Jump to content
    Drak
  • Author
  • 474 Words
  • 494 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Variations on Death - 1. The Sigel

After my friends had gone to sleep, I walked into the dark woods, because I knew what was waiting there and wished to parley with it. A fell voice that I recognized called unto me. Although I was afraid before, I was not afraid this time, because the old hermit had prepared me. In the darkness, I stood with my arms folded, head bowed, eyes closed, because the thing that spoke to me could not be seen with mortal eyes. Perhaps it perceived the change in me or had been forewarned, because in a syrupy tone of appeasement, the thing purred, “Pray, what do you desire? Is it power? Power over men, power over nature, power over life and death. Surely you want power, mortal.”

I laughed and felt the air around me grow colder, because the thing did not like being mocked, but I did not care and did not mind the cold. I waited in silence, smiling, my eyes still closed, but I was well aware of the space around me and began to see with my third eye the thing in front of me, a vague shape at first, becoming clearer, the small minion of a greater one, a messenger no doubt. Still I waited, inviting it to attack, if it so desired. At the moment of my own choosing, but not before, I replied, "Everyone wants power, that much is true, but I already have what is needed.”

There was a long pause as the Shadow weighed my words, which had in them a warning, even a threat, but could possibly be dismissed as mortal arrogance. Then the voice spoke again. “If not power, then knowledge. Would you learn the secrets of the world? My master sees much of what was, what is, and what is yet to pass. You know this.”

“He lied to me about the Morning Star. It is not accursed, but brings light to the hidden things of darkness. Now I know the truth. I do not like liars.”

I perceived it lunging toward me. Parley was over. Now was the question of life or death. Opening my left hand, I revealed the fresh and painful Sigel burned into it by Mustafa. Brilliant white light surrounded me and surrounded the Shadow in mid-air. I cried, "Light spans alpha and omega and all the points in between. I am joined into the light, and there is no end to me and no beginning. Come to me, you will be my servant now.”

And so the Shadow merged into the light, and the light shone ever brighter, until I closed my hand, and then the woods were dark and quiet again. Turning, I walked back to camp. Now I had a messenger of my own as well as a guide to lead me to my enemy.

###
End.
Copyright © 2015 Drak; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 1
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..