Jump to content
    AC Benus
  • Author
  • 5,412 Words
  • 394 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

OMOO - A Lost Soul in the South Seas - A Film Script - 4. Parts 7 and 8

.

[Part 7 – Secrets – I: Complex Feelings Evolve on the Parki]

EXT. THE HELM OF THE PARKI – AFTERNOON

Puffy clouds roll over a swift-moving Parki. The day is fine and tropical. JARL stands at the helm. REDBURN paces the quarterdeck with hands behind his back, like an over-attentive captain. Redburn’s costume has grown richer in gewgaws. Redburn glances at the main deck. SAMOA is coiling rope, and AN’NATU is bravely knocking off barnacles from the hull with the largest harpoon from the longboat. She has to lean precariously over the bulwarks to do this, but with each success, she rises with the glow of triumph.

 

JARL

Samoa’s dame is of stout heart. Funny how at turns she is tidy or unkempt – by fits and starts.

 

Redburn leans pompously on the rail.

 

REDBURN

The barnacles bother An’natu. She knows they impede the ship. She told me she can feel the incrustations through the sluggishness of the wheel.

 

JARL

It keeps her from her trinkets. She spends hours at a time telling and retelling every single bead; every brass screw – accusing her man of pilfering from her pilfers.

 

Redburn ignores Jarl. He shouts forward.

 

REDBURN

Avast, ye crew! Assemble.

 

Redburn sees An’natu look to Samoa, who nods to her. She puts her harpoon down and goes up to her mate. Together they move aft to stand below the quarterdeck.

 

EXT. MAIN DECK OF THE PARKI

SAMOA and AN’NATU await instructions. They look up to REDBURN leaning on the rail, and have a good sight of JARL behind him.

 

REDBURN

(points)

Samoa, tumble up there and secure the main-topsail – she is flapping too loose. An’natu, take up Samoa’s line and coil it nicely.

 

Samoa and An’natu exchange a slow glance, then An’natu goes over to Samoa’s rope pile, Samoa trails behind her. As An’natu bends over to pick up an end of rope, a clattering is heard. Something falls out of her clothes, and rolls to Samoa’s feet. He picks it up; glances nervously at the quarterdeck over his shoulder, then stomps up aggressively to An’natu. He roughly takes her arm and pulls her up. They speak in POLYNESIAN, with English subtitles.

 

SAMOA

What is this?

 

An’natu feels her clothes.

 

AN’NATU

Give it back!

 

An’natu grabs for it and Samoa, still holding one of her arms, pulls it out of her reach.

 

SAMOA

This is the compass from their boat! Will you never stop stealing from others?

 

An’natu jerks her arm free.

 

AN’NATU

You don’t tell me what to do.

 

SAMOA

I’ve tried to tell you many times – somethings are too important for you to take as personal property. We need this to sail!

 

AN’NATU

(glares)

I’m not your property.

 

Samoa huffs with pursed lips. He slides the compass on top of his head under his turban. He gives An’natu one more menacing look, then goes into the rigging to do his task. An’natu’s eyes follow him up, and she stands akimbo.

 

REDBURN

(yells)

An’natu! About your business!

 

Angered, An’natu stomps up to before the quarterdeck. Glaring at Redburn, she is nonetheless distracted by Jarl making a funny face.

 

REDBURN (CONT’D)

I’ve told you – About your work.

 

Jarl mocks Redburn grandiosely with jolting head swags and fish lips. An’natu’s anger goes.

 

REDBURN (CONT’D)

Now, about your task.

 

Jarl salutes and smacks himself in the forehead. An’natu bursts with laughter.

 

EXT. HELM OF THE PARKI

REDBURN slowly turns, and JARL looks the picture of sailorly innocence.

 

JARL

(salutes again)

I await your instructions, Captain Bligh.

 

Redburn winces at the insult.

