Jump to content
    Fantasyboy69
  • Author
  • 8,891 Words
  • 2,541 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction that combine worlds created by the original content owner with names, places, characters, events, and incidents that are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, organizations, companies, events or locales are entirely coincidental.
Authors are responsible for properly crediting Original Content creator for their creative works.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Stories in this Fandom are works of fan fiction. Any names or characters, businesses or places, events, or incidents are fictitious. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental. Recognized characters, events, and incidents belong to Nickelodeon Studios <br>

Scorched Earth - 1. Chapter 1

Being alive during the time of Avatar Aang was something I will never forget. The entire world had been at war against the Fire Nation and their reign of terror, the Avatar seemingly lost to the world, and then the great battle between the Fire Lord and the Avatar...it was something I am glad passed me by. For the most part. Having been born in the Fire Nation I was constantly bombarded by the fanatical talk of the times that we were superior to the other nations. The Air Benders had all died, until Aang resurfaced after his hundred year sleep, so they were meant to be gone having been destroyed by Fire Lord Sozin. The Water Tribes were scattered and few so they were no threat to us and easily removed on the whim of the great Fire Lord Ozai. Even the mighty Earth Kingdom would fall to the flames eventually.

I hated every moment of it all. I knew that when I started Fire Bending I would be enlisted into the armies of the Fire Nation, a fate I did not want. Why were we superior when all we did was kill what we did not find scurrying out of our path? That's not superiority but stupidity as the entire world learned when Avatar Aang resurfaced and defeated Ozai. I was put through the same schooling as the rest, subjected to the same lies, and given the same Bending training as everyone else. My mother saw fit to give me a name after a very famous general. He was called the Dragon of the West and being named after him was an honor. An honor since I was touched by the Flame, being the only person I know to have fire red hair. Mother named me Iroh.

Seeing all this injustice, all this wrong, ate at me and I knew I had to get out before I died both physically in the war and emotionally before it. So I waited, and watched and learned. Unable to hide the fact I could Fire Bend, I hid behind the front that I was no good at it. I am grateful to this day everyone thought I was bad too. I mean everyone knew fire was red and orange and yellow...or if you were the royal princess blue. My flames are white and therefore I must be unable to Bend well. You shall see just how wrong they were.

I was fifteen when Prince Zuko was beaten by his own father during an Agni Kai, forever scarred and cast out. That would be sign to leave as well for what kind of monster would do that to his own son? So I slipped away one day with a group of merchants traveling to the southern part of the Fire Nation, blending in so long as I kept my hood up and my head down. Other than my hair I'm about as average as one can look and easy to forget. No one noticed I was gone for days and by then I was gone for good into the mountains of the Fire Nation and hoping against hope to find some way to leave this forsaken place behind me. Food was easily come by as I could hunt and track with the best of them. Shelter was not so easy but then I was young and full of hot blood to keep me warm and if that was not enough I could always make a small fire.

I spent a few months alone in a tiny cave, daring only to leave for food, water, and to practice my Bending. My Bending became my life and I went at it with one goal in mind: I would never go back to the Fire Nation even if the Fire Lord himself was the one in front of me. I knew the moves, the stances, the forms, but they were standard, expected. I needed something unexpected. So I practiced. Hours of study, experimenting, trials and many errors. Sad to say I failed repeatedly, but nothing would stop me from doing something new. Lightning was so easy for me, I was not one for the anger so common in those Fire Benders. It almost seemed to bend to my will. But Lightning was known and so people could expect it. I tried to find some new way to make fire, failed. Lighting was easier for me to manipulate and I could form a sword, or two, or even a whip, but again they were nothing unseen.

Then my luck and patience paid off. I was able to stow away on a ship bound for a Water Tribe village in the south. Hiding in it was easy for no one suspected I was anything other than what I was dressed as: a green recruit on his first mission. I knew all the ranks and forms and info needed, but I did not know I would soon fall victim to the harsh cruelty of the Fire Navy. The day started out like any other aboard the ship. I was about my chores, swabbing the deck as usual, when the Captain came on deck. I stopped to salute him and could not foresee that in doing so I would be punished. The captain slipped in the soapy water and landed pretty hard. "You idiot!" he raged but I stayed at attention. "You two, take him below and teach him some respect for his superiors." The two he ordered took my arms and dragged me below. "Can't even dry the deck as soon as he makes a pass."

I was bound and whipped. With Fire. One hundred lashed across my back, thighs and calves. I was not treated for the burns. After they were done one looked me in the eye and shook his head. I had not cried out, had not shed a tear, had not even flinched. "Can you even Bend, boy?"

