Jump to content
    Dark
  • Author
  • 468 Words
  • 1,259 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction that combine worlds created by the original content owner with names, places, characters, events, and incidents that are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, organizations, companies, events or locales are entirely coincidental.
Authors are responsible for properly crediting Original Content creator for their creative works.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Stories in this Fandom are works of fan fiction. Any names or characters, businesses or places, events or incidents, are fictitious. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental. <br>

The Phantom - 10. Epilogue

~ The Phantom ~
Epilogue

Nico opened the mailbox and set a collection of letters inside, tied with a red, satin bow. He tucked a card in the middle, tugged at the ribbon another second, and then closed the mailbox.

Looking back over his shoulder, he gave Marcell a sad smile, nodded, and then stepped away, leaning heavily upon his crutches. Ever since waking up after the Lair, his gimp leg ached and did not want to bend and straighten properly.

Outside, he held onto the car door and looked back. Gerry's apartment suited the man, a little old-fashioned, but strong, and with much, much more on the inside than there appeared. It was beautiful, and Nico had no place there.

"Nico ...."

"Si, mi amico," he replied. "Si."

With a hop, he settled onto the seat and leaned out to close the door. When they drove away, he didn't look back.

~*~

Across town, in the dispatch office, a box arrived, addressed to "Coyote-who-runs-no-more." The dispatchers stared at the box all day, waiting until the taxi driver in question came in with his daily take. They clustered around him eagerly, for Coyote never received packages.

Instead of an invoice, there was a piece of stationary, saying simply, "Thank you for taking care of my friends." There was no signature.

~*~

Chris beamed and waved at the camera, holding a microphone and standing beside Mark Marshall, Channel 11 News, as they reported on the latest doings in the Supers-Watch.

Mark put his arm around the young man's shoulders, happy himself that life had finally gotten back to normal, as normal as it was before the Phantom, at any rate. Gerry gave him the thumbs-up sign, and Mark smile widened.

~*~

When Gerry returned home that night, he collected his mail as normal, but stopped when he saw the bow. Beyond curious, he set his bag down and eased the ribbon away. The letters, he saw, were from the IRS and he panicked a moment before he opened the first one and saw that he held a check, for about five hundred dollars. There was a letter, too, one of those form letters couched in so much jargon as to be all but impossible to understand.

Flipping through the business-sized envelopes, he dropped the small card and had to retrieve it from the floor. Placing the letters back in the mailbox, he eased open the flap and pulled out a card with a picture of the Villain's Lair on the front. He smiled.

Inside, the Phantom's handwriting was still shaky and uneven, but Gerry could understand it:

"Hey, Bruce, I noticed you haven't cashed your check yet. Those things expire after a while, you know.

I highly recommend you hire an accountant.

Arrivederci,

the Phantom"

Copyright © 2011 Dark; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction that combine worlds created by the original content owner with names, places, characters, events, and incidents that are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, organizations, companies, events or locales are entirely coincidental.
Authors are responsible for properly crediting Original Content creator for their creative works.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Stories in this Fandom are works of fan fiction. Any names or characters, businesses or places, events or incidents, are fictitious. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental. <br>
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Well, the end is bittersweet... I like this story even if the ending is not happy all the way...

 

But it's a very good story!

Link to comment
On 06/29/2011 05:08 PM, Elezbed said:
Well, the end is bittersweet... I like this story even if the ending is not happy all the way...

 

But it's a very good story!

Thank you! :)
Link to comment

Well . . . and wasn't this just a big fun mess. :P I'm glad I took the time to read it.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..