 

EXT. MAIN DECK OF THE PARKI

AN’NATU drifts back to the ropes in good humor. She starts to work, and SAMOA lands on the deck close to her. They speak in POLYNESIAN, with English subtitles.

 

SAMOA

(quietly)

You have to act better while they are on board – I’ve told you, all the things you collected in the forecastle belong to the Parki’s owners in Lahaina.

 

An’natu makes pouty lips. Samoa relents a little.

 

SAMOA (CONT’D)

You can play with them, but not with the things the ship needs to sail.

 

An’natu saunters up to him.

 

AN’NATU

Forgive me?

 

An’natu places her hand on Samoa’s kilt – front and center. He starts slightly, and glances over his shoulder. An’natu begins to massage.

 

SAMOA

Forgiven. Let’s make up.

 

Samoa grabs her hand and leads her to the forecastle. An’natu glances at Redburn standing at the quarterdeck rail, and smiles broadly at him.

 

EXT. HELM OF THE PARKI

REDBURN whips around on JARL with a startling notion.

 

REDBURN

Tell me true, Jarl – that in all the wide watery world there is no port, no harbor shelter, no palace or hovel that supports an An’natu for you.

 

JARL

What do you take me for? No, I have never meditated suicide – that is to say – wedlock to a woman. Marriage of male to female is a kind of irreconcilable twaining of each.

 

Jarl grows unaccountably serious.

 

JARL (CONT’D)

Avoid it, young one, despite all the pressures – know in your heart it is not fit to deceive the heart of a woman. Not fit for the likes of a one like you; not fit for the likes of a one like me. We to ones like each other are…meant.

 

Redburn pats Jarl’s shoulder, and looks out at the sea.

 

REDBURN

As Mark Anthony flew to the refuge-embrace of Caesar, Cleopatra led a plot to divide their true marriage of minds, of hearts, of bodies, with a double cunning deception. No, Jarl. You and I are not fit for deception; not of that kind.

 

Jarl places his hand on top of Redburn’s shoulder. He appears happily sad.

 

[Part 7 – II: The Pride of a Good Seaman]

INT. CABIN OF THE PARKI - MIDNIGHT

The lit lamp hanging in the center of the cabin sways gently. REDBURN sleeps by himself. As there is a lingering, paused view of his face, he’s suddenly wide awake. His hands fly up to shield him from something unseen. Breathing heavily, Redburn realizes it was a bad dream. He draws in a deep breath, shakes his head, and sits up. He takes up his trousers from the bed and dresses. Picking up his jersey, he heads to the door.

 

EXT. MAIN DECK OF THE PARKI

REDBURN stretches and scans the starry night. He strolls forward, checking this and that. Nearing the bow of the ship, he spots a wide-awake AN’NATU standing on the bowsprit. She greets him with wordless fellowship.

 

REDBURN

Where is Samoa?

 

AN’NATU

He sleeps like a baby – he always sleeps like a baby.

 

EXT. QUARTERDECK OF THE PARKI

REDBURN makes his way to the helm. AN’NATU follows. The two exchange uneasy glances as they find JARL sound asleep at the wheel. Redburn makes a ‘hush finger’ to An’natu, and sneaks up behind Jarl.

 

REDBURN

(softly)

Oh, Skyeman. Oh, my Viking – what watch

is it?

 

Jarl mumbles something in his sleep. Redburn shouts.

 

REDBURN (CONT’D)

Avast! Ye lubber!

 

Jarl jumps up, and An’natu and Redburn laugh.

 

REDBURN (CONT’D)

Go below, Jarl. I’ll stand watch.

 

Jarl goes sleepily to the cabin. Redburn takes the wheel, and An’natu stands at his side. Soon Redburn is nodding asleep.

 

AN’NATU

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Go back to sleep – I’ll turn the wheel.

 

She beams in confidence at Redburn, who cannot suppress a yawn.

 

REDBURN

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

You stand well enough during the day, but at night…

 

Redburn turns overly dramatic.

 

REDBURN (CONT’D)

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

…Many dangers – reefs, big waves; many dangers.