"No sir." They shared a glance and left me there. Not long after there was a strong rocking to the ship and the alarms sounded an attack. I just hung my head and waited. The hull was pierced beside me by a spear of ice. Water Tribe had attacked and the ship would sink. Knowing this would be my last moment, I tried anything to loosen my bonds, but I got nowhere. I could not Bend bound as I was. There was a single chance I had. The torch still burned on the wall. Could I Bend the fire without my hands? I tried, oh how I tried, but I could not and the water filled the cell slowly. "Come on," I urged myself, but I could not Bend the fire. Another blow rocked the ship and the water sloshed to put out the torch. "Ah." It was all I could think to say. I was meant to die here. The water rose above my chest, stinging the lashes, and then my chin. Then my face. Then I drowned.

I woke face down atop furs in a hut. The air was crisp and cool and I was completely nude save for some bandaging. There was a fire burning low in a hearth but other than that there was no light. I could hear soft voices outside and they spoke of fishing the ice floes in winter. I could not easily sit up with the pain that suddenly hit my brain and I whimpered. All the talking stopped and a moment later the drape on the hut was pulled aside and an old woman came in dressed in the parkas of the Water Tribe. "Child, how do you feel?" Her face was wrinkled and chapped, but her eyes were kind.

"I hurt, but I live." I blushed furiously when I realized I was naked in front of a woman.

She smiled kindly. "That is the story of the times. Shall I find you something to cover yourself with?" I nodded. "Such a fine looking young man like you should not be so modest." She fetched a pair of light trousers. "May I ask what you were doing on the ship?" she asked while she slipped the trousers on me. I could not sit up, should not anyway with the burns still fresh.

"Being whipped for assaulting the Captain." It was true enough.

"Poor dear." She lowered her voice to the finest whisper. "Keep the fact that you are Fire Nation to yourself for now. Few would find the kindness to listen." I nodded my understanding. She was kind enough to understand and listen. "Might I have your name, child?"

"It's...Iroh."

"Such a strong name. Up with you now. Lets get you out of this hut for a spell, get you walking. If asked your name is Benar and you were a prisoner." She helped me up with a quiet strength I still find astonishing. "A handsom lad you are, Benar." I blushed again. "Such fair skin and such a crime to mark you so. There will be scarring, but I hope not much." There is scarring, and far more than she hoped.

"May I have your name? To thank you properly?" I stood a few inches taller than her and I was only average height for a young man soon to turn sixteen.

"You may call me Old Gran, since I am just that to everyone in my tribe. Any pain other than the obvious?"

"No. And thank you Old Gran. You saved my life." She touched my cheek and I flinched.

"Any life is worth saving. The Water and Moon spirits put you on that ship for a reason." She saw the flinch and I think she could see the memories of my father striking me for not being a better Bender. "You must be hungry."

"Got anything not cooked? I find the smell of burning meat...too familiar."

"I'm sure something can be found." Old Gran helped me out of the hut.

The entire tribe stared at me, at my pale skin, at my red hair. Then comments flew about the burns on my body and bets were made on how much scarring there would be. Why had I not died? To save myself from this scrutiny? My eyes dropped and I suddenly felt weary. "Be quiet, all of you," Old Gran said in a whip crack voice and all talking stopped. "How can you sit there and talk like this in Benar's face? Has he not had enough, being a prisoner of the Fire Nation?" I could not see all of them feel the shame for I was feeling mine all too keenly.

A pair of tiny feet came into my vision and I glanced up into the deep brown eyes of a girl maybe five years old. She tilted her head this way and that and then gingerly gave me a hug. At first I was ready to be hurt, but she was gentle and I gave a shuddering breath to stop the tears that threatened. I patted her head, unable to bend to give her a hug in return. Old Gran shooed her back to her mother and I was given a bowl of kelp and fresh caught fish yet to be cooked.

"An odd one to want it raw," said a lad about my age.

"Quiet Genki," chided a raven haired girl a year or two older. "Would you want something cooked?" He opened his mouth to say something and then shut it with a snap and then shook his head. "I'm Koko." She folded her hands in front of her.

"Benar," I said in a shy voice, eyeing the sneer on Genki's face.

"Don't mind him. He's being a big jerk." Genki stormed off. "How are you?" The concern was obvious in her voice.

"I'm alive and healing. I could not ask for more." Her smile was radiant and I could see she was a beauty.

"Well said."

I stayed with the Water Tribe for six months as I healed. I learned how to fish, to make nets and even some healing from Old Gran. I watched her Water Bend and studied the way she moved. It was so serene, so calm, so unlike anything I had seen at school. "You pay better attention than all of my pupils combined, Benar."

I smiled at the old lady who had become dear to me. "I have never seen anyone move like that. Do all Water Benders have such grace?" I looked around to make sure no one could hear me. "No one moved like that when I learned Bending." Her brows raised in question. "Yes, I am a Fire Bender."

"I see. And yes, Water Benders move this way. Like the tides we flow from one stance to the next. Come. You may not be able to Water Bend but it is still good excercise." My burns had all scarred over but I could still move just as well as before. I stood and followed her every move, clumsy at first but gaining fluidity.

"Look, Benar is learning to Water Bend a woman's way." I stopped and blushed.

"At least Benar learns something, Genki. When was the last time you could say that?" Old Gran leveled a look at the young man. Why did he hate me so much? He had his pick of any young lady from the tribe. A strong Water Bender himself, he was also handsome and strong.

"Whatever Old Gran," he said with a tone of disrespect.

"You should speak to your elders with more honor, Genki." I wish I could call the words back. I was upset for his words at me and even more for how he spoke to a woman I admired.

"And you should learn to keep your mouth shut." I saw him wave his hands and I moved without thinking, sliding through a form I had just learned and wound up dodging the water whip. I had to stop myself from Bending fire to retaliate, but I did stop.

"A woman's move to evade a boy's tantrum." Koko came out of the hut. "Go away, Genki, and leave him alone. Or would you like to see how women's forms can best yours?" He growled and stormed off. "Jerk."

"You did that very well, Benar. Would that someone be as studious." Old Gran smirked at Koko who turned a bit pinker.

"I would like more lessons when you have free time. I cannot Water Bend, but they are so nice to do, so free to move like that." Koko and Gran shared a smile.

"You can join Koko in her lessons. Maybe with someone so natural to dancing the forms she will try harder." Old Gran just laughed at her and I chuckled.

So I learned. I knew something would spark within me and I could feel my energies moving as I slid from form to form. It was as if my chi knew I was meant to learn this and was now ready to do something unheard of. Fire Bend using Water Bending techniques? It was so opposite, so unnatural, and so unexpected that I had to do something. So each time I could get away from the tribe I would go off on my own and practice my own Bending. Nothing fancy, just trying to see if I could find a way to use the Water way of defensive offense while using Fire. I was shirtless and sweating, dancing the forms newest to me, when I felt my energy surge and swirl from my hands. Not as fire really, but as something that would channel energy around me and back at the other person. I stopped with a grin. Then I scrambled to put on my shirt as I heard Koko calling for me.

"There you are. Why are you all alone out here?"

"Working up a sweat." I finished pulling on my shirt.

"Still self conscious of the burns?" I nodded. I was too. Only Old Gran had seen them once the bandages were off and that was only to treat them. "Old Gran has something to tell you."

We made our way back in silence, playfully nudging each other every few steps. Koko and I had become close, a sibling I never had. That closeness had seemed to anger Genki even more. When I got back to the huts I saw a strange boat I had never seen. "You wanted to see me Old Gran?" I asked.

"Benar, this is Bato. He is making a journey to the Earth Kingdom."

I saw what she meant. In the months since I had been saved no one had come to the village and this might be my only chance to leave the tribe. While part of me longed to stay, another said I must go before someone found out who I was. "A chance to get home." She nodded. Koko frowned but then smiled.

"You should take it, Benar. Never know when you may have another chance." Her voice was falsely cheerful.

"Koko...You know I don't want to leave you and Old Gran. You two have done so much for me. More importantly you have given me a family since the Fire Nation took that from me a year ago." I took her hands and wanted to tell her I would stay, but I could not form the words.

"And you have been such a blessing. You will always have a home here with Old Gran and me." I gave her hug, feeling her trembling.

"Be brave for me, my sister, and don't let your studies fall to the side."

"I will and won't." I kissed her cheek and then turned to Old Gran.

"This is not goodbye, child, but a fare well. We shall meet in this life or the next, the spirits willing." She gave me a hug. "Stay safe, my little Fire Bender," she whispered.

"And you as well," said I and went to pack my things. Among them Old Gran had placed a few Water Tribe weapons and a parka. No one really saw me off but those two, and a small girl named Neela who waved, but then no one had taken the chance to really get to know me either.

"Old Gran...he was Fire Nation, wasn't he?" I heard Koko ask. I barely heard it and no one was around to hear her.

"Yes. Was is a very good word." I looked back and waved. Making sure that not even Bato was looking I Bended a fiery farewell, a big smiley face in the air above the water. Koko jumped but waved back, her own watery smile reflecting the tears in her eyes.

* * *

I had made a home for myself near the docks of a Earth Kingdom port near East Earth Kingdom Base. It was a smiple thing, nothing at all to look at, but it was home. I made my living as a fisherman, net weaver, and even a hunter. It was a simple life and I loved it. My place was secluded but within an hour's walk from the town so few could see me Fire Bend without me seeing them approach. I heard tales of the wars but they seemed like a distant thing to me. For two years I lived in relative peace. I was eighteen and felt free. Until the Fire Nation struck.

