Jump to content
    Brayon
  • Author
  • 2,030 Words
  • 2,943 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Aeris - Guardian Force - 1. Act 1 - Origins Part 1

Meeting Aeris for the first time in his role aboard the EX-01-Prometheus.

Chapter 1

By the year 2075, great strides in Technology, Astrophysics, Medicine, and Cybernetics pushed humanity into a new age of human exploration. A single world government underneath the United Nations formed, but it was doomed from the beginning. Old hatreds, deep-seated prejudices, and corruption ran amok in the UN’s attempt at governance. When it fell, the former member states formed new Geological, Political, or Trade nations, combining the resources of the old smaller countries into larger ones. The Indo-Asia Confederate always excelled in cybernetics and human augmentation. The Euro League tried to keep dominance in medical advancements. The North American Federation was the first to pioneer intersystem Space Flight. With fleets of the new spacecraft, humans started populating the rest of our Solar System.

The different regional powers raced to establish colonies across mineral and resource-rich sites scattered on Mars, Jupiter’s Moons, and the Rings of Saturn, among other places. Settlements would spring up virtually overnight; once a landing location was found large enough for space fabricated structures. Disagreements broke out among the Human Colonies, which turned violently deadly with the dangers of space. The Colonial wars lasted well into the 22nd century before peace finally came to the solar system in 2113. Humankind was tired of fighting. They were tired of fighting themselves.

Eventually that same year, the governments of Earth and the Colonies formed a new united government. The Sol Federation formed to control the administrative duties of running an expanding human footprint in our galaxy. Had humankind finally learned to coexist with each other? Not really, but it was a start. Political maneuvering and interstate commerce became two tools used in a new underground conflict. One to see which colony, world, station, or Earth would control the federation.

It was at a colony on Jupiter’s Moon Io that the next leap forward in space exploration was discovered in 2150. These innovations were ways to generate and to manipulate artificial gravity, and subspace engines capable of Faster than Light (FTL) travel. Humans can now leave our Solar System to explore the rest of the Milky Way Galaxy. The first ships to equip with these new technologies were the Federation’s Defense fleet.

Since the early ages of the 1930’s till present day, Humans had dreamt about going to the stars. In popular science fiction, throughout this time, from Television Shows such as Star Trek to Movies like Star Wars, and even the Halo series of Video Games, humans speculated we were not alone in the Galaxy, and that some of them might also be harmful/violent towards us. With this in mind, the Sol Federation’s Research and Development department, along with many corporations, developed weapons for starships, and other defensive capabilities.

~.~

She was the first of her class of starship, launched in the year 2213, and designed for deep space extended tours. Part Exploration and part Battleship the EX-01-Prometheus was both beautiful and deadly. Twelve primary decks of various height in their interior, with two Command and Control decks in the control tower, capability for modular “Plug and Play,” the EX Series of ships could be outfitted for a variety of uses. Measuring 2832 ft from prow to stern, 766 ft high and 466 ft wide, Prometheus could carry over 7000 crew members for extended periods of travel. Sub-light Ion engines were the Prometheus’ primary propulsion system, with emergency chemical rockets, and thrusters. An experimental Grav-metric drive supplemented the sub-light capability, and enabled in-system pinpoint piloting, with no need to worry about the Gravitational effects from the celestial bodies of a solar system. Third generation Subspace engines were incorporated into the overall design of the ship.

State of the art weapon and defensive systems that included point-defense laser cannons, medium and long-range laser turrets, particle-beam cannons, rail-guns, and scores of missiles were just a few of the teeth she had. A limited form of energy shields, backed up by a pinpoint barrier system, of moveable force fields helped protect her strong titanium alloy armor. Her hanger decks contained enough space to fully outfit two squadrons of fighters, with space to spare for several cargoes and personnel shuttles, along with ground vehicles, and both combat and research drones. She was ready for pretty much anything in theory.

Captain Jules Franks surveyed her new ship as the shuttle approached it at its Saturn dry-dock facility. Having already been moved into geo-sync orbit, she appeared as a predator ready to strike. The sleek, angular lines of its tough external armor were painted in a dull gray color, to minimalize sensor detection of the ship. ‘That’s if anything we run into uses sensors like ours,’ Captain Franks thought. “How much longer till we dock?”

“We can dock anytime, Sir. Flight control has given us clear skies,” Ensign Adkins responded. “Shall I head that way, Sir?”

“Please do Ensign,” as she looked her pilot over. “Aren’t you one of my Junior Bridge officers?”

“Yes Sir, I am. Flight needed an extra pilot to shuttle officers from Titan. Most of the other flyboys are still reporting for duty, and haven’t boarded ship yet. So I volunteered, Sir. Needed the flight time for CEUs.”

