Jump to content
    AC Benus
  • Author
  • 4,070 Words
  • 861 Views
  • 9 Comments
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Walks with Leporello, Thoughts on LOVE, GOD and DOG - 7. VII. Masetto and the Tennis Ball

VII. Masetto and the Tennis Ball

May 17, 2011

 

We are told that God created man in his own image. We are then told how man quickly revealed shortcomings. God’s disappointment, for those who hold the faith, is an ongoing limitation on our potential – our ability to connect with the flawless within ourselves. Of all of God’s manifest creations, man is his least honest, with himself, with the face he shows to others, and with his inherent potential to godliness. Of all of man’s many petty creations, working with what scraps we found around us, Dog is our greatest. For in him we stamped out not our own image in flawed coinage, but we created an honest portrayal of divine selflessness, and crowned him with the polar reward of man’s infidelity. Dog is man’s best creation, because we made him in God’s image. There is a Zen conundrum, of the “if a tree falls in the woods . . . ” ilk. The puzzle I am thinking of goes like this: Lord Buddha said a dog is free from the wheel of Dharma (the cycle of birth and rebirth), but a later master instructed that a dog can never be taught to be enlightened. How can that be? Now, the reason these conundrums exist is not to generate answers, not to even generate thoughts towards an answer, but to release thought from its own wheel of pointless roundabout misery. The goal of these puzzles is to free a seeking mind from its restless disease of philosophy – there is no answer. But my mind, afflicted as it is with thought, thinks the dog puzzle is an easy one. Dogs are born enlightened. They suffer none of the limiting ambition and scheming avarice that seems to be man’s self-appointed birthmark. To instruct them on godliness would be to presume to instruct God on the ecstasies of Dogliness.

 

Chip Brown, in his 1990 article on Airedales, mentions visiting with a family of these dogs. They offered their tennis balls to him as he sat – in the same fashion as Max had done to me – a test, they would not let go. Masetto, now eight months old, does this same Airedale thing. He grips the ball, holds it to my hand and then eyes me while he tenaciously grips it against my pulling. An eternal push; spring to spring to spring.

Tennis balls remind me of the many cutting room floor items that will not be elaborated on today. Like, how Leppy barked at a police horse and earned himself (that is, earned me) a ticket; how he would pull me into the open door of every hair salon or barber shop expecting to find a stadium full of people there (each hair on the floor speaking of an individual’s presence); how a mean old Scottie, unprovoked, bit him on the top of his nose and produced a scar there until his dying days; how he survived, one of the first dogs anywhere to do so, his bout with deadly melanoma via a new cancer vaccine; how he relished the flavor of carrots and of a particular soft-leaf weed that grows round about here; or how he would barge into the neighbor’s upstairs place to chase her wonderful cat Toro. Leppy, a bungling Keystone Kop of a lout, was never any match for fleet-sensed Toro.

But balls – tennis balls with their bounce – were his favorite toys. Social instruments as well as fun, he derived much from them. We could give a thousand, straight-from-the-package examples, but the gutter balls he found on the street: these he’d hold onto all the way back home, sometimes the tongue lolling from the side of his mouth, the heat no match for the joy the foundling ball provided. A veritable conundrum-sized problem arose when he chanced to find two gutter balls on the same outing. One would be dropped, the other picked up; dropped, again; picked up, etc., etc. Finally, he’d look to me, and I’d have to carry one of these grotty balls for its proud new owner. At the peak of youthful vigor we would take him to the double tennis courts at Corona Heights, and with the battered badminton racket Sunny picked out of the trash one day, hit ball after ball to him. He’d run into position, catch the ball in his mouth, drop it, and catch the next hit to him. After we exhausted our bagful of balls, we’d move to the other side of the court; I’d collect the balls, and Sunny would hit them back to Leppy waiting on the other side of the net. He could go on for an hour under the cloudless blue sky without even a pause, so we’d have to roll the balls into the far corners of the court and make him chase them one by one. Twenty minutes of this, and he’d finally plop down for a rest. A brief three minute respite, with sloppy tongue to the breeze, and he’d be up again ready to repeat the whole exercise. He loved the courts even when we were not on them, because I’d take him through the gates and to the trash cans. Pulling off the lid, Leppy would jump with front paws on the rim, and watch me extract discarded balls. Usually there’d be enough to fill a bag and one left over for his mouth to grip all the way home. How happy was he!