Never had I fear from the water. The rocks off the cliffs of my home were dangerous even for the most capable sailor. Yet the Nations sent some troops over them at the highest tide and they scaled the cliffs to flank the port's garrison. I saw them coming and slipped out my back door and ran as quietly and stealthily as I could to get some warning. The miller was the closest to me and I knocked on their door. "Benar, what are..."

"No time. Fire Nation coming." I pointed back my way. "Hide while I run on to the garrison." The miller was not a stupid man and thankfully he did as he was told. "Gather the neighbors if you can safely." He was the only Earth Bender around this part of the area and could get them all under ground to the safe tunnels.

"Be careful, Benar."

"I will." I was off again.

Too late to warn of the attack since they had already hit the port, I could at least slow down the other Fire Nation troops that were coming to flank. I had no chance against a dozen Fire Benders, but I might be able to lessen the numbers. Slipping through the shadows of the night I was able to hear someone was already engaging them. I heard rocks smashing and the whoosh of Fire Bending...had the miller started fighting?

I looked down from the cliffs above to see three of the Fire Nation already dead, two encased in rock but seven were backing a lone Earth Bender into a corner. Not while I could help it. I leaped off the cliff and landed on one with an oomph! No one expected it so there was a momentary lull in their attacks which gave the Earth Bender a chance to attack. I rolled off the soldier and stood to square off. One Fire Bender sent a fireball my way but I danced out of the way as a Water Bender would. It was followed by an arc of fire I could not so easily avoid. I spun, my chi gathering to encase the arc and I flung it right back at the Fire Bender who was too stunned to react and got knocked off his feet and into the water twenty feet below. It worked! My own move worked like a charm.

A scream made me look at the Earth Bender who clutched his face. Not again. "Hey, jerks!" I screamed but they ignored me. Big mistake. My arms swirled as I shot a bolt of lightning at two of them and they dropped to the sand dead. The white light lit the night and the Earth Bender watched. That got their attention. Turning to confront me I sent bolt after bolt at them and they tried their best to block me, but they died just like the first two. I did not get away unhurt and had some nasty burns on my upper arms, but they would heal without much help other than bandages. As the last one fell I turned to speak to the Bender.

"Stay away from me Fire Bender!" A few rocks were thrown at me but they went wide since he could not see me very well. One arm was badly burned and the other looked broken. I was surprised he could Bend at all

"I'm not your enemy. I want to help you." A few more were flung but I spun, letting my chi encase the rocks and fling them harmlessly away. "Will you stop and listen for a moment, please?"

"Why, so you can call you lightning down on me too?"

"No, so I can talk some sense into you. I can help heal you enough to get you to the village for healing." He scoffed and stomped his foot. He was no Sand Bender so the wave didn't even reach me. All he ended up doing was falling over. I rushed over.

"Stay back!" he cried, but I was close enough.

I pulled the heat from the burns on his face and neck, soothing them as much as I could from here. Old Gran had taught me a few tricks and ways of thinking to help other burn victims. While there would be scarring, at least they would not hurt as much. He stopped trying to get away and stared at me. "I don't want to hurt you, I want to help."

"Like hell."

"Fine, then don't hurt yourself trying to get anywhere while I go tell the healers where you're at!" I screamed at him. "Stubborn as the rock you Bend," I grumbled and went to climb the cliffs, "you should at least thank me for stopping them from killing your stubborn ass," I continued to grumble. I heard him scrambling to get away and off the beach as more troops were arriving, this time no Benders were among them. Shaking my head I targeted the beach sand where they would land and poured the heat on. In moments the sand had turned to glass and steam clouds rose to provide cover for that Earth Bender. The troops didn't know what was happening until they floundered in the molten glass. No one could see, but I could feel them. I could feel their heat in contrast to the heat of the melted sand. A few fingers of Lightning and I cleared the beach. I had never Bended this much and I was getting tired. There was still the landing ship that needed to be dealt with. With one last surge of power I spun, dancing another Water Bending form but this time I channeled Lightning into a sheet that went into the water. It went right for the metal hull of the ship and within a few heartbeats the ship was burning and exploding. I stumbled back before anyone could see me and slumped behind a large boulder.

Hearing the sounds of the battle in the port slacken, I crawled from my hiding place and looked around. A Fire Nation ship was sinking in the waters of the bay and it looked like we had won the day. Standing I could see the bodies all around the beach but I looked for one body in particular. It was hard to see from all the smoke and steam still left in the air, but I spotted the green tunic of the Bender and saw he was unconscious. "Stubborn," I said and then climbed back down. I don't know why I went to help except I felt it was right. Old Gran had not turned her back on me.

He was pretty badly burned and nothing I could do now would really help. I checked him over for other injuries but found only superficial ones. Hoisting him over my shoulder I glanced around for any sign anyone was around and then used my Bending to launch us to the cliffs above. From there it was just a few minute walk to my door. My home was nicely furnished and tidy with a single bed, table with two chairs, and many shelves that held an assortment of odd things I had pulled from the sea in my years. Also my Tribe weapons were displayed and the two times I had guests they asked where I got them. "From my Old Gran of the Southern Water Tribe when I left."

