Jump to content
    arsimms
  • Author
  • 2,590 Words
  • 1,033 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

For Richer or For Poorer - 11. Chapter 11 - Confrontations Part 1

A burned out car in an abandoned parking lot and a press conference leave one agent dead, one in the hospital, and another on the brink of an emotional breakdown.

Ryan was in his office later that night. He was exhausted. He had the crime scene photos strewn all over his desk. He picked up a photo of Damien lying on the dingy, bloodstained prison mattress, ear sliced off. He picked up another photo. In it was a bloody message written on the adjacent decaying, moldy brick wall covered in prison graffiti.

‘CATCH ME IF YOU CAN.’

He turned his attention to the second set of photographs. A burned out car in an old parking lot that had been owned by a grocery store now long gone.

The sun barely poked over the horizon that cold November morning. As they sipped hot coffee, Sam joined them.

“Sorry to drag you guys out of bed. This bastard knows just how to piss me off,” Sam said.

The boys had maybe two hours of sleep. The crime scene at the prison had taken most of the night.

“What do we have?” Kieran asked.

“Dispatch called it in about 5:30. The caller described a burning car in a parking lot. The call went dead with no further details. They dispatched units all over the city; this is the result.”

The sight before them made Ryan’s stomach churn. A pall of black smoke was still visible over the scene as they approached the metallic skeleton of the car.

Burning flesh and rubber choked the crisp air.

“Do we know anything about the man or the car?” Ryan asked.

“The car is a total loss—“Sam said.

“Sam, tell us something we don’t know.” Ryan interrupted.

“Don’t get testy with me,” Sam said.

“Sorry, continue.”

“The car is a total loss. But the plates survived the fire. It belongs to Katelynn Flanders.”

“Our killer was busy last night. Any idea who Mr. Crispy is?” Kieran asked.

“One of the officers found this about 100 yards from the car,” Sam held up an evidence bag with a wallet inside. “The ID belongs to Grayson Polk. I'm having my detectives run the name down now.”

At the car, Melinda crouched to examine the burnt body.

“Can you tell us how he died?” Kieran asked.

“He was shot in the head.”

Suddenly a commotion erupted from behind the yellow tape.

The agents walked over to find out what was going on.

“I need to speak to Agents Vincenzo and Pollack,” the voice said, loudly.

“They are investigating a crime scene,” a young officer said, trying to hold back a man in a black suit, holding a leather briefcase.

“Listen kid, I need to speak to them. NOW!”

“Director Hawthorne, what the hell are you doing?” Kieran asked, dismissing the terrified police officer.

“Trying to understand what is going on in this investigation.”

Alexander Hawthorne possessed distinguished gray hair, although balding in in the back. He was about sixty, a gruff man and had a reputation for his temper. He had been Director of the Chicago Field Office for ten years.

“You could have called.” Ryan said.

“Can it Vincenzo! I'm not in the mood for your nonsense right now. You two have a lot to explain,” Hawthorne said, giving Ryan an angry look.

“Can it wait, sir? We’re in the middle of an investigation right now.” Kieran said.

“No Pollack. It can’t. This serial killer has made you two a laughingstock. How could you let this happen?” Hawthorne said.

“What are you talking about, sir?” Ryan asked.

Hawthorne opened up his briefcase and pulled out two newspapers. The Chicago Sun and the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.

“What is this?” Kieran asked.

“According to the Chicago Sun, you two are…” he read from the newspaper, “‘Incompetent, sex-crazed fools who couldn’t solve a jigsaw puzzle let alone a murder case.’” He shoved the Milwaukee paper into Kieran’s hands. “Read the headline!”

“FBI Accosts Then Arrests Reporter!” Kieran said.

“What the hell kind of investigation are you running Pollack?” Hawthorne snarled.

“One: The Ripper seems to like to give the media sound bites. Two: We are doing the best we can with this investigation. And three: we never accosted anybody. This bastard broke into a sorority house where eight young women were murdered, to steal evidence,” Kieran said, biting off his anger.

“Where is this reporter now?” Hawthorne asked.

“Dead.” Ryan said.

“Dead? How could you let him die?”

“You think this is our fault?” Kieran asked, incredulous.

“I don’t know whose fault this is. No one is telling me a damn thing!”

“Try the bastard who snuck into his cell and murdered him,” Kieran said.

“That’s enough, Pollack.”

“Good, now if you don’t mind, I’ve got a murder case to solve right after a night filled with sex and jigsaw puzzles.” Kieran said before returning to the crime scene.

Ryan, shocked at Kieran’s outburst, looked at Hawthorne, shook his head, and followed.

Now looking through the photographs. His head ached just thinking about the investigation.

Ryan sat back in his chair, resting his tired eyes when Kieran walked in.

“You asleep?” Kieran asked.

“No, just tired,” Ryan said. Kieran’s sad demeanor drew him. “What’s up, babe?”

“Hawthorne was right. I'm to blame.” Kieran said.

“What?” Ryan asked, confused.

“The Ripper played me. I put Scoggins in prison and now he’s dead. I killed him. ” Kieran said.

“What are you talking about? Snap out of it, Kier! You’re not to blame at all. What’s gotten into you?” Ryan asked, concerned for his partner.

Kieran handed him the letter Damien stole from the sorority house.

Dear Agent Pollack,
Your incompetence amuses me. You aren’t that stupid are you? Damien’s death was part of my master plan. You played right into the palm of my hand. He was my latest revenge killing. He used to work for Jacob. His organization will be picked off one by one. You can’t stop me. This goes deeper than Natalia, it’s thirty years in the making. Here is what I want you to do. I want you to get in front of the media and close this investigation, and I will spare Ryan and everyone you care for. If you don’t reconsider, I have just one thing to say to you: CATCH ME IF YOU CAN.

Sincerely,
The Ripper

Director Hawthorne stepped through the office doorway.

“You’re going to do what he says, Pollack,” he said, startling Ryan and Kieran.

Kieran turned around and stared angrily at the man.

“No, I'm not. This case doesn’t need any more publicity for the bastard,” Kieran said.

“Too late. It’s already been scheduled for three o’clock tomorrow. You’re doing this and that’s final.”

“Why didn’t we have a say on this? Why are we just finding out now?” Ryan asked.

Hawthorne didn’t answer and walked out of the office. “Remember Pollack! Three o’clock!” he yelled.

***

In his hotel room, Alexei poured himself a Stoli on the rocks. Wolf Blitzer, reporter for CNN reported the news he wanted to hear.

“Breaking news from Chicago: The FBI will hold a press conference tomorrow at three o’clock. This will pertain to ‘The Ripper Murders.’ Fielding questions will be Director Alexander Hawthorne and Agent-in-charge Kieran Pollack. The press conference will take place on the steps of the Federal Building.”

“CNN. I'm impressed Kieran. Too bad I lied to you. After I'm done with Jacob, I will destroy everything you love,” Alexei said, taking a sip of his drink.

***

At their safe house, Jacob and Louis watched Wolf Blitzer’s report. Jacob took a swig of his bourbon, but spewed it out at the mention of Alexander Hawthorne.

“That old coot is leading an FBI Field Office?” Jacob exclaimed.

“What should we do boss?” Louis asked.

“Kill him! Poitr had him kill my father and I want revenge.” Jacob said, his anger rising.

“What do I do with this Agent Pollack?”

“Leave him for Alexei to deal with. We’ll take of him later.” Jacob said.

“How do you want Hawthorne to die?”

Jacob finished his glass and poured another and took a sip. He turned to Louis with an evil grin. “Still know how to use that rifle of yours?”

Louis returned the sinister smile and left the room.

Jacob raised his glass and said to no one in particular, “Soon Alexei, soon.”

***

The next afternoon at the Federal Building, Kieran and Hawthorne were walking towards the podium outside. Kieran was still trying to get Hawthorne to cancel the press conference, to no avail.

“Goddammit Pollack!” Hawthorne roared. He turned to Kieran and said, “This will happen, you understand me?”

“Yes sir,” Kieran said.

“Where the hell is Vincenzo?”

“Right here, sir. What’s up?” Ryan asked walking over.

“Is the press ready?” Hawthorne asked.

“Yes sir, but—“

“No buts Vincenzo. Just stay out of my way.” He pushed Ryan aside, and went outside.

“I have a really bad feeling about this,” Kieran said prophetically.

***

At the beginning of the press conference, Hawthorne fielded the barrage of questions. Kieran’s gut warned him something was going to happen. He looked into the audience for something amiss. Suddenly someone in the crowd caught his eye.

“Alexei!” he thought.

Just as he was about to act on his suspicions Hawthorne grabbed his attention.

“What?” Kieran asked, quietly.

“It’s your turn to answer the media’s questions,” Hawthorne said. As Kieran walked up to the podium, Hawthorne grabbed his arm, “I don’t know what has you so distracted, but get your head out of your ass.” Kieran nodded and walked up to the microphones. He looked into the audience.

Alexei was gone.

“My name is Agent Kieran Pollack, I'm the Agent-in-charge of ‘The Ripper Investigation.’ I’ll try to give you as many answers as I can.”

“Agent Pollack,” a reporter said, “When did the FBI get wind that there was a serial killer?”

“Officially, the case started with the murder of Annabelle Sorenson,” Kieran said, “Unofficially, we got wind of The Ripper with the murder of Melissa Abernathy.”

“The woman who was found in the cornfield earlier this summer?” the reporter asked.

“Yes, the case is still ongoing so I can’t give out any more details.” Kieran answered.

Another voice rang out, “Does the FBI have any ideas on his motivations for the murders?”

“That’s difficult to say right now,” Kieran said, choosing his words carefully, “He has a varied modus operandi. His victims are all over the place. It’s very difficult to map his motivations.”

“But you speculate something?” the reporter asked.

“Again we have many theories. Next question.”

“So far, so good,” Ryan thought.

“What are your thoughts on the killer?” a voice from the back said.