In the park he’d exhibit his social skills with tennis balls. He was never possessive, never broke his calm self-possession just because some dog ‘stole’ his ball. If he chased one we threw for him, and his trudge was interrupted on the way back by the chance meeting of another dog, the ball would be forgotten. Dropped in the grass, another dog to play with was always preferred. If that same dog, usually wary-eyed, bent down to pick up Leppy’s ball, he would positively present the body language of “Take it. It’s yours!”

 

 ˚  ˚  ˚  ˚  ˚ 


Masetto doesn’t have the same energy level. He plays a few minutes with a ball and seems to be fully satisfied. When Masetto’s age, Leporello would wake up in the middle of the night and play quietly for an hour or so in the dark. He’d toss the ball for himself, then scamper down our long hallway after it. He’d do this repeatedly, never bothering us, until he felt relaxed again. He never was a settled sleeper either. He preferred to get up and change position at least once an hour. Masetto in complete contrast, plonks down and snoozes the night away in one cozy spot.

Dogs look to us for the same guidance as we look to God. How ironic that while we look to a superior force of purity and love, they are forced to love an inferior example than themselves. It started on Labor Day 2010, the day that Leppy’s mortality was wedged into my immediate perspective. We visited friends in Bodega Bay. They insisted we bring Leppy and Figgy, but had they mentioned anything about their cats, we would not have brought them. Walking into their home, Leppy bumped into a feline who was napping. A quick swipe of the claw opened a tiny cut on Leppy’s right lower eyelid. A virus had been introduced to his system, but my only thought at the time was “we dodged a bullet with that one,” because his eye had not been scratched. A clean up of the trickle of blood, a dab of hydrogen peroxide and all seemed well. A check of the wound in the next couple of days shows a complete external healing, so the event was all but forgotten. So forgotten, that in the second week of October, when Doctor Fong told me Leporello was near death, and he asked me seemingly nonsense questions about where Leppy had been, I could not come up with the cat scratch. He asked me, could Leppy have encountered a raccoon? Was he digging and ingesting garden dirt? A virus, he said, one present in the natural environment could be causing Leppy’s renal failure. No, I said, no raccoons, no dirt – it was more than a month later that I recalled the scratch from an outdoor cat’s claw and the day of transmission.

 

˚  ˚  ˚  ˚  ˚       

 

At the beginning of October, he went in for a regular checkup and everything seemed fine. Airedales have a notorious tolerance for pain, and when young, the only true way to know they feel under the weather is to gauge their badness. If they suddenly become angels, take them to the vet; something’s wrong. At Leppy’s age, he was a continual angel, so that standard no longer applied. I mentioned to the doctor his slowing down, but nothing suggested that a blood test was needed. After that, Leppy slowly became ill. No fever, no loss of appetite, but his drinking increased, his energy continued to decrease, and finally, ever loosening stools appeared. If a fever had appeared I would have known to take him back to the vet sooner, but by the second week of October, his prognosis was very grim. The morning I took him in again he had vomited, he had stopped eating, and he had full-blown diarrhea. The doctor told me they’d start fluids and intravenous antibiotics. Broached next was the subject of euthanasia. I respect each difficult decision ever made in this regard, but somehow I always ‘knew’ two things about Leporello: one, he’d live to be fifteen; and two, he’d pass at home with Sunny and me by his side. These were things I never consciously thought about, or had as goals, they were just always there, in the back of my mind, obtained at time unknown or by channel unexplained. But, there I was, my fourteen-year-old dog on the verge of being humanely killed before a virus murdered him in the hospital. “Do what you can,” I said. He was no better, in fact much worse, 9 hours later when I picked him up from his regular vet. They had no overnight care, so decision number two had to be made. Take him home, home to die that night, or take him to the referral doctors with their 24/7 treatment facilities. We picked up the tired-looking but still ambulatory Leppy and took him to the overnight care facility. They continued his treatment of fluids and antibiotics. At 6 AM he was to receive another blood test with immediate processing. If his blood toxicity was not on the rebound, another decision would have to be made. The phone rang at 7 o’clock – not only no better, but worse. Forgetting her impeccable bedside manner, the doctor wondered out loud how it was that Leppy was still conscious with the reported levels of coma-inducing poison in his blood. I told her, he’s coming home – no more needles; no more fluorescent lighting; just peace.