 

Redburn goes back to nodding at the wheel. An’natu becomes more insistent.

AN’NATU

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

I am a good sailor.

 

REDBURN

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Take it.

 

An’natu jumps to.

 

REDBURN (CONT’D)

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

But – I’m going to keep awake all night with you – to make sure you stay vigil.

 

Redburn moves off and finds a place to sit with crossed legs, where he can see the helm. He yawns, stretches and folds his arms. Soon he is nodding off, but each time he starts awake, An’natu is confidently at the wheel.

 

EXT. QUARTERDECK OF THE PARKI – FIRST LIGHT

SAMOA and JARL come on the quarterdeck scratching and yawning. They pause, seeing REDBURN sound asleep and AN’NATU proudly at the helm. She calls out to Samoa and Jarl in singsong jollity; in a mix of POLYNESIAN and English, with English subtitles.

 

AN’NATU

Ahoy! – I’m capin of this ship. About

your duty!

 

Redburn rouses at the sound of Samoa and Jarl’s laughter.

 

[Part 7 – III: A Confidence and Cask of Cognac]

EXT. MAIN DECK OF THE PARKI – MID-MORNING

The sky over the ship is blue and clear. Her sails are moderately full, and the breeze is steady. Near the bow, REDBURN is hammering down a loose floorboard. A shadow hovering above him blocks out the sun. He squints up into the dark outline of SAMOA, the sun forming a halo behind his head.

 

SAMOA

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Come with me. I must show you something.

 

Redburn stands. Samoa nods with blithe determination and heads to the open main hold hatch. Samoa descends into it, and Redburn pauses, undoing the guard on his jackknife.

 

INT. HOLD OF THE PARKI

REDBURN stands alone. The only light comes from the hatch above him. He peers around in the dimness.

 

REDBURN

(whispers)

Samoa?

 

Redburn sees SAMOA wave an arm at him. He goes to an area where Samoa is sitting on the floor cross-legged. Samoa gestures for Redburn to take a seat in front of him. Redburn refuses to sit.

 

REDBURN (CONT’D)

What is this about?

 

Samoa smiles broadly and reaches around behind him. He draws out a small wooden cask and two gill-sized tin cups.

 

SAMOA

Something special.

 

Redburn sits in curiosity; their knees momentarily touch.

 

REDBURN

Let me see.

 

Redburn takes the keg and hoists it a little to the light. On it is stenciled: OTARD, Château de Cognac – Charente, France.” Redburn wiggles out the bung cork and sniffs the contents of the keg. He makes a perfume face to Samoa, who holds out the cups. Redburn fills them, re-stopping the keg and setting it between them. The men clink gills, with a grin and nod. They drink, with Redburn making a guttural sound of pleasure.

 

REDBURN

Ah! – so smooth.

 

SAMOA

The Captain used to take me down here to share his secret. He said only I could drink in moderation with him.

 

SAMOA (CONT’D)

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

But, I share my secret with you.

 

Redburn refills the cups.

 

REDBURN

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Tell me your story. How long have you shipped?

 

Samoa begins with some reticence.

 

SAMOA

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

They call me Samoa, but I am from the island of Upolu; nearby, but not Samoa. When I was sixteen, I told my partner I wanted to ship, and he got me clothes and paid himself with a keg of nails and other things from my first sea captain. The day we parted – it is still clear to me ten years later – we stood on the deck of that ship, holding hands while he cried. I knew I stood before all the men of my first voyage, but I cried too. Then we touched noses, breathing in perhaps our last scent of each other – beginnings and endings – and he left me to my fate.

 

Samoa’s mood lightens some.

 

SAMOA (CONT’D)

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

In Maui I learned pearl diving – I love it! Clear blue water, the fish that never lack curiosity to see what odd sort of creature I am. And in Maui, I found An’natu.

 

Samoa smiles uncomfortably, and shakes his head.

