Jump to content
    arsimms
  • Author
  • 2,785 Words
  • 1,228 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

For Richer or For Poorer - 4. Chapter 4 - The Triumphant Return of Ryan Vincenzo

Davis is in jail, and Michael makes a call to someone from his past. Will the mysterious man help or will he decline and stay hidden? And when the FBI gets involved will Davis be exonerated?
WARNING!!! This chapter has vivid description of how the victims were murdered. Be advised. Also some strong language use.
Michael Alexander was doing 80 MPH on his way from Chicago to Milwaukee. After receiving a panicked phone call from his son about being charged with murder, he frantically made a call to a man who Davis hadn’t seen in twelve years. He called the law office of Ryan Vincenzo and after being patched in by his secretary he heard the man whose life he saved all those years ago.
 
“Hello?
 
“Hello Ryan? This is Michael Alexander. I need your help.”
 
“This is Ryan, what’s up Michael?” the man said wondering why his ex-best friend’s father was calling him and why this was so urgent.
 
“Ryan, Davis is being charged with rape and murder and I need you to break your self-exile to help save him. I know he’s innocent.”
 
Ryan took a sharp intake of breath at the sound of Davis’ name and said, “I want nothing to do with that family and you know it.”
 
Michael expected this, “Listen Ry, Davis is different than that asshole he calls a father. I’m pretty sure Jacob Caldwell is behind Davis being in jail right now.”
 
After a pregnant pause Ryan sighed, “Alright I’ll do it for Davis. Are you sure he is a good kid? I mean that family is just evil.”
 
The mention of Jacob Caldwell gave him the shudders.
 
Michael hoped he was doing the right thing, “He wouldn't be around or dating my son if I believed he was the same as Jacob or Natalia Caldwell, not to mention Jason.”
 
At the confession that Davis was gay and needed help he agreed, “I’m in, where is he being held? Where are you?”
 
“Davis is being held in Milwaukee by a Detective Dino Czorniak. You know him?”
 
At the mention of Czorniak’s name, Ryan’s curiosity and anger began to peak, “Czorniak? I can’t believe that bastard is a cop, let alone a detective. What the hell is that bastard Jacob pulling here? Why is Davis in Milwaukee?”
 
“Davis and Bryce go to Marquette. How do Jacob and Czorniak know each other?”
 
Ryan sighed, “Let’s just say that we grew up together but as we got older he became a thug. When Jacob kicked me out, he had good ol’ Dino kick the crap out of me! I am pretty he was hired to kill me. I should have pressed charges on him back then. Remember what I looked like when I came to you for help?”
 
Indeed, Michael did remember Ryan’s appearance and state of mind that fateful day he left the Caldwell mansion for good and said as much. Ryan would have died if he hadn't called Michael that night.After the formalities Michael gave Ryan the rundown on what Davis was dealing with.
 
After hanging up, Ryan began to wonder if exiling himself from his brothers was such a good thing.
 
‘What the hell is your endgame, Jacob?’ he thought to himself.
 
The knock on the door brought him out of his thoughts. “Come in!”
 
In walked his boyfriend of four years, Kieran. “Hey babe, what’s going on? What's wrong?” he asked noticing the troubled look on his boyfriend’s beautiful face.
 
The concerned look on that beautiful face made his heart swoon. Kieran could have been a model. His 6’4" 240 lb. and a rugby body, blond hair and piercing ice blue eyes that made all the guys want to be him and all the girls and gay men want to bed him. ‘Too bad ladies’ he chuckled to himself. This could have made him conceited, but he was the most compassionate person on Earth. He wasn’t naive though, he had street and book smarts. That worked well with his job as an FBI Special Agent with the Chicago Field Office.
 
“Hey sorry, it’s Davis, my brother. He’s being accused of murder by my father.”
 
“What? Why?”
 
“Davis is gay. You know my father; he'll do anything to ruin people’s lives. I’m going to Milwaukee to represent him,” he began to give him a rundown on the phone call he received from Michael.
 
“Is that a good idea?” Kieran voiced his concern.
 
“What do you mean ‘Is that a good idea?’ ” Ryan said with some edge to his voice.
 
“Well, you haven’t seen him in what, twelve years? How will he react to you all the sudden showing up?”
 