I have to say I was shocked to see Leppy twenty minutes later. He was barely able to walk that morning as he came through the ward doors to me in the waiting room. The overnight nurse who had cared for him the entire time slowly led a dog who acted so out of sorts, he did not immediately react to my presence. I was handed his lead and told the doctor wanted to talk to me, but my thought was to get Lep into the car. As I hoisted him into the back of our SUV and settled him on a blanket, he looked up at me. Those same guileless eyes that have looked at me for all those years from the picture frame – from that first Sunday we had him – they looked straight into me. “So tired,” they said. “I’m so tired – you understand me.”

The doctor came rushing out to the car. She looked like she was about to cry. “I’m so sorry,” she told me. “I’m so sorry.”

“No,” I said, glancing through the open car door. Leppy had repositioned himself to face the two of us. “No. Please call his vet and tell them we’ll try one more day of treatment. One more day.”

Something passed in that look. The ‘something’ to me was clear, but I must have conveyed another thing to Leporello, something that let him know I was supremely unready to lose him, and he, though he probably wanted to continue on to comforting rest, decided selflessly to fight. He, I firmly believe, at that moment fought on for my sake. In the very ecstasy of his own supreme suffering, he thought first of my pain, and my suffering was something he could not abide. He grasped onto love with the same tenacity as on a tennis ball. He would not let go, if I could not let go.

At the end of another nine hours, I took him home, but I could tell a marked improvement had occurred. The near-zombie of the morning was gone. He greeted me with tired jubilation and anxious energy to go home. The staff reported good news – he had eaten. The caregiver dedicated to assisting him that day had been inspired to try baby food: puréed turkey. Patiently he enticed an at-first-apathetic Leporello. He then rubbed some on his patient’s gums, and Leppy, despite himself, developed an appetite. Reluctantly at first, then with relish, he polished off several jars. This same nurse instructed me on how to give the fluids at home, Doctor Fong saying there was a chance his kidneys would be kick-started back into some function. This, with antibiotics, was Leppy’s only chance, but at dark-horse odds.

Getting Leppy settled at home, he showed no interest in the rugs, or carpet, but was actively sniffing for Figaro. Once he assured himself his little Cocker charge was safe and secure, Leppy settled down on his couch in the kitchen with obvious relief. Figaro, never one to stand on ceremony, sidled up to Leppy’s flank and curled up in his belly section. Leppy for his part, as far as anyone could observe by his cool demeanor, positively curled up around the Cocker Spaniel in comfortable reciprocation. He was home.

 

˚  ˚  ˚  ˚  ˚

 

The super volume of fluids introduced into his system meant he had to go outside every 3 hours. I’d help him stand, but otherwise he’d take himself up the three broad steps to the garden from the back door and relieve himself. I prepared his food – chicken cooked with macaroni – and pulled out the baby food I bought before I picked him up. I tried rubbing it on the inside of his gum, but he didn’t seem too interested. I prayed the next morning would find him hungry. To be ready to assist him during the night, I moved the outdoor sofa cushion indoors and arranged it on the kitchen floor next to Leppy’s couch. We slept that way – he sleeping more than I did – shaking off all those needles and fluorescent lights in a dark dreamless sleep. In the morning, I retried the baby food, and he seemed just as uninterested. This more than anything panicked me. He motivated running on several days with very little nourishment, and he could die from lack of strength. Something inspired me to try another way. A new approach – I dabbed some on the top of his nose. Out of sheer annoyance, his tongue would make an appearance and wipe it clean. After ten or so licks, I suppose the saliva glands were stimulated and the flavor in his mouth created an appetite. Soon he was licking it off my finger, then out of the jar, then another jar, then another. By afternoon, he was gingerly picking chicken pieces out of the macaroni. Then by evening, he was eating the starch too. But back in the morning, after he had something in his stomach, I gave him a liter of fluids and he napped soundly with Figaro at his side. Repeating this, my sleeping in the kitchen, staying up late watching late 1980s Friday the 13th: the Series reruns on TV and trying to get myself tired enough to go to sleep for three hours, Leppy and I passed many nights to come. But within a couple of days of our new routine, unbelievably – unbelievable for anyone who does not know what an Airedale who’s made up his mind can do – he improved. He began to eat his full. His stool returned to normal, and by the second week, he was wagging his tail at the sight of Doctor Fong.

