Jump to content
    Bill W
  • Author
  • 3,516 Words
  • 3,362 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Castaway Hotel - 9 - 5. Chapter 5 - The Vigil

When Saturday rolled around, I woke Jake and Shannon up, fixed the three of us breakfast and then drove everyone to the hospital. Jake checked in and then we went to radiology and waited until he was called for his CT scan. They did the regular scan first and then another with contrast, which meant they injected a radioactive dye into his bloodstream to make things stand out more, before running the scan again. Once Jake was finished, we went out to the waiting room and sat, while the doctor and the radiologist looked over the results. A little while later, Jake’s doctor came out to speak with us.

“I’m sorry, but I don’t know this young man,” the doctor began, since he was unsure if he should say anything in Shannon’s presence.

“Doctor, this is my son, Shannon,” Jake stated, and then the doctor and Shannon shook hands.

“Well, I have good news for you,” he began. “The scan didn’t reveal the cancer had spread and it looks as if it’s localized on one side of your prostate. This means we can go in and remove it today, if you’re up for that?” Jake nodded, although weakly, and then I asked a question.

“How long will he have to stay here, after the surgery?” I wanted to know.

“Since it will be almost noon before we’re able to do this, I think it would be best if we keep him overnight,” the doctor stated, “for observation.”

“So I’ll be able to take him home in the morning?” I continued, before Shannon could jump in to the conversation.

“As long as there are no complications,” the doctor replied.

Jake agreed to have the procedure done right away, after he asked Shannon and I if we concurred. The doctor had already reserved an operating room, just in case, so everything was set. All we had to do now was have Jake admitted as a patient, which meant there would be a bunch of paperwork to fill out. We all went to the admissions department, while the doctor called ahead to arrange things. Once we got there, we sat down and answered all of the questions the intake specialist asked and Jake was given a hospital I.D. bracelet. The process was tedious, although not painful, but we were all glad when it was over.

Once that was completed, we had to wait about a half hour, before someone came to lead us to the surgical wing. We followed the orderly, as he led us down a maze of corridors, until he finally placed us in a small room. He gave Jake a hospital gown to put on, pointed out a locker where he could keep his personal belongings and told him he could change in the bathroom, if he wanted privacy. He then told Jake he was to wait on the gurney, but he could pull the sheet over him, until someone came to take him to the anesthesiologist.

Jake did as he was instructed and Shannon and I sat and waited with him until he was wheeled away. As they started to leave, I reminded Jake that Shannon and I would stay and be here for him, once the surgery was completed. He only gave us a weak smile in reply, since the shot they gave him before administering the anesthesia was beginning to take effect, and then they disappeared.

Shannon was a nervous wreck while we sat there and kept fidgeting in his chair. He couldn’t get interested in the television program currently playing or in any of the magazines. He jumped every time someone entered the waiting area and it was apparent he was wound tighter than an expectant father.

By the time the doctor came out later, I thought Shannon was about ready to implode. However, he saw the doctor as he approached and shouted out.

“How is he?” The doctor merely grinned, before responding. I guess this wasn’t the first impatient relative he’d had to deal with.

“He’s doing fine and the operation went extremely well,” he stated. “I have no doubt we got all of the cancerous cells and he shouldn’t have any further problems. Your father will get to recovery in just a few minutes and should do nicely, but I do want him to come in every six months for a follow-up exam for a while. I think it’s best we monitor this closely, although I don’t foresee and more problems.” Shannon and I both breathed sighs of relief.

“So he doesn’t have any more cancer,” Shannon pressed.

“None that we found,” the doctor responded.

“When will he be able to go home?” I asked next.

“Unless he suffers some sort of a setback tonight, which I doubt,” the doctor answered, “he should be able to go home tomorrow, after I make my rounds.”

“Thank you, doctor, for everything,” I told him. “By the way, did you go through his abdomen or the perineum?”

“The abdomen,” he replied. “I believed that would be less intrusive in this case and he’ll only have a small scar.”

“How long before he can return to work then?” I followed. “I know Jake will want to know this information, as soon as he comes to.” The doctor asked what type of work Jake did, before he answered, so I told him.