Ryan sighed, “I know what you’re saying, but he is my brother. Jacob is personally trying to destroy his life, just like he did mine. It is time to put that asshole, Jacob Caldwell in his rightful place: In hell.”
 
“Well I’m coming with you. I am helping Kenosha and Milwaukee police departments with this murder and possible serial killer angle.”
 
Ryan looked at his FBI boyfriend quizzically, “Serial killer?”
 
“Yeah the case of a woman, Melissa I think her name is, she was found in a Kenosha County cornfield, and other women have been found in farmlands and cities all around Lake Michigan in both Illinois and Wisconsin. These murders have similar MOs and have been popping up in the last few months.”
 
“Melissa? Melissa Abernathy?” Ryan’s curiosity was peaked further by the information.
 
“Yea? How did you know? What’s going on?”
 
“Davis is in jail for her murder. From what Michael just told me he is in there for her rape too. If he is truly gay like he said he is being framed.”
 
Kieran knew the urgency now and said, “Let’s go solve this case then and save your brother.”
 
‘Serial killer? Rape? Czorniak? What the hell is that bastard up to? This feels like more than just a frame-up because Davis is gay.’ Ryan thought. Kieran was having similar thoughts.
 
***
 
Davis looked up at the ceiling of his dank jail cell, wondering what the hell was happening and thinking about Bryce. The kiss with Bryce was all that was keeping him from falling apart emotionally.
 
“Caldwell?” said a voice breaking the cold silence. The cell door opened.
 
“Yes sir?” he asked the cop that handcuffed him at the hospital.
 
“Come with me, the detective is ready for you,” Officer Meyers said with a cold smile.
 
Colin Meyers was a very insensitive man. He hated gays. He believed they should be rounded up and put to death. Just looking at Davis made him want to throw up. To Davis, the man’s 6’5”, 255 lb. frame was extremely intimidating and terrified the young man even more.
 
When they entered the interrogation room, the first thing that hit Davis was the sickening smell of ammonia. He looked and saw Detective Dino Czorniak staring at him with an unnervingly evil glare.
 
“Sit down maggot,” he growled.
 
Meyers pushed him into the seat and handcuffed him to the table, “Now answer our questions and we won’t hurt you…much,” Meyers said sinisterly.
 
Davis swallowed becoming even more terrified at his predicament. “I’m not answering anything until my lawyer shows up, “he said taking James’ advice at the hospital.
 
“Faggots like you don’t deserve a lawyer,” Czorniak said.
 
At this moment the door swung open. The two cops jumped up at the intruder walking in with a briefcase. “Who the hell are you?” Dino yelled, going red in the face.
 
“I’m hurt Dino, you don’t remember me? Maybe Ryan Caldwell rings a bell?”
 
At the sound of the name of his older brother, Davis looked up at the man. He was gorgeous. 6’5” maybe 245 lbs. with a definite football build. Brown hair and green eyes finished off his look. There was the brother he thought died twelve year ago.
 
“Ryan?” he croaked out in shock.
 
“In the flesh little brother,” Ryan said flashing a dazzling smile.
 
“What are you doing here; you’re supposed to be dead!” Dino said in shocked anger.
 
“Well I’m alive and well no thanks to you. I’m defending my brother’s innocence, Dino. Something you or your thug bodyguard knows nothing about,” he countered.
 
Colin went to grab Ryan but stopped with the look Dino gave him.
 
“Don’t push me Caldwell; you won’t be so lucky next time.”
 
“Vincenzo.”
 
“What?”
 
“My last name is Vincenzo. I got it changed legally to escape that asshole Jacob. What are you doing Czorniak? You doing his dirty work still?” then turning to Meyers, he said, “And you, how the hell did you get roped into this?”
 
“That’s none of your fucking business, now get the hell out. I have an interview to do. Stop wasting my time.”
 
“No,” Ryan said indignantly
 
“What!”? Dino yelled in anger, “What do you mean no?”
 
“I mean that Davis asked for a lawyer, I’m here. Any questions you have for him will have to be approved by me,” Ryan said smugly.
 
“Fine!” Dino huffed angrily.
 
***
 
Special Agent Kieran Pollack and Detectives Walsh and Callando walked into the Kenosha Country Coroner’s Office.
 
