Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Aglanthol 1 - The Legend of Khaalindaan - 6. Chapter 6

Qildor was on his way to the royal stables when suddenly a figure stepped in his way. Qildor recognized the wizard Neldor. The wizard looked at him suspiciously. Qildor gave him a quizzical look.

"I heard you are travelling north again," the wizard said.

"Rumours spread quickly," Qildor replied.

"Why are you so eager to go there again? Do you really want to fight the Khalindash or do you rather want to seek the secret place and retrieve Norlorn's sword yourself?" Neldor asked. "I warn you," he continued. "The spirit of Khaalindaan is dangerous. Do not miscomprehend. Not the man Khaalindaan is banned by the sword. That man is long since dead. The mighty wizard of the Bre transformed his vital energy into a highly destructive force. This energy lives on pure hatred and thirsts for revenge."

Qildor narrowed his eyes. He studied the wizard.

"Apparently you did not tell me all you know. Go on," he said in a brusque voice.

The wizard gave him a cold look.

"Norlorn was a mighty wizard as well. But even his abilities were limited. He was able to ban the destructive energy with his sword. He drove the sword into the ground and thus sealed the ban. Once you retrieve the sword, the energy is released and will thirst for blood and revenge," Neldor said.

Qildor gave a nod.

"Norlorn also sealed the place with the sword from sight. No one can find the place because it is invisible," Neldor continued. "But, like I said, Norlorn’s abilities were limited. He did the best he could. And that was much. He sealed the place for a thousand years. Back then everybody thought that Khaalindaan’s spirit would be banned for all time. A thousand years sounds like eternity to mortal men."

Norlorn and Qildor exchanged a long look. Qildor felt a shiver run down his spine. He had already understood before the wizard told him the fact.

"The thousand years are over," Neldor said in a grave voice.

He gave Qildor another meaningful look.

"The secret place will soon be visible to the eye again. This is what I suspect, at least. The Khalindash have already crossed the frontier. But those attacks are only fake attacks. In reality, I think, they explore the country. In spring, the Khalindash will be back and attack in full force. They want the sword before anybody else can retrieve it," Neldor said.

Qildor studied the wizard. He was thinking.

"You think they have gathered an army?" he asked.

Neldor shrugged.

"I doubt they have. I suspect, however, that a man, a wizard maybe, joined the Clan of Khalindash. He must know of the legend and he must know of the truth. He must know that the spell is restricted and that soon will come the time and chance for retrieving the sword. I suspect that he told the Khalindash that he acts for their benefit. I suspect that he rather uses the Khalindash for his own advantage. I could imagine that, once he has the sword, he will leave the clan and disappear," he said.

"Wouldn’t it be better for this man to operate in secrecy?" Qildor asked. "Why involve the Khalindash? Why attract attention from the king of Aglanthol?"

Neldor shrugged.

"His motives are not yet clear to me. The Khalindash believe him, apparently. They strive for the land they originated from. They strive for their homeland. That’s how he got them probably," Neldor said.

Neldor looked into the distance. He watched a crow land on a windowsill. He turned his eyes back to Qildor.

"There is one more thing. It is the most important perhaps," he said. "Like I said, the spirit of Khaalindaan is a destructive energy that lives on hatred and thirsts for revenge. This revenge has a target, an ultimate goal. Khaalindaan did not only force his emotions into the energy. He also forced his willpower into it. He wanted to destroy Aglanthol and kill as many men before he himself would fall."

"But Norlorn stopped him," Qildor said calmly.

Neldor nodded.

"The energy has not yet completed its mission. It will do so, however, once it is released," he said.

"Can nobody stop it?" Qildor asked.

"Stop the man who is looking for the sword. Kill him," Neldor said coldly. "One danger less. But it will not solve the problem. The place will be visible to the eye soon. Any peasant could retrieve the sword then."

The wizard sounded alarmed. He looked almost fear-struck. Qildor’s face turned pale.

"Aglanthol is doomed for ruin if we do not find a way to finally stop the energy," Qildor stated the fact.

Neldor nodded.

"Any peasant could retrieve the sword. The energy would possess the man and then work on Aglanthol’s ruin. The worse if the energy possessed a man with magic skills. Kill this man," Neldor repeated.

"What if the energy possessed a simple man? If that man was killed, would the energy then vanish?" Qildor asked.

"I am not sure," Neldor said. "It wants to complete its mission. And I’m not sure you can just kill it off. I need to investigate," he said in an urgent voice.

He looked at the tower, and then turned his eyes back to Qildor.

"Where can I find you? I will travel north as soon as I have found the solution," he said.

"The village of Tanmil," Qildor said. "Ask for Magath. I will stay with him."

The wizard studied Qildor for a moment. Then a faint smile came to his lips.

"I can see your motives more clearly now," he said. "The legend was just an excuse. But now you have to live with the consequences. Do never forget. It all comes back to you."

Neldor’s eyes narrowed at his own words. He turned around abruptly and headed for the tower. Qildor looked after him, and then hurried to the royal stables.

~~**~~

2012 Dolores Esteban
  • Like 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..