“If he promises not to lift too much, I’ll allow him to return to work on Monday,” the doctor confirmed. “Will that be all right?”

“I’m sure Jake will be satisfied,” I agreed. “I think he was worried he might have to take an unpaid leave.”

“I doubt that will be necessary,” the doctor assured us. “Is there anything else?”

Neither of us seemed to have any more questions, so we thanked the doctor again and then he left. Shannon and I had to continue to wait where we were, until Jake was moved out of recovery and into a room. While we were waiting for this to happen, I turned and spoke to Shannon.

“Are you okay?” I asked, seeing he still seemed to be trembling.

“I think so,” he responded, “it’s just that I was sooooo scared. I was afraid I was going to lose him.”

“I know, so was I,” I admitted, before reaching over and giving Shannon a hug. “I don’t think that will happen now.”

“But will the cancer come back?” Shannon followed.

“That’s always a possibility,” I admitted, “but the doctors are going to require your father to come in for regular checkups, every six months, to make sure that doesn’t happen. They’ll keep a close eye on him, and so will I, so you don’t have to worry.”

“Thank you, Pop,” Shannon replied. “I’m really glad he has you too.”

I continued to hold Shannon as we sat there and slowly began to feel the tension drain from his body. We continued to sit and wait and I had only just released my grip on him when he said he had to get up and go to the toilet. He hadn’t been back for very long before a nurse came in and informed us they were ready to move Jake and we could come along. We followed her out into the hallway and then trailed behind as she and the orderly wheeled Jake to a room. We waited in the hallway until they got Jake situated and then we went in and sat down beside him. He was awake at this point, although still a little groggy.

“How are you feeling?” Shannon asked, as soon as we were close enough for him to speak with his father.

“Okay, just tired,” he responded. “I can hardly keep my eyes open.”

“It’s the anesthesia,” I advised him. “Go to sleep and we’ll wait until you feel better.”

“No, you two go home,” Jake urged. “I’ll probably sleep the rest of the day, so just come back in the morning.”

“No way!” Shannon exclaimed.

“Shannon, what good are you going to do here, if I’m sleeping?” Jake asked.

“I don’t know,” Shannon replied, “but I’m not leaving, unless they make me.”

“Don’t be silly,” Jake challenged. “Josh needs to go home and take care of the others, and you’ve been here long enough. Just go. I’ll be all right.”

“Dad, I’m not leaving,” Shannon insisted. “Pop can go home and take care of the others, but I’m staying here.”

Jake looked perturbed, but he didn’t have the strength to continue to argue, so he just closed his eyes and fell asleep.

“Go ahead, Pop,” Shannon urged. “You can go home and take care of everyone else, but I’m staying put.”

“Let me run out and call them, to see how they’re doing,” I answered, “but I’m sure they can take care of themselves.”

Shannon nodded and I went to use the pay phone. The boys assured me everything was fine at home and told me to stay with Jake. I told them I’d call and order some pizzas and have them delivered and I’d also order one for Shannon and me. Since I was having two delivered at home, the pizza place agreed to deliver the third one to the hospital, as long as I promised to meet the driver in front of the lobby when he arrived.

I went back to Jake’s room and explained everything to Shannon and he seemed pleased I had ordered us something to eat. I told him we’d stay until visiting hours ended and then we’d go home. Reluctantly, he agreed.

I was in the lobby several minutes before the delivery guy showed up, but I gave him a big thank you and a good tip for his effort. I had put the pizzas on my credit card, so I think he was happy and relieved that I remembered doing this for him.

Once I took the pizza back to the room, I went to the vending machines and bought both of us something to drink. Then Shannon and I sat and ate, while watched Jake and occasionally glanced up at the television that was playing in the background. Jake slept most of the evening, as he had warned us, but that didn’t seem to deter his son. Shannon never complained and continued to sit and watch over his father, until we heard the bell that announced visiting hours were ending.