“Have you met the Lazarus dog!” I called out to the vet from the waiting room.

 

˚  ˚  ˚  ˚  ˚    

 

Hard to believe, but by Halloween, not only was he better, but he was better than in the weeks before his illness. His fluid volume was reduced to a third, to 500 milliliters daily, and his body adjusted to his new situation with complete continence. I stopped sleeping in the kitchen, and Leppy too returned to the bedroom and his bed. Upstairs was warmer, and cozier with all four of us resuming our slumber routine.

But like the character of Mary in Little Women, the recovery may have been full, but the constitution was weakened. Like Mary’s, Leppy’s time was limited. Miracle it felt on November 4th, 2010, to celebrate his fifteenth birthday. He tore open his presents with the same gusto as he did on his first. These days – six months and one day extra to be exact – were not selfish days. He resumed doing what was routine, walking the familiar sidewalks, and touching people like the open-armed baby in the stroller, and our lady neighbor into whose hugs he settled to receive her gentle “I love you.”

There were ups and downs, but Thanksgiving was a time for all his human friends to visit with him. He relished their attention, and his new charge, Masetto, learned by example how an Airedale properly attends a court of admirers. By Christmas, there was more wrapping paper to rip open, though he left all the toy contents to Masetto and Figaro to play with. Each morning I spent a couple of hours on his medical care, but these tasks were never very demanding. These few days since he died, I have kept this time – the time I spent on him – to write these essays. These hours set aside for him are not easy for me to give up, but with the time used to try and heal him, I have turned the proverbial clock, and borrowed his minutes no longer needed to try and heal myself.

When Leppy died, the layers of my grief seemed to focus on a certain bleakness of perspective. Namely, for fifteen years – looking backwards – I could find his presence there in each and every day. But looking forward, a future loomed where he did not exist in even one more of those days. But, by writing these seven essays, one every day for a week, I have cheated death, for at least in seven of these endlessly bleak days that stretch ad nauseam to my own death, Leporello walked with me. I forced him to be with me so that he will ever be here with me. I hope he chooses to remain through choice, but either way, I know I let him go – that I can let him go now, knowing that sooner or later, we will walk again together. I have less fear now that I shall forget his sweet alkaline scent, and I have better ascended faith’s rungs that I shall smell Leppy’s sweet presence again, when I am ready – when I am worthy.

 

˚  ˚  ˚  ˚  ˚

Yesterday we picked up his remains. They rode in my lap back home, the sad remainder of us taking that little pup from Max and Abby Gail’s side, and of that trip when he first came home with us. Then a certain plain mouse toy awaited him, and now a certain emptiness awaited the rest of us. After his passing – peacefully on his couch with us gathered around – Sunny and I performed the rites of family. We observed his obsequies with tear-stained eyes, wiping him clean from head to tail with moist towelettes and laying him down on the blanket from our bed. This blanket Sunny bought in Japan specifically for Leppy’s comfort and one that could be a bedspread against his nails that frayed all others. Sunny removed the name tag from his collar and placed it near his head, below his chin. When he was dying – the minute or two after he stopped breathing, but his heart continued to rush blood to his brain – I summoned all my strength and asked Max to come and lead him to them – to his mother and brothers and sisters, and I know he was there, there to collect his child from us as we had from him. Sunny placed the tag so Leppy could recognize his remains if he had to, and so that others could identify him too. For my part, I knew what I had to do, though it broke my heart. I went to retrieve a well-loved, faintly soiled little object. Without its blue-lined ears, or its rope tail, the mouse was otherwise intact. Leppy had ripped and eviscerated any number of toys of their stuffing – a hundred, perhaps – but through all the years he left his mouse alone. I placed it on the blanket with him – I did not want to – but I knew I had no right to keep it anymore. It went with him.

