Jump to content
    BDANR
  • Author
  • 1,874 Words
  • 976 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Jason - 3. Part 4: Leroy Hates Gym

It’s no secret: Leroy hates most physical activity. Going on hikes. Bike rides through the neighborhood. Walking. Leroy has a phobia towards the outdoors and pretty much anything that involves him doing something that will make him sweat. Leroy, Jace, and I have P.E. during first period. Jace used to think Leroy was cute because of his “innocence.” But he would deny his attraction after Leroy said the arts were for sissies.

“I’ll show him a sissy,” Jace said as we entered the locker rooms. “Here’s the plan, you distract him, and I’ll ram into him in the gut. Doesn’t matter the sport. Basketball, baseball, or hockey, he’s going down man!” Jace sure gets scary when he’s mad.

“He shouldn’t have said that Jace,” I said, “but chill out. He was high!”

“Oh please. I’m high all the time, but you don’t see me being a jackass!” Great. Now with these two fighting and Felix probably hating my guts, everybody in this group wants each other's blood. I hope Isabel is enjoying the peace of not having to deal with the bullshit. Jace and I were just getting to our lockers when we saw Leroy.

“Hey Leroy,” I said, “Nice weather out today, huh?”

Leroy closed his locker shut with angry force. “Don’t try to make me feel better, Jason, I know we have P.E. right now and I’m not happy about it.” Why did he assume I said that to make him feel better? The weather actually feels quite great today. Jace faked cried and mouthed “boo-hoo” while Leroy wasn’t looking.

“I know this isn’t your favorite class,” I said. “But look at the bright side: They always play it easy on the first day of the quarter.”

Leroy’s eyes grew very large when he heard this. With his glasses, all I could see were his iris and pupils.

“You really think they’ll have us do something fun, Jason?”

“On the contrary,” Jace said, “I overheard our teacher mention we’re picking out teams for flag football.”

“WHAT?!” Leroy exclaimed. “Not flag football! This day couldn’t get any worse!” I’d have to side with Leroy on this one. Playing team sports during P.E. sucks! “What do I do?”

“It’s only for thirty minutes,” Jace said, “you’ll live.” Why the hell was Jace being so sassy?

“We’ll get through this, Leroy,” I said. Leroy started groaning and banging his head against the lockers.

Outside, our P.E. teacher Ms. Stone got us through our morning stretches. Jace acted like he was doing pilates and Leroy suffered through every movement. Even the jumping jacks. Next, she split us up so we’d be assigned teams for flag football.

“Leroy,” Ms. Stone called out. “You’ll be on Michael’s team.” Leroy’s head was low as he took his walk of shame to his team. Jace was on the opposing team. I saw him make two fists like he was puffing up for battle.

“And Jason,” she called out again, “You’ll be on Michael’s team as well.” Leroy gave a look of uncertainty my way. Well, that doesn’t make me feel very confident! As I was walking to the end of the row, Jace was staring me down.

“Oh, so you’re picking his side now?” He taunted me.

“Jace, we don’t get to choose our teams!”

“Let’s head onto the field,” Ms. Stone said. While the teams walked forward on the field, not talking about anything pertaining to strategies on how to defeat the opposing team, Leroy and I slowed down to separate from our team members.

“What are we gonna do, Jason?” Leroy asked. “Look at them. They look so...big!” Leroy wasn’t wrong. The other team looked like they ran through their puberty phase and were getting ready to go to college. Then there was Jace.

“At least we’re not playing tackle football,” I said with a shrug.

“Oh, well that makes me feel better,” Leroy scoffed. Damn, I tried to help! You can at least show some gratitude...

 

We all put on our flags and got on the field. Our team was yellow, Jace’s team was red. Jace got in a squatting stance like some sumo wrestler ready to compete.

“Jason,” Leroy whispered. “I think I have a cramp!”

“Alright, let’s go,” Michael called out. Oh shoot, are we starting? He passed the ball to one of his team members, who ran a good few yards down the field. “That’s right, Percy! That’s how you do it!” Maybe if we’re lucky, Percy will keep running for us and Leroy and I won’t have to play at all.

Michael said, “Jason, I’ll pass it to you this time.” Fuck. I pulled a wedgie out of my gym shorts and tried not to be awkward. Leroy was chipping at his nails. Way to have faith in my ability! Jace pointed two of his fingers at his eyes toward mine like a challenge. He’s taking this shit far too seriously.

“Go!” Michael passed the ball to me. My heart was racing. I was juggling with the ball, then it fell onto the grass. “Dammit Jason, come on man.” What a jerk!

I got behind him again to wait for the football. “One more time. Go!” He passed the ball to me. I finally balanced it in my hands and started running for dear life. I couldn’t remember, but I might’ve screamed on the way to the goal. Before I knew it, I had reached the goal and my team went wild.

“There we go, Jason,” Michael said. “That’s the way to play!” That wasn’t what you were saying five seconds ago!

“Beginner’s luck,” Jace taunted me again. “He doesn’t know how to play.” I’m so tired of Jace’s mouth right now...