I laid the man out on my bed and Bended the fire higher in the hearth to get some water boiling. I could have used Bending to do it faster but I did not want to do that unless necessary. I gathered some herbs I knew would be good for burns like hyssop and then looked down at my patient. He would carry heavy scarring along one arm, his scalp, his left leg and neck but his face was not too badly burned thankfully. He groaned as I removed his clothing to treat him of his injuries, even setting his broken arm while he was still unconscious and splinting it.

A knock came on my door and I went quickly to answer it. The miller stood there with two other guards. "You alright Benar?"

"A little burnt but nothing I won't be able to deal with myself. Is everyone safe in the town? How's the port?"

"Fine lad, fine. You were right about the Fire Nation trying to flank but it looks like their own Benders destroyed their ships in a battle with and Earth Bender on the beach." The miller only shook his head.

"I heard the noise but I hid." I looked at my feet.

"No sense feeling shame, Benar. It's an army and you may have some good skills with ropes and nets but you can't fight an army." I smiled at the miller. "Thanks for the warning. We were able to get more people to safety."

"I'm glad. And thank you for coming to check on me." They nodded and left, me rolling my eyes. I was glad people were safe and grateful they thought to come see me even as far out as I lived. I turned back to my patient and finished treating what I could with herbs and then I used my Fire Bending to pull the heat from the burns on his arms and neck. He shivered but did not wake.

I was exhausted and made up a pallet on the floor. I told myself I would just lay down for a moment but I was asleep even as I finished that sentence.

Waking to the chill of the coastal morning is usually a favorite of mine yet waking to smell of burnt flesh brought back too many memories. The man was groaning and I went to him to find him feverish. I made a quick fire for willowbark tea and sat him up enough to drink it. Although it's bitter he drank all of it and croaked for more water. I gave him two more cup fulls and then helped him lay back down. I pressed my hand to his head and stomach and pulled more heat to reduce his fever. It was enough for him to go back to sleep.

Around mid day I came back from helping the town salvage what they could and bury the dead. I was famished and thankfully the miller's wife and a few of the other wives had thought to make a community meal to make sure everyone got something to eat. No one went hungry and there was even enough to take a bit of bread back. "Take it, Benar." said the miller's wife. "Your warning saved a few people."

"There are others who need this loaf more than I."

A few of the wives put it in my hand along with a small pot of jam and a fish. "No one here will say otherwise that you're a hero to those you saved." I blushed and thanked them.

When I got home the Earth Bender was sitting up. "You!" he snarled and went to Bend but hissed as he moved his broken arm.

"Me. I wouldn't move too much. Your fever was bad last night and you may loosen the poultice I put on your burns. Are you hungry?" I held up the loaf and fish. He just glared. "Ah." I set them on the table and sliced off a good portion and half the fish. I set these beside him on a tray. "If you get hungry it's there. What you did last night saved more than a few lives." He spat at me but it landed at my feet. "If you had not kept them at bay for as long as you did they would have swept through the farms out here."

"I know that you Fire Nation filth." I closed my eyes and shook my head.

"My name is Benar. I'm a fisherman and hunter around here." I was trying to be nice, to be civil. He just glared. "Ah. Well, if you want some water I will get some from the well. I would not recommend trying to get up too fast as you may fall on your face." I went to get some water and came back to find him in the same place with the same glare on his face. "Is that your normal expression? Like you're giving birth to a porcupine-squirrel?" Nothing. With a sigh I poured some water and set it next to the untouched food. "In a few hours I'll need to check the burns."

"You will not touch me." he hissed.

"Funny, who do you think got you off the beach? I had to touch you to do that. Who set your broken arm and splinted it? Had to touch you then too." I knew I had to stop talking to him or I would start yelling. "In a few days you should be well enough to see a healer in the town and they may be free from having to deal with people worse off than you. Until then I'm the only person here who can help treat your burns." Once again he said nothing. I took down my fishing spear to sharpen the tip and he pulled back in angered fear, grunting in pain, but I ignored him. "I'm going to get supper. I'll be back in a few hours maybe. Please, take my advice and don't get out of bed just yet."

I left to go to the cove where I kept my small boat and went fishing. I did catch some but I also went out to scavange what I could from the wreckage and troops on the beach. I was not able to get much except some small amount of money and a few slightly damaged weapons. I would have to do some diving to get into the ship itself. A few guards were arriving as I was leaving. "Anything good?"

I laughed. "Not much really, Lee. I couldn't get into the ship without diving and it ain't safe yet."I shook my finger at them. "You call me if you guys plan on going in there. I call first pick." They laughed along with me. I knew them pretty well as I had done some volunteering with the garrison teaching them what I could about treating burns and also how to track better.

