Jump to content
    Finn
  • Author
  • 1,126 Words
  • 740 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Crossing the Horizon - 1. Chapter 1

Meet "I". "I" has everything. "I" is miserable.

Eternity. Forever.

That’s how long I’d been alive, the length of time I’ve spent in this depthless realm. Truth be told, I don’t recall being born. The first memory engraved in my mind is aimless wandering, attempting to escape from a large fountain, only to turn right around and find myself at its edge.

I live by this fountain. It’s my home. Not once in the last forever have I strayed from it. It’s always here when I turn around, regardless of how far I’ve moved away—it’s cool, clear water jetting out of the white, marble floor into a circular pool two feet deep and a dozen across. This fountain marks the center of this lonely place: my world.

Over time, I learned how not to be alone. I don’t recall when—time is impossible to track here—but, at one point, I wondered why everything was so bright. At that moment, when I imagined darkness, it manifested. The world I lived in changed from a perpetual white, cloudy dream to a darkness tinted with a dreary blue. Night.

That experiment led to another, of course, each growing in extent and complexity. I decorated the night with distant stars, and the day with pink clouds. I gave form to the emptiness around me, spawning wide, green plains, or hilly forests—even a cool midnight beach. Whatever I imagined became.

I got lonely, though, and wished for someone to share my kingdom with. Immediately, it became so. Unfortunately, rather than friend I had expected, I merely got myself… an empty, soulless copy of myself. It didn’t speak, it didn’t think. It only obeyed.

I hated it.

I hated him.

I hated me.

So, I hid his face and body with armor and called him my knight, my protector. I could make an infinite number of him, and each would be just as dull and lifeless.

Time passed, as it is wont to do. Day in and day out, I sat here, on the fountain stone, watching the sky change at my demand, listening to the forest sounds of my own fabrication, and being waited on by lifeless dolls of myself clad to faux polymers.

I wanted freedom.

Yet, it was another false fabrication, another thing I imagined for myself.

Despite this, I wished for it—my greatest whim, the freedom from all I want.

Again, my wish became.

For the first time in my life, I felt sleepy and as my eyes drooped close, darkness engulfed my vision…

 

A moment later, I opened them. Another pair—a soft, deep blue—stared back at me. I didn’t recognize the face, and that fact alone brought a smile to my face. The stranger returned it instantly, and leaned in closer to meet my lips with his own.

A kiss? Yes, a kiss. My first kiss.

“What are you smiling about?” he asked me softly, happiness ripe in his voice.

Why am I smiling? I felt myself question.

“Because you’re here,” I heard my voice answer.

Then, I realized; I wasn’t controlling myself. Or rather, I wasn’t controlling the body. It wasn’t mine.

The other boy giggled, oblivious to my bewilderment, and kissed me again. “Cute.”

My hands, subconsciously, wrapped around the boy and pulled him closer, pressing his warmth to mine. Soon, this body was snugly within his.

A hug. So that’s what a real hug felt like. Warmth, security, affection. Happiness.

I heard a sniffle. It took a moment to realize my body had made it. The boy before me pulled back quickly, to meet my eyes again.

With a confused look on his face, he questioned, “Why are you crying, Babe?”

“I, I don’t know,” I heard the body answer.

Somehow, I could tell it really didn’t. I’d influenced it to cry. Maybe I wasn’t so powerless after all.

“Don’t cry,” the boy whispered to me. “I hate it when you cry.” Again, his arms surrounded me and held tightly.

Sweet warmth.

A tear rolled down my cheek. The saltiness took me by surprise, as did the cool stream it left behind on my cheek.

Tears. They felt good. I liked them.

The boy held me until the tears stopped flowing. At that point, he brushed my cheeks dry planted upon them a loving kiss each. I giggled, the body giggled, the other entity giggled.

The other entity. At last, I noticed the true holder of this body: a boy, standing beside me.

“Who are you?” I asked it.

“I’m me,” he answered, contently.

“Who is Me?”

He smiled, replying, “You are you.”

I cringed with confusion. “What??”

He turned, then, and pointed into the darkness that lay behind us, away from the visions fed to us by the physical body. “You’re him.”

I turned and stared into the darkness. It was only a short moment before I noticed, in a massive array of visions, my real body floating easily on the fountain water.

“Where is this?” I asked.

“This is me,” the boy shrugged, pointing back to the image of the other boy. He was still beside us, holding us firmly.

“How’d I get here?”

He smiled again. “You cried out, I answered, you came.”

I realized, then, that this boy was me. A different me, from a different world… my yearning for freedom linked him to me, allowed me access.

“Are we the only ones?” I whispered.

“No,” he returned, after a moment of staring into the darkness. “At least, I doubt we are. I mean, existence is a big place… Why’d you come?”

“I looked back towards my own world, saw my body floating, peacefully asleep, through the eyes of my knights. “My world’s a prison.”

He nodded passively, shrugged again. “It can feel that way.” Silence stood between us, we stared at my world. It had reverted to its natural dead state, my control over it diminished.

“Gonna stay?” I heard him ask.

“Can I?”

“I don’t know,” he giggled. “If you want. I don’t mind your presence.”

We looked back into the world through his eyes—where the other boy had fallen asleep against us, his rhythmic breath against our ear the only sign of our lives.

Seeing him, for the first time in my life, I felt intimacy—a link to another entity far deeper than I’d ever felt before.

It felt amazing—a feeling you don’t easily forget. Love, perhaps?

“Yes,” the boy beside me said. “That’s love.”

I looked at him, questioned, “You can hear my thoughts?”

“Can’t you hear mine?”

I listened. Ecstasy, happiness, completeness—all of it flowed into my heart. What strange emotions.

“Indeed; we really strange creatures.”

I looked at him, then, and, for the first time ever, I saw myself.

Copyright © 2013 Finn; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Finn. Finn. Finn. I love your shirt. (That's a metaphore for existence) LOL.

Thoughts as I read this and take notes: Eternity. Forever. Olam and Aion. One thing you don't point out is that forever WILL end.

First sentence. Two words. Homonyms. Isn't Eternity the same as Forever. Well. Etrenity is an idea. Time, however, is a measurement of duration. Therefore, eternity is the same as forever and cannot happen. The only place in time that exists is NOW. So, i read this work as if it IS. Now.

Likes: The fountain metaphor. The fountain of life. I liked those random thoughts of progenation. I like the image of a duplicate self. A triplicate self?

I question if you asked for freedom, why didn't it manifest?

2nd Part. I get loneliness. Not used to love, or being loved. Alienated. Lack of emotion, hence the surprise when the tears come. I also get the narrator wishes to be someone else in the now.

My world's a prison - translate. I am a being of shackled circumstance. I want freedom. I want love.

This is a difficult thing, to interