Jump to content
    Bill W
  • Author
  • 4,273 Words
  • 3,502 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Castaway Hotel - 9 - 6. Chapter 6 - A Mighty Full Plate

Surprisingly, Jake recovered quite rapidly and returned to work on Monday. His supervisor agreed to place him on light duty for a few days, even though he wasn’t required to do so. I believe he agreed to this because Jake had proven his worth in the past and had previously bailed his supervisor out on several occasions. Jake had always made himself available when the company needed him, whether it was to do additional tasks, work extra hours or cover when someone else called in. Since his supervisor realized Jake was one of his best and most loyal workers, he didn’t want to risk leaving a bad taste in Jake’s mouth by not helping out when Jake needed it. The supervisor also understood that if he refused and made Jake go home, it would be without pay, since Jake had used up all of his time off already, and it might sour their working relationship. He reasoned that something like this might be enough to cause Jake to become a disgruntled employee or maybe even quit, so to prevent that from happening, he did Jake this small favor. Jake and I both appreciated it and Jake thanked him several times for his understanding and cooperation.

Jake was a little tender that evening, after getting home from work. Although he only lifted light loads and spent most of his time processing paperwork, Jake still complained a bit about some minor pain where the incision had been made. I went and got him some pain relievers, to help ease his discomfort, and he began to feel better a short time later. The same thing happened over the next couple of nights as well, but other than that he was doing fine.

That weekend, Jesse teased me to go out bike riding with Sammy, Little Ricky and him. Since Jake was still taking it easy after his operation, I asked if he minded if I did this. I explained that it seemed to mean a lot to Jesse, especially since he was forced to ride in the seat behind us on the bicycle outing on vacation. Jake didn’t even allow me to finish the explanation, before he began urging me to go and have a good time. Unfortunately, Andrew wasn’t able to join us, since the doctor hadn’t released him for this activity yet, but it thrilled the other boys and we quickly retrieved our bikes and headed out.

The three of them took me along basically the same route Jake and I had taken with them previously, which was a bit of a challenge. Even though they kept looking over their shoulders to see if I was keeping up, I held my own and we only stopped for a drink, shortly after we started back home. When we reached the house, Jake urged me to go take a nice long shower and then change, and he and the boys would have lunch ready by the time I got out. When I started to object to him doing this, he said he already had the grill fired up and the boys were doing most of the work. After reminding him that he needed to take it easy and not overdo it, he assured me he would and sent me off.

I had to admit the hot shower felt wonderful and took some of the kinks out of the old muscles, and then I changed and went into the kitchen to see Jake. When I did, he told me to head out back, because the boys had almost everything out there already, so I started for the back door. As I was going through the rec room to get there, I suddenly saw several people jump out in front of me, as they shouted, “Happy Birthday!” I’ll be damned! They managed to arrange a surprise party for me anyway and I never suspected a thing. Yes, it was a little over a week later, but so what. We had spent last weekend consumed with Jake’s health issues and I certainly wouldn’t have been able to enjoy it, if they did this then. However, now I was willing to enjoy myself, despite any misgivings I had about them doing this for me.

As I looked about, I saw our extended family, as well as most of the boys that were still at home. Dion and Graham were missing, because they were outside watching over the food, but they wished me a happy birthday too, as I sat down at one of the picnic tables. I must admit, I wasn’t expecting this and couldn’t believe they managed to keep it a secret. Usually someone slips and says something, but not this time.

I must say, it was wonderful to have everyone here, but the mention of my birthday only reminded me that my newest grandchild had most likely been born, but no one had called to tell me anything. This did dampen my spirit some, but everyone managed to keep me distracted, so I didn’t have time to think about it until after the party had ended. I did remember to thank everyone before they left, but I was readily aware this was going to be a long and difficult night.

Later, when we were alone, Jake wanted to know why I looked so down, so I explained what I was thinking. He tried his best to cheer me up and end my depression, but nothing he did worked. The only way I’d begin to feel better is after I learned the baby was born – and then got to meet him or her. Since I doubted that was going to happen, I planned on burying myself in work, so I wouldn’t think about it as much.

School started the following week and the opening went very smoothly. It was somewhat surprising that it came off as flawlessly as it did, considering how my attention had been divided among so many other things. It is definitely a good thing that I have such a great support network and I’ll make certain to reward them for their diligence and hard work as soon as I can. We do have a teachers’ workday coming up in three weeks, when I planned to ask them for input on how things were going up to this point. I also had a speaker coming in to discuss some innovations I wanted to try to incorporate in the curriculum throughout the year, so I think I’ll make sure we serve a very special luncheon that day. I have just the caterer in mind.

