Ghost talks with serious abandon and begins to point at Redburn. The doctor turns horrified eyes on Redburn a moment, then back to Long Ghost who shakes his head dourly. The doctor fumbles for his notepad, and Redburn can just make out their concluding words.

 

DOCTOR JOHNSON

Don’t worry. I’ll make sure the poor lad gets a steady supply—

 

LONG GHOST

My name – make sure it’s in my name – for propriety’s sake, you know.

 

The doctor nods. The two men shake hands, and Doctor Johnson strolls down the road.

 

EXT/INT. CALABOOZA BERETANEE

It is a bright and sunny morning on the Broom Road. In the jail, CHIPS, BUNGS, REDBURN, LONG GHOST and members of the CREW lounge in a post-breakfast stupor. KULU comes strolling down the road. He wears different sailor clothes: a striped French sailor jersey over blue trousers. In his arms he cradles a coconut leaf basket filled with brown glass medicine bottles and folded pieces of paper containing powers. He turns off the road to come to the jail.

 

CHIPS

Lookie here…. Who’s this?

 

As Kulu strides into the jail, the men all sit upright.

 

KULU

Medicine, from Doctor Johnson.

 

All the men, except Redburn, spring up, and Kulu is soon delivered of his carrier. While the men begin to paw over possession of the basket, Long Ghost steps up, and, using his superior height, plucks up a vial. He palms it, apparently self-satisfied. Redburn nods at Kulu, who glances away in an odd moment of shyness.

 

BUNGS

Avast, ye!

 

Bungs pulls the basket to himself.

 

BUNGS (CONT’D)

Share and share alike. Fetch that coconut shell.

 

Bungs straddles a chest, setting the basket between his legs. A man brings him the coconut bowl, and Bungs carefully positions it before the basket in a way that it will not spill. All the men, except Kulu, form a circle to watch. Bungs uncorks a bottle, sniffs it approvingly, and dumps it into the bowl. He begins to empty each bottle and vial into the bowl.

 

BUNGS (CONT’D)

(with derision)

Powders? Who needs ‘em?

 

Bungs throws the papers out of the jail. Finally, he stirs the cocktail with a finger and takes a drink.

 

BUNGS (CONT’D)

Ah! – like mother’s milk.

 

Bungs passes it to Chips, who drinks and passes it on to Redburn. Redburn sips, and pulls the coconut away making a sour face. He passes it on, and turns. He expects to find Kulu still there, but the teen is gone. Redburn walks over to Long Ghost. He is dead still, outstretched on his chest, his hands folded on his tummy.

 

REDBURN

(chuckles)

Did you see that?

 

Redburn stops laughing. He peers at Long Ghost and pokes him. Long Ghost does not respond. Redburn bends his ear to Long Ghost’s nose. He hears breathing, then spots a vial in the man’s hand. He pulls it out.

 

INSERT – MEDICINE LABEL:

 

Laudanum

POISON

 

FADE FROM INSERT – MEDICINE LABEL.

 

Redburn slips it into Long Ghost’s pocket, making a grin of pity over the stoned man’s face. Redburn’s attention is drawn out of the Jail. Kulu is standing nervously under the shade of a tree behind the jail. He gives Redburn an earnest gesture to follow him. Redburn half grins and looks over his shoulder at the crew; they are still passing the coconut cup around.

 

EXT. TREE LINE AND CLEARING BEHIND THE JAIL

REDBURN cautiously inspects the spot Kulu had been. He finds a slight path through the growth, and takes it. In a few yards, it opens into a clearing. KULU sits in the grass with legs outstretched. The moment he sees Redburn, he beams, and sits cross-legged. He pats the spot of grass right in front of him for Redburn to sit. Redburn does, and their knees touch.

 

KULU

I’m Kulu – I saw you in church.

 

REDBURN

(all smiles)

Did you...? I wasn’t sure I was one of the lucky. Call me, Tommo.

 

Kulu leans back on his hands and slowly rolls the sounds around seductively in his mouth.

 

KULU

Tommo.

 

REDBURN

(suddenly serious)

Have you seen an American sailor named Toby on Tahiti? He’s about my age; dark curly hair; a little shorter than me; quick-tempered – and – and very handsome. You would know him.

 

KULU

(sits up)

I….

 

REDBURN

Probably the French brought him here, from Nukahiva – Do you know?

 

KULU

There are many sailors – Toby?

 

REDBURN

Yes. Toby – maybe he’s at the Calabooza Franee?

 

KULU

I don’t know, but…

 

Kulu picks up one of Redburn’s fingers. He toys with it.

 

KULU (CONT’D)

…I can take you there.

 

EXT. BROOM ROAD – NOON

KULU leads REDBURN down the road. They smile and nod at various PEOPLE passing, and the greeting: Yar onor boyoi” is exchanged. When unseen by others, Kulu is jocular, pokes and prods, and hangs off of Redburn’s shoulders to bring his companion into light-heartedness. Redburn is anxiously aglow with anticipation.

 

EXT. CALBOOZA FRANEE

REDBURN and KULU stand before a similar structure as the English jail. This building is empty, and by the scattering of leaves on the floor, it has not been used for quite some time. Redburn stares at a dead end.

 

EXT. BROOM ROAD

REDBURN and KULU walk back to the English jail. Redburn seems despondent and immune to Kulu’s warm antics. Kulu gently takes Redburn’s hand and draws him off the road and into the clearing from which they started. In the open, Redburn spots the gold metal on Kulu’s chest. He gently taps it.

 

KULU

From a young Russian sailor. He liked me. He told me it is Saint Michael, the angel. He is the protector of all wandering souls; like you; like me.

 

Kulu takes Redburn’s other hand. He lifts them to eyelevel, and intently interlaces their fingers together. Kuku extends his arms, drawing Redburn closer to him.

 

KULU (CONT’D)

Why do you look for what’s absent, when the here and now looks for you.

 

Kulu tenderly, tentatively kisses Redburn, but as Redburn relaxes and places his hand on the back of Kulu’s head, Kulu kisses him passionately. After a moment – Redburn’s hand still in place – Kulu’s head sinks down. Redburn arches his back as Kuku begins to pleasure him. Redburn’s eyes close; his hands go to the back of his own head upturned to the sky.

 

 

_

Copyright © 2017 AC Benus; All Rights Reserved.
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..