 

SAMOA (CONT’D)

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

If you think she’s difficult now—

 

Samoa’s eyes are dead earnest on Redburn.

 

SAMOA (CONT’D)

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

She was raped over and over – kidnapped at twelve. She was passed from captain to captain as a sort of cabin boy – like a worn coin from hand to hand.

 

Samoa taps the side of his head with anguished pleading.

 

SAMOA (CONT’D)

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

It changed her. She doesn’t know right from wrong – you understand?

 

Redburn nods slowly.

 

SAMOA (CONT’D)

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

But – I love her. She is better now; she is free now; and she loves me back. That you understand, I know you do…

 

Redburn is uneasy.

 

SAMOA (CONT’D)

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

…And your secret is safe with me.

 

REDBURN

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Friend, I understand. The one you love, is the one you love; broken or perfect.

 

Redburn wants to solidify the tentative connection they have made. He lightens up.

 

REDBURN (CONT’D)

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

All right, no more Samoa – I’ll tell Jarl too – from now on you are Upolu. Do you agree?

 

Samoa nods with downcast eyes.

 

REDBURN (CONT’D)

And – your secret is safe with me. Don’t tell Jarl about this cask. His kind – the Viking kind – hate liquor so much that whenever they see it, they dispose of it immediately –

usually down the hatch.

 

Redburn raises his cup.

 

REDBURN (CONT’D)

So…just for you; just for me!

 

[Part 8 – From Strength to Shadow – I: The Smooth Life of an Omoo]

INT. CALABOOZA BERETANEE – NOON

ANU, Kulu’s sixteen-year-old sister, lounges with LONG GHOST on his sea chest. She sits on the edge and leans her head against his torso. REDBURN sits cross-legged at one end of his chest with KULU curled up on the rest of it and resting his head in the sailor’s lap. Redburn smooths the youth’s hair.

 

REDBURN

Anu, how long have you known Kulu?

 

ANU

(giggles)

We’re not friends; he’s my brother!

 

Redburn lightly raps Kulu’s forehead.

 

REDBURN

Why didn’t you say?!

 

Kulu laughs and lifts his limbs in a moment of needless defense. Kulu settles again, touching Redburn’s hand a moment. Redburn smiles down on him.

 

LONG GHOST

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Anu, have you seen your queen before?

 

ANU

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Queen Pomare? No. She’s never seen

in public.

 

KULU

She’s a recluse – a couple of years ago, a French spy tried to assassinate her. Since then she lives in her palace on Mo’orea, and sees no one.

 

LONG GHOST

(to Redburn)

The Tahitian Windsor….

 

Kulu pops to a sitting position and puts an arm around Redburn’s shoulder.

 

KULU

(to Long Ghost)

Have you heard of King Pomare?

 

LONG GHOST

Of course – the queen’s father and first Christian monarch of Tahiti.

 

Kulu rises majestically to tell of past greatness.

 

KULU

Our king said to your missionary, Tyreman: ‘You have come to see me at a very bad time. Your ancestors came in a time of men, when Tahiti was populous and strong, but now – you come to behold just the remnant of my people.’

 

ANU

(to Redburn)

From two hundred thousand people when Cook came…to nine thousand now – disease; starvation – missionaries’ sin.

 

Kulu quarrels with his sister.

 

KULU

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Pomare was a Christian. A true Christian.

 

Kulu continues hotly to Long Ghost and Redburn.

 

KULU (CONT’D)

Pomare built a great church – an open-air sanctuary, even to nature, as a stream ran through it. But, it rots now, abandoned. The missionaries prefer cramped wooden barns, the better to herd people in for ‘donations.’

 

Long Ghost tickles Anu.

 

LONG GHOST

Are you a Christian?

 

Kulu playfully lurches and grabs Anu’s hand, making her rise. He turns her to face Long Ghost, and positions himself behind her. As he speaks, he gestures with both of his hands as if they were Anu’s. Redburn and Long Ghost both sit on the edge of their chests.