Jesse had also met with the speech therapist that had evaluated him at the end of the previous school year. She was amazed at how well he was doing and how much progress he had made, so she felt he should continue to improve over the current academic year. Oh, and after I told her why Jesse had been doing so well, she made sure to catch Andrew one day and praise him for all the effort he had provided to his younger brother. Needless to say, Andrew was bursting his buttons by the time he got home that night and relayed what she’d said to Jake and me. He did ask us not to tell Jesse though, because he didn’t want Jesse to think he was doing it just to get praised. Even though I told him I didn’t think Jesse would look at it that way, Andrew still asked us to keep it from him, so we agreed.

Wednesday, after I got home from work, I received a call from Robert. He just phoned to check in and see how things were going. I told him about Jake, but I could sense something else was on his mind.

“I’m glad he’s okay now,” he stated, “but haven’t you heard from anyone else?” I suspected he was asking if Marie had called to tell me about the baby yet.

“Nope, no one else,” I confirmed.

“Damn, I’m sorry, Pop,” he commiserated. “I just don’t understand why Marie hasn’t called you. I thought she might by now.”

“Why, did she have the baby?” I followed, since I was curious if he might know the answer to that question.

“I don’t know,” he countered, “that’s why I was hoping they might have called you. I haven’t heard from her either.” Well, that answered my question.

“Hey, please let me know if you do,” I added. “I really would like to know if I have a new grandson or granddaughter.”

“I will, Pop. I promise. I love you,” he closed.

Well, it was nice to hear from him and I appreciated his call, but I wish he’d had more information to share with me. Oh, well. I just wonder when I’ll find out what Marie had, if I ever do. Yes, I’m sure I’ll find out someday, but it’s just that I have no idea when that will happen.

On another front, I also received some news from Captain De Luca about Jesse’s stepfather. He had received word that a couple of things had come up during the investigation and he wanted to share the information with me. Before he did that, however, he made me promise that I wouldn’t share it with anyone else, well except for Jake. First of all, there had also been an allegation he had molested a thirteen-year old before he had met Jesse’s mother. He was working as a corrections officer at the time, but was also working security, part-time, for a retail store. It seems the boy he stopped for shoplifting claimed John had fondled him, while frisking him for merchandise, which John vehemently denied. He claimed the boy had made that up, in an effort to get out of the shoplifting charge. Seeing the store had video surveillance of the boy that showed him picking up several items and stuffing them in his clothing, his claim didn’t stick and he was arrested. The charge against John was dropped as unsubstantiated.

Seeing they now had two reports of inappropriate sexual behavior with minors, the judge allowed them to unseal a juvenile offender file on him. The case happened a few months before John turned twenty-one and it seems he had been charged with sexually abusing two boys, ages seven and eight at the time. John did plead guilty to it when confronted, but his record was sealed, as long as he received psychiatric counseling, which was provided for by the county, and he didn’t appear before the court with any other charges for a period of five years. Seeing he fulfilled those conditions, his record was unavailable for the earlier complaint, but he wasn’t as fortunate this time.

Captain De Luca then went on to tell me that the District Attorney was offering him a deal, if he pled guilty. Since the statute of limitations hadn’t run out on the previous complaint, made by the teenager, the D.A. was willing to not pursue that matter, if he’d plead guilty to molesting Jesse. John would have to agree to serve a ten to fifteen year sentence in prison and not have any contact with anyone under the age of eighteen, but it was also pointed out to him that he could end up doing consecutive ten to fifteen year terms, if he wanted to push it and take it to trail. The D.A.’s office was hoping John’s lawyer would convince him to take the deal, especially with his prior conviction and two subsequent incidents. Captain De Luca said he’d call me, as soon as he got any word, so now we’d just have to wait and hope. This would certainly be easier on Jesse, if he didn’t have to testify and could just put this behind him.

At school, the gay-straight alliance had its kick-off meeting, during the middle of the second week of school. The boys had made many posters publicizing this event and hung them around school, but this time the posters didn’t get torn down. The club also posted messages on the website they had created for the club, plus they also had an announcement read over the P.A. system for the three days preceding the meeting. Oh, and I think I forgot to tell you something else that happed at the end of the last school year. There had been so much going on that I forgot to report who had been elected as officers for the club, so I shall correct that oversight now.

The boys had a very difficult time deciding whom they wanted to run for president, and then they had to convince him to go through with it, after the fiasco with Sammy. They chose this person very carefully; because they were worried they might be setting him up as a new target. They even came to discuss their choice with Jake and me, before they reached an agreement. This is how that session went, when Nick and the others approached us.

“Have you boys decided who is going to run for each office?” I asked. “I know you think one of you should run for president, since this club was your idea in the first place.”

“We have, but unfortunately Trey and I will be in college, so we can’t do it,” Nick replied. “Graham and Dion will be seniors next year, which led us to think maybe it should be one of them, but we’re also worried people might give them shit, so we’ve thought about this a lot. Even though Dion and Trey were close and people always saw them together, we don’t think it will be a problem. Trey will be at college, so we feel people will just think they hung around because they were brothers and not consider any other connection. Besides, Dion has had a few experiences with girls and word got around school about them before. It probably wouldn’t have, but the girls all mentioned what a big dick he had, especially the one girl who wouldn’t do it with him because of it, so we don’t feel anyone will try to claim he’s gay. That’s why we’ve decided he would be the best choice to run for president.”

I then looked at Dion, who had a big smile on his face. I don’t think it had anything to do with them wanting him to run for president, but because it had been pointed out that he was notorious for his physical assets. For that reason, I needed to see if he agreed with this proposal.

“Dion, are you certain you want to do this?” I inquired.

“Yes, I am,” he stated, emphatically. “It’s very important we get the club running and have the right activities from the start, so I’m willing to do it. Graham, Richard and Sammy have all agreed they’ll help, but I’m the least likely to get crap from anyone at school. If anyone does say anything, I can just point out that I’ve been with my share of young ladies and they’ve more than spread the word around about it, if they still doubt me. I don’t think the others would be able to do that, without having to prove themselves, like those guys tried to make Sammy do.”

“Okay, if you’re positive,” I concurred. “I must admit that I agree with your logic and it seems you boys have really thought this through. Do you know if anyone is going to run against you?”

“Not that we’ve heard,” he answered. “One of the lesbians that is very open about her sexuality has told us she’ll run as vice-president and one of the straight girls is going to put her name in as secretary-treasurer. That’s all we’ve heard about, but I’ll let you know if that changes.”

I thanked them for the information and later learned that those three ran unopposed. In fact, a motion was made at their second organizational meeting and was passed unanimously, by those in attendance. Now, it was up to them to get the ball rolling.

The boys informed me they had three things planned for the August/September time period, which I thought was a bit ambitious. However, after they explained it to me, I agreed it sounded good. First, they were planning to run the concession stand at the home football games, as a fund-raising project to help pay for some of the club’s other activities. In our district, a group is selected to do this every year, so each interested party is asked to submit their proposal to the athletic department for consideration. They are required to list the items they plan to carry, the prices they would charge and specify the number of people who would be working at each game. Since the gay-straight alliance had signed up so many volunteers for this, and their offerings and prices seemed the most varied and reasonable, their proposal was selected as the best. Now, the concession stand was their baby for the season.

Second, the club was going to sponsor a dance after the second home game. It would be held in the high school gymnasium and they would charge a small admittance fee, but then everyone would be free to dance with whomever they chose. This dance wasn’t just going to be for the straight couples, as the other dances had been. The alliance was going to make it clear that if students couldn’t accept that boys might be dancing with boys and girls might be dancing with other girls then they should not attend. The high school principal had also assured me, privately, that he, his vice-principal and several faculty members would be there to supervise the dance and see to it that no problems happened. I thanked him for his involvement and foresight and offered to join them for that purpose.

The third thing they had planned was that they were going to make and enter a float in the homecoming parade. I told them these three activities were going to require a lot of planning and effort, but they assured me they had many other volunteers that were willing to help out, so they felt they were up to the challenge. After warning them, once again, how much energy would be needed, they convinced me this is what they wanted to do, so I gave them my blessings and support.

I was hoping these activities would pass by quietly, but that was not to be. When the August school board meeting was held, my dear friend – NOT – was happy to complain about one of their scheduled activities. We were in the middle of new business when he asked if he could have the floor to bring up something that concerned him. Since the board president had no reason to refuse him, we all held our breath as he stood up to speak.

“It has come to my attention that this gay alliance club is planning to hold a dance at the end of the month,” he began. The board president and I both acknowledged this was correct.

“I’ve also heard that it’s been announced that the queers will be able to dance with other queers and if the straight kids don’t like it, then they can just stay home. Is this true?” It was obvious he was directing the question to me, so I responded.

“That is not the way things were stated,” I began, “so please allow me to give you the facts.” He merely sneered at my response.

