Jump to content
    Chris Booyse
  • Author
  • 1,610 Words
  • 1,460 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

And the Lion and the Lamb lie down together - 14. Chapter 13

AND THE LION AND THE LAMB LIE DOWN TOGETHER

 

Chapter 13:

"Silence in court! Bring in the prisoners!"

The prisoners shuffled in, their leg irons jangling. Grinning guards arranged them in alphabetical order behind three trestle tables. Loud conversation in the packed public gallery died down.

The Judge glared balefully at the unfortunate prisoners. "You are charged with aggravated assault. In addition, you are also charged with damage to state property. Prisoner Lubbe will also be charged with attempted murder at a separate trial. What do you have to say for yourselves?"

That Judge's eyes bored into those of Johan. Johan’s throat constricted and his knees buckled. He tried to make himself as inconspicuous as possible.

"Do not try to hide behind your friends, Lubbe. We all know that you are the real culprit here. If you did not seduce innocent boys and corrupt their values, they would not be standing in front of this court."

Johan trembled violently. The Judge stared at him.

"Do you really think your actions would not catch up with you?" asked the Judge in a deathly quiet voice. Johan quaked in his shoes.

"You are responsible for the predicament these young men find themselves in. If you had not seduced them with your sinful ways, they would not be sharing your fate today. Do you have anything to say for yourself?"

Johan opened his mouth, but his throat was so constricted, that he could not utter a word.

"It is not our fault," Vaatjie shouted. "It is all Johan's doing! He is supposed to know right from wrong. He made us believe that there is no sin in loving each other. We only followed his example. Why should we be punished with him? It is all your fault Johan! IT IS ALL YOUR FAULT!"

“We thought we raised a God-fearing son,” shouted his mother from the public gallery. “This perverted monster deserves the punishment that will be meted out to him today! You are no longer our son! We want nothing to do with you!”

Johan twisted in agony. Why does Riaan not say anything? Where is Riaan? He twisted his head violently, trying to find Riaan amongst the prisoners. Has Riaan abandoned him too?

The Judge rose from his throne-like seat. He glided over to Johan. His white robes billowed around him. Blood trickled from His forehead. Johan could see where the crown of thorns cut into the flesh.

"Mercy," Johan managed to croak. "Lord, have mercy!"

"There is no mercy for you. The wages of sin is death", intoned the Judge.

A deep trench opened in front of Johan's feet. Huge flames leapt from it, scorching his face. He staggered back. The heat was unbearable.

"And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever."

With a despairing scream, Johan tumbled into the pit.

" Johan! Johan, wake up! Johan!"

Strong arms embraced Johan. Riaan’s unique scent filled his nostrils. His thundering heartbeat slowed down.

"Shhh, it's okay. Don't worry, it was just a nightmare." Riaan slowly massaged Johan's back with his free hand. "It was just a bad dream. You're safe now. Nothing will hurt you. I'm here."

Johan gratefully slid back into a fitful doze.

Dawn finally broke. André bustled into the ward just after six o'clock.

"Good morning, lovebirds," he chirped. "Did you sleep well? Rise and shine, Babies. You have a busy day ahead."

Johan smiled wanly at André. He decided not to mention the nightmare. Riaan also just smiled.

"Alll-righty folks, into the shower with you. And don't take too long - NO playing! While you are showering I'll quickly get your breakfast. Doctor Swart will be here just now. You know how upset he gets when we are not ready for him."

At least Riaan was allowed to take off the back brace for showers. Otherwise it would have been a fairly impossible task to clean him up properly. They spent ten minutes under the shower before André bellowed from the ward.

"I TOLD you, no playing in the shower!"

"Uh-uh, Mummy is upset! Tell me André, are you normally so grumpy, or did your lack of a social life force you to stay up all night with Mrs. Palmer and her five daughters?" asked Riaan.

"I'll have you know that I have the whole of the NCO mess at my beck and call, Mr. Hot Lips - even the sergeant major. I can get a screw whenever I feel like it", replied André loftily.

"The NCO mess? Yeah, right, dream on Baby! You seriously suffer from a disease called Delusions of Grandeur. Did you notice Johan, he callouses on all ten of your fingers now. You know, swapping hands to spice up his love life a bit."

