Jump to content
    DynoReads
  • Author
  • 423 Words
  • 653 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Moments in Time - 5. Goldfish & Flat tires

Unlike the other moments in this story collection, this story is a real memories, raw and unedited. A friend passed away on 9/4/14 after a short but furious fight with some nasty bacteria. The best of my memories of Papa Muck....

When I was very young, my dad took my older brother fishing. They caught 3 comet goldfish. silver with orange spots all over. Not the little bitty things you keep in a bowl. Nope, the smallest of the fish was 12 inches, the largest, closer to 18 inches. My brother was upset, he wanted to let the fish go. He didn’t understand that the fish were already dead. Mom and Dad argued over whether or not they were goldfish or carp, and if you could eat goldfish.

 

My dad gutted the three fish, wrapped the fish in plastic wrap, and put them on a shelf in the deep freezer. We never got around to eating them. Possibly because they looked too much like the fish in the bowl by Dad’s chair, or maybe because Dad was allergic to fish. But every time someone had to get something from the deep freeze, the goldfish were staring back.

 

I made a new friend in high school, Chris, who had a Commodore Computer. His house quickly became my friends’ and my favorite hang out. His dad, Papa Muck, loved to fish, loved to have fish fries, and loved to feed his sons’ friends. So I ate a lot of what I thought was catfish. It was pretty good too.

 

One day I was coming back from babysitting for some fishermen when I blew a tire. I managed to manhandle the spare tire out of the trunk, and got the bumper jack set and ready to lift the car. I just couldn’t get the lug nuts loose, and I tried every trick my driver’s ed teacher taught us. I was thinking I would have to walk home and have dad get someone to help when a familiar car pulls up behind me.

Papa Muck got out to see why I’m pulled over. He looked at the blown tire and pointed out that the spare was flat too. He loaded the spare in the trunk, and had me get in. I could call Dad from his house to find out what he wanted to do about the flat spare. And we could have a fish fry.

 

I climbed into the back seat next to a big bucket, which held that days' catch. I was curious what the catfish I’d been eating for years looked like so I peeked into the bucket. Peering back at me were large goldfish!


In Memory of JAR, aka Papa Muck, you knew how to make tasty carp.

Unlike the other moments in this story collection, this story is a real memories, raw and unedited. A friend passed away on 9/4/14 after a short but furious fight with some nasty bacteria. The best of my memories of Papa Muck....
Copyright © 2014 DynoReads; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I'm not a big fan of eating fish but now you mentioned carps look like big goldfish, I'm not sure I wanna try it again :P

Link to comment
On 09/09/2014 01:09 PM, nostic said:
I'm not a big fan of eating fish but now you mentioned carps look like big goldfish, I'm not sure I wanna try it again :P
Goldfish are a type of carp. They aren't usually eaten as they are pretty tasteless, and generally small.
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..