Jump to content
    Brayon
  • Author
  • 2,580 Words
  • 2,068 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Aeris - Guardian Force - 8. Interlude 3: Friendship & Trust

A conversation between friends.

Aeris was running late. Walking into his quarters after having a nice lunch with Jules, he sighs contently. They were a month into the voyage back to the Sol System to report on the happenings in the Gilese system, or as the crew of the Prometheus have dubbed it, the ‘Battle of Gilese Prime.’ He had just stripped out of his uniform and was putting on his jockstrap and workout shorts when the door chime rang.

“Come in,” Aeris said. The computer immediately opened the door, while playing the phrase on the exterior speaker.

Standing in the doorway was Warrant Officer Jeffers, dressed in workout gear as well. “Did I catch you early?”

“No,” Aeris states as he shook his head. “I’m running late from lunch with the Admiral. I should be just a moment. Come in, sit down.” He pulls the shirt over his head and heads for the on suite bathroom.

William walks in and heads for the couch in Aeris’ stateroom. He looks around at the spacious area for the first time since he started training with Aeris, nodding somewhat, “I could get used to a room like this. It’s about the size of my old apartment on Mars. They still have me in enlisted billeting, I’m jealous now.”

Aeris pokes his head back in, to look at William, toothpaste dripping down the corner of his mouth, “Seriously? They haven’t moved you to officer’s territory?”

“Nope and their excuse were, ‘Warrant Officers are not Commission Officers.’ All bullshit, I know the regs, and they are both considered commissioned, with just a difference in experience and specialty training. I feel that your promotion of me has caused a shitstorm. Colonel Ionita is now reviewing all the Marines on board to see if anyone else got screwed over like I did.”

Finishing his bathroom duties, Aeris steps out, and looks over to William, “I’m sorry for the trouble, you’re going through, but I’m not sorry for correcting the fuck up. You cool with weathering the storm, or do you need me to do some nudges?”

“I’m cool for now. If it gets worse, I’ll give you a right hook, for the trouble,” William chuckles, as he makes to get up. “You ready?”

“Not just yet, want to chat really quick.” Aeris moves over to the couch and sits opposite of William. He settles back, before getting right back up, shaking his head some, and says “Want a drink?”

“Sure, I’ll take one.”

Aeris grabs two energy workout drinks from his kitchenette-bar, and hands one to William, before sitting back down. “Here you go.”

William takes the drink, laughing a bit, “You’re acting more nervous than a virgin about to get laid on prom night.”

“Heh, it shows huh,” Aeris takes a drink, while getting a curious look from William, and then continues, “Wanted to talk to you about Guardian Force training. I know I said, I would put you in for it, but before I did, I want to talk to you about you would be getting into, and get your approval first.”

“Oh, and here I thought, you were making a pass at me, Commander,” William laughs a bit good-naturedly. “So, you mean, what we’ve been doing for the past month, isn’t the training? You could have fooled me. At any rate, you’ve got my permission Aeris. I’d consider it an honor.”

“You might not after you hear the recruiting speech,” Aeris takes a sip of his drink and looks at William. “What we’ve been doing is conditioning exercises, and I’ve been teaching you the basics of our hand to hand fighting style. You’re a quick study, and I dare say you might be a psychic latent with how quickly you pick things up and process it. We can have tests run for that if you’re willing, and if you are psychic, we can incorporate that into your training.” He pauses for a moment, so William could process what he said.

“We have two types of agents in the Guardian Force; Deep Cover, like myself, and Tactical Specialists. As a deep cover operative, you use a codename only, never revealing your true identity to anyone, except fellow Operatives. You’re forbidden to have any contact with your real family, while you’re in the service, so they cannot be used against you. You receive genetic enhancements, cybernetic implants, and lastly cosmetic surgery, to change your facial appearance.” Another pause, while he takes a sip of the drink.

“That’s a lot to give up,” William says. “Is that why when Zirsi gave you the locket, you had that look of death? But, you think I’m psychic?”

“It was. The holograph picture was my parents and me. It was taken when I was six years old, at an amusement park on Io. The locket is authentic,” Aeris answers honestly. “With you being psychic, I’m about 100% sure. Hold on to those questions for a moment, and I’ll explain in a bit.” William nods to him, agreeing to wait.

