Jump to content
    astroguy
  • Author
  • 1,004 Words
  • 1,340 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Learning a New Life - 2. Chapter 2

I was still holding the diamond and the chain was beginning to cut into the back of my neck. The discomfort caused me to let go, and I felt the cold metal setting rest back on my chest. I couldn't see them anymore. I knew one day I might again, but I also knew that what Corther said was true: The jinni I had turned that scum into lacked the ability to give me back my world. Well, their world. All the magic essence he had gathered before had been used to fuel his transformation and entrapment.

I looked away from the trees and back to him ... him. I'd need to give him a name. "Slave" just seemed medieval. "You" was just stupid. "Jinni" was a creature type and not a name. It would be like calling Corther "Elf."

He was definitely nicer looking than he had been when he tried to raid the Glen. Or even when he came back out of the diamond after his initial transformation. I remember reading in the stories that the jinni when first summoned will take on a form that is pleasing to their master, but I wasn't sure if that was part of the myth or truth. Corther would never answer those kinds of questions and so I gave up trying years ago. I also wasn't sure if the jinni realized that his form had changed, that he looked ... okay, stop oggling the help.

But he's staring at me expectantly like one of the hunting dog's puppies.

"I need to have something to call you. Are you sure you don't remember your name?"

The jinni looked quizzical for a few moments and again responded, "No, Master."

Of course he wouldn't. Fine. "Okay, from now on your name is ... Nate. Yeah, we'll go with 'Nate.'"

"Yes, Master."

"And stop calling me that!"

"Yes, Mas--, err ... no, Mas--"

I looked at him in exasperation. I was not five minutes into owning a newly turned jinni and set on my own and I'd already confused him. "Call me 'Michael.' Unless I specifically tell you otherwise, you are *never* to call me 'Master,' only 'Michael.'"

"Yes, Michael."

I sighed. One problem out of the way. Next step ... I'm in the middle of the woods and cut off from those who raised me and I'm supposed to go make a living in the human world. My world. Even though it has never been my world. I'm 18 years old without any currency to use to do anything. What the hell were they thinking?!

Oh, right. "Nate. Is there a house in the city that nobody owns?"

The jinni's expression went blank for a brief moment before he replied, "No, Michael."

"Fine. Just transport us to a decent house that's for sale and unoccupied. Somewhere on the outskirts of the city but not too far from town."

"Your wish is my command, Michael," the jinni replied as he clapped his hands.

It really was impressive magic. My own transportation spells were somewhat uncomfortable and took noticeable time, but the jinni's magic was a completely different kind, or at least different flavor. He brought us there instantaneously -- one moment I was looking at him against a backdrop of trees, and the next it was against an unfurnished living room. I looked around a bit and then went outside to look at the FOR SALE sign.

"Nate, can you create any kind of cash for me?"

"Simple manifestations of wealth are within my abilities," he replied, seeming to be reading from something rather than responding in a natural voice.

"I need a cashier's check with $500,000." That would give me enough to buy the house outright. Actually ... "Nate, can you get the house transferred to me, depositing the asking price into the account of the owner and get all that legal stuff taken care of?"

"No, Michael, that is beyond my abilities."

"What if I say, 'I wish,' before that?"

The jinni looked pained as he clapped his hands together and what seemed to be an electric shock reverberated through him. Somewhat out of breath and with a pained expression, he repeated, "No, Michael, that is beyond my abilities."

Sigh. The pseudo-old-fashioned way it is, then. I could have just taken the house and made the owner forget they ever had it. But that would break too many threads, leave too many loose ends that may attract unwanted attention. I may have trapped a semi-powerful warlock, but it had taken a lot of energy and I was prepared for it.

"Alright, get me the check. I'll go to the bank and deal with this on my own."

"Yes, Michael." Nate clapped and the check appeared in my hand.

I tapped the diamond in three locations in order, and Nate disappeared.

* * * * *

What the hell was that!? One moment I was standing outside with my master, and the next I'm back in this ... enclosure. At least I'm not naked this time. In fact, I don't look that worse for the wear. I don't remember putting on shoes, or putting on tight jeans. I also don't remember my ass sticking out quite that far. Definition on my chest? Woah! Were my nipples always pierced? Part of me was panicking, part of me was saying I had no memory of anything else so this shouldn't seem weird. And part of me, a growing part of me, said that my master is my master and nothing else matters.

I was standing this time in this -- wherever this is -- and again I see that spot of something. So I started to walk. And walk. After what seemed like forever I saw a simple desk. There was a chair in front of it and a large book sitting on it. I looked down at the book. Embossed on the cover was the title: "So You've Become a Jinni: Welcome to Your First Day of Forever."

Copyright © 2011 astroguy; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 04/29/2011 07:34 AM, Foster said:
Okay, I admit I love outlandish fantasy. So you are stuck with me here.
"Outlandish?" Hmm ... not sure if that's a good thing. ;)
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..