“Since the dance is sponsored by the gay-straight alliance,” I continued, “it has been publicized that anyone may dance with whomever they choose. This was done to make everyone feel comfortable with enjoying the company of any partner, but it was stated in such a way so it was not an ‘in your face’ declaration or challenge.” The board member went to speak, but I held up my hand to stop him.

“Please let me continue,” I urged him, and he reluctantly did. “This was also publicized to prevent problems and eliminate possible confrontations at the dance, if some students didn’t agree with this idea. It was stated in a way to let everyone know this was going to be allowed and would definitely happen, so if any student felt uncomfortable being around such things, then it might be best if they skipped this particular dance. Everyone is welcome to attend and enjoy the dance, but only if they can accept the concept that everyone will have an equal right to dance with the partner of their choice.”

“Once again we’re catering to the fags and lesbos, while punishing the straight kids for being normal,” he spat out.

“No one is being punished,” I asserted. “All straight couples are welcome to attend, as long as they agree not to create a problem about free choice and free expression.”

“You’re not giving the straight kids any ‘free expression,’ he mocked, thinking he had me.

“Oh, they certainly do and they can express their disapproval by not attending,” I offered.

“No, we’re discriminating against normal behavior and those who aren’t queer,” he sneered.

“You know, I never heard you express concern about the discrimination that was happening to the gays, when they couldn’t attend such events with their partners,” I challenged.

“Because friggin homos shouldn’t have any rights,” he screamed.

“Oh, so now you’re going to be the moral judge for who should and shouldn’t have rights?” I pressed.

“Aren’t you doing the same thing?” he scoffed.

“No, we’re giving everyone the same rights and just letting those who disagree with uniform equality know that we won’t tolerate disruptions of the peaceful expression of the same.”

“It’s the same damn thing,” he fumed, “’cept you keep wrapping it up in your highfalutin lingo, to make it sound like that’s not what you’re doing.”

“I’m sorry if you can’t comprehend standard English and accept it for what it is,” I taunted, “but we are following school policy and will not bow to the demands of a few, vocal bigots.”

At this point, he was fuming so badly that he could only stutter and not say anything coherent or recognizable. Seizing upon this opportunity, the school board president moved on to the next topic, but not before the idiot board member interrupted one more time.

“When I get re-elected next month,” he challenged, “you’ll see from the number of votes I get that I’m not in the minority. There are many people out there that feel the same way I do.”

“I think you mean IF you get re-elected,” I countered, “because I hear there is quite a ground swell of sentiment against your insulting tirades. In fact, this may be your final meeting as a member of the board.”

I saw the board president flinch and flash me a glare after I made this statement, so that was the last thing I said, before I took my seat. For the rest of the meeting, the board member merely glared at me, his face a deep crimson, his veins bulging and his contempt clearly evident. I kept my composure and ignored him, while silently praying my friends would get their candidate elected, so I didn’t have to tolerate him any longer.

When I returned home, Jake was waiting up for me and was feeling more than a little frisky. As soon as I got undressed and slid into bed, he made his intentions known. He quickly rolled over and planted a very passionate kiss on me and then began what I can only describe as his prelude to lovemaking. He was all over me and I was definitely aroused, but I was also a little concerned.

“Jake, do you think you’re really up for this already?” I asked, while thinking about the recent operation he had undergone.

“I feel fine and have been waiting to do this for days,” he signed. “Please, don’t say no. I’m ready, willing and still able, so just enjoy.”

I felt he must know what he was talking about, so I gave up my objections and joined in. I don’t remember Jake being this assertive and eager in quite awhile, so I wasn’t sure if it was because he realized he had beaten the cancer, for now, or if he was just sexually starved. Either way, he wasn’t about to be denied and I was more than happy to go along for the ride, so to speak.

Over the next hour, Jake and I enjoyed each other thoroughly and were even more active than we were on the cruise. We were alone for most of that time and had renewed our commitment and gotten reacquainted, you might say, but this time our connection went even deeper. This was more than just making love. It was about wanting, needing, depending upon and loving the other person, more than anyone or anything else. My love for Jake was a romantic love, not the fatherly love I felt for my children or the love I shared with the extended family and a few dear friends. I was truly and hopelessly in love with him, even if it wasn’t always apparent to the rest of the world, but I’m working on that.

What a blissful night we spent, even after the lovemaking ended. I did check to make sure he wasn’t in any pain or nothing bad had happened to him as a result of that session, but he seemed to be fine. In fact, we both were.

Copyright © 2010 Bill W; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
  • Love 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..