“What can I do for you detectives? Agent Pollack?” said Medical Examiner Melinda Harris when Kieran showed his badge.
 
“We’re here to investigate the murder of Melissa Abernathy as well as the body of the woman that came in last night,” Kieran said to the beautiful black woman standing before them. If he wasn’t gay and happily in love with Ryan he’d date her.
 
“Absolutely Agent Pollack,” she said pulling the sheet off the table before her.
 
“Kieran…call me Kieran,” he said then turned his attention to the bodies of two women on the slabs and frowned, “What do we have Doctor?”
 
“Melinda…call me Melinda,” she smiled then said when she turned her attention to the bodies, “What we have are two different killers, this one was extremely angry," she said, pointing to Melissa, "and this one, her wounds are much more methodical,” she said as Pollack was looking at their newest victim.
 
‘Two killers? Fuck!’ he swore to himself.
 
“Methodical? What do you mean?” Devin piped up also digesting the news.
 
“Well your Jane Doe’s stab wounds were cleaner, less rushed, and took much more patience. I should also mention that she didn’t die of the stab wounds, she was strangled,” she paused, letting the latest news sink in before continuing with Melissa, “Now this poor girl, her death was the cut across her throat but any of these injuries would have killed her, especially the injuries done to her vaginal cavity.
 
She also suffered skull fractures, broken ribs, arm, sternum, spinal injuries, broken teeth, and blunt force trauma all over her body. Whoever did this was a sadistic bastard,” she concluded angrily.
 
“Did you run the rape kit yourself?” Kieran asked surprising everyone.
 
“No. Why do you ask Kieran?” she asked with interest.
 
“Because the evidence that was collected may have been tampered with. The kid that is under suspicion doesn’t match the profile of a violent monster. Quite the opposite actually.”
 
“I collected it, but an independent lab in Milwaukee ran it along with blood and tissue samples. Hold on a second, let me give you the results.”
 
After reading them for a second, a strange look came across the woman’s face. Katherine saw this look and spoke up for the first time. “Melinda, what’s up? What do they say?”
 
“The blood and tissue sample don’t match the rape kit sent in. What’s strange is their DNA profiles are familial. A father or a brother most likely.”
 
“Thank you doc,” Kieran ran out to call Ryan with the news.
 
***
 
Dino began to get extremely angry with Ryan for continuously telling Davis to not answer each subsequent question and finally snapped, “Mr. Vincenzo! I demand for you to shut up and tell your worthless client to answer my questions!” he demanded about to explode.
 
“Make up your mind Dino. Which one?” Ryan asked smart-alecky.
 
“What?” Dino stewed.
 
“Which do you want me to do? Shut up or tell him to answer?” Ryan said fully knowing which one.
 
“You damn well know which one!”
 
“Sorry no can do. He has rights, I bet he wasn’t even Mirandized.” Davis hadn't been, they hadn't planned to do so. They planned on killing him on his way to prison.
 
“You son of a bit–“Dino started to say, but was interrupted by Ryan’s cell phone.
 
“Turn that fucking pho–“He was interrupted again by Ryan telling him it was the FBI. Dino became nervous at the prospect of .the FBI investigating.
 
“Hey Kieran, what you got?” he asked his boyfriend.
 
He sat silently listening to the news from the coroner. When Kieran told him the test results and the ‘multiple killers’ revelation, his mood darkened.
 
‘What the hell is Jacob up to? And who the hell is our other killer?’ he thought.
 
“Are you sure Kier?” he asked using his pet name for the man he loved.
 
After Kieran told him that the results were double checked and he was absolutely sure, he said, “Alright hit me up when you have more news, OK?”
 
After hanging up he turned to the detectives and said coldly, “This interview is over gentleman, it has been fun. Release him now!”
 
“What? Hell no, he’s going nowhere.” Dino said both nervously and furiously.
 
“Oh yes he is, because if I have to get your commissioner on the phone and tell him my client hasn’t been Mirandized you’ll lose your job. Not that that's a bad thing, Dino. Plus he’s innocent, I have proof.”
 
“Proof?”! Colin said angrily, “What proof?”
 