 

KULU

A Christian here…

 

He folds his hands in prayer.

 

KULU (CONT’D)

…A Christian here…

 

He moves his hands to touch her lips – then he slowly brings both hands to cover her crotch.

 

KULU (CONT’D)

…But not a Christian there!

 

The men laugh, and Anu breaks free. She turns on her brother.

 

ANU

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

What about you? Aren’t you just the same?

 

Kuku locks smiling eyes on Anu and moves to sit on the floor between Redburn’s legs. He flops his arms over Redburn’s thighs, and sings out.

 

KULU

Men can’t be sluts, sister. Only…popular.

 

Long Ghost pulls Anu to sit with him again.

 

ANU

(under her breath to Long Ghost)

Slut boy.

 

Long Ghost leans over to Redburn.

 

LONG GHOST

I recall Pope saying something of the kind about a lady:

”A sad good Christian at heart –

But a very heathen in the carnal part.”

 

REDBURN

Sounds like you.

 

Long Ghost tickles Anu.

 

LONG GHOST

And so it does.

 

Redburn is suddenly inspired. He asks Kuku.

 

REDBURN

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Does Anu know anything about Toby?

 

KULU

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Tommo is looking for his lost friend.

 

Kulu stands and gestures.

 

KULU (CONT’D)

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

About this tall – dark wavy hair – Toby. Do you know? American.

 

Kulu sits again between Redburn’s legs.

 

ANU

(thinks – gestures)

No. American…. That tall? Dark hair! There are two Americans who have a farm on Mo’orea one short and dark.

 

KULU

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Yeah – two guys – together – maybe

your partner.

 

Redburn turns on the charm for Long Ghost.

 

REDBURN

Fancy a trip across the straits to the neighboring island?

 

Long Ghost touches Anu’s breast.

 

LONG GHOST

Plan a nighttime escape from such a lovely prison? Honestly – no. I’m more than content to stay where I am.

 

Redburn looks crestfallen.

 

LONG GHOST (CONT’D)

Do you know what you are? A bona fide rover – a wanderer – what they call in Polynesian an Omoo. But – I’ll go with, if only for the sake of adventure.

 

All settle down – Anu plays with Long Ghost fingers. Redburn strokes Kulu’s forehead and hair.

 

KULU

There is a sad song the old people sing. It is said King Pomare wrote it himself, about the change of Tahiti from strong to shadow.

 

Kulu sings once in English, then Anu joins in and they sing in Tahitian.

 

KULU

(SINGS)

”Still the palm-tree grows,

Still the coral spreads her way,

While Tahiti, your people, fall away.”

 

KULU and ANU

(SING)

"A narree ta fow,

A toro ta farraro,

A now ta tararta.” [3]

 

[Part 8 – II: Parting from Kulu: Staying with Zeke and Shorty]

 

BEGIN ‘MO’OREA TRAVEL’ MONTAGE:

INT. CANOE – LATE NIGHT

Redburn, Long Ghost and Kulu row across the placid straits separating Tahiti from Mo’orea. The moon is full; there are no clouds.

EXT. BEACH ON MO’OREA – SUNRISE

Long Ghost shoulders a bag and heads up the beach to the start of a trail. Redburn grabs a bag, but drops it again. He waits with open arms, and Kulu hugs him hard. Redburn gently kisses the nape of Kulu’s neck, then forces a separation. Redburn lightly taps on Kulu’s gold metal, smiles, then picks up his bag and jogs after Long Ghost. One look back: Kulu stands by the canoe with an oar in his hand.

EXT. MOUNTAIN TRAIL – MORNING

Redburn and Long Ghost are sweating and climbing a steep trail, made narrow with thick overgrowth. They pause at an opening in the growth, and look back over their shoulders. As they catch their breath, they scan down the trail they have ascended; on to the shoreline; then the azure plate of water that forms the straights; and miles off, the towering emerald mountains of Tahiti. They press on.