On the way home, I mentioned to Sunny that I had been thinking. Some of his ashes we should keep with us, but with the rest, we should set him free. Free to run amongst the dogs in the parks he loved: Corona Heights, Buena Vista, and especially in Duboce Park. We must share him with those he loved. And that’s what we did.

I started this with one question in mind: How can a Creator, a creator we are raised to believe exists in pure love, allow pain to exist? How can he in his creation have opened a door for loss to creep in? If he loved us, how can he have wrought in that love a pain that tempers love at the same moment? But, perhaps suffering is the one aspect of the Divine that we are allowed. Perhaps it is suffering that acts through the muddling confusion of human conceit itself. It tells us we are not the dashing, the urbane or polished, the artless, the self-possessed or meekly-lost people we fancy ourselves to be, sometimes in turns, sometimes all in a jumble. No, we are at best, faulty reflectors of the Divine moment when flashed the bitterest pain that God picked at the start of this world. For when a parent has to watch their child die before them of old age, we assume God’s vantage – we are forced to see a plain stretch before us of lonely and seemingly helpless sorrow.

 

  ˚  ˚  ˚  ˚  ˚

 

When I was a child, and out riding with my father, for he loved his twilight rambles, I would ask him if he knew what God’s favorite color was. “Green,” I’d tell him myself, “just look around!” And so God’s green ever pushes, always new, always at the pinnacle of optimism, and thus pushing, like Masetto closing his eyes to better take in the relishing of life and its emotions – the same as Max did with his parakeet. I too close my eyes, and I see Leporello. I close my eyes, and the force of ecstasy there I will tenaciously hold to myself. Through his image I will be able to remind myself, in dark days ahead, of the true force of Love, of God, and of Dog.

 

 

~

 

 

 

 

_

Copyright © 2017 AC Benus; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
  • Love 1
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I read all seven now and I guess I love them because I have loved my own dogs.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 07/21/2014 06:43 AM, Foster said:
I read all seven now and I guess I love them because I have loved my own dogs.
Thank you, my friend.
Link to comment

I made a mistake, so there is an empty story review. This is what I meant to say.

 

For every dog-owner these seven stories will activate memories. They did with me. While reading I re-lived long forgotten moments with my four-legged companion of over 15 years.
A very personal eulogy that reflects the love given and the love received.

 

My guess is a future dog of the author will be named Tamino.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 7/5/2015 at 3:51 AM, J.HunterDunn said:

I made a mistake, so there is an empty story review. This is what I meant to say.

For every dog-owner these seven stories will activate memories. They did with me. While reading I re-lived long forgotten moments with my four-legged companion of over 15 years.

A very personal eulogy that reflects the love given and the love received.

My guess is a future dog of the author will be named Tamino.

A sage guess, my friend - we will have to see if it comes true. Thank you for the review.

Edited by AC Benus
Link to comment

These essays were wonderfully revealing. I have never, ever been without a dog, and so I understand the loss, but know the incredible joy they bring and the warmth in their memories.

 

My Belladonna, is a 12 yr old Rottweiler. 8 months ago, she was diagnosed with cancer, and my vet thought it futile to remove the tumor and suggested we put her down. Second opinion, pretty much the same, except that she is now on meds. No pain, no real change in disposition, just a little slower some days. I shudder to think I would have lost 8 months had I listened to my Vet. I know I would want her to be at home too, if I could help it.

 

Thanks for sharing AC!

  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 8/11/2015 at 9:05 AM, Defiance19 said:

These essays were wonderfully revealing. I have never, ever been without a dog, and so I understand the loss, but know the incredible joy they bring and the warmth in their memories.

