Jump to content
    Fantasyboy69
  • Author
  • 8,370 Words
  • 2,203 Views
  • 5 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction that combine worlds created by the original content owner with names, places, characters, events, and incidents that are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, organizations, companies, events or locales are entirely coincidental.
Authors are responsible for properly crediting Original Content creator for their creative works.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Stories in this Fandom are works of fan fiction. Any names or characters, businesses or places, events, or incidents are fictitious. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental. Recognized characters, events, and incidents belong to Nickelodeon Studios <br>

Scorched Earth - 2. Chapter 2

Walking into town was an ordeal for the both of us. Calls of murderer and scarred freak were hurled Jinn's way but I felt them keenly. When the first rock flew and hit Jinn I blew up. "Enough! The next person who throws something will be called to the field to face me. How dare you treat him like this. He's the one who held off the landing party at the beach by my house long enough for me to warn the Miller they were there. I found him there among them, burned and broken. Is this how you treat a man who saved lives?"

"But he killed two..."

"He killed a few more than that protecting this town, this kingdom from the Fire Nation. Now everyone go away." No one moved.

"His words are just and right," came a woman's voice. "Let him be judged in the courts." I looked around for the voice and found her sitting on a barrel. Her smile was so lovely, so pure that I felt tears in my eyes. "Hello Benar. You look well. I don't remember you being this loud before though."

I sighed and grinned. "I was a bit injured back then, Koko. I'll be right back." She nodded. As the crowd dispersed we escorted Jinn to the holding cells which were made entirely out of metal.

"You didn't have to come all this way," he said, "especially for a scarred freak."

"I did. Someone has to be on your side." I looked at the guards and while none would look away they all knew I would be quite upset if he got hurt. "See that he gets a healer to look at him. That or I'll be by again tonight to look after him myself." Lee nodded. "And you are no scarred freak, Jinn. No more than I am." He nodded but looked down at his feet. I could see those people had hurt him very easily. "I'll be back later on."

Koko sat right where I had seen her last but she stood when I came within sight, smoothing her skirt and smiling. I ran and picked her up, swinging her around and both of us laughing. "Oh little brother it's good to see you again." Yet I had grown taller than her and looked down into her eyes. "You know what I mean."

"I have missed you. How is Old Gran?" I took her hand as we walked to a place less crowded. She had not changed, still the same quiet soul that helped me through so much. She had gotten lovelier though and I could see more than one man eying her. She was an exotic beauty to their eyes.

"Still herself. She wanted me to pass on her love should I see you."

"Are you staying long?"

"For some time actually. The Tribe was attacked." My smiled wiped away. "We lost it all but no one was killed thankfully. Genki and I were able to keep most of the Fire Benders busy while the rest escaped." I bowed my head in thanks. At least no one was killed. "So we came to the last place safe. The Earth Kingdom and Ba Sing Se." She looked around. "Only I don't think it's very safe here either."

"Up until a few nights ago it was. Is Genki aboard the ship?"

"No I'm right here." I turned to look at him. If anything Genki got better looking save for the healing scar across his right eye. "Still dancing the women's forms?"

"Everyday. Keeps me in shape and frees me from stress." I turned back to Koko. "If you wish you can stay with me. I live an hour from here by land. It's not much but I remember sleeping on the boats."

Koko giggled into her hand. "You got so sick your first night." I had too, losing my lunch and dinner over the side. The fish fed well that night. "Is it near the shore?"

"Yes. Got my own boat tied off in a cove with enough room if you aren't on the whale-tiger fishers." The boats were designed to haul the often forty foot long whale-tigers back to the village and were some of the biggest non warships in the Tribes. "You might find it hard to get past the sunken Fire Nation landing ship though. No one has hauled it off."

"We will not be..." Genki began but Koko went right on.

"Of course I would love to stay with you. Catch up and see how you have been." She shot a look at Genki and although it rankled him, he nodded and grimaced a smile.

"Great. Did you need help hauling supplies? I know those who won't cheat you as badly as the others."

"That would be great, wouldn't Genki?" His jaw was flexing as he swallowed the words of disgust. While we shopped I told her what I had been doing with my time here. She seemed to listen avidly to every aspect of my life from fishing to scounting. "Who was that man?" she asked when my life story was done.

"A hero. And someone who will have to live with the scars of the Fire Nation, same as I do."

"And is what they say true?"

"As an act, yes he killed two people." I told her quietly what he told me and she shook her head. "But there is little evil in him. I know what that looks like and it is not Jinn. Anger and hurt, yes but not evil." The merchant we were buying rope from, what little could be bought, looked at me sideways. "And those who tease and mock him should meet the same fate. To walk in the shoes of a person scarred for life for doing what was right." I stared right at him and at least he looked away.