The Earth Bender was asleep when I came in and I set down my finds and put the fish in the cold cellar for later. When I came back up he was awake and trying to sit up. I went to help but he snarled at me. The food lay untouched. I nodded and went to prepare and eat my supper. I would normally play some music after I eat but my patient did not seem like the kind to listen to it. But it was my house and I played music after I ate. I pulled down a ten string harp and played softly. He growled but didn't tell me to stop. "Is that some Fire Nation song?"

"Actually it comes from the Southern Water tribes. I spent a few months there when I was younger and learned much about music, the sea, and healing." I played on. "I have no singing voice or I would sing the words but it tells of how the Moon and Ocean Spirits left their celestial home and came to dwell among us." I changed to an Earth Kingdom song.

"Don't play songs from my land."

"Why? I've lived here for two years. And music does not belong to any one land." He turned away and said nothing more. I sighed and put up the harp and banked the fire for the night. "Will you let me look at the burns now?" His cold stare was all I needed. "Ah." I left to take a walk to clear my head. Why does he hate me so much? I had done nothing wrong to him. I knew it was because I was a Fire Bender, but didn't helping him change his mind even a little?

My feet carried me to my Bending cove and I slipped out of my clothes, wearing only my loincloth. I danced from one form to the next, not Bending but just getting out some aggressions in the movements. My forms became Water Tribe and I was smiling as I flowed through the moves. Then came the very few Earth Bender forms I had seen. I could only remember two well enough to mimic them and an Earth Bender would laugh at me for doing them that poorly, but living alone I didn't care. It was my refuge, these forms, and in my refuge I found peace. I went home. The Earth Bender was snoring softly...and the food was gone. I smiled and shook my head. "Stubborn as the stone," I whispered and lay down to sleep.

Once again I awoke to him groaning and feverish. This time he was lucid enough to know who I was and what I was doing. He tired to fend me off. "Please, a fever is the last thing you want right now. Drink the willow bark and some more water and then I will change the poultices." Too weak to fight me off he could only do as I said. I was gentle but sure, doing nothing I had not said I would do. "Now try to rest up a bit more. I'll be back later after I do my chores."

Another day of hard work rebuilding the town done. Heading home I was fortunate enough to catch a ride on the back of an ostrich-horse with a guard who was going down the coast on his daily patrol. "You know Benar, some of the young ladies round these parts been eying you."

"Why?"

The older man chuckled. "Young buck like youself, unmarried, works hard, fair to look at from what they say." I blushed to my hairline and he laughed. "Don't let none of them see you do that or you may find yourself married before the day is out."

"Heavens take me before that happens. I would make a horrible husband." That only made him laugh harder. "Thanks for the lift." I gave him a wave as he rode on. Inside the Earth Bender was shuffling about and looked at me in shock. "Oh. Did you need anything?"

I expected either a silence or some scathing words. "Water. I can't find the water."

"Okay. You sit at the table and try to get a little bit down and I'll get some more water from the well. Not too much food now." I didn't offer to help him as I got the water, knowing he would not accept it. I also got a bucket for sea water to boil and collect the salt that was left behind. Funny how many people didn't know how easy it was to make salt and they lived by the ocean. "Here you are," I said and handed him a cup of water. He said nothing but his lack of glare was a good sign.

"You know I'm a Fire Bender." He grunted. I looked to see him looking at me curiously. "I only say that to let you know I do somethings around here with Bending." I lit the fireplace with a small snort and got the sea water boiling in seconds. He said nothing. "There. Some salt for the fish I caught." I arranged some metal tubing above the pot.

"What's that for?" he asked.

"To catch the steam and turn it back into water as it cools. Not the best as there is some salt still in it but it's good for washing burns once the hyssop has steeped."

"Does that mean you want to change the bandages again?" There was some grumbling in that statement.

"Not until tonight." I looked at him. "Listen. I have to tell you there will be scarring from the burns. The small ones on your face will heal and fade soon, but your neck, scalp and arms won't be so lucky. I have hope for your leg though. I'm no Water Tribe healer who can help lessen it, but I know a lot about burns." He looked away. "Your arms should be fine in a few weeks. You should be well enough to run for the hills in a day or two after your fevers are done. All I ask is this." He looked at me then. "I've left the Fire Nation behind three years ago when they took my family from me. I've done my best to leave it in the past."

"But you're a Fire Bender." There was no accusations this time, just confusion.

"Yeah, but I don't think you realize how strange I am to them." I set a small white flame to flicker above my palm. "I don't use fire as you know it. White flames burn hotter." I set the flame atop the wooden bench. "Or they don't burn at all."

"You seem so calm."