Captain Franks nodded her head listening. The Prometheus still had another 72 hours before launch, and the crew should all be accounted for in 48. Engineering and shuttle pilots were supposed to have been the first to report. ‘Not a good way to start,’ she thought before adding, “Thanks for the update. Wasn’t aware my pilots weren’t on board, yet.” She smiled a bit, looking over at the Ensign. “But I am impressed with your initiative in volunteering. If your lead doesn’t add it to your file, send a message to the XO, and we’ll do it.”

“Thank you, Sir.”

~.~

The hanger bay was a chaotic dance of ships leaving and arriving, flight crews in light EV-suits, with passengers and cargo disembarking through the soft seal docks. “CAPTAIN ON DECK,” announced the Flight Deck Officer, as soon as she stepped inside from the airlock. Those not doing critical tasks quickly turned and saluted her as she returned the salute, “As you were.” Taking a look around, and not wanting to get into anyone’s way, she grabbed her gear bag and moved towards the exit hatch.

“Captain Franks,” a man who was slightly out of breath caught up with her in the hallway. He gave her a crisp salute before moving to take her bag. “I’m Lieutenant Joshua Rintel. I’ve been assigned to be your steward on this flight tour. May I take your bag? Your personal effects have been transferred from the station, and have already been delivered to your stateroom.”

With a slightly bewildered expression, she looked Lieutenant Rintel over. He was a tall man, at least 6ft 4in, and built like a fitness model. Handsome features, olive colored skin, with some genetic work done, along with Hazel colored eyes, and dark black hair. ‘Your parents spent a fortune on you,’ she thought. “Personal steward? I didn’t realize FleetCom would be authorizing something of that nature. Why a Lieutenant?” Jules asked in a leveled, but questioning tone.

“I’m more of an Aide-de-Camp, as my official MOS, so steward, valet, secretary all rolled into one.”

She appeared even more puzzled now than when he first stopped her. “Thanks, Lieutenant, but I was already aware of what an Aides-de-Camp was. However, is this some game, or sick joke? Those helpers are only authorized for Flag Officers. Last I checked, I’m not one. Who authorized all this?”

“My apologies Captain, I was not aware you were not notified yet. Admiral Toews was the authorizing agent, and you’ve been given advancement in rank to Rear Admiral, lower half. I’m wondering if he wanted it to be a surprise now, as he’ll be coming on board at 08:00 tomorrow,” Lt. Rintel responded a bit sheepishly. “You have my sincere apologies for broadsiding you like this.”

Overcoming her shock, Jules nodded slowly and sighed. “This is not a good way to start a mission. Come along Lieutenant. Bring me up to speed.”


Chapter 2

It had been six months since the Prometheus left the rings of Saturn, and made the warp jump to its first destination of a colony world orbiting Proxima Centauri. They finished the ship’s shakedown tests, which only took two months before the crew set out for the next destination on their mission profile. Up until the Prometheus’ maiden voyage, Human exploration had been capped at 12 light years. With numerous colony worlds established in the area, it was now time to see what lies outside their self-imposed cap.

Sitting in her office, Admiral Franks looked over the status reports as the hatch slid open silently. Jules glanced up as Joshua approached with a serving tray. “I took the liberty to grab your dinner, Jules. The chef made a pot roast.” He walked over to a side table and set the tray down, then turned to look at her. “Jules, you’ve been in here for two days now, barely eating. What has you so worried?”

It was standard practice for Joshua to be candid with her, sometimes bluntly sincere as he was now. He knew her habits better than she did. In private they addressed each other by name only; however, around the crew it was professional. Jules thought having a Personal Steward would be too much of a distraction, but she had to grudgingly admit Joshua did help tremendously. He picked up most of the coordination between the few civilian technicians onboard to observe the Gravimetric drive and the new Subspace engines, with the XO and Chief Engineer. This was all done seamlessly, and without her having to order it. The reports from the different departments, after going through the XO, would go to Joshua, who briefed her. It was almost like having a second Executive Officer, but one that cleaned her suite, office, and made sure she ate at least one meal a day.

“Going over the last data burst from FleetCom. We’re supposed to wait in-system until a courier drone arrives,” she said with a sigh. “However, waiting for it is going to set back our timetable by almost a week.”

“I’ll let the XO know to make arrangements for more supplies to be brought on board. A week of sitting around isn’t going to put too much strain on what we have, but we can’t be too careful. Also, I think perhaps some downtime for the crew would be good for morale.”

