Jump to content
    Dark
  • Author
  • 912 Words
  • 4,051 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction that combine worlds created by the original content owner with names, places, characters, events, and incidents that are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, organizations, companies, events or locales are entirely coincidental.
Authors are responsible for properly crediting Original Content creator for their creative works.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Dragonriders of Pern series was created by Ann McCaffrey in 1967 and spans 24+ books published by Ballantine Books, Atheneum Books, Bantam Books, and Del Rey Books.  Any recognizable content in this story is from Ann McCaffrey, Todd McCaffrey, Gigi McCaffrey or their representatives or inheritors.  <br> Original content provided by author of this FanFiction story without monetary compensation. <br>

The Seventh Wing - Prologue. My Notes

Not part of the story -- these are my notes.

These are notes for myself for my fan-fiction "The Seventh Wing."

"The Seventh Wing" is a fan-fiction based on Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern series. This is kind of an Alternate Universe, because this takes place shortly before the 4th Pass and there is no canon to base this on -- which is precisely why I chose it! :happyhappy:

I post these notes now in case what's written here might help understand the story as I start getting it posted. I shall reference this document in my comments for each section.

Disclaimer:
The World of Pern© is copyright to Anne McCaffrey 1967.
The Dragonriders of Pern® is a registered trademark.

Chars (most of the names were achieved through use of a random generator. Any similiarities to canon chars or other fics are unintentional. If you catch one, please let me know):

Weyrleader -- T'rar of bronze Rothangalth, middle-aged, gruff, but dependable. He came to the Weyr as the interim Weyrleader and has successfully won all three flights so far, keeping the Weyr on an even keel throughout its re-opening.

Wingseconds -- R'yak of bronze Dyndeleth & S'bil of bronze Arburath

Senior Weyrwoman -- Shalaya of gold Loranth
Junior Weyrwoman (retired) -- Malira of gold Oimorith

Wings:

Wings 2-4 consist one Flight; Wings 5-6 make up the other (and will include J'day's wing, Wing 7, when it is formed). wings listed numerically, for simplicity, with the Weyrleader's wing being the wing 1. In the story, all wings are 'named' by the name of their leader (H'jes' wing, R'dan's wing, etc.).

Wing 2: Wingleader & Flightleader H'jes of bronze Kimulth
wingseconds: S'rur of bronze Perkinoth & V'tos of brown Toryth

Wing 3: Wingleader R'dan of bronze Tiageonth
Wingseconds: H'ryc of brown Imalth & K'len of brown Henth

Wing 4: Wingleader B'len of bronze Ocaraloth
Wingseconds: L'cal of brown Leath & F'tash of brown Chiath

Wing 5: Wingleader & Flightleader D'cor of bronze Howarath
Wingseconds: N'ach of bronze Rakrodath & T'skel of brown Kimetenth (plus J'day while in training)

Wing 6: Wingleader P'ir of bronze Adverith
Wingseconds: N'set of brown Esoth & R'lis of brown Hinoth

Wing 7: Wingleader J'day of bronze Gibbrenth
Wingseconds: R'dan of brown Motreth & G'roth of brown Nelth

Weyrlingmaster: N'tom of brown Zhomath
Headwoman: Shurral
Weyr Healers: Okato (humans only, overall in charge) & Everin (specialty, dragons)
Weyr Harper: Hidai

Other Chars:

Joreena, 'Reena,' Fort, Green Kelyrth's rider, J'day's birth mother, apprentice healer/counselor
D'toras, 'Tor,' Fort, Brown Eacheth's rider, J'day's best friend, approximately 29 turns old, same weyrling class as J'day, also a weyrbrat, former lovers & weyrmates
Roniel, 'Roni,' Fort, Green Arlith's rider, friend of J'day, D'toras
V'kal, Fort, Blue Saminth's rider, special friend of Roni, friend of J'day

N'valen, High Reaches Weyrleader, bronze Mildath's rider
L'mora, Fort Weyrleader, bronze Tashonith's rider

Misc Notes:

Igen Weyr was abandoned some time before the Third Pass, during a bad drought. Their last queen died, and the remaining riders were integrated into Telgar Weyr (ref. Pern Wiki & Dragonsblood)

The Weyr was re-constituted sometime between the Third and Sixth Pass. (ref. Pern Wiki) --> I decided, for the fan-fic, that the Dragonriders re-settled Igen Weyr in turn 721 (~ 37 turns before the 4th Pass), as the dragon population had expanded enough to warrant expansion (in anticipation of the coming pass).

The first Hatching at the re-settled Igen Weyr took place in the turn 723, yielding 23 dragonets (no queen). The second Hatching took place 5 turns later in 728, yielding 35 dragonets, including a queen whose rider took over as Senior Weyrwoman after her queen's first mating flight in turn 731. The other Weyrwoman has effectively retired; however is still an advisor. Her queen no longer rises to mate. The third Hatching took place at the end of turn 731, yielding only 19 dragonets.

Main events of story to begin in late winter of 733 (~ 25 turns before the beginning of the 4th Pass). --> hmm, I've somehow messed up my timing here. The story is supposed to start 5 years after Lioleth's hatching, so that would be the winter of turn 736. I don't think that changes anything .... Aah! I'm such a dork, never mind. :sly:

J'day (Jorday) was born in turn 706 at Fort Weyr (son of Greenrider Joreena, father assumed to be her long-time weyrmate, Healer Journeyman Linday). He was fostered by one of the Weyr staff, Ada. He Impressed at the age of 12 to bronze Gibbrenth.

F'rian (Florian) was born in turn 709 at Igen Hold. He Impressed, during the second Hatching at Igen, green Lioleth at the age of 19. Prior to that, he was a foot messenger, a long-distance runner based out of Igen Hold's Runner Station. He lived in Igen's caverns for the holdless until being accepted as a runner.

A Wing is made up of thirty-three dragons (max during a pass). This includes two Wingseconds and a Wingleader. (ref. Pern Wiki) Full fighting strength for a Weyr is considered to be 10 Wings (ref. Pern Wiki & The Dragonlover's Guide to Pern).

At this time in my fan-fic, Igen has 6 wings of 25 dragons each (J'day's wing makes 7), a total of ~ 150 fighting dragons (this is approximately half-strength for Igen). We'll say 10% are off the active-duty roster at any one time, due to pregnancies, injury, illness, etc. Currently, the wings are split into 2 flights (of 3 wings each) plus the Weyrleader's wing.

References:

works by Anne McCaffrey (books & short stories) in the Dragonriders of Pern series
Pern Wiki
Sariel's Guide
PernMUSH

©1967-2022 Ann McCaffrey, Todd McCaffrey, Gigi McCaffrey; All Rights Reserved; Dark 2008. The World of Pern© is copyright to Anne McCaffrey 1967. The Dragonriders of Pern® is a registered trademark.
  • Like 9
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction that combine worlds created by the original content owner with names, places, characters, events, and incidents that are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, organizations, companies, events or locales are entirely coincidental.
Authors are responsible for properly crediting Original Content creator for their creative works.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Dragonriders of Pern series was created by Ann McCaffrey in 1967 and spans 24+ books published by Ballantine Books, Atheneum Books, Bantam Books, and Del Rey Books.  Any recognizable content in this story is from Ann McCaffrey, Todd McCaffrey, Gigi McCaffrey or their representatives or inheritors.  <br> Original content provided by author of this FanFiction story without monetary compensation. <br>
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..