Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Crosscurrents - 7. Catching the Wave

So I crashed and burned with Staci. But with practice for fall sports gearing up, I didn't have much time to mope about it. And in any case, there were two side benefits: First, losing my virginity gave me loads of confidence with girls. And beyond that, losing it to an "older woman" did some good things for my reputation among my peers, both male and female. All in all, between sports and sex, my entrance into high school was like catching the perfect wave, one that I'd surf all the way through my teenage years.

It started late that summer, less than a month before the school year began. In my neighborhood people were returning with their families from vacations. You'd see more and more kids hanging out at the mall and the movies again, starting to shop for clothes, starting to talk about the upcoming year, catching up on what everybody did over the summer. Word got around about my relationship with Staci. I wasn't looking forward to talking about it much; from my perspective, it had been a pretty spectacular failure. Unlike Matt, who fell into heavy infatuation spontaneously, I was pretty guarded with girls, emotionally. Staci was the first girl who'd ever gotten to me. I'd given my heart to her, and I'd gotten dumped. But as word got around about my summer fling, suddenly my friends were asking me all kinds of questions about my opinions on the upcoming year. And guys I'd known only casually were coming by or calling up to say "hi" and to find out what I thought: Who was going to have it going on this year? Did I think they had any chance on making first string on the freshman team? What kind of activities should they get involved in? And especially, who were the coolest upperclassmen?

Even more intriguing, I was getting more and more phone calls from girls who were "just wanting to talk," inquiring about my summer, asking me when I had lunch period.

The whole thing struck me as ridiculous. All this from dating an "older woman"? Or was it that I'd scored with her? I didn't know. All I knew is that I was still smarting from the experience. I didn't feel in any way qualified as either Freshman Stud or as expert on Happiness In High School. Still, the upside of such absurdity registered strong with me: There was a freshman dance scheduled for the first Friday night of the school week, and it dawned on me that I wasn't going to have to worry about getting a date.

So began my first lesson in making my way through the high school "scene." Apparently, it didn't matter that I didn't get it. How did getting dumped qualify as "success"? Who knew? But I came to see that what I didn't know didn't matter, so I decided it would be stupid not to take the ball and run with it; let people think what they wanted to think. If they wanted me to be the expert on how to be a freshman success, I wasn't going to disillusion them. Somebody had to be The Guy, and I'd understood firsthand up to now the perks associated with popularity in school. So I faked my way through it, pretending I knew what I was talking about when somebody would ask me some unanswerable question about the upcoming year. People were looking to define who belonged where in the fall. I wasn't going to notch myself lower just because I didn't understand how I'd gotten a jump start. The same sort of stratifying process was occurring on the playing fields that summer. As we watched each other on and off the field, we sensed, without really knowing how we knew, that lines were being drawn.

The months from late June onward had been devoted to intense training for all the guys who intended to be fall-season jocks. Club soccer season was about to start, and for most of July I was sweating through team workouts. Meanwhile, Matt was pestering me about football. One particularly hot evening about three weeks before school, he met me coming off the soccer field after practice and started in on me.

"Okay, Sharpe, you got your spot on your little pansy-ass soccer team; now you gotta set your mind on freshman football. Practice starts tomorrow, dude."

I grimaced and shook my head at him. My group of friends from the junior high football team had gone out for the freshman team during tryouts the previous spring. Those of us who had made it were given a conditioning program to follow over the summer; we were scheduled to begin two-a-days a few weeks before school.

I was a little concerned about balancing all my extra-curricular involvements with my schoolwork in the coming year. In particular, I dreaded working at two fall sports, each of which seemed to demand my body's total commitment. I'd been following the football conditioning program even before the summer soccer workouts were in full swing, so I was in shape; still, I'd already warned Matt that I might not have time for two sports in the fall. Matt, for his part, wasn't having any of that; he was constantly in my face about it. So today's harangue wasn't anything new, but at that moment I was too exhausted to listen.

"Would you please for the love of God get outta my face about that?" I stripped off my sweat-soaked jersey and threw it at him. "I haven't exactly been lying around jerkin' off today. I'm tired and thirsty and the first thing I run into when I come off the field is your sorry ass, raggin' on me about goddam football. I told you I'd have to think about it, and in case you haven't picked up on it yet, now's not a good time."

"Don't you sass me, boy," he said, imitating his mother. "Duty calls, so you gotta step up. You got no more time to think about it. Anyway, you know you want to." Dropping behind me a couple of steps, he snapped my bare back with my jersey.

"Ow! Goddammit!" I cried out, grabbing my jersey back and returning him a wicked sting with it on the inside of his right upper thigh. "Would you just fuckin' leave me alone if all you're gonna do is give me grief?"