Laughing some, Jules looked through the Halo screen of her computer at him. “Who’s supposed to be Captain, and who’s supposed to be the assistant here?” She chuckled before adding, “Go ahead and do that, please. Standard Watch cycles, with off-duty personnel taking downtime for the next three days. I’ll even authorize shore leave for select crew.”

“Yes Sir,” he said formally to acknowledge the order she gave him. “So, what’s the real reason you’re nervous Jules?”

She just shook her head, looking at Joshua. “The courier drone has a change of orders for us. I don’t know what it is yet. FleetCom is tight-lipped, saying it’s classified, and it’s coming from the Fleet Admiral himself.”

“That is a cause for concern. What’s the classification type?”

“Ultra-Black, and Eyes-only; with only three people on this ship can see the full documents; me, you, and the XO. What has me worried, and I mean no offense, is why you Joshua? Just seems very unusual.”

“No worries Hun,” he said smiling at her reassuringly. “I would wonder why, if I were in your chair. Although I think I have something for this.” He reached into one of the pockets on his utilities, pulling out his keycard holder and produced a plain white card. “Before I left Saturn, Admiral Toews gave me this along with a Passphrase. He said nothing else about it, nor explained what it was for. I have tried it a couple of times down in the secure server room, but no luck.”

She gave him a knowing look on his admission of being in a secured area, “Hopefully, we’ll find out soon enough.”

Well, that finishes part one of the story. Currently working on Chapters three, four, and five to make the second & final part of Act 1.
Please let me know your thoughts, opinions, and any other critiques, so I can work on them as well.
Thanks for reading, & I hope you enjoyed it.
Copyright © 2017 BHopper2; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 20
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

2 hours ago, Count44201 said:

CapTuring my attention already.  I like Jules and Joshua, good characters.  

Thanks! I'm doing Character Profiles in my Blog, and the first one on Aeris is posted. Planning on doing one for Jules as well.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Because any comments I might make here would be several months after the chapter was originally published, I do not know whether they will be read by the author, but I cannot resist the opportunity to comment anyway. Excellent beginning for a SciFi tale, I especially like the side comment about ' his parents must have spent a fortune...' It certainly establishes his appearance. The only rant I have is the choice of the captain's first name; Jules is a male sounding name and in this case, just adds a small level of confusion to her characterization. Might the name Julia been a better choice?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
17 minutes ago, mister will said:

Because any comments I might make here would be several months after the chapter was originally published, I do not know whether they will be read by the author, but I cannot resist the opportunity to comment anyway. Excellent beginning for a SciFi tale, I especially like the side comment about ' his parents must have spent a fortune...' It certainly establishes his appearance. The only rant I have is the choice of the captain's first name; Jules is a male sounding name and in this case, just adds a small level of confusion to her characterization. Might the name Julia been a better choice?

Thank you, Mister Will for reading my story. In hindsight, Julia would of been a better choice. I had originally named her Jules after the French writer Jules Verne.

My original team of Beta Readers, and Editors were my real life friends and family, who helped on these first chapters.They were less than stellar in their editing. Though, now I have a wonderful editor named @Kitt, who has gone and re-edited this chapter, among others, and some great Beta Readers.

Link to comment
Kitt

Posted (edited)

9 minutes ago, BHopper2 said:

Jules is a male sounding name and in this case, just adds a small level of confusion to her characterization. Might the name Julia been a better choice?

I guess being an older female who came of age in a male dominated timeframe gives me a different perspective. To me a lady captain using a predominantly male associated name comes across as minimizing the sexual prejudices.  A friend of mine's name IS Julia, but professionally (she is a lawyer) she uses Jules.

Edited by Kitt
  • Like 1
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, Kitt said:

I guess being an older female who came of age in a male dominated timeframe gives me a different perspective. To me a lady captain using a predominantly male associated name comes across as minimizing the sexual prejudices.  A friend of mine who's name IS Julia, but professionally (she is a lawyer) she uses Jules.

That makes sense to me, going for a neutral sound.

Link to comment

 I have a friend whose first name is Churchhill, and a wonderful woman she is.  Jules sounds perfectly normal to me. Enjoyed the first part. Thank you. 

 

Sorry, Churchill has one "h". She will poke me one for that.

Edited by Foster
  • Like 1
Link to comment
4 hours ago, Foster said:

 I have a friend whose first name is Churchhill, and a wonderful woman she is.  Jules sounds perfectly normal to me. Enjoyed the first part. Thank you. 

Thank you for reading! Churchill is a very interesting choice for a first name. I like it. :)

Edited by BHopper2
Link to comment
8 hours ago, Solus Magus said:

The terminologies are giving me goosebumps! I loved it! It also reminds me of anything related to Gundam. :D 

Thanks for reading1 I am glad you are enjoying it.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..