"I am. I don't need to be angry to Bend. Like the Water Benders I just let it flow." The flame went out. "The Fire Nation are monsters. The Fire Lord is the biggest one of all. Anger and hate fuel them. I couldn't stand it, so I left. Spirits help us come summer and Sozin's Comet comes back." I put a smaller jar under the metal tube to catch the dripping water.

"What does a comet have to do with anything?"

"Last time it was in the skies Fire Lord Sozin destroyed the Air nomads. There is one great Nation left." I knew the plans because it was the only way for the Fire Nation to finally defeat the Earth Kingdom. Anyone with any sense would see it. I hope the Avatar did.

"I'm...sorry I've been so harsh to you." I smiled over at him. He smiled back a bit.

"Thank you for understanding. Not many would."

"My name is Jinn." I stood and bowed.

"A pleasure to meet you Jinn." He stood but did not return it. Not yet.

"Do you think I can get outside for a bit? Go for a walk?"

I almost said no. "If you take it slowly and not dislodge the bandage on your leg." He nodded and I grabbed one of the Fire Nation spears, breaking off the head. "Walking stick." Jinn nodded and took it in his good hand.

"Who showed you kindness that you put up with me?" he asked as I walked him out.

"Old Gran of the Southern Water Tribe. Saved me from drowning when the Fire Nation ship I was prisoner on was attacked." I smiled fondly. "Oh how her people were shamed when they spoke about me. Her voice cracked like the icebergs, like the mountains during a deep freeze, shaming them for their words when I stood much the same way you are now. She knew who I was, gave me my life back anyway and with it my name." He looked curious again. "She gave me the name Benar so I could leave behind my past."

"May I ask your old name?"

"It's no pleasant one for any in the Earth Kingdom. My mother named me Iroh." His face spasmed but he said nothing. "I know. But that person died in that ship and was born again as Benar."

"You seem so young to have lived all that." We wandered down the path to the beach, him following my unconscious steps

"I will be nineteen this coming Winter."

"So young to have..." he trailed off when he overlooked the beach. His eyes widened when he saw the devistation. "How...did you allow me to survive all that?" I told him. Shaking his head he looked at me once again. "You are so odd to me, nothing like I thought a person from there would be like."

"I'm not like them, which is why I did my best to save you. I've never had to use my Bending to kill, but they would have killed you and untold others. And it was so easy to do. Killing them meant lives spared. No choice really given the alternative."

"But Lightning..."

"It's something so few Fire Benders can do because it takes calm. I find it so easy." I looked around and then produced a sword. It crackled for a few moments and then I released it. "Not many could do that."

"And not many could survive it. You say you used Water Bending forms too." I nodded and told him how I found my technique. "I saw you do that to their fire. Just fling it back at them. I couldn't believe it then."

"That was the first time I ever tried it too." Shaking his head he turned around to go back to the cabin. I made us a light lunch. "I'm going to take a walk. If you need me just hollar out the front door."

"May I join you? I miss the feel of the ground beneath my feet."

I wanted again to say no, but I nodded. "It's not far but it's sheltered. You'll see why when we get there."

I led him to my Bending cove and he looked around curiously. Then he really looked as an Earth Bender would. At the walls, the ground, feeling for what may have happened here. His eyes closed as I moved away from him. "You Bend here...and I would almost say you've fought someone. I see the foot falls of Earth Benders." He sat on a rock and looked at me, a hint of his old hatred back.

"I've never fought anyone here. Just me. I've learned a few forms from Earth Benders by watching. I'm no good at them but they help keep me fit and moving." It felt uncomfortable to me to do this with my shirt on, but I did not want anyone to see my scars. I opened my senses to the heat around me, feeling for anything large enough to be a human in hiding. Only person was Jinn. I began my dance, fire flying from my hands an feet like it was effortless and it was. Punches and kicks went faster and faster. Then my motions became more fluid and a few bolts of Lighning came out of my hands with this hybrid Water/Fire Bending. Into pure Water Tribe forms and then, although I felt stupid and clumsy, the few Earth Bending forms I knew.

All in all it took me about an hour and I was sweating up a storm. I looked sideways at Jinn who sat perfectly still. "I'm glad the Benders from the beach were not you. I would not have lasted nearly as long."

"I've spent years perfecting my moves, adapting to other styles in an effort to do one thing. Never go back to the Fire Nation."

"You fight to stay free?" I nodded. "Well, I can't say anything about your Water Tribe forms but your Earth forms need a lot work." I laughed and he smiled right along side me.

"I can't exactly ask a Bender to teach me when I can't Bend myself. I've had to watch and learn." His nod made smile. "How long has it taken you to learn Bending?" I asked.

It turns out that Jinn was almost thirty years old although he looked close to my age. He's studied for over twenty years to be able to what he has done. "Long years, hard study, that is what makes an Earth Bender. I know the Fire Benders train just as hard."