He stepped back, a little surprised at my hostility. "Okay, okay; I'm sorry! Geez, who put the twist in your panties?"

I was about to go at him again, when the image conjured up by his words began to do its work on my funny bone. Pretty soon I was having to suppress a chuckle, and before long I was in a laughing fit. "God, you are such an asshole," I said.

"Yeah," he grinned back at me, "but you know you love me! And anyway, I just need to know you're in, 'cause I got plans for us."

"What plans? What are you talking about?"

"Here; go long," he said, cocking his arm back as he palmed the football he seemed to take everywhere with him that summer. Dutifully, I took off down the now-empty soccer field, and watched Matt sail a beautiful spiral bomb right into my waiting hands.

I ran back and tossed the football to him. "Nice throw," I said.

"Nice catch," he responded. "See?"

I furrowed my brow. "See what?"

"Hand and glove, Sharpe; I know your moves and you know mine. I got plans, dude. I'm gonna be the QB of this fuckin' school and it starts with making QB on the freshman team. And trust me, I'm getting that spot. Nobody's keeping me from it. We can be awesome together on this team; I need you to be my go-to wide receiver."

"Nobody said I'm gonna get the first-string spot," I replied. "We got guys from the other junior highs now and some of 'em want those spots too. I'm not the only wide receiver coming up from junior high."

"You're gonna get first string and you know it," he said matter-of-factly. "You know how to run a route better than those guys. You catch everything I throw at you and you always have. You're a smart player and you know how to get open." He looked at me intently and said, "You want me to say it again? Okay, I will: I need you on this team."

I sighed. I wasn't that good. I ran well, I guess. I wasn't particularly fast, but I ran smart; evasive moves come to you after a while when you play soccer, and I guess some of that translated into my ability to get open on the football field. But a pro football career was definitely not in my future.

None of that mattered, though. What mattered was this: Matt wanted me on the team with him, and as much as I'd resisted it, that fact decided it for me. When was I ever able to turn him down? "Oh, all right," I said, trying to sound exasperated. "I guess I was gonna do it anyway, and I can tell I'll never fuckin' hear the end of it from you if I don't."

"That's more like it," he said, grinning. He paused for a minute and added, "We're gonna fuckin' rule this place; don't you wanna be the Big High School Stud? You may think you're 'all that' from your little romance with Staci, but there's no way we'll get the rep if we don't do football."

He was right. In Texas high schools, if you have the ability and the body for it, you go out for football. And regardless of what else you do, that gets you an upper spot in high school's cruel hierarchy. It also assures you of being able to get with the best-looking girls.

With that in mind, I muttered, "You're thinking with your dick."

"No, I'm thinking of my dick," he grinned, "and I'm thinking of yours, too, and trust me, both our dicks are gonna thank me for it."

He started laughing like a maniac. Sensing the opportunity to catch him off-guard and take the upper hand for once, I grabbed him around the neck and put him in a headlock. He pushed me hard and broke away, yelling, "Jesus, man, you stink. Go home and take a fuckin' shower."

"Nah, man, that's my cologne," I said with a laugh;"Calvin Klean Soccer Musk. Whatsamatter, don't you like it?"

"You're sick," he said. "Anyway, I mainly came by to tell you that a bunch of us are hanging out at Kathryn Janssen's tonight. Her dad's cooking hot dogs and burgers by the pool and she wanted me to tell you you're invited; but dude, you'll kill the party if you go smelling like that."

"I don't know, man, I'm fuckin' tired," I said. "Who's gonna be there?"

"Everybody," he replied. "Freshman football team; freshman cheerleaders; other assorted girls. She got some kind of list from her mom. You know; Mrs. Janssen's a freshman counselor. Kathryn prolly got her mom to pull up a list from the school computer or something. We'll get to meet a bunch of the kids from the other junior highs."

"Why didn't I know about this," I said, eyeing him suspiciously, "and why didn't she invite me herself?"

Matt looked back at me sheepishly. "Well...she did. She called you a couple of weeks ago. I was over and you were showering. I answered your phone and took a message."

"Goddammit, Matt, now you tell me. Why didn't you tell me that day?"

"I forgot, okay? Gimme a fuckin' break. You think just because you have ADD that you're the only one who forgets things?"

Ouch. I didn't appreciate the reference, but he made his point. I'd been struggling with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder since I was a little kid, and didn't ask anyone to cut me any slack for it, but I did tend to treat others as if they shouldn't display any of those focus-and-attention weaknesses that plagued me.

"Okay. Sorry. When does it start?"

"You're supposed to be there at seven," he replied. "Dress casual, bring swim trunks and a towel."

"Seven? Shit! It's six now! Okay, I'll see you there."

"You better," he said.