“Now, for the Tactical Specialists in the Guardian Force, you receive the same training, same genetic and cybernetic modifications, and have the same authority as the Deep Cover Operatives. However, you can keep in contact with your family, and you don’t get the cosmetic surgery. There are considered voluntary options for TacSpecs. As a TacSpec you work typically in teams. The teams can be as few as two, or as big as ten, depending on assignment. Some missions you might be assigned to do solo, or teamed with normal armed service personal. Or, you might be assigned to work with a DCOp, as backup and coordination.”

William nods during this, and motions for Aeris to continue.

“That’s the general bit of Guardian Force. Everything else is kicking your ass in training, classified Intel, and lots of assignments,” Aeris finishes, looking to William. “Now that you know, you still game?”

“Yes, even more so now,” William answered fairly quickly. “Go ahead and put me in for it, and I’ll sign what I need too. TacSpec program, if I get a choice.”

“Good and you do get a choice.” Aeris said with a grin, “We’ll see Admiral Franks tomorrow, and get the paperwork done.” He checks the time on his HUD, “We might miss our appointment time for the gym. The next part is rather lengthy, and it’s really gonna need you to have a very open mind. I’m sending a message to the Duty Officer that you’ve been removed from the Roster for a special assignment, until further notice.”

William looks even more curious, and a bit apprehensive at Aeris, but nods some. “Alright Commander, I’ll keep an open mind about it. Let me guess, classified too?”

“Yes, it is classified as SCI-Ultra-Black. Only you, I, Admiral Franks, Commander O’Conner, the Naval Intelligence Division, and the Thorian Zirsi can talk about it. Others on a need to know basis, though most of the ship knows we have an alien on board.”

~*~

Aeris pauses again, to take a drink, and activates the holo-projector, tying it into his classified directory. He queues up a video file and waits before hitting play. “Remember back on Gilese Prime, when Zirsi said he had other proof for us? Well, in debrief, he supplied it to us, and we’ve finished going over the file. We’re 99% sure it’s authentic. Also, as we’ve experienced, magic is real. Zirsi demonstrated for us some simple spells and has convinced the Intel Div, and the Admiral, it’s real. This video is from me, a future me, and it included the locket as proof, and it has some revelations, about what’s going on.”

Aeris hits play on the video and then sits back. He listens to the video but mostly watches William, and judges his reaction. The video shows a bomb shelter bunker, which looks well used, and may have been the subject of an attack. A rigged lightening illuminates four people at a table. Aeris, William, Zirsi, and Admiral Franks sit in worn battle stained uniforms and have tired looks on their faces.

The video Aeris starts to speak after a moment, “The Earth and the Sol Federation have fallen to the Thorian Empire. It was too late for us, to implement a magical defense against the Thorians, due to our lack of knowledge. Zirsi and a small conclave of mages did defect to our side, but it was not enough to stop it. We’re sending this message and data crystals in a reverse time capsule about how the war turned out in our timeline, so that you may prevent it from happening. The Temporal and Quantum Physic geeks are gonna go apeshit when they find out what we did.

“In the data crystals, you’ll find more to prove our authenticity. The Locket, well, after Sol fell, I had to retrieve it from the family home.” The video Aeris, in a show of emotion, seems to almost break down. A reassuring hand squeeze from the video William, followed by a kiss on the lips between the two, which comforts the on-screen Commander.

“Stop, please,” William on the couch asks. Aeris pauses the video mid-kiss and looks over to William. “Does this mean, we’re a couple in the future, and just how far into the future is it?”

“One of the data crystals does have our marriage certificate on file, along with our service records. The date seems to be about twenty-five or thirty years from now, as no actual one is given in the video. It’s what also shows you’re psychic, and how talented you may become. I say ‘may’ because, the Intel Div consulted the Science Department, and the scientists say, ‘The future is in flux. What shows on the video, may not come to pass,’ which they theorize also includes any talents we may develop.”

“You already knew I was going to choose TacSpec, and say yes to Guardian Training,” William stated.

“I did, from watching the video, and the data crystals. However, you have free will and are making the decision right now. Don’t think about what’s going on in these files, which you will have full access to. So, you may be psychic, and you and I may get married, and it seems I may turn into an emotionally traumatized individual.” A look of concern passes over Aeris face, as he turns back to the video, and hits play again.