EXT. VISTA – NOON

Cresting the trail, they come upon an open vista. Below them is a vale of orchards hugged against the foothills, while the level plain of the valley is under cultivation: sugar cane, taro, and yams. Redburn elbows Long Ghost and points down to a small white western-style cabin and outbuildings. They nod and head down into the homestead.

EXT. VALLEY FLOOR – 2 P.M.

Redburn and Long Ghost hail Zeke and Shorty in a field near the house. Introductions are passed around, and Redburn gestures ‘this high’ to which Zeke and Shorty shrug and then gesture to their home. Redburn and Long Ghost shrug, and Zeke hands them a pair of hoes. The four go to work.

EXT. STREAM IN THE CENTER OF THE VALLEY – 5 P.M.

The four men bathe in the stream; laughing – waterplay.

INT. ZEKE AND SHORTY’S HOUSE – 8 P.M.

Zeke makes a bed for Redburn and Long Ghost in a corner of the main room. Then Zeke climbs into a large hammock suspended in another corner. After a ‘good night’ exchange, Shorty climbs into the hammock and settles into Zeke’s arms. Soon Zeke and Shorty are peacefully asleep while Redburn and Long Ghost exchange an uncomfortable glance at the bed, then at each other.

END ‘MO’OREA TRAVEL’ MONTAGE.

 

[Part 8 – III: Canoe in the Woods]

EXT. CLEARING IN A FOREST ON MO’OREA – AFTERNOON

New Englander ZEKE comes crashing through an opening in the foliage. REDBURN follows him in, and pauses in wonder. Zeke jogs up to a large canoe set on logs in the center of the clearing. It is upright, and slightly encroached by vines. Zeke waves Redburn over, and together they remove creepers from the prow of the boat. It is fantastically carved. Zeke gestures for Redburn to come close, and Redburn squats by his side to admire it.

 

REDBURN

So, this is what you do on a Sunday?

 

Zeke laughs and stands with hands on hips.

 

ZEKE

Well, we don’t exactly go to church, if that is what you are asking.

 

Redburn stands too.

 

REDBURN

I mean, Shorty at home, cooking – although Long Ghost will be no help to him there – and you, off exploring?

 

ZEKE

Something like that.

 

Zeke climbs into the stern of the canoe.

 

REDBURN (CONT’D)

How did it get here?

 

ZEKE

A mystery.

 

Zeke settles down, stretches out his legs, and gestures for Redburn to join him. Zeke puts his hands behind his head. Redburn climbs in and sits with elbows on knees facing Zeke.

 

ZEKE (CONT’D)

Tell me again, what exactly brought you to our doorstep?

 

REDBURN

Well, Zeke. We were told you and Shorty were Yankee-born, and I am looking for a lost companion – Toby, a sailor about Shorty’s size. Heard tale of him?

 

ZEKE

He hasn’t passed this way.

 

Zeke studies Redburn’s misery.

 

ZEKE (CONT’D)

Your…partner?

 

REDBURN

(shy smile)

Aye. My partner.

 

ZEKE

(brightens)

Well, you and the Australian are welcomed to stay – long as you pitch in….

 

REDBURN

Sailors are used to hard work, but plowing the sea, not the earth. But you’d know, as you are both retired sailors.

 

Zeke shrugs. Redburn is completely honest.

 

REDBURN (CONT’D)

You and Shorty are about the happiest men I’ve ever met – certainly among those on land.

 

Zeke sits like Redburn.

 

ZEKE

I don’t know about you, but when I was young, I was told tales of places where a man could build a happily-ever-after. For me and Shorty – turned out to be here. When we first started working this land, our old Polynesian landlord said he had a pair of granddaughters for us to marry – we tried laughing him off, we kept putting him off, and finally, he got the picture. After it dawned on him that whites could be like Polynesians, he started calling us his ‘sons,’ and soon everybody knew, and nobody cared beyond thinking of us always in the same breath; together.