“The Ripper may be cunning and creative, but the man is a coward. He sends silly taunts to the police and thinks it will scare us off. It’s sort of childish.”

“Shit. Spoke too soon. Kieran what the hell are you doing?” Ryan thought.

Suddenly, a clamoring in the crowd drew everyone’s attention.

Kieran looked out into the crowd.

Smiling back at him was Alexei.

Kieran bolted from the podium, and rushed towards him.

“Pollack!”

“Kieran!” Hawthorne and Ryan yelled.

BANG!

Ryan and Kieran watched in horror as Hawthorne’s head exploded from the impact of a sniper’s bullet.

500 yards away Louis smiled and dismantled his gun.

“Mission accomplished,” he said.

***

Jacob watched the press conference on TV to see Hawthorne’s head explode. He laughed at the expression on his estranged son’s face. That was when the camera panned to the audience. He poured a congratulatory drink and gulped it down then poured himself another. He watched the next scene unfold with fascination between Alexei and a man whom he had learned through the questioning, was Kieran.

***

At the press junket screams erupted from the audience. People fled. Others threw their bodies down to the ground, hoping the sniper didn’t start picking them off. Cop sirens blared. Slow motion.

“Kieran, watch out!” Ryan screamed.

Too late.

A man in mirrored Aviator sunglasses snuck up behind and whispered in Kieran’s ear, “Hello Kieran.”

Kieran turned to face the man.

“Alexei!”

“Ah, you know my name. Too bad you have to die.” Alexei said with an evil smile.

“You have balls showing up here, you know that?”

“Ha! And you have the balls to call me a coward. You dare take me as just a silly, childish killer?” Alexei roared.

He pulled out a knife.

Before Kieran could pull out his gun to shoot the man, Alexei stabbed him in the abdomen.

“Goodbye Kieran,” Alexei said, walking away.

Kieran felt the searing pain and watched in horrified fascination at the blood seeping out onto his shirt before collapsing from the shock.

“Kieran! Hold on babe! Help is on the way,” Ryan pleaded, running towards his fallen partner. He fell to his knees and grabbed Kieran’s head to keep him from losing consciousness.

“Kieran…Kieran? Listen to me,” Ryan said. Kieran moaned. “Kier, stay with me. Please keep your eyes open, baby. You’re going to be ok. Just stay with me, can you talk?” Ryan asked, staring into Kieran’s beautiful, ice-blue eyes.

“Hawthorne?” Kieran asked, weakly.

“Don’t worry about him right now.”

“I saw his head get blown off.”

“Yes babe, he’s dead.”

“You have to find Alexei,” Kieran whispered.

Ryan couldn’t believe it. The Ripper. At the press conference. Kieran saw him. Hawthorne dead. Sniper. Kieran stabbed. His head spun,

“The Ripper was here?” Ryan asked, looking around trying to find anyone resembling the monster.

“It’s why I jumped off the stage. He was in the audience watching us talk about his crimes. He smiled—“

Kieran went silent.

“Kieran?”

Nothing.

“Kieran?”

Nothing.

“No, no, no. Kieran? Come on wake up! Stay with me. You understand me? Don’t die on me, please!”

Kieran stirred when the paramedics arrived to assess the situation.

“You need to step back sir,” one of the paramedics said.

“No! I'm not leaving him.”

“You’re in our way. We can save him, but you have to step back,” the medic said.

“What? Where are you taking him?”

“We have to get him into the truck, but we need you to release him, Ok? You can come with if you have to,” the other medic said.

“I'm coming with you. He’s my partner. He needs me.” Ryan said.

***

Ryan cried as he watched as one of the medics tried to save Kieran’s life. He prayed and held Kieran’s hand. Kieran squeezed.

Ryan looked up to see him smiling wanly.

“Ry, listen to me babe. I love you,” Kieran said.

“I love you too. You’re going to live, you hear me?” Ryan smiled sadly and wiped his tears.

“Ry, listen to me. This is important, ok? If I die you have to do something for me.” Kieran said, wiping tears off Ryan’s face.

Ryan kissed Kieran’s fingers. The medic smiled slightly at the interaction between the two lovers.

“You’re not going to die, but what do I need to do?”

“I need you to catch Alexei. Can you do that? Kill him if you have to.” Kieran said. Before slipping into unconsciousness, he said, “I love you, Ry.”

“I love you too, Kier.”

Alarms blared.

Kieran’s vitals were crashing.

“Kier? Kier? What’s going on?” Ryan asked, panic-stricken.

“SHIT! His vitals have crashed,” the medic said, trying to revive him.

“You have to save him!” Ryan screamed.

Ryan closed his eyes and prayed aloud while holding Kieran’s hand, “Please God, if you can hear me, let him live. I love this man so much. I need him. I’ll do anything. Just don’t let him die.”

Cliffhanger. The next chapter takes place at the hospital and a new character is introduced.
2014 Reese Simms; All Rights Reserved
  • Like 6
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Omg, dude, you can't kill Kieran!!!!

 

Damn, what a cliffie. lol

 

This is such a good story, Tony. Can't wait for the next chapter. :)

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..