I drove Shannon home and the other boys greeted us as soon as they saw the Yukon pull in the driveway. They had many questions about how Jake was and how we were doing, and we answered each and every one of their queries. The boys seemed satisfied with the information and then I sent them all off to their rooms. I could see Shannon was still troubled and not himself, so I spoke to him, before he went upstairs.

“Look, I know you’re worried and I am too,” I began, “so would you feel better if you slept with me, on your dad’s side of the bed?” His face lit up, as he glanced over at me.

“Yeah, Pop. I’d like that a lot,” he confessed. “I was thinking about asking you if I could do that, because I didn’t want to be alone tonight, but I was afraid you’d think I was just being a big wuss.”

“Shannon, you should know me better than that by now,” I replied, “so go get ready and collect the things you need. You can meet me back here, as soon as you’re ready. Okay?”

“Yeah, that will work fine,” he answered, before he raced up the stairs to his room.

By the time he came down again, he had showered, brushed his teeth and slipped on some clean underwear. I suspect he was concerned about what I’d think if he came down nude. When I saw him standing in the doorway, I motioned for him to come on in, because I had finished getting ready myself. Shannon rushed to his father’s side of the bed.

“I sleep here, right?” he clarified.

“Yes, sir. That’s where your father sleeps,” I confirmed.

“What time are we going to the hospital tomorrow?” he wanted to know.

“Well, I figured we could go there for a while in the morning, come back and pick everyone up for church and then go back once we bring everyone home after brunch,” I suggested.

“Uh, I’ll just stay there and you can get the others and go to church,” he countered. I merely looked at him and raised my eyebrows.

“Shannon, by the morning you’ll be able to see your father is doing fine,” I stated, “and I think your dad will also tell you he wants you to go to church and get a bite to eat with us, before going back.”

“Why?” he wanted to know. “Going to church and saying prayers doesn’t seem to help. We still lost Cody, didn’t we?”

“It doesn’t mean you’ll always get what you want,” I advised him, “but neither does sitting there, when you can’t do anything to help. I’ll tell you what. I’ll make a deal with you.” Shannon looked at me skeptically.

“We’ll go early, see how your dad is doing and find out when he’ll be released,” I continued. “If he’s doing well and will be released early, we’ll just stay there and skip church. However, if he is doing well but won’t be released until later, then you’ll join us and we’ll go back to pick him up afterward. Agreed?”

“But what if he isn’t doing well?” Shannon challenged.

“I doubt that will be the case,” I replied, “but if it is, then of course we’ll stay there and won’t leave him. Do we have a deal then?” Shannon thought about this for a couple more minutes, before he replied.

“Do I have too?” he whined.

“Look, I’m trying to meet you halfway,” I explained, “instead of just telling you to do as I say. I think that’s fair.” Shannon thought about it some more.

“Okay, as long as Dad tells me he wants me to do that too,” he confirmed. Since I knew Jake would feel the same way I did, I saw no problem with meeting his demands.

“It’s settled then,” I confirmed.

Shannon and I then got into bed and I turned off my lamp. Before long I felt him scooting over closer to me. “Will you hold me?” he nearly begged. “I think I’ll sleep better, if you do.”

“Of course,” I agreed, before wrapping my arm around him and pulling him tightly against my side. Shannon seemed to breathe a sigh of relief as I did this and then I felt him relax and melt against my body. Who says a grown boy doesn’t need a father’s love and reassurance sometimes?

I awoke fairly early the next morning and Shannon woke up shortly after I got out of bed. I guess he must have felt I was no longer cuddling with him and opened his eyes to look for me.

“Pop, where are you?” he shouted. I peeked back into the room as I answered.

“Shannon, I’m just in the kitchen fixing myself a quick breakfast,” I told him.

“Okay,” he said, as he hopped out of bed and headed toward the bathroom. I couldn’t help but notice his morning stiffy was leading the way.

Once he relieved himself, Shannon sauntered in to the kitchen. “Would you like something to eat?” I asked.

“I’ll just have a bowl of cereal, but I can get it myself,” he replied.

“There’s juice in the fridge too, so help yourself,” I told him.