At the boat I saw so many face of people I knew. A few even greeted me with a smile. But none so large as Old Gran. When our eyes met her face lit up like a thousand suns and I all but shoved the supplies I was carrying into the arms of a warrior and ran to give her a huge hug. "Oh Benar! You have grown so big and strong."

"And you have shrunk, Old Gran. You have to come stay with me. Koko is going to."

"You live near here?" I told here where. "Mikar, have we the supplies we need?" The captain checked them over and nodded. "Then we follow the coast and a friendly port."

"Is there such a thing?" he asked.

"Yes, it belongs to Benar." The captain looked at me with a bit more worth.

"Seems like you've done well here, kid." I nodded and we set off for my home. The voyage was very short and they moored up along my small dock. Old Gran was helped to shore and from there I escorted her and Koko to my home. When they saw the inside it brought smiles to their faces.

"You still have those old things?" Old Gran asked of the items she had given me.

"Yes. They were the only things I had from home." They smiled. "Old Gran can have the bed. Which means I need to change the bedding since Jinn has been there for a few days while he healed."

"Who?" I told Old Gran about him, everythng I knew, and she stood up and began walking.

"Where are you going?"

"To find this lad and do what I can. Might not be much, but something might be done to lessen his pain." How I loved this woman. Koko and I fell in step on either side of her. Old she may be, but she was still vital. It didn't stop me from borrowing an ostrich-horse from the miller.

"Why?" I motioned to Old Gran. "Gods, lad, you made her walk this far?" He went right to the stable.

"Made her? HA! You think I can be stubborn?" When we brought the mount to her she raised a wintery brow.

"I need no mount."

"Never said you did. It's something new to do before the tribe shoves off. How many times have you ridden an ostrich-horse?" I smiled my sweetest at her and she cackled.

"Very well. I'll let you indulge an old woman." The miller lifted her easily in the saddle. "Such nice people, these Earth Kingdom people. Helping complete strangers even during this hour of pain. Anyone who helps those in need should be honored and praised for their good hearts." I could see that the miller felt good about him helping and then I saw his face fall. Hadn't he condemned a man, even politely, who had helped keep people alive?

When we got back to the port, Old Gran slid off the mount by herself as I tied it off at the garrison gates. The guards saw me and stood at attention. "Has a healer seen him?" I asked.

"Yes." I nodded and went inside despite their protests that I was not allowed. Old Gran and Koko were not even challenged for they were not of the Earth Kingdom and women besides.

I marched down to the cells which were made of metal. The captain of the guard rolled his eyes when he saw me, but said nothing as he led me to Jinn. "May we see him?" I asked.

"His cell is not to be opened."

"Open it," Old Gran said with a smile.

"Ma'am, I cannot..."

"Don't you ma'am me, boy. You have an injured man in there and you will have many more out here unless I am able to treat him." The water barrel suddenly grew wattery tentacles that reached for the Captain and he backed away.

"Please do as Old Gran asked, Captain," said Koko with a smile, "she is getting grumpy in her age and no one angers the Matron Bender of the Southern Water Tribe." Her batting her lashes was low. The Captain opened the cell very quickly.

"Such a nice young man," Old Gran said and pinched his cheek. The two ladies went in and I was chuckling at the Captain.

"Your fabled Old Gran?" I nodded. They had heard enough stories of her to know more than to anger her. "You never said she was so tall for being so small. Or that she came with a lovely assistant."

"That assistant is my sister." I left the words there and the Captain's smile faded to his old stone face. The Captain may be one of the stronger Earth Benders here, but we were surrounded by metal and I had my Water Bending ladies. "You may shut us in for security reasons."

I stepped into the cell and the door was shut and locked. It was dark in here, almost too dark to see. I saw the sconce on the wall and snorted at it, small jets of flame igniting the torch there. Jinn was laying down with in his small clothes, Old Gran obviously making it clear she was here to help heal him. "How are they treating you Jinn?"

"Benar? They're treating me like a man who has the plague. They leave me alone. Who are these two lovely ones?" He smiled at Old Gran who smiled back.

"My Old Gran and my sister Koko."

"Water Tribe Healers...here? I really don't deserve this, Benar, really."

"Oh pish. When our Benar told me of you I had to come. I will say that Benar did very well for not being able to Bend water. I can stop some of the scarring, but not much. Too much time has passed."

"He knows all about me, Old Gran." Hence why I had Fire Bended the torch. These three alone knew what I could do.

"Then this man is going to get the best healing I can give. I have been learning some new things since you've been gone, Benar. How to remove newer scars." I nodded, feeling my scars twinge.

Jinn had seen my face. "How...bad are your scars, Benar?" I looked away.

"I do not speak of them." He nodded. "They come with too many emotions." Again he nodded.

"Now, child, I will not lie. This technique is a bit painful on something so fresh but in the long run you will be less scarred. Would you like something to help you sleep?" Old Gran was also an herbalist and knew many plants to aid in healing.

"Yes," he said softly. I looked around at the accomodation and found them very much lacking. A straw pallet that probably needed changing and a ratted blanket. She mixed him something for the pain that would gently send him down to slumber.

When he was looking glassy eyed she spoke. "I will begin now. Koko, help some with the healing after. Benar, pay some attention, you may find it educational." I nodded and stood where I could see her movements better." Jinn flinched a little as he felt the water from the bucket touch him but he settled down as Koko healed him. I saw the scars being gently rubbed like a plank being made smooth. The water scoured away the scars but not so badly that they opened up and bled. The flesh was raw, but Koko and Old Gran seemed to make a good team. I was almost able to feel the energy she used to do this. I had watched her often enough that I knew what she felt like when she was Bending. I could see its results and I had never thought to do this as it injured them again for the sake of removing scars.

After nearly an hour Jinn's leg was noticably smoother, but it had taken that long for just the leg. Old Gran sat back and wiped her brow. "I have done all I can to lessen the scarring here. The other areas will have to wait until tomorrow after I have rested." I helped her up with a smile. "Did you learn anything?"

"I think so. I see what you were doing but I can't do it just that way, obviously." Her cackle would have woken anyone not drugged.

As it is Lee came back. "Are you done in there?" He sounded tired and he was probably going off shift soon.

"Just finished, Captain. You may open the door, Jinn is sleeping." The door creaked open. "Which reminds me. Find him something a little more comfortable to sleep on until the trial at least," Old Gran said with a smile. "He needs to be healed again tomorrow. We shall be back." Her tone said she would have her way so he better get used to it.

"Was he any trouble?" Lee asked.

"Not at all. He was the soul of courtesy and very polite for an accused murderer. Never met a nice killer." Lee looked mildly shocked at her words as we swept past.

He stopped me. "What time shall I expect you?" he asked, resigned to his fate.

"Near mid day. Thank you for not making a huge issue. Old Gran can be a bit much on first meeting." Lee nodded, wondering just how bad she could be. "Also, something simple to sleep on. A new pallet if one can be made, and a softer blanket."

"Pallets are easy, but the blanket...why? He's a prisoner."

"I know, but trust me. Wool on burns is the worst and may make his healing slower." I went to step past him but he stopped me.

"How do you know?" His gaze was intense.

"I spent time as a prisoner among a Fire Nation ship and I still carry those scars years later." The look in my eyes made him step back and swallow hard. "I would appreciate it if you never ask me anything about them again."

"No, Benar...never again." I left.

Back home I cooked up a storm, making things for Old Gran and Koko that I never would have made myself as I didn't care enough how it tasted, just if it filled the belly. "Such a good host," Koko teased as I served her fresh fish baked over coals with coltsfoot and lemon, baked potatoes with butter and chives, and small fried cakes with light whipped cream. "Why did you never cook like this when you were home?"

"When you cooked so much better? Leave me some masculine pride." I know my smile was insufferable.

"You have changed quite a bit," Old Gran said fondly. "I'm glad to see the fire inside was not quenched." My smile changed to something a bit more inward.

"Benar, have you kept up on Bending...everything?" Koko looked at me with concern. I knew she didn't want to say it.

"I have. I still keep up the forms I learned and have found some amazing things." I sat and sighed. I had missed these two women so much, but my mind had said I would never see them again so I never realized how much until now. "I could show you after we finish eating."

Koko grinned. "Perhaps tomorrow. It has been a long day and I know I'm tired." With a nod I set out to make up a pallet for her. Old Gran was given the bed.

"I could not put you out of your bed, Benar," she tried but I insisted.

"I have slept worse places than my floor and I would like you to sleep as best as you can for Jinn's sake." She conceded eventually.

When we went into town the next day to have another look at Jinn's burn, I was only mildly surprised he was not there. They had moved him already for the trial. "Where?" I asked the watch captain.

"Tu Zin." Great. They had a three hour head start and it would take a half a day to get there.

"Now what?" Koko asked as we left the garrison. I racked my brain to come up with a way to get there in time to help.

"Now...we sail. If you're willing to move us up stream, we can get to Tu Zin before them." I didn't look at Koko; I didn't want her to see how much this meant to me. And why did it mean so much to me to help Jinn?

"I am, but how far is it?"

"Half a day by land." She nodded and we went outside to go get Old Gran.

She was not at all happy to hear about this. "Then we shall have to go to him," she said with certainty. "With two Water Benders we can get there faster than those ostrich-horses."