I unchained my bike from the stand and took off.

We had a great time at the party. There were probably fifty kids there; it was all good clean fun, with plenty of chaperones, but we enjoyed it anyway. I met a girl named Stephanie from one of the other junior highs. She was blonde, blue-eyed, and beautiful. We hit it off really well and spent the evening in each other's company. Somewhere during the course of the evening, I decided that not only did I like this girl a lot, it would also look studly to take a date to the upcoming freshman dance from outside our usual circle. I asked her and she accepted.

It was going to be a great year.

----------

Football practice started the next day. Two-a-days in the 100-plus-degree Texas sun can make for quite a toughening program. The coaches were scrupulously committed to keeping us hydrated, because Texas schools have been known to kill a few young football players in the summer with heatstroke. Still, even with that caution in place, and even with frequent breaks, the experience is numbingly oppressive. The sun is merciless, and the coaches are relentlessly tough on the players. That kind of intensity, of course, solidifies the camaraderie among those who have to suffer through it, so during those first few weeks of two-a-days, the guys seemed to fall naturally and spontaneously into smaller groups of boys who were similar in heart, mind, and personality.

In my case, the crew of friends I made during two-a-days became my "posse" for the entire time I was in high school. There was Matt, of course, with his dark hair, tanned skin, and piercing ice-blue eyes; Ruben, a buff Latino kid who lived not far from Matt and who was also vying for the coveted quarterback position that Matt was determined to have; Ryan, a towheaded, blue-eyed blur who became our running back that year; and Ethan, a redheaded cornerback who had attended a different junior high from mine. Rounding out the pack was Justin, from Ethan's junior high, whose pale white skin contrasted strikingly with his jet-black hair and dark brown eyes. Like me, Justin was also a wide receiver, and he was the team's resident funny man. I’d had a reputation as a funny man in junior high, but my act couldn't hold a candle to his. He could have us all in a belly laugh with a mere facial expression or a well-timed three-word quip. I gladly gave the "comedian" title over to him because in that area he was clearly the better man.

These guys became my comrades-in-arms throughout high school. Teenage guys tend to travel in packs, and my pack came from my football team. Even though soccer was my favorite sport, the boys who played club soccer with me came from all over the Dallas metroplex and went to different schools. It was my crew of football brothers I knew best, and who knew me best, during the years of my adolescence.

I was set: I had my friends, I had my place in the high school "universe," and I had one good man to watch my back. Bring the wave; I was ready to ride it.

Thank you for reading! Feedback is welcomed at: adamtexanguy@outlook.com
2003-2013 Adam Phillips; All Rights Reserved. This story and its characters remain the property of the author and may not be reproduced or republished elsewhere without the author's written consent. Chapters may contain scenes depicting a loving and/or sexual relationship between consenting males. If you find this material morally or legally questionable, please do not read further.
  • Like 21
  • Love 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Well, Andy is the king now, thanx to Stacy :D ADD? Does that explain his lack of self control and screwed up self-defense behavior? Interesting. I like Matt wanting to keep him closer.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

ADD was a less believable surprise considering Andy's previous admission about his academic prowess, not exactly sure what it adds but am more than willing to give the benefit of doubt based on the awesome precedent of quality writing established. Fun chapter about ridiculously important high school dynamics.

 

Thanks for for another great chapter.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

You do the high school stuff really well in a very convincing manner, much better really than the earlier period which seemed more an adult's perception of a child's experiences rather than a child's view. Though the earlier chapters were embued with a great intensity and powerful writing, whereas these chapters are more lighthearted somehow and less intense. Interesting. Not sure where the ADD suddenly came from. It was a surprise and seemed so totally uncharacteristic and out of sync. I would have expected Matt to be the candidate for ADD rather!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 01/28/2014 07:01 AM, Jaro_423 said:
You do the high school stuff really well in a very convincing manner, much better really than the earlier period which seemed more an adult's perception of a child's experiences rather than a child's view. Though the earlier chapters were embued with a great intensity and powerful writing, whereas these chapters are more lighthearted somehow and less intense. Interesting. Not sure where the ADD suddenly came from. It was a surprise and seemed so totally uncharacteristic and out of sync. I would have expected Matt to be the candidate for ADD rather!
As I said in my email to you, the story is narrated by a young adult. You wouldn't expect him to narrate his childhood from the point of view of a child. And as for ADD and how it manifests, it appears to me you don't have a lot of personal familiarity with ADD. I do...about as much as a person can get, if you get my drift. And trust me; there are a lot of high-intellect achievers out there who have ADD. Having it doesn't mean you're not capable of focusing, and it doesn't mean you do poorly in school. It does, however, mean you can't ever find your keys. ;-)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..