Jump to content
    Dion
  • Author
  • 777 Words
  • 3,773 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Mind Over Matter - 1. Chapter 1

“Joe!” Mr. Dawson hollered from the back room. I set down my broom and took a deep breath before yelling back. Mr. D is getting on in years and he’s a little deaf.

“Yeah, Mr. D?”

“Joe,” he repeated. “Did you place that magazine order today like I told you to?”

I made my way through the bookshelves until I got to his office door. “Yeah, Mr. D,” I replied. “Right after you gave me the sheet.”

“Well, where is it?” he snapped, rummaging through the piles of papers on his desk. “I don’t see it.” If the Arbor Foundation could see the mounds of crap my boss has hoarded on his desk, they’d faint.

Shaking my head, I wove through stacks of books and files until I got to the back wall. From there I inched my way past his chair to another abnormally tall stack of stuff, which I picked up and dropped – carefully – on the floor. Mr. D’s office looked like a mess, but he usually knew where everything was. Unless, of course, someone else touched it. I’d have to put it all back when I was done. Underneath the lot was an old fax machine. I reached into the feeder tray and pulled out the page he was looking for. “Here,” I said. “I faxed it already.”

“Damn well better have,” Mr. D said irritably, snatching it away from me. “Aren’t you supposed to be sweeping?”

I picked up the stack I’d moved, set it back on the fax machine and threaded my way out of the office. There wasn’t any point in answering him, I knew. We’d just get into a fight, say a bunch of stuff we didn’t really mean, he’d fire me, I’d storm out and we’d be back together to open the store in the morning. If I kept my mouth shut, I wouldn’t have to freeze my ass off tonight. I live over the store. If he gets pissed at me, he can turn down the heat.

I’ve been working in Mr. D’s bookstore for about a year now. He seemed like a grouchy old man – and he was – but he was basically a good guy. Better than most. Hell, probably better than all of them. When I first walked into his store all that time ago after seeing a sign in the window saying ‘help wanted’, his attitude took me by surprise.

“You gonna rip me off?” he asked, when I told him I was there to apply for the job.

“No sir.”

He stared at me over his glasses for a second and then asked, “What the hell do you know about books?”

I stared right back at him and said, “I know I like them a hell of a lot better than people.”

He smiled then. “Damn right,” he muttered. “Let’s go in the office.”

My interview lasted all of an hour. At the end of it all, he handed me a form (where he got it from, I never found out. His office was a hell-hole even then) and told me to fill it out. When I got to the part of the application form that asked if I knew of anything that might affect my ability to work, I tossed the pen down and sat back in my chair with a sigh.

“All done?” he asked, reaching for the paper. I waited, tension crawling up my spine and tugging the hair at the back of my neck, while he read my responses.

I gotta give the old man credit. He didn’t say much, just lifting his eyebrows once or twice. When he was through he set the paper down and looked at me. “You didn’t finish it,” he said. That was all.

“No,” I replied. I knew I wasn’t going to get the job. In a minute, he would too.

“Why not?”

I didn’t answer right away. He took off his glasses and waited. At last I said, “I’m homosexual.”

I braced myself. Back when I was younger and realized I was gay, I’d done some snooping around on the internet. I’d read all the stories about guys like me – good home, loving parents, average kid, well-liked – and knew that if my secret ever got out, I’d be okay. I’d also read the information websites on ‘coming to terms with your sexuality’, STDs and the rest. I thought then that I’d make it through alright if it ever got out that I was gay. I had a good family, good friends and a good school. My support system was in place.

I was an idiot.

Disclaimer: The following story contains references to a relationship that is homosexual in nature. If this offends you, or if this is not legal where you live, you should not read this story. This is a work of fiction. Any resemblance to persons or events – past or present – is purely coincidental. <br /><br />The author claims all copyright to this story and no duplication or publication is permitted, except by the web site to which it has been posted (gayauthors.org) without written consent of the author or site administrators.
  • Like 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..