The bickering washed over Johan’s soul like a balm. Life was finally returning to a semblance of normality. The dark cloud in his mind lifted slightly.

Doctor Swart made his appearance just before eight. "And how are our brave musketeers feeling this morning?" he asked with a smile.

“We’re fine, thank you, Doctor,” replied Riaan. “When can I take this bloody thing off?” He patted the back brace.

“Not so fast, not so fast, young man. Your ribs are not even close to being healed yet. The brace will stay your best friend for at least the next three weeks.”

Riaan sighed. “The bloody thing is so uncomfortable, Doctor,” he complained.

“Yes, I know,” replied Dr. Swart, “it is uncomfortable, especially in this heat, but we need your ribs to heal properly. You just have to grin and bear it.”

He moved over to Johan’s bed. “How are you feeling this morning,” asked the doctor.

“Much better, thank you, Doctor. The headaches are nearly gone and I’m not so nauseous any more,” replied Johan.

“Hmm, you’re a fast healer, it seems. Let me just check a couple of things.”

After much prodding and shoving, the doctor finally declared Johan fit for discharge. Johan and Riaan each received a note, exempting them from drilling and physical exercise for a week, putting them on the so-called “light duty” list.

“I do have good news for you two”, said Doctor Swart. “It seems that Radio Jordaan is not as efficient as what it would like to make out”.

André’s face turned crimson.

“The powers that be have decided against prosecuting you lot. According to the Colonel there are mitigating circumstances and they are dropping the mutiny case against all of you. They will also not prosecute the RSM and his cronies.”

Doctor Swart’s distaste of the RSM was clearly evident. “Anyhow, the whole incident has never happened. You can of course take the matter further and sue the Defence Force for the injuries you sustained – I will gladly testify on your behalf. I have to warn you, however, that the Defence Force will not take kindly to that kind of action. I can assure you that your lives will be a living hell for the remainder of your National Service – our lords and masters do not take kindly to being exposed for the murdering and conniving bastards they are. I suggest you speak to your parents about the situation and then go see a really good lawyer before you do anything.”

Doctor Swart realised that his mouth had run away with him. “OK, I never said that. If the bosses discover I am sowing sedition, I will definitely be without employment, or worse.” He grinned ruefully.

“Now, if Radio Jordaan could see its way clear not to ruin the surprise, you guys can give your friends the good news in person,” smiled Doctor Swart.

“I don’t gossip. I really don’t know where you got that idea from, Doctor!” André bristled with righteous indignation.

Johan could not believe his ears. He had expected to be thrown out of the army at the very least. He had resigned himself to being locked up for the rest of his National Service. He had imagined his parents’ shame at their only son’s disgrace. They could make a fresh start now. The dark cloud lifted from his mind.

Two hours later, Johan and Riaan were dressed in new overalls and boots (their feet encased in two sets of new socks) – courtesy of the Sick Bay. They each had a sick note, confirming their light duty status, in the only pocket of the overalls and a smile on their faces.

“One would think that you are eager to return to Basics, the way you two are swaggering about,” complained André. “A bit of gratitude for our hard work in patching you up would be appreciated.”

“But you know we love you,” giggled Riaan. “Besides, it is your job to patch up the Heroes of the Republic who defend you from the evil Communists.”

André snorted indelicately. “Heroes of the Republic? Yeah right! More like rebels without a clue that got their just rewards – and then we are saddled with the consequences. What absolute bliss! We just love the extra work you lot caused us.”

“But you still love us, don’t you Mummy?” retorted Riaan. André snorted once more.

Finally, André stuck a bag of pain medication into each of their hands.

“Remember - light duty or not – you are to march to your bungalow. You are still supposed to be soldiers in training, not gentlemen of leisure. I’ll try to come visit after my shift tonight.”

Johan and Riaan set off for their bungalow.

Chapter 14 should be published by next weekend.
I apologise for the long hiatus, but life really intruded on the story.
Things have settled down somewhat, though, so I promise to try to adhere to the schedule :)
My editor disappeared off the face of the earth, so if there is anyone willing to edit, or act as a Beta reader, please drop me a line. All comments and critcism from readers will always be welcome as well.
Please drop me a line : christiaan.booyse@telkomsa.net
Regards,
Chris
Copyright © 2012 Chris Booyse; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..