We went back home only to get my boat. "And where are you going in that?" asked Genki.

"To save a life," Koko said as she helped Old Gran in. I untied the skiff and rowed us out.

"Where, the bottom of the bay? Because that is where that leaky thing will take you." I ignored him and rowed, the muscles in my arms accustomed to this now more than ever.

"We'll be back tomorrow evening," Old Gran said and the captain was about to say something when she fixed him with a look. "Say it."

"We leave in three days. If you are not here by then, we leave without you and you will be stuck here." He would not back down; the tribe's safety was at stake.

"Then the tribe will be safe. As shall we if we miss the boat," said Koko and she waved her arms, the water rising at her command to propel us along faster than I could ever row. I love my sister!

The headwaters of the river were no match for the ladies who took turns keeping us almost speeding up stream. Boats we passed seemed irate, but then I guessed we were hell on their trying to fish. The road followed the river well enough, so I was watchful for those escorting Jinn. I was not too surprised when we passed them in the evening, their camp visible. Jinn was bound but not badly. His hands were in front of him and the guards were all seated around the fire. He hadn't been any trouble. We beached the boat a bit upstream and I tied her off before we started our march back.

"I swear there was some water spirit that just flew past. The river is choppy," said one guard. We could hear them clearly.

"Hear that?" One guard said to Jinn with a nudge. Not a hard one, but it was still right on one of his burns and Jinn hissed. "Sorry. Looks like your boyfriend and his Water Benders are looking for you."

Boyfriend? "I hope not. I caused Benar enough problems. And was not my boyfriend. He was a kind man who saved my life and maybe yours." I heard his tone...like he wished I was his boyfriend. Did he...have boyfriends?

"Actually we found him," I said striding up. The soldier leaped to their feet and rocks rose up. "Oh sit down. Jeeze. Can we get in another treatment before you guys get to the trial?"

The guards all looked like I was the last person they expected to see, but Jinn...he was very happy to see me. "You come all this way to heal him?"

"Yes," Old Gran stated firmly. "Now, may I heal my patient or does the water spirit need to make the river run right through camp?" The rocks they held aloft wobbled and were set down calmly. "Thank you. Moving a patient before his healers say it is safe. What silliness." The guards had never met Old Gran, but by now they had heard of her and were wondering just how much of what she was saying could happen. "How are you Jinn?"

"I'm fine, really." He smiled at her and then looked right at me. In the fire light his eyes were so expressive and I could see he was so happy to see me. "All this way..."

"Like I would be elsewhere? If not as your friend, then as one of your healers I have to make sure you are treated fairly. Is there anyway we can get his hands untied? His legs can be bound if you're worried." Jinn nodded.

With a general consensus, Jinn was rebound and we were able to treat him. "You healers really take your job serious, don't you?" asked one of the guards.

"If you were seriously burned, would you want a healer who was lazy?" Koko asked and the man shook his head. "And thank you, gentlemen, for being as gentle as you have been. I would hate..."

What she would hate went unsaid as the ground around us erupted and knocked us off our feet. The guards looked at Jinn, but there was no way he could have done it. Stone discs were flung from the brush and two guards were flung into the river. "The bushes," I said and then stood over Jinn. One disc came at me, but I spun, the disc being caught in my energy and flung back at them as I planted my feet firmly. My stance was firm but not strong enough to mimic an Earth Bender.

Two more of the guards began to Bend their own attacks at the spots where the attackers could be hiding, but they were missing because they could not see where they were aiming. When another disc came from the brush I sidestepped to intercept it from hitting a guard, sending it back at one of the heat sources I felt. The guard just stared at me in shock when he heard a grunt, but by then I was dancing away to stand over Jinn again.

Koko and Old Gran were doing their own Bending, whips of water and chilling shards of ice pelting the bushes to deter but not kill these attackers. Old Gran stood silently, her eyes closed, merely sidestepping anything that came her way, but when she struck, it was accurate and with such a force that whoever was struck only gasped and then said no more. My sister's attacks were lightning fast and the brush and small trees were cleared as she sought to see these Earth Benders.

While I was keeping my focus on the rapidly vanishing plants, I could not help but see a few of the Benders as they commanded the earth. How their feet fell, their arms moved, everything seeming rooted on the very element they commanded. I was learning more and more from this one little fight than I had in the years I had been out in my house. "Let me help," Jinn said from below me.

"Not with the way you're still healing, no," I said.

"Benar, please! I knows this style!" He knew the style? Which means he may know the attackers. With a sudden decision I might regret, I pulled my belt knife and cut his legs free. Jinn got to his feet and made a very forceful stomp on the ground. Even I could feel the vibrations of it. "Follow my lead and feel the heat trapped in the earth," he whispered. I nodded as he stomped again, this time at an angel towards one of the heat sources I felt. There was an eruption of rock and dirt and I saw a man flying into the air with a yelp.

