Jump to content
    astroguy
  • Author
  • 1,160 Words
  • 1,764 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Learning a New Life - 1. Chapter 1

Blank. Well, perhaps shadows flitting about, but in a blank canvas so empty it's not even black. That's when he tried to remember where he was, how he got there, and who he was. All he knew was he was falling through a long, narrow passageway and then landed on something soft. Catching his breath and propping himself up on his elbows, he looked down at the cushioned surface but could not tell what it was. He looked around and saw he was in a broad enclosure, large enough that he could not estimate its size, and lit by a source he could not see. He saw nothing in the enclosure, except that when squinting he saw a speck of ... something.

He stood up and brushed himself off, even though there was nothing to remove. It was then he noticed he was wearing nothing. That should have surprised him, but his mind wasn't sure if it should be surprising or not. He began to walk towards the object he spied in the distance when he felt a sudden pressure on his stomach. He impulsively clutched his midsection but his hands went through nothing. He looked down in rapidly growing fear to see his legs, hips, and lower torso gone, and his chest and arms rapidly fading away in a barely visible steam-like smoke. The trail leading to his now disappearing neck was going up towards the top of the enclosure.
 
His final thoughts before everything disappeared were that he was dead.
 
Except he wasn't. In what seemed like only a moment, he was standing in a clearing outdoors, surrounded by tall, very old looking trees. He saw a young man - a "teenager" the term came to him - standing next to an older man. This older man was holding a pendant with a very large, clear diamond set on a platinum chain. He heard a faint rustling and perceived shapes of more people in the trees behind the two standing in front of him.
 
The older man looked at him and asked, "Do you know who you are?"
 
He thought hard, but other than the faintest of shadows tickling the far reaches of his mind, nothing came to the front. "No?"
 
The older man looked at the teenager and patted him on the shoulder. "Very, very impressive. Your guides must be very strong for such a total conversion." The teenager was smiling as he looked to the older man. Obviously the praise was welcomed. "Here is the stone. You must finish the binding to make the spell complete."
 
The teen grasped the pendant handed to him and draped the chain over his head to rest around his neck. The diamond rested squarely in the center of his lean chest. When it did, the man suddenly felt a complete sense of belonging, except, it was more than that. It was a sense of ownership. He closed his eyes and sighed as the teenager closed his own eyes and grasped the pendant with both hands and murmured several words while in deep concentration. To those rustles around the clearing and the old man, the diamond began to emit a bright light that crept through the teenager's fingers until it enveloped both him and the naked man. Several moments went by as the light increased in intensity until it should have blinded those present, had they been mortal humans. And then it disappeared.
 
"Master, your wish is my command." The words came unbidden from the man's mouth as he looked down on the teenager. «No, "teenager," "man," "boy," ... these were not the right terms. He is my master,» he thought. If he hadn't been so wrapped in trying to figure out the right term, or where the words had come from, he might have realized that he was now taller than his master when before he had been the same height; there were some other changes, as well.
 
The teen looked at the older man and asked, "Is he going to always call me that?"
 
The old man laughed, "Not if you tell him not to. But that's the default. You've read the myths, stories, and religious texts in the library as part of your training. Remember what you were taught: While the human world made up quite a bit and there's a lot of embellishment - and some outright fiction - there are grains of truth and knowledge that you must take to heart. The jinni must serve their master until set free or their container passes to a new master. Since you trapped the warlock in your spell and cast him into the smokeless fire, you are his master. Congratulations, Michael. Do with him as you see fit."
 
«Michael, my master's name is 'Michael,'» he thought.
 
"And he really won't remember *anything* about life before this?"
 
"In some conversions, they will remember their former lives, but of course they are still bound to their master and must obey them. Some teach that method as a way of punishment."
 
"But isn't being a bound jinni punishment enough? I know what he did before, and you know, and he still has to obey us."
 
The old man smiled faintly. "That is why we only practice complete conversions. It seems you have learned well."
 
"Only because you have been my teacher."
 
"If I'd been a good teacher, you would know that flattery will get you nowhere. You are at the time you must leave us and I am getting too old to have time for adulation. You're the only human we have ever taken in since the races were separated millennia ago. You've lived with us now for seventeen years, and now you must integrate yourself into society with your own kind."
 
"But, I thought--"
 
"No. Even now the Glen is closing and you will not be able to access it. It's time for you to go and help this world and make a life for yourself."
 
"But I can use the jinni--"
 
The old man laughed. "Michael, you can try it, but the jinni is young and not yet that powerful. You were prepared for this and you knew it was coming. Goodbye ..." As the man said his last words he began retreating back into the trees and, try as he would, Michael could not see him once he hit the tree line.
 
A tear ran down his face, and there was silence in the clearing. To an outside observer, there was a young boy, standing straight, looking to his side in sorrow. His feet were dressed in soft leather while he wore leggings made of cotton. An open tunic adorned his torso while around his neck was a silvery chain attached to a large diamond resting on his chest. An outside observer could see nothing else.
I know, it has started a bit slow, but I swear this has been condensed already. Getting in setting, some backstory, and a little characterization without being too incredibly explicit takes some space!

This story is mostly about Michael but also the jinni (to be named in Chapter 2). Please provide any constructive suggestions or comments, or even potential plot ideas using the review system or <a href="http://www.gayauthors.org/forums/topic/31960-learning-a-new-life-by-astroguy/">posting to the discussion thread</a>. I do have an idea of where this is headed (and have several more chapters written), but it is not completely mapped out yet.

Copyright © 2011 astroguy; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I found this charming even though I was confused a little, but still I found it worth reading further. Good Luck Astroguy!

Link to comment
On 04/28/2011 05:34 PM, Foster said:
I found this charming even though I was confused a little, but still I found it worth reading further. Good Luck Astroguy!
After talking with you last night in chat, I agree with you upon re-reading that it focuses a lot on the secondary of the two main characters, opening from his point of view. But, I did that in order to limit the amount of information you have to start with in order to not go through pages of exposition. Do you have a suggestion on how I could accomplish that without it being confusing?
Link to comment

I'm sorry, but I agree with Sam that I was a little confused as well. But probably it's because this is the start and I've no idea what your 'world' is like. Thanks for sharing.

Link to comment
On 04/29/2011 05:49 PM, jian_sierra said:
I'm sorry, but I agree with Sam that I was a little confused as well. But probably it's because this is the start and I've no idea what your 'world' is like. Thanks for sharing.
I think a lesson for me here is that when I re-read something before posting it and it raises an eyebrow but I continue on, I need to stop and re-work it.
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..