We played for awhile before Lamont, the leader of the other team, expressed some grievances. “Man, I’m tired of playing with these flags," he said. "Let’s just play without them and do some touch football.” I looked around and noticed Ms. Stone was elsewhere. Does she normally just leave students out on the field like this? We all disposed of our flags.

“Oh my God, Jason,” Leroy said with horror.

“What now, Leroy?” I asked.

“...It’s my dad!” It was then I saw Coach Dean training the school’s soccer team on the other side of the field. I haven’t seen Coach Dean and Leroy interact before, but from what Leroy says, it sounds pretty unpleasant.

“Relax. Hopefully, he’ll just be focused on the soccer team instead of our stupid game.”

“I sure hope you’re right…”

Michael patted Leroy on the shoulder. “Hey, I’m passing the ball to you next.”

Leroy looked like a deer in the headlights. “WHAT?!”

“Come on.” Michael’s commanding voice had Leroy walking slowly towards the center field. He looked back at me with sad eyes. As we approached center field, I saw Jace in position.

“You think Jace will go easy on me?” Leroy asked. Jace ran a finger through his neck and pointed it at Leroy. Not a chance...

“Just do your best, Leroy,” I said. Coach Dean started watching our game. I didn’t want Leroy to feel more scared than he already was, so I didn’t say anything. As we were getting into position, I realized Leroy’s flags were still on.

“Let’s go!” I heard Leroy take in a large gulp of air as the football was passed to him. He hid it in his armpit and he started running off. Not five yards later, Jace tapped him on the shoulder. At least Jace didn’t “ram him” like he said he would! But Leroy kept going and going, all the way to the end of the field with his flags rippling around his legs. He reached to the goal and he lifted the football in the air in victory.

“Yeah!” he cheered. “Yeah, I made it! Woo!!!” He looked so accomplished, dancing and tripping over himself.

“Hey man,” Lamont said, “we’re playing touch football, remember?” Leroy stopped celebrating and froze in place. He looked at everyone’s waists and realized no one was wearing flags anymore. Oh Leroy, guess he missed the memo...

“Wait, seriously,” he said with disappointment.

“What were you doing out there?” Lo and behold, Coach Dean waltzed into our game unannounced with his hands on his hips. Who invited this guy and who told him that we were playing touch football in the first place!? Shouldn’t he be lecturing us on following our P.E. teacher’s instructions to play flag football?

“Leroy, you need to pay attention. You looked silly out there.”

“But Dad-”

“No excuses, Leroy.”

“Bu - nevermind…” Leroy looked more down than he did when we were in the locker room. Now I understand why Leroy hates most competitive sports and other physical activities. His dad was being super uncool. Everyone silently watched the Coach give his son the third degree until somewhat marched forward. Jace?

“Hey sir,” Jace said, “ease off. Leroy did pretty alright.”

“Alright?” said Coach Dean defiantly. “He only ran five yards! What are you all playing, touch football? Five yards ain’t gonna get you nowhere!”

“We’re actually playing flag football,” Jace responded, “that’s why we were wearing flags. Shouldn’t you know the difference?”

“I uhh…” I was shocked. Jace was talking back to the coach! “J-just keep playing your game!” Coach walked off to focus his attention on his team instead of ours like he was supposed to be doing. Good riddance.

Leroy walked over to Jason. “Wow, thanks for...well, you know.”

Jace smiled at him. “Sure. Isn’t that what friends are for?” Leroy smiled too. Finally, they’re making up!

Jace asked, “How’s that for a sissy?”

Leroy frowned. “Sorry for what I said before. If it makes you feel better, I think you’re pretty cool, Jace.”

Jace blushed. “Aww well, you know-”

“Hey watch out!” Out of nowhere, a football flew over and hit me right in the face, it’s unexpected force taking me to the ground. I hoped I didn’t lose any teeth.

“Jason!” Jace exclaimed, joining me on the ground.

“Are you okay?” asked Leroy. My head was a little fuzzy as I lifted my head from the ground, holding my noggin. Everyone crowded around me. How embarrassing!

“Does he need to see a nurse?” one classmate asked.

“Maybe he’s gotta concussion,” another one said matter-of-factly. Ugh, this is why I hate team sports!

 

Everyone in the group met up during lunch. Felix and Isabel caught wind of my fight with a football.

“Oh no, Jason,” Isabel said. “What did the nurse say?”

“I’m fine,” I said. “Just needed an ice pack to help with the swelling.”

Felix sipped his juice before speaking up. “I thought you got yourself in a fight or something. My guess was the other guy won.” Thanks, Felix…

“Well, if the swelling doesn’t go down,” Leroy said, “at least you won’t have to do P.E. for awhile. Man, I wish that ball would’ve hit me!”

“Mmm, I’m sure you’ll get your wish soon enough,” said Jace unassumingly.

“What do you mean?”

“You’ll see. P.E. sure can be a dangerous class…” Wait a minute, I thought Leroy and Jace made up? Is Jace still trying to exact his revenge?!

Thanks for reading.
Copyright © 2017 BDANR; All Rights Reserved.
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..