While he was doing that, I fixed my toast and coffee and then sat down to join him. “Feeling better this morning?” I asked.

“Yeah. I guess I’m not as worried about Dad as I was yesterday,” he confessed. “I’m sure the hospital would have called if he got worse, so I’m doing fine.”

“I’m glad to hear that,” I replied. “Dress for church, even if you don’t end up going, and I’ll go wake the others and get them started. I’m nearly ready myself.”

“Okay. I’ll be ready in a jiffy,” he agreed.

After I woke the other boys, I told them to get ready for church and advised them I’d be back to pick them up after Shannon and I went to see Jake. They promised they’d be ready by the time I returned, so I kissed each of them on the forehead and went down and finished dressing. Once I was set, Shannon and I got in the Yukon and drove to the hospital.

Jake was awake and eating breakfast when we entered and he looked really good. He was sitting up, alert and appeared well rested.

“Good morning,” I greeted him, as we entered. “You’re looking well. How do you feel?”

“A little sore, but not too bad,” he explained. “I just want to thank both of you for being here with me yesterday.”

“Jake, since when do you have to thank us for wanting to be with someone we love and care about when he’s in the hospital?” I asked, hypothetically. “Come on, do you think we’d let you be here all alone?” Shannon was flashing his father a dirty look.

“Dad, you must still be high on the drugs or something,” he teased. “So when can we spring you out of here?”

“I asked that earlier and the nurses said the doctor won’t make his rounds until after he takes his family to church,” Jake answered. “ I guess it will be some time after lunch then, if he agrees to let me go home.” I saw Shannon grimace when he mentioned church.

“That’s interesting,” I interjected. “I was telling Shannon earlier that we’d go to church and come back to get you afterward, unless you were getting released earlier.”

“That works for me,” Jake shot back, before Shannon had a chance to insert his own two-cents into the conversation. He just groaned when he heard his father’s reply. “In fact, if you see the oncologist in church, tell him to hurry over here, because I want to go home.” Jake then chuckled at his own comment, while I was whispering to Shannon.

“You did promise,” I told him, so his father wouldn’t hear. Shannon just gave me an icy glare, which told me he still wasn’t happy with the compromise.

We stayed with Jake a little longer and then I dragged Shannon out of there. Not physically, but he didn’t hurry to keep up either. We went home and picked up the others next, before heading to our normal house of worship. The boys asked how Jake was doing as we drove there and I told them we should be bringing him home later. They were all glad to hear it and everyone’s spirits seemed to be high, as we pulled in to the parking lot.

The church service went fairly quickly and wasn’t painful, even for Shannon. I did suggest the boys thank God for pulling Jake through his ordeal and I’m sure they complied. As soon as the service ended, we bolted out of there, grabbed a quick brunch and then dropped the others off at home, before Shannon and I returned to the hospital. The doctor was still in with Jake when we arrived. He greeted us as we entered.

“I guess you’re here to take him home,” he added, after saying hello.

“We were hoping that would be the case,” I replied.

“Yes, I’m releasing him,” he confirmed. “He’s done very well, so I see no need to keep him longer.” I thought Shannon was going to run over and hug the doctor when he said this.

“Great, and do we need to do anything special for him or does he have any restrictions,” I pressed.

The doctor then went on to tell us all we needed to know and then told me I could go down and get Jake’s discharge papers, since he’d already called it in. So, without further delay, I went down and signed Jake out of the hospital and it wasn’t long before we were taking him home.

Jake was still a little tender and winced a bit as he climbed into the front seat. I told him he didn’t have to use his seatbelt, since it would rub across his stitches, and explained I’d just drive very carefully and slow. I didn’t want him to get hurt in an accident, on top of everything else. He thanked me for that, but I didn’t breathe easy until after I pulled into our driveway and parked.

Shannon quickly jumped out and helped his father get out of the Yukon, and then we walked on either side of Jake as we made our way to the house. Once we were inside, we waited on him hand and foot for the rest of the day, as we tried to hasten his recovery. I definitely think he knew he was loved.

Copyright © 2010 Bill W; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 6
  • Love 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..