 

REDBURN

(to himself)

Eden – does such a place exist…?

 

Redburn extracts a photograph case from his jersey pocket. He feels the scallop design a moment. Then opens it and hands it to Zeke.

 

REDBURN (CONT’D)

Toby. Someday, somewhere, I will build a life with him. One like you have here.

 

Zeke takes it. He looks it over, and nods as he hands it back.

 

ZEKE

Handsome, yes. And you two look very happy together. I know you will find him. I know because I can tell, he is looking for you too, and two men joining forces are unstoppable – even in this world of ours.

 

Redburn kisses the case and pockets it carefully.

 

ZEKE (CONT’D)

So – you say Long Ghost is…well, not as we are?

 

REDBURN

No. Maybe a passing sailorly interest in a lad, but no, he’s addicted to the feminine guiles for sure.

 

Zeke leans back again; hands behind his head. Redburn also reclines and watches the tree leaves through the breezy sunlight.

 

ZEKE

Well – as I say – you are welcomed to stay, as long as you like.

 

[Part 8 – IV: Of Hospitality and Numbered Days]

INT. ZEKE AND SHORTY’S HOUSE

SHORTY, a Southerner, wears a simple smock while he cooks, and busily moves from prep-table to range, tasting, chopping, et al. He whistles happily. LONG GHOST sits on a low stool, eying Shorty. He has a bin before him and is peeling yams, appearing bored to tears. Long Ghost stands and stretches. He waits there until Shorty looks his way. Then Long Ghost glances out the door in a display of secrecy. He extracts a vial and approaches Shorty.

 

LONG GHOST

Look here. What old Zekie-boy don’t know, won’t hurt him.

 

Long Ghost takes a draught. As he wipes his lips with the back of his hand, then he extends the vial.

 

LONG GHOST (CONT’D)

Have some. It mellows….

 

Shorty glances over Long Ghost’s shoulder, out the door.

 

SHORTY

I best not. Zeke don’t like none of that. See, he has a problem with drink, and stays away from it for my sake.

 

LONG GHOST

It won’t kill you – But, if you’re not your own man, you—

 

SHORTY

A sip, then.

 

Shorty reaches for the vial, but Long Ghost pulls it back. He comes right up to Shorty and holds the vial to Shorty’s lips. He pours in more than a sip, and Shorty reaches up to push Long Ghost’s hand away. Long Ghost stands back and sees an immediate narrowing of Shorty’s eyes. Long Ghost grins.

 

LONG GHOST

See. Feeling better, right?

 

SHORTY

(smiles)

Much better.

 

Shorty turns and goes back to his range. Long Ghost licks his lips and sidles up to Shorty’s turned figure. Long Ghost places his hands on Shorty’s hips and grinds on his host. Shorty turns violently and shoves Long Ghost away.

 

SHORTY (CONT’D)

What the hell!

 

LONG GHOST

Come on now, don’t be stingy with that arse – Zeke’s not the only man been in that—

 

Shorty runs up to Long Ghost and slams him on the chest full force with open palms. Long Ghost falls flat. Shorty picks up a knife, and looms over Long Ghost. In his rage, Shorty’s spittle showers Long Ghost.

 

SHORTY

Touch me again like that – Punk – and your prick is going into the river.

 

Long Ghost pulls himself back from Shorty, then rises slowly to his feet.

 

SHORTY (CONT’D)

Got it?!

 

LONG GHOST

Look, friend, there was a misunderstanding. A simple misunderstanding. That’s all….

 

Long Ghost goes back to peeling yams.

 

INT. ZEKE AND SHORTY’S HOUSE – EVENING

LONG GHOST and REDBURN, and ZEKE and SHORTY are sitting at the table. All but Shorty are raucously eating. Zeke makes questioning eyes at Shorty, who only glowers with suppressed hate at Long Ghost. Zeke sheds innocent glances on Long Ghost.

 

LONG GHOST

(taunts)

Shorty! Again, a feast worthy of Pomare’s majesty!