"Again," I said, and he kept the man juggling with spouts of earth. I was watching and when I mimicked the move, aiming for the trapped heat under one of the moving Bender, I felt my Fire surge through the earth and heard a man scream in agony as a small gout of flame flared up and burned his feet.

"Good," was Jinn's response and he went into another Bending form. He punched the ground and the same man he had been juggled was caught in a pillar of molten rock.

Molten rock...was fire too, right? I thought and felt for more heat under the ground. A boulder the size of a horse came flying at me and Jinn, and I wondered if I could move something that big, but I realized I didn't have to. I punched the ground at our feet and my own pillar of molten rock moved the boulder out of the way and into the river behind us. The pillar was more fire than rock, but enough was there that even an Earth Bender would say I was simply inept at Bending Earth and not a Fire Bender using hybrid forms.

The brush was gone and the rest of the guards were able to repel the attackers. Jinn leaned over to me. "Can you pull the heat from that pillar I made?" Jinn asked quietly. I nodded and made a small gesture, the stone cooling rapidly. Jinn nodded and sat down cross legged.

The guards came back to find Jinn calm and waiting to be rebound. One stayed there while the others went to see how many of the attackers were still around. One was still trapped in the pillar, one was encased in ice, and one was suffering from severe burns to his bare feet – he had been wearing boots before I got to him.

"You didn't try to run," one guard said to Jinn.

"No, I simply wanted to help." I smiled down at him. He was that odd to them. To them he was a soon to be convicted murderer, why wouldn't he try to run? "Is everyone okay?"

Minor injuries were all we sustained, but Koko was able to help speed that healing along. "You never told us you were and Earth Bender, Benar," said one of the guards.

"I would never apply that term to me," I laughed. "That was some lousy Bending. I fumbled through what Jinn did and it worked, but I'll leave the Bending of Earth to the actual Earth Benders." My ladies and Jinn grinned.

"If...if this all turns out well, I can help you with form, Benar." Jinn had seen what I could do. He knew I was a Fire Bender, but he had seen me use a Water Bending form to deflect attacks and an Earth Bending form to bring up magma from the ground.

"I will, my friend, it will."

* * *

The town was all aflutter when Jinn was led in, bound in metal chains. His head was held up but he stared ahead with a hollow gaze, ignoring the shouts of murderer and freak. Behind us, bound in more metal, were the Benders who attacked us. Jinn knew them. Too well. They were family to the people he killed. Seeking their own justice. Jinn did not fault them either. The only reason they were bound and led in were because they struck guardsmen and for attempted murder. "Those three go to the annex. He comes with us." The attackers were led off in another direction. "This is as far as you go, Benar."

"When is the time for the trial?"

"Two hours."

"Would be okay if we could talk?" The guard looked at me and I knew he could see me pleading.

"That is up to the garrison commander here, but as his healers you are able to see he is made comfortable until the trial. Just...don't expect to be treated nicely." We all nodded and went with them.

The commander was an older man who had seen his share of battles. His burly body was covered in scars that he wore as badges of honor almost. When he entered the cell where Jinn was being held he ordered us out. "No sir. As his healers, were are allowed and able to stay up until he is called for trial."

"His healers?" The voice matched the man. Rough, big and unkind. "Why this slime needs healers I couldn't say. Meet some trouble on the road?"

His smile said he knew everything. He might have even been in on the plan to have him killed. "He saved the port from a Fire Nation flank attack," I said as I gave Jinn some water with a very mild sedative to calm his nerves.

"A likely story. Murderers don't save people, they only kill." There was such hatred in his voice, such loathing. Jinn's face clouded up and I stood to my full height and stared right into the man's eye. "Problem, healer?"

"Yes. I was there when he saved the port, which is why he is in our care. Are you calling me a liar, Commander, or did I misunderstand?" I'm not a large man, and he could crush me without Bending, but right then I knew he was rethinking his position. Koko had been mostly quiet since the attack, as if she could not believe what she had seen. Right now she stared at me as if she had never seen me before.

"It must have been a misunderstanding, Benar," said Old Gran as she stepped between us, smiling up at me. "The Commander is undoubtably upset." I took a deep breath and pushed down my temper. When she turned on the man he took a hasty step back. "Stressful jobs like his can lead to hasty words, but an old woman like myself would know nothing of such things. An old woman like myself," she repeated as she took a step towards him, "who has seen the Fire Nation attacks that destroyed her home, killed her kin, scarred her loved ones, would know nothing of what a garrison commander goes through." He stepped outside the cell.