"Yes, but they also train in weapons and sea life. I remember going through school hating all the lies but I learned."

"Yes you did. Will you please help me up?" I nodded and help him to his feet. This close I could see we were of a height but he outweighed me by at least forty pounds, mostly muscle. Good thing I'm strong for my build.

As we walked back to the cabin Lee came riding by. "Hello again Benar. Who we got here?" Lee pulled up and looked at Jinn. "Benar back away slowly."

"Why?" I looked at him like he was being crazy.

"This man is wanted for killing two people in Tu Zin village." I looked at Jinn who went pale.

"Wanted or not, Lee, you can't take him. I'm not done treating his burns from the fight with the soldiers on the beach." It was a gamble but I was hoping to keep Jinn here until I could at least ask him.

"This is the Bender that fought off the landing?" Lee scoffed.

"I saw it with my own eyes. I've been doing what I can until a real healer can be spared. Will you be calling me a liar?" Lee looked around, unsure. He knew I was no liar...mostly.

"No, but he still must be taken. Now before he can Bend his way out of prison."

I opened my mouth to say no. "I'll go with you. I don't want Benar to have any problems. He's been nothing but kind to me." He looked down at his feet. "I can't escape as I am. Go get your fellows, I won't struggle."

Lee looked right at me. "Keep him here at all costs, Benar." I nodded and he rode off very quickly.

"Is it true?"

"I did kill two people, but not for reasons you might think." We continued walking back to my home and sat at the table when we got there. I poured us some water. "I came home after working in the market to find my beloved in bed with another man. At first I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me, but it was true. I turned around and left. I went outside to our yard and cried. Eleven years we were together." My heart fell at the look in his eyes. "I sobbed, beating the ground in my rage and sorrow. I caused the house to collapse. Both died within."

I didn't know what to say. If his words were true he had lost a loved one twice. First to another man and then to an accident. "They won't take you." He looked up at me. "You will not leave my home until you are well enough to travel."

"But they will come for me."

"And Lee's words were to keep you here at all costs." I stood and grabbed my favored weapon.

"Benar..Iroh, no. I don't want to see you hurt." I started at hearing my name after so long. "I've caused you enough problems, I don't want to hurt you any more."

That was when the door was pounded on. I opened it quickly and they could see the weapon in my hand. Tweleve guards and four Benders. "Glad to see you're still safe," said the Miller.

"I was never in any danger. And doubt anyone here is either. You can't..." but Jinn just walked past me. "You be careful of his burns or I will be talking to your superiors or thumping you one myself." One of the Benders snickered and before he could blink I was in his face with my weapon pressed against his throat. His eyes were wide. "I did not spend the last few days healing him so you could hurt him again."

"Relax Benar." The Miller placed his hand on my shoulder. "Until he stands trial he will be fine."

"Call me as character witness then. I have not had one problem with him save some feverish ranting." Lee looked around in confusion. "Call me or I'll show up anyway." They could not say no to me, they knew I would do just as I said. I had this habit of doing things as I said I would.

"Very well. There will be a hearing in two days." Jinn gave me a smile and went with them calmly.

They thought they were out sight, but I followed them noiselessly. They grabbed him roughly and he grunted in pain. "That boy ain't around to save you now," the Bender said but I was. I rushed forward and used the blunt of the blade to thump him on the head. He went down with that one blow and the others were ready to attack me.

"I told you I would thump you." I grabbed the man's arms and pulled them behind his back. "You will keep your hands here like a good boy or I will dislocate you shoulders, elbows and wrists."

"Enough Benar," said the Miller and I looked at him.

"I'm going with you. If anyone lays one hand on him I will thump you one."

"I can't let you," Lee began but I turned my glare on him, the one I learned from glaring at my father and he shut his mouth.

"Try and stop me. Benders or no Benders I will not let you hurt him." My words dripped the fire I felt burning in my gut. Every part of me said Jinn was telling me the truth. I let the man go and stood beside Jinn with my weapon out and ready. We resumed walking.

"I have never seen you this way, Benar."

"You have never seen the way I deal with bullies. I've seen enough when I was captive by the Fire Nation, I will not let it continue here." Jinn placed his hand on my shoulder and I could almost feel myself calming. "My apologies." I said to the Bender I thumped. He said nothing back.

Copyright © 2005-2008 Nickelodeon Studios ; All Rights Reserved; Copyright © 2014 Fantasyboy69; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 13
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction that combine worlds created by the original content owner with names, places, characters, events, and incidents that are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, organizations, companies, events or locales are entirely coincidental.
Authors are responsible for properly crediting Original Content creator for their creative works.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Stories in this Fandom are works of fan fiction. Any names or characters, businesses or places, events, or incidents are fictitious. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental. Recognized characters, events, and incidents belong to Nickelodeon Studios <br>
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..