My Belladonna, is a 12 yr old Rottweiler. 8 months ago, she was diagnosed with cancer, and my vet thought it futile to remove the tumor and suggested we put her down. Second opinion, pretty much the same, except that she is now on meds. No pain, no real change in disposition, just a little slower some days. I shudder to think I would have lost 8 months had I listened to my Vet. I know I would want her to be at home too, if I could help it.

Thanks for sharing, AC!

Thank you, Defiance19. It's nice to have some knowledge that your Belladonna is comfortable, and simply being herself. It's a very heartening to hear a similar experience, as the last six months of Leppy's life were very special ones.

Thank you for reading these essays.

Edited by AC Benus
Link to comment

Only in June 2022, while I was preparing this text for the press, did l encounter a piece that may be considered Walks With Leporello’s counterpart. Perhaps by way of happy accident, or by pre-ordained destiny, I’ve recently been listening to episodes of Tallulah Bankhead’s ninety-minute-long The Big Show, which was broadcast by NBC radio. The Big Show offered comedy and music, and somewhat more uniquely for primetime listening, dramatic scenes and readings. On the March 11th, 1951, program, Bankhead read from Oscar Odd McIntyre’s 1923 Cosmopolitan Magazine essay “Missing Junior.” The best-selling author had a syndicated daily column about life in New York as an outsider, and can be best understood as a cross between O. Henry and Alistair Cooke. As the man’s work is woefully underrepresented on the internet, I’ve typed up a transcript of McIntyre’s moving essay from the broadcast.

 

Missing Junior

 

Fifth Avenue, street of dreams and enchantment; street of tragedy, personal tragedy. For here is where I lost my dearest friend. My dog.

 

“Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware

Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.”

 

Eight of the happiest years of my life were spent in the almost constant companionship of a devoted dog. When he was taken from me, I grieved inconsolably. For weeks I would walk the streets at night, trying to get hold of myself.

My dog’s name was Junior. He was a Boston-Bulldog weighing twenty-four pounds. He was full of joyous life and never outgrew his prankishness. I picked him up in a Fifth Avenue dog shop in much the same manner one buys a trinket. I thought he was cute looking. He was four weeks old, and he trotted sideways with mock seriousness. I took him home in my overcoat pocket.

From that day on, for eight years, he played a big part in my life. He came to understand me better than most of my human associates. He knew his time for play, and my time for work. He did not trespass. For six years, he never varied five minutes; at the stroke of 5 o’clock in the evening, he’d come in to me with his rubber ball in his mouth. That was his hour for romp. He demanded his hour. One of my great faults has always been a lack of punctuality. But I was always on the dot to keep the romping appointment with Junior.

One day I got to thinking about this, and the result was I became more careful. Surely, I should show humans as much consideration as I showed my dog.

For several years, Junior, Maybelle – his mistress – and I used to walk around the gravel path of a Central Park reservoir, at New York, in dusk, after his romp. At such times I would permit him to frolic and roll in the grass unleashed. One evening, however, he disappeared in a clump of bushes and refused to come out at my call and whistles. I followed him, and found him squatting besides a stray dog that had been injured by a passing automobile. We called about a Bide-a-wee home, and the hurt creature was taken to it and cured. [i]

This incident gave me some serious moments of introspection. How often, I asked myself, had I stopped along the roadside to comfort the stricken and forlorn?

We did not continue the walk home just then. Instead, we left Millionaires’ Row, wandered over to the squalid section of New York’s East Side, and mounted the rickety stairs of a crowded tenement. There we sat at the bedside of an old cop who had lived in our neighborhood; who had been stricken with a fatal illness. We paid his small rent, had some food sent to him, and were occasional visitors until the end.

I do not do so much of this thing as I should, but the credit to what little I have done is due to Junior.

Here is one incident I hesitate to tell. More than likely it is the merest coincidence – but it is set down here just as it happened.