"An old woman like myself, who has treated many burns and injuries, would know the signs of Fire Bending, would know what the injuries look like, would know that Jinn is every ounce the hero you say he is not. An old woman like me," she had backed him up to the wall without even raising her voice, "would know a grieving heart when she sees one. Was it your son who was killed?"

"My youngest brother," he said. My jaw dropped. How had she known? How could she know?

"Then you have every right to feel pain and loss, but no right to condemn a man before he is convicted in a court of law. No right to refute the word of my grandson, who was there at the attack. No right at all to treat a person under your watch as if he should be killed before even found guilty." I knew her well enough to know she could Bend at any time, or use that sharp tongue. She seemed on the verge of doing both at the same time. "But a woman like me would never understand the loss of kin to murderers."

The commander turned and left as if she had physically struck him. Old Gran had been in his place and I was the one under her watch. She had let me show who I really was before condemning me.

Jinn's eyes were teared up as he looked at us. "You're amazing. All three of you. You hardly know me..."

"I know who you are not," Old Gran said as she turned back. "You are no murderer. People have died, but you did not seek it out. You are not evil, child, any more than Benar was when he was under my care. Speaking of..." Jinn let himself be treated one last time even when he thought it futile. Why heal a man who was going to die?

The trial had been short but heated. Many witnesses confessed that Jinn was a decent man who lost his mind. Few knew about the faithlessness of his dead boyfriend, but those who did told that it had been going on under his nose for a year. Some, mainly the family members, weaved tails of how Jinn was already unstable, citing his childhood problems in vivid detail. I learned more about him in that one hour span than I had in the days I had known him, and none of it seemed to phase the judge in the slightest.

"Your honor, there are some character witnesses who wished to be called."

I watched as ten people from my town came forward to testify that Jinn had saved them a world of hurt. How he had staved off the attack without help long enough for people to be gotten to safety. Jinn's face was was beaming as they heaped praises. One I saw was also one who had called him a freak. "My town might be in far worse state, your honor. I am shamed to say I acted out of ignorance without evidence as to what happened." He said the last to Jinn as he stepped down.

"I will think on what I have heard. Jinn of Tu Zin, you do not refute that your actions caused the deaths of two young people." He shook his head. "You do not refute that, in your distraught state, you Earth Bended and those who caused it died." Again he shook his head. "It seems that this, with testimonies from many people, is an act out of character. I shall think on this. Court is in recess until this afternoon." The stone gavel was knocked and all rose as the judge walked out.

The wait was worse than anything else. Jinn was quiet the entire time, hoping against hope that he would not be put to death. We were watched as we sat in the courtroom and I know they got nervous when I sat and took his hand in mine. He trembled. "No matter what happens, Jinn, guilty or not, I will stay here."

"Benar," he began but put his head on my shoulder and whispered, "Iroh. You are the best thing that has happened to me in a long time." I didn't flinch when he called me by my name. "Would that circumstances were different." I nodded. "You don't seem to care that my love was a man."

"True love cares nothing for mere plumbing," I said and he smiled. "Nor does it care about nationalities or pasts. Love accepts what is now and what could be." I don't know why I was saying this but in my heart I knew what I was doing. I didn't want to see him die because, in all his stubborn refusals to have me help, in all his pain and misery, I had come to see that Jinn was a man worthy of love. I would be lost without him now. I couldn't say what I felt for him because there were no words. He was more than a friend. He was not my lover. He was not a brother. But he was beloved by me. I don't even know how it happened.

How had he become so important to me? I had two people I loved dearly, but I never let anyone close enough to me. I had some people I liked, but few I would say I loved. Yet Jinn had come into my life, upset it all, and I loved him for it. Ever since I left the Fire Nation I had loved only two people...truth be told I only loved two people in my life...then he comes into it.

"You're stubborn you know." Jinn looked at me. "Too damned stubborn. Like the rock you Bend, you will hold fast until you break and someone has to be around to pick up the pieces." His head left my shoulders. "I'm glad it was me who was there. I will be there until the end." His worried expression softened into a smile.

"All rise," ordered the official and we stood, me returning to the spectator area.

The judge came in and sat. "You may be seated. I have thought about the facts that have been presented in this case. Jinn, will you please rise." He did and I saw that same resolve in his shoulders the day I met him. He was facing a foe he might not survive, but he went with his head held high. "Even with the testimonies, I have no choice but to find you guilty." Jinn didn't flinch, but I felt my heart drop. Koko clutched at Old Gran's shoulder. "Yet, you are not guilty of murder as we define it. You did not willfully cause their deaths. You did not seek it out. Your punishment is to never set foot in Tu Zin for a minimum of ten years. You have one hour from now to get clear of the village on penalty of death." Jinn nodded as his bonds were removed. "Young man, I hope you have learned some control over yourself and that I am not wrong in my decision. You are commanded to leave."

