Jump to content
    DynoReads
  • Author
  • 901 Words
  • 1,020 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Moments in Time - 1. Stormy waters

After a storm of harassment at work, a man comes home to a very different storm

I can't believe that jerk. Just because his cousin saw me in a gay bar, he doesn't want to work on the MainStreet Project with me? At least the team splits next week and I won't have to deal with him any longer. If only I can put up with his snide remarks until then...It seems a bit dark for 6, maybe there is a storm brewing? I hope so.

Pulling into my parking spot, I watched the wind whipping the tree leaves for a bit. I shut off the engine and hurried into the house. As soon as I was in the door I grabbed the TV remote and tuned to NOAA's channel. Anxiously I read the scroll on the bottom. Then I heard it! The announcer just warned of a small craft advisory, waves 8 feet!

I raced to the bedroom, throwing my work clothes off as fast as I could. Cutoff shorts, old tee shirt, thick socks, and my boot....

Where are my boots? A fast scan of the room revealed nothing. The laundry room, I left them drying in the laundry room! I laughed and raced for them. The branches beat against the roof and walls, urged me to hurry. I pulled on my boots, grabbed a rain coat and my keys and I was off.

A neighbor at her kitchen window smiled and waved as I walked by, clearly thinking I was nuts to be outside in the approaching storm. A soft chuckle escaped me as leaves torn from their branches danced down the street. As I neared the end of the block, my pace picked up, almost running now.

Ah there is the path!

I slipped through a small copse of trees to the farmer's access road beyond. The upper branches of the huge lotus trees bent toward the ground in the storm's fury. A caricature of a peasant bowing before royalty.

Maybe this storm is too bad? I paused, listening and looking. Should I turn back? Faintly I heard the roar of the waves calling me, luring me on. I crossed the dirt road and tread on the far edge, laughing at my self. I was scared of the tree branches, as if they could reach down, grab me, and fling me into the storm.

There! There is the wood post that marks the old walk to the beach. I darted into the trees and down the wooden stairs. I reached the last remaining step and slowed down. I grabbed tree branches and boulders as I climbed down to the stream. It had swollen over its bank, the lake surge already flowed upstream. I heard the waves even louder here. I climbed up the last hill, just around that corner I'll see the lake!

At the top I stopped. A tree had fallen and was blocking my way. I could hear the lake roaring its anger, but I couldn't see it! Slowly and carefully I examined the tree. I didn't want the tree to fall further when I was under it or over it. The top seemed to be firmly wedged between two trees on the other creek bank. The bottom of the trunk was on the ground, roots reaching out like dirty fingers. It shouldn't go anywhere. Carefully I clambered onto the trunk and froze!

The waves surged toward the beach, angrily tossing their white hair. They crashed against the cliff, and roared. The wind carried the smell of rotting fish off the lake, overpowering the green wood smell of the tree I perched on. Each wave stormed in, crashed over the non-existent beach, and retreated. A blood red sun, crouched low in the sky observed quietly.

A small block of clay broke off the cliff and fell.. A greedy wave pulled it toward the lake. The next wave screamed and grabbed the clay, flinging it back against the cliff. Two little kids who squabbled over a toy!

A quick scan of the skies showed no looming storm clouds. A large wave rewarded my inattention by sending up a fine mist. I laughed as the spray hits my face, safe on my perch high above the beach. Each wave took away my tension with its assault on the cliff. Time does not exist here, the sun, the wind and myself were silent witnesses to the battle between waves and cliff.

A seagull cried. I was surprised, they don't like to fly in high winds. Looking for the gull, I noticed the waves are smaller. The storm was ending.

There! There is the gull. It struggled against the wind, scanning the foamy waves, hoping for a meal. I saw the wind pushed the gull backward and its wings beat frantically to move forward.

Suddenly the gull dove. For a long moment I watched anxiously. Did the gull catch something? Did it misjudge and get caught by a wave? There it was, a huge fish in its beak. The gull turned, using the wind to glide home. The roar was noticeably quieter. Glancing down I noticed the waves no longer beat against the cliff. A few inches of beach were visible. The sun dipped into the lake and turned the waves rosy. I slid off the log away from the lake, wincing as the rough bark scraped my calf. I began the long, slippery climb back up the cliff to go home.

My thanks to ComicFan who betaed/edited this chapter. Any remaining grammatical errors or plot problems are mine.
Copyright © 2014 DynoReads; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 10
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 06/21/2014 11:05 AM, joann414 said:
Quite a set up here and the imagery is great! Can't wait to read more. :)
I'm sorry to disappoint you. There isn't any more to this "moment". Although there will be other moments some day.
Link to comment

I thought your character was nuts, but then watching a storm that way was totally worth it. Waiting eagerly for more moments. :)

Link to comment
On 06/24/2014 08:16 PM, nostic said:
I thought your character was nuts, but then watching a storm that way was totally worth it. Waiting eagerly for more moments. :)
I don't think the wait for the next moment will be too long. Thanks for reading.
Link to comment

Very vivid description of your character battling against the storm. I'm interested to see where this is leading.

Link to comment
On 06/25/2014 10:00 PM, Bill W said:
Very vivid description of your character battling against the storm. I'm interested to see where this is leading.
We battle against many storms in our lives. Some are only powerful because we make them so. Thanks for the review.
Link to comment
On 06/25/2014 10:00 PM, Bill W said:
Very vivid description of your character battling against the storm. I'm interested to see where this is leading.
We battle against many storms in our lives. Some are only powerful because we make them so. Thanks for the review.
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..