Jump to content
    Drak
  • Author
  • 232 Words
  • 445 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Variations on Death - 9. The Suicide

In his final moments, the forces of darkness made such a deafening din that he could no longer hear anything beautiful. Fleeing from real or imagined terrors, he turned at last to Death, the one magic all mortals can make, but only once. We may extinguish our light, but then there is darkness, and from the darkness, there is no return.

He sleeps the long sleep. Blessed silence prevails, as he had imagined before his final act. In the Fortress of his Sepulchre, no longer does he dread the arrows of Shame and Humiliation. No longer does he suffer the crushing hammer of Despair and the piercing sword of Sorrow. The dandelion by his grave sighs, "If only he had learned to use a shield."

The price was steep. From his chosen path, there is no return. Oh, no, he does not perceive the silence. He does not know the peace. He is not he anymore, but no one and nothing. His body has returned to the soil and become one with the earth.

All that matters now are the ones left behind. He harmed not his enemies, but his friends that showed him kindness and wanted him to remain a part of their world. His friends say that the world seems dimmer without him. Some will never understand, but even among the few that do, none approve the deed.

Copyright © 2015 Drak; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..