Jinn turned and found my eyes without even trying. The biggest smile was on his face even as tears fell. He ran right for me and into my arms, not caring that the burns were still not fully healed. Koko and Old Gran got pulled into it as well. Some few people came by to offer their best wishes in his life, but he didn't hear them. "Lets get you home," I whispered. He looked me in the eyes. "I won't let you go now. If the house is too small, we can build it bigger. If it is not enough, we can move." When he opened his mouth to speak I shut it. With a kiss. Koko giggled and Old Gran cackled at the shocked look on his face and I know I was blushing.

I was blushing more because this was my first kiss. "Not to break up the scene, but we do need to leave quickly." Old Gran was right. We made our way out of the court and into the afternoon sun. It was a short walk to my boat that would be a bit loaded with the four of us.

It took no time to go with the current and having two Water Benders speed us along had us at my dock even as the last rays of the day were dying off.

"You made it back," Genki said from the deck of the ship. I ignored him as I helped Koko out and gave her a big hug.

"I'm glad you were with me," I said to her and kissed her cheek. I could almost hear Genki's teeth grinding together.

Old Gran was helped out by Jinn. "Such a good lad you are, child. I have done all I can for your injuries. Now only time can help you with the rest, but you have that time."

"Thanks to you. Where do you go from here?"

"Where the tide takes us until the sea takes us into her embrace." Old Gran looked at me and Koko. "Girl, you are staying here." Koko didn't even look shocked, she just nodded. I smiled.

"Really? You're staying?" I would have my sister with me again!

"It'll be good for the both of us. Old Gran can teach me nothing else that I can't learn on my own, and someone should be around to help should another attack come from the water. And I can teach you a few more things."

That should be interesting. What would my energy decide to do with new Water Bending techniques? "Then I'm staying too!" My good mood just died.

"Genki, you still have some training to go," Old Gran said.

"Someone has to keep Koko safe and away...from trouble." He was looking right at me.

"Benar is capable of handling anything I can't handle myself. And Jinn will be around for awhile too." My good mood just came back. Gods she knows how to make me happy. "Is it my welfare or jealousy that drives you to stay?" Jinn's grin was doing its best not taunt Genki, but mine was not so nice.

"I...what...you...I only want what is best for you. I feel that is best accomplished with me around to protect you." I knew Genki's heart was there, but for all the wrong reasons.

"From what? The Fire Nation?" she snarked.

"From him!" he cried and pointed right at me. I was shocked he had finally spoken out what he had felt since we met. "He's not right, Koko. I feel it! Old Gran feels it, which is why she kept such a close eye on him. I don't want you hurt by him." He looked me right in the eye.

"How would I hurt her? How could I? I love Koko." Those words made Genki furious. He sent a jet of water at me, but I spun and sent it back at him. He wasn't ready for it and it knocked him on his butt.

"How...?" he sputtered.

"I love her like a sister, you ass. The one who is off is you." Oh boy...I could feel my temper rising. "You never respected me, never thought I was anything but a threat to you. Old Gran and Koko took care of me, saved my life. I owe them everything." I knew they never expected anything in return for it, either. "But I owe you nothing. You have always been a pain in my ass because YOU are the one who is off. I have never been a threat to you or anyone in the Tribe and you still think I'm going to hurt my sister?"

"She is not your sister, you nutjob! You're not even Water Tribe. You're nothing but a piece of flotsom the sea washed up. Wreckage from a Fire Nation ship." I nodded and turned around to leave. I knew I would send a bolt of Lightning up his ass if I stayed. "I'm not done with you!"

Old Gran began to yell at him, with Koko jumping in when she took a breath, and even the Captain getting a few points in since I had learned a lot under him as well. The only one who hadn't jumped to my defense was Jinn and that was because he was following me. He followed me to my Bending cove but I shook my head when he tried to follow me in. "Stay back for a few minutes. I need to let off some steam." He nodded and stayed out of the line of fire.

I went from stance to stance, Bending fire and lightning in ways I had no real control over. I was pissed off and just getting it out. A few stomps had magma spouts rising up only to get zapped into nothingness. When I began to run out of temper fueled Fire I pulled the heat from any source that let me. The water, the air, the ground...anything that wasn't alive was losing its heat. When I heard a gasp I saw Koko on the other side of a frozen wave of water. I had pulled all of the heat from a crashing wave and it had frozen in place. All around me were signs that I had been severely pissed off. "Benar..."

"He's an ass, Koko. He's lucky I'm not like them."

"Yes he is lucky. Lucky Jinn didn't capsize the boat like he appeared to want to. Lucky Old Gran didn't splash him and freeze him in a solid block of ice. Lucky I didn't kick him in the balls. Lucky the Captain didn't put him in the brig for the insults he was flinging at a member of my family." I smiled and looked at my feet. "How did you do all this?"