The kiss ends, and the video Zirsi starts to speak this time, “We’ve determined that its mission critical for Aeris, William, Jules, and myself be teamed on this in the past. A certain level of trust and friendship will need to occur naturally for success to be achieved. I’ve included designs for, and modulation requirements for all existing Sol Federation Tech and hints towards the development of future tech to help in the war effort. Make no mistake; the Thorian Empire will attack enforce. Earth and you humans need to be ready, or it will be a slaughter, with your race scattered throughout the galaxy.”

“In our timeline, the Battle of Gilese Prime did not go well for us,” the video version of Jules stated. “The scout ship attacked us and overwhelmed our defenses. We barely scratch it, before our reactor blew. If it wasn’t for the cryo-stasis life pods, all of us would have died. We lost all but three hundred crew members, and the Prometheus was destroyed.”

Finally, the video version of William spoke, “We know that by doing these actions, we are altering the past, and creating a Paradox. It's cliché and a bit mystifying. By the time you see this; we will be locked in our timeline, and Lord willing you’ll be in an alternate timeline, where you won’t repeat our mistakes. Though, as a personal request… don’t let us stand in the way of personal happiness, and let things develop naturally.” Finishing his part, he embraces the video Aeris, as the recording stops.

~*~

Aeris sat looking at William, who was looking straight ahead with a passive look on his face. Neither man spoke for a moment, as William digested what he just watched. “Got anything stronger than these energy drinks, Commander?” William asks while turning to look at Aeris.

“I do, give me a moment,” he stands up, and heads over to his kitchenette grabs two glasses from their holder, and then pours them each a whiskey. “Venetian Whiskey is all I got right now. Need to hit a Depot when we get back to Sol.” He hands William his glass and sits back down sipping his.

“How long have you known that we were married in the future?” William asks, looking at Aeris. He takes a long drink of the whiskey and nods his approval.

“A couple of weeks now, but it was under classification and I couldn’t talk about it,” Aeris answers, sipping on his own drink. “This is what being a Guardian Force officer is like. Knowing Intel, that someone should be told, and not able to do so until they were cleared. I consider you a close friend William; a gorgeous friend, which I do have feelings for and would be with if given a chance. We shared an experience together, that no one else can understand but us. Then we started training, and even a few beers at the officer’s club. I apologize for keeping you in the dark about this. I pushed for them to tell you when I found out.”

“How are we going to handle this? I like you as a friend as well, and I don’t want to fuck that up. No matter what, ah Hell, I am attracted to you, and would take you to bed if given a chance. I have been since we were on the planet, but I haven’t acted upon it because of Rank and Regulations. Now, it’s like we’ve been given a green light to pursue each other, and with the blessing of our future selves.”

“I know it’s hard for me to process as well. I say we handle this as if we didn’t know what the future holds. Tomorrow when you sign the paperwork, you’ll be transferred to the Navy from the Marines, and promoted to the Special Warfare Division. You’ll get full privileges immediately, which means, you’ll be outside the chain of command. You can keep the Warrant Officer rank title, if you wish, or assume a higher one, but we have our own ranking internally. At that point, we can pursue anything we wish.” Aeris tilts his glass back draining his whiskey. “I just hope I get to train you in sexpionage.”

“In what?” William asks, in a startled voice.

Aeris laughs some, and responds, “Sexpionage is basically seduction and sexual techniques used while committing espionage. Spy-craft, basically.”

“Oh…”

Aeris checks the time, and calls up the reservation list for the private training room in the gym on his HUD, “It looks like we might be able to snag the next appointment slot, for today, to train. Want to head there now? Might be a good way to clear our heads.”

“Sounds good to me Aeris, and I have one last thing to say. I don’t blame you for any of this. As I said, I don’t want to fuck up our friendship, and I trust you.”

The two men then leave, headed to the gym for some much-needed stress relief, in training.