After telling both of the cops of what Kieran told him, he demanded Davis’ release after more threats,
 
Dino folded begrudgingly but said coldly, “This isn’t the last you’ve seen of me Vincenzo, mark my word!”
 
“I wouldn’t dream of it, Dino. Until next time boys, good luck telling Jacob about this debacle.”
 
Davis wondered to himself, ‘What is Dad up to with these scumbags? but he stayed silent.
 
Dino and Colin swallowed at the mention of Jacob's name. Ryan noticed the nervousness that radiated from the detectives.
 
***
 
When Davis and Ryan exited, Davis was smiling. He turned to his brother and said, “Thank you, Ry.”
 
“No problem little brother,” he said ruffling Davis’ hair
 
When Bryce saw Davis he ran to him and pulled him into a bone-crushing hug and gave him an earth-shattering kiss in front of Ryan, James and Michael. Davis and Bryce blushed embarrassed at being seen, but quickly passed at the smiles of the three men.
 
“God Davis, I love you,” he said kissing him again.
 
“I love you too,” he answered returning the kiss.
 
Ryan turned to James and said, “Jimmy my friend, I am so sorry for disappearing –“, but was quickly interrupted.
 
“Bro, don’t sweat it. Dad told me what happened. I missed you Ry.” James interrupted, ecstatic that his best friend was alive and hugged him tight.
 
“I missed you too, Jimmy,” Ryan said returning the hug.
 
After a few seconds he broke the hug and turned to Michael, “There’s more going on here than the death of that woman, there’s a serial killer connection," he said.
 
Michael stiffened at the turn of events as they were explained and James became immediately concerned for Ryan and his brothers’ safety.
 
“Enough with the depressing shit, let’s celebrate! I’m hungry.” Davis said as his stomach growled.
 
Everyone chuckled at the confession and left the station heading to the best Italian restaurant Milwaukee has.
 
***
 
Meanwhile in Chicago, Jacob was fuming at the unfortunate turn of events.
 
After yelling at Dino for not killing Ryan twelve years ago and not putting Davis away for life, he slammed the phone on the ground snapping it in half. He grabbed the vodka and chugged half the bottle. Then he stood up and swore loudly, “Mark my words Ryan, when I am done with you, you’ll wish you died back then.” He then picked up a picture of Michael, pinned it to a wall, and threw a butterfly knife, hitting the picture square in Michael’s face and said evilly, “You’ll get yours too, Michael, don’t you worry.”
 
Then he walked out to take some frustration out on his wife.
Two killers? Oh my! And what do you think of Davis' brother returning and becoming his guardian angel? And what is Jacob's issues with Michael? More on Ryan and Kieran in the next installment and a serial killer is born.
2014 Reese Simms; All Rights Reserved
  • Like 7
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Ah, I'm glad you changed Madeline to Melinda. lol I read this last night and I was like, what? I thought the ME's name was Madeline. I happen to like Melinda better b/c that's my sister's name. Funny, my mom thought she made that name up. haha

 

So there was another Caldwell. Thank God Ryan escaped! I'm glad his father's dirty cop goons didn't intimidate him. They should definitely get in trouble for not reading Davis his rights.

 

Why does Jacob have a beef with Michael? B/c Michael is successful and Jacob isn't?

 

Can't wait for the next chapter, Tony! :)

Link to comment
On 04/22/2014 12:33 AM, Lisa said:
Ah, I'm glad you changed Madeline to Melinda. lol I read this last night and I was like, what? I thought the ME's name was Madeline. I happen to like Melinda better b/c that's my sister's name. Funny, my mom thought she made that name up. haha

 

So there was another Caldwell. Thank God Ryan escaped! I'm glad his father's dirty cop goons didn't intimidate him. They should definitely get in trouble for not reading Davis his rights.

 

Why does Jacob have a beef with Michael? B/c Michael is successful and Jacob isn't?

 

Can't wait for the next chapter, Tony! :)

in making these scumbags even more corrupt, i ws making them out as not caring for upholding the law and were not only to arrest him but they mayor may not been hired to kill Davis while he was in jail. Possibly make it as a suicide for extra guiltiness.

 

Ryan and Kieran are slowly becoming my favorite characters in the story.

 

I didn't even realize the Madeline/Melinda screwup i will fix that

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..