She stepped around the wave and used some sea water to cool the ground. Jinn joined her and was nodding his approval. "Benar has this way of thinking. Way of using our own Bending against us. He's no Earth Bender, but I would never guess by the way he uses molten rock."

"Is this what you were wanting to show me? That thing you did by the river and just now against Genki?"

I nodded. "I feel it there. Like my energy wants to do what it can't. I can't Water Bend or Earth Bend, but I do what I can with Fire. When I saw you and Old Gran tossing water back and forth I could see what you were doing and I followed along. I watched your chi swirl around the water and send it back. So I kept practicing and practicing like I always have and it worked." Without warning a small rock was hurled at me, but I felt it coming and I sent it harmlessly out into the water.

"He doesn't even need to see it," Jinn said with no small amount of pride.

"But...how?" Koko wanted to know because she was amazed. She wanted to know because it was something new to learn.

"I feel heat. Everywhere. I can use the heat. When it's from the ground I can bring up jets of flame or magma spouts, depending on what Form I use. I use my chi to direct the heat of the object, not the object itself." I showed her how my Fire Bending could bring up some flames from the ground, although there was not much left there. Then, using my adapted Earth Bending, I brought up a small magma spout.

"Silly as it is to ask...are you the Avatar?"

I laughed and so did they. We all knew the Avatar was an Air Nomad, but I was doing stuff that no one had except for maybe the Avatar. "I'm glad you're staying. Both of you."

"I better unload my things from the ship before the Captain leaves. I'll see you two back at the house." Koko left us alone.

"Benar...why? All of it...why?" Jinn sat on a rock that popped up.

"Honestly...I don't know. I mean in the beginning I simply wanted you to live and to cheat the Fire Nation of one more victory. Then, I got to know you and had come to respect you. And then, somewhere along the insanity of the road we've been on, I came to want you in my life. I don't know how to explain it, because I have never felt this way. I have only loved two people in my life and you've met both of them, but what I feel for you is not the same as I feel for them. I've never had friends really." I sat beside him. "I know I'm lonely, but I've always been lonely. Except with Old Gran and Koko. I live out here alone by choice because I don't feel like being with people very much. When I do, I just go to town and volunteer.

"But then you came into my life and I can't imagine my life without you. Seeing who you are, knowing that like me you have a past you find painful, seeing that like me you have felt the burn of the Fire Nation and have come away with scars but also a will to live. Moving on from the past is hard and sometimes it means you do it alone. I'm tired of being alone and I feel that you are too." He nodded a bit. "So I don't know why except I want you to stay with me."

"Why did you kiss me?"

"I felt like it." He grinned. Then he chuckled. "Hey, mister, feel honored. That was my first kiss." He sobered up. "Yeah. I've never kissed anyone. Not my parents, I've never had a girlfriend or boyfriend, and I've only kissed Koko and Old Gran on the cheeks." When I smiled he smiled back.

"Then I guess I must feel honored," he joked. "So...if I feel like it..."

"Yes." Jinn leaned over and kissed me.

 

END OF PART ONE

Copyright © 2005-2008 Nickelodeon Studios ; All Rights Reserved; Copyright © 2014 Fantasyboy69; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 18
  • Love 6
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction that combine worlds created by the original content owner with names, places, characters, events, and incidents that are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, organizations, companies, events or locales are entirely coincidental.
Authors are responsible for properly crediting Original Content creator for their creative works.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Stories in this Fandom are works of fan fiction. Any names or characters, businesses or places, events, or incidents are fictitious. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental. Recognized characters, events, and incidents belong to Nickelodeon Studios <br>
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Omg love it ur amazing this chapter was great and i have always been a fan of the Avatar cartoons n ur story made it seem.like i was watching and episode on TV cant wait for more....

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I don't know the Avatar cartoons but am fascinated how you blend concepts of earth, water, and fire magic with the concepts of chi and moves of martial arts. I hope to read more of this universe!

John

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Hey there, just re-read the story... for the fourth time ^^
And I was kind of wondering if you are planning on continuing the this story; as it says in the end here that it's just the first part. 

I really hope so because it's really wonderful to read and I like your adaption of the cartoon series in the story and even thinking of those

further methods Bending could actually be done. 

Really hope for a sequel. Please keep up the great work (all of your stories, and I have read every one of them at least once^^).

Thanks so much for sharing ;)

ranguun

Edited by ranguun
  • Like 1
Link to comment

I don't know much about the Avatar world, but I really enjoyed these two chapters. I liked Benar. He is a well thought out character. I also liked your supporting cast, especially Old Gran! Thanks for sharing.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..