Junior accompanied me one summer to my little hometown in Missouri, and together we went one afternoon to the cemetery to visit the grave of my mother. It had been a number of years since I had been there, and the place had become so strange to me that I wandered around for half an hour in an effort to find the spot. Finally, I gave it up as hopeless. Looking around for Junior, I saw him lying down about one hundred yards away. He didn’t seem inclined to come to me, so I went to him. And I found that he was resting at the side of my mother’s grave.

 

----------

 

I come to the final chapter of Junior’s life with tears that are shed unashamed.

Junior, like all good dogs, was faithful to the end. He died obeying my command, which made his loss all the more tragic to me. It was late at night – little traffic on Fifth Avenue – so I took off his leash. He’d been trained to wait at the curb until he received the command Go, then he would race across like a flash. I stepped to the curb and looked for traffic; there seemed to be none. I shouted Go. Junior was off at a bound. At that instant, a party of reckless joyriders swung madly around the corner, and Junior was hit.

He staggered to his feet. And as I lifted him in my arms, he looked up with his soft pleading eyes, begging for the help I could not give. Hailing a taxicab, I hurried to my hotel a few blocks away, but before I’d reached there, he died, without even a whimper of pain.

 

----------

 

Shortly after carrying him into my hotel room, there came a gentle knock at the door. Old Paddy, who cleans cuspidors, was there with tears streaming down his wrinkled cheeks. In his hand was a faded flower, for which he had walked several blocks to buy in his crippled rheumatic way, and placed it in Junior’s box. He choked back his sorrow to say a few words.

There are those who do not care for dogs. For them I have the greatest tolerance. In my heart I know they do not understand, and I know Junior would forgive them.

No, he loved people. He was the friend of every man, woman and child.

So, now, it is at this hour of dusk I write of my beloved Boston-Bulldog. If he were with me, he would be muzzling my hand with his cool, dewy nose, for when I sat at my typewriter and thoughts failed to come, he understood; he crept very close and remained very quiet. It is his hour to romp – to tease and bark with wild abandon. On my desk are the rubber balls he loved to retrieve. Yet, tears are futile and cannot call him back, but I look at them and weep unashamed. 

Junior taught me more of the enduring things of life than many people have. He has left me a priceless heritage. The love of a dog.

I like to think that when I too start on the Great Adventure, Junior will be there to greet me. I want to see his stubby tail wagging and his lovable lop-ear perked in that joyous, quizzical way he had.

He was an expression of love, and I refuse stubbornly to believe that such a fine thing can pass with what we mortals call death. I feel that he lives, and that my sorrow is a selfish grief, because I love and miss him so.

 

----------

 

As this is written, he rests in a little white, silk-lined casket, in the Hartsdale canine cemetery, a picturesque place on the sloping hills near New York. Above him is the cool, green sward he loved. Over his little mound is a small tombstone, where  the inscription reads “Junior – Faithful to the End.”

He was all of that, for Junior died a truer death obeying the command of his master. That he should die obeying a command of mine has made the burden doubly poignant. It is crushing.

Yes, it’s true, what Kipling wrote . . .

 

“Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware

Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.” [ii]

—Oscar Odd McIntyre, [iii]          

1923

 

 

 

 

 


[i] Bideawee is an organization offering shelter and medical care to homeless animals.

https://www.bideawee.org/

[ii] The quote is from Rudyard Kipling’s poem The Power of the Dog. The concluding couplet of the work reads:

 

“So why in – Heaven (before we are there)

Should we give our hearts to a dog to tear?”

 

https://www.poetryloverspage.com/poets/kipling/power_of_dog.html

[iii] “Missing Junior” Oscar Odd McIntyre, from his monthly essay series published in Cosmopolitan Magazine. For a general overview of McIntyre’s life and work, see Greg Daugherty’s April 24th, 2011, Smithsonian Magazine article “Odd McIntyre: The Man Who Taught America About New York” here:

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/odd-mcintyre-the-man-who-taught-america-about-new-york-2317241/

 

_

Edited by AC Benus
  • Love 1
Link to comment
33 minutes ago, Parker Owens said:

What a great rest and moving tale. Yes, this writer needs a wider audience. 

You're speaking about O.O. McIntyre, and I agree :) Thanks for reading, Parker 

Edited by AC Benus
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..