 

REDBURN

(good-natured)

Hear; hear!

 

LONG GHOST

Too bad you don’t have any booze to ply us, your guests, with these vittles.

 

SHORTY

(hot under the collar)

If you don’t like—

 

Zeke gently cut his partner off.

 

ZEKE

It’s my fault. See, I can’t handle drink, so I don’t let any near me, for Shorty’s sake.

 

Zeke reaches out a hand to touch Shorty’s wrist. Shorty involuntarily flinches.

 

INT. ZEKE AND SHORTY’S HOUSE – NIGHT

After supper, LONG GHOST and REDBURN, and ZEKE and SHORTY are lounging around with lit pipes.

 

ZEKE

(to Shorty)

Redburn here is looking for a Yankee sailor. A man about your size; hair color. Know him, a Toby by name.

 

Shorty shakes his head slowly, then he becomes inspired.

 

SHORTY

Well, no, but all sailors on Mo’orea are in the port town, Taloo. May be best if that’s where you head.

 

ZEKE

(surprised)

Well. If they want to. It’s where the whalers dock.

 

SHORTY

(in earnest to Zeke)

It’s probably best.

 

LONG GHOST

That’s where the Queen’s court is….

 

REDBURN

Maybe you can get an appointment as a Royal Hanger-on.

 

LONG GHOST

(considers)

Perhaps – ‘Doctor Royal to her Savage Majesty….’

 

ZEKE

(supports his partner)

Right – it’s a day’s walk along the beach – set off in the morning.

 

Zeke turns reassuring eyes on Shorty, and is relieved to see Shorty’s tension relax a bit. He motions for Shorty to sit next to him. Shorty demurs.

 

REDBURN

Well, your hospitality is much appreciated—

 

LONG GHOST

Yes Zeke – too bad you don’t have any liquor to ply us with…

 

Long Ghost glares at Shorty.

 

LONG GHOST (CONT’D)

…To loosen us up.

 

ZEKE

(matter-of-fact)

We don’t drink.

 

LONG GHOST

(under his breath)

More’s the pity.

 

Redburn bangs Long Ghost arm with his elbow.

 

LONG GHOST (CONT’D)

(loud)

Yes. More’s the Pity. A drunken man’s life is hard enough in this world without the abstemious-few damping down his fun.

 

There is an uneasy silence. Shorty gets up and sits close to Zeke. Zeke lifts his arm and pulls Shorty into leaning on him. They smoke in silence.

 

REDBURN

I’ll never forget your hospitality.

 

Long Ghost begins humming the songCarrickfergus,” quietly at first. After the first line, he sings in soft and regretful tones that rise to a miserable crescendo. [4]

 

LONG GHOST

(SINGS)

”…I would swim over the deepest ocean, the deepest

ocean for my love to find.

But the sea is wide, and I can’t swim over and neither

have I wings to fly.

If I could find me a handsome boatman to ferry me over,

over to my love and die.

 

But I’ll spend my days in endless roaming, soft is the

grass, my bed is free.

Ah, to be back now in Carrickfergus on that long road

down to the salty sea.

 

And in Kilkenny there it is reported, there are marble

stones there as black as ink.

With gold and silver I would support him, but I’ll sing no

more now till I get a drink.

 

For I’m drunk today and seldom sober, a handsome rover

from town to town

Ah, but I’m sick now, my days are numbered, so come all

ye young men, and lay me down.”

 

_

Copyright © 2017 AC Benus; All Rights Reserved.
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

And so Redburn’s quest continues. I love the scenes aboard the Parki. It’s hard to see how Long Ghost avoids a hard finish to his life.  

  • Love 1
Link to comment
4 minutes ago, Parker Owens said:

And so Redburn’s quest continues. I love the scenes aboard the Parki. It’s hard to see how Long Ghost avoids a hard finish to his life.  

Thank you, Parker. Yes, probably Long Ghost sees his lonely end too.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..