Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Aglanthol 1 - The Legend of Khaalindaan - 22. Chapter 22

Winter Solstice had come and with it the longest night of the year. The people in the north of Aglanthol celebrated that night. Winter Solstice was the birthday of the sun and of the year. Within the time of greatest darkness, the light of the world was reborn. The hours of daylight would begin to grow and the hours of darkness would lessen. The holiday went back to ancient times. It was a time of rejoicing and thanksgiving and a time of hope. The beauty and the truth of the light was remembered and honoured. People usually celebrated the day with their loved ones. The celebration started with a festive meal in the evening. Candles were lit and placed in the windows. The families sat in front of the fireplace after dinner and they sang songs together and told each other old legends of the darkness that once had fallen upon the land and stories of the brave men and women who left their villages and went in search of the light. There were many variations of the story.

Gwyn had invited Magath to her house. They would celebrate together and hold up the tradition. Gwyn had cooked potato soup and she had roasted a chicken on a spot. She had baked bread and biscuits. And Magath had prepared strong hot grog.

They finished their opulent meal. Magath changed the candles in the windows and Gwyn pushed the table and the chairs closer to the fireplace. She put a plate with biscuits on the table. Magath poured them grog. And then they exchanged their gifts. Magath had carved a bowl like he had promised and Gwyn had knitted a pair of socks. They smiled at each other as they exchanged their presents. Then they looked into the fire for a while, eating a biscuit now and then and sipping their grog.

"I won’t sing a song," Gwyn said finally. "I’m not a good singer."

Magath gave a laugh.

"I won’t sing a song either, Mistress Gwyn. But how about you tell a story? Don’t you think it’s about time we start with it again? You’re a good storyteller."

Gwyn laughed. She nodded at Magath.

"You are right, Magath. Winter Solstice is the best time of the year for telling stories. But, I guess, you know all the stories about Winter Solstice."

"Never mind, Mistress Gwyn. Please, tell me your favourite story," Magath said.

Gwyn made herself more comfortable. Magath also shifted his position. And then the old woman started her story.

"Once upon time, a splendid light shone upon the land in summer and winter. The light was bright and it filled the hearts of the people with joy. But as time went by, people got accustomed to the ever-shining light. They took it for granted and acknowledged it less and lesser. The light faded over time. But people did not realize. They were so absorbed in their daily habits and in their selfish dreams and goals that they gave the fading light no thought. Only a few watched with worry what happened. But even those did not interfere.

The centuries went by and the light shone only in summer. It faded in autumn and was almost gone in winter. Winter had become a dark and cold time. And with that change, people had changed also. Many grew sad and depressed when the light faded in autumn. Many suffered during the long and cold winter days. They blamed each other for their depression. And thus people grew angry and became mad at each other. They quarrelled and many even waged war.

At that time, an old wizard sat alone in his tower. He had lived a long life and he knew he had almost walked his path to its end. He pondered on his life and he pondered on what he had gained and on what he had lost. And he found that what he regretted most was that he had lost the light in his heart and with it his genuine love.

Love is what keeps us alive and draws us to each other. When there is no love, then there is no light, and people’s souls are dark and their hearts are cold and people’s eyes are blind.

The wizard was a wise man. He saw that what had happened to him had happened to all mankind. The light in the outside world had faded because the light and the love in the hearts of the people had faded. Once people had been innocent and their hearts had been filled with joy. They had been like very young children who see the light shine everywhere.

The wizard felt an immense grief. And he swore he would not leave this world without bringing back a bit of the light, even if it was just a spark. He thought that if he was able to light the flame in his heart again, then perhaps the light and the love would spread in the world again. He decided to look for the light.

The wizard was a mighty wizard. He was a gifted magician. He had many skills. And he had experienced a lot. He decided to travel to the source of the splendid light that once shone upon the land. And so he travelled back in time.

He was almost blinded when he opened his eyes. The splendid light that was shining in the beginning of time was so bright that the wise man was not able to see anything for a while. But his eyes slowly adjusted. And then he took in the splendour until his heart was entirely filled with glee and joy. The wise man shed tears and he wept for joy. And when he felt he could not take in anymore, he travelled back to where he had come from. The world was dark and cold. It was the longest night of the year. It was the night of Winter Solstice.

The wizard put candles in the windows of his tower. And the light shone far over the country. The people gathered in front of the tower and gazed up to the many flames in the windows. Then the wise man opened the door and stepped out. He was filled with so much love and happiness. The energy radiated from his heart and touched the souls of the people. Each of them absorbed a bit of the light from the beginning of time. They absorbed the light that the wise man had brought with him. And then the wizard told them his story. The people felt love and peace in their hearts. They hurried home to spread the light and the love and they told the wizard’s story to their families.

From that time on, Winter Solstice has been a holiday that people celebrate with their loved ones. We place candles in the windows in memory of the wise man and his selfless deed. We sit in front of the fireplace and we acknowledge the fire and the light. And we share our love and happiness with our loved ones."

Gwyn fell silent. Magath let out a sigh.

"Beautiful, Mistress Gwyn. I love this story."

Gwyn smiled at Magath. She filled the plate with more biscuits and Magath poured them more grog. They told each other more stories until midnight had come. The longest night of the year would soon come to an end. The hours of daylight would begin to grow and the hours of darkness would lessen. Within the time of greatest darkness, the light of the world was reborn.

Magath left and went back to his place. He went to bed and he fell asleep instantly. Dawn had already come when he awoke. Magath blinked and looked at the ceiling. He felt happy. A new day had come.

He was distracted by a knock at the door. Magath turned his head and listened. There was another knock. Magath wondered who had come to his house early in the morning. He rose to his feet and wrapped a blanket around his body, and then he opened the door. Magath did not believe his eyes. He just gazed at the man for a few seconds. His heart beat faster. Magath realized that his heart jumped with joy. A smile appeared on his face and it broadened quickly. The darkest time of his life was finally gone.

Qildor stood outside and smiled at him.

 

 

THE END

 

 

 

 

End of Aglanthol 1

Aglanthol 2 – Side Stories – posted

tbc Aglanthol 3 – The Castle of Saelethiel (The Law Cannot Be Shaken)

 

 

 

 

 

 

2012 Dolores Esteban
  • Like 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

What a great love story. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Now I have to explore your others. I must apologize for not commenting on every chapter. But if I stopped to comment it would delay the next chapter and I just couldn't!

 

Thanks so much for sharing your gift.

Link to comment
On 02/17/2014 06:34 AM, ricky said:
What a great love story. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Now I have to explore your others. I must apologize for not commenting on every chapter. But if I stopped to comment it would delay the next chapter and I just couldn't!

 

Thanks so much for sharing your gift.

Thank you for your encouraging review. I'm very happy you enjoyed the story. :)
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..