This was a fairly long Interlude. More coming soon.
Copyright © 2017 BHopper2; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 17
  • Love 1
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

oh boy, time travel-ish.  i like time travel and the issues it can bring up, though also find it can be challenging to follow the authors intent.  seems as if you kind of put a stop to more messages from the future with Will saying that the future four are locked in their time line now, which does make sense as the four who sent the message experienced a different result at the battle of gilese prime, so most anything that they have to say later would not apply to the current version of the characters....  but my head hurts now ;-)  

 

very nice interlude and looking forward to the story continuing :-)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
15 minutes ago, NoSkis said:

oh boy, time travel-ish.  i like time travel and the issues it can bring up, though also find it can be challenging to follow the authors intent.  seems as if you kind of put a stop to more messages from the future with Will saying that the future four are locked in their time line now, which does make sense as the four who sent the message experienced a different result at the battle of gilese prime, so most anything that they have to say later would not apply to the current version of the characters....  but my head hurts now ;-)  

 

very nice interlude and looking forward to the story continuing :-)

 

Thank you. :)

 

I do agree with the time travel and author's intentions, as I've been stumped a few times when reading stories with this element. Zirsi will be pointing out soon, that "Magic is powerful, but even it has it has limits. We can send non-living simple items back in time, at a steep cost. We can scry the past, and see events on how they unfold. Even Psychics can do that. But, even with our Technological, and Magical Knowledge, the Thorian Empire, and our allies, have never been able to send back in time a living person or a sophisticated machine. Something is blocking it, and we do not know who or what that is."

 

So, the future four had a 'one shot' of sending something back. If they acted in the past on the information given, it locked one timeline, from interfering with the new timeline. Zirsi did that when he went to Gilese and shared the information with the Humans.

Link to comment
8 hours ago, BHopper2 said:

Thank you. :)

 

I do agree with the time travel and author's intentions, as I've been stumped a few times when reading stories with this element. Zirsi will be pointing out soon, that "Magic is powerful, but even it has it has limits. We can send non-living simple items back in time, at a steep cost. We can scry the past, and see events on how they unfold. Even Psychics can do that. But, even with our Technological, and Magical Knowledge, the Thorian Empire, and our allies, have never been able to send back in time a living person or a sophisticated machine. Something is blocking it, and we do not know who or what that is."

 

So, the future four had a 'one shot' of sending something back. If they acted in the past on the information given, it locked one timeline, from interfering with the new timeline. Zirsi did that when he went to Gilese and shared the information with the Humans.

 

so the prime future four (f4), which altered the prime time line by providing information, can no longer affect the actual time line as the(ir) time line has split from the actual time line, as you explained.  the alpha f4, which result from the humans surviving the battle of gilese prime, could potentially alter the actual time line because they presumably have the ability to scry 'their' past, see the results of the alpha f4's actions and provide additional information as they see fit, creating another divergence which would lock alpha f4 from affecting the story past that point, and result in the creation of beta f4 that would allow their influence/access to the actual/story time line.  

 

your explanation has been very helpful - if i have it right, i think that i understand how different time lines can be developed and their limitations as to what the future time lines can affect. finally.

 

Thanks!!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
30 minutes ago, NoSkis said:

 

so the prime future four (f4), which altered the prime time line by providing information, can no longer affect the actual time line as the(ir) time line has split from the actual time line, as you explained.  the alpha f4, which result from the humans surviving the battle of gilese prime, could potentially alter the actual time line because they presumably have the ability to scry 'their' past, see the results of the alpha f4's actions and provide additional information as they see fit, creating another divergence which would lock alpha f4 from affecting the story past that point, and result in the creation of beta f4 that would allow their influence/access to the actual/story time line.  

 

your explanation has been very helpful - if i have it right, i think that i understand how different time lines can be developed and their limitations as to what the future time lines can affect. finally.

 

Thanks!!

 

Exactly! That's how it works in my story's universe. B) I love time Travel stories. Take the last Season of CW's The Flash and how they did Flashpoint. That will not occur in my story, as it would get awfully confusing how the Timelines are intersected.

Link to comment

So by sending information back, more and more time lines will be created? And what's the cost for doing this? 

Did the future four have something sent to them from the future? 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
43 minutes ago, hoaluu said:

So by sending information back, more and more time lines will be created? And what's the cost for doing this? 

Did the future four have something sent to them from the future? 

 

There is really no cost with all it. The exception is that each time something is sent back in time, the old timeline is locked, and is no longer accessible.

 

No, this was the first time a time capsule from the future happened. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
44 minutes ago, Foster said:

I'm glad Dr. Thomas is out of the picture. I hope. Thanks for the interlude.

Yes. He's out of the picture, as far as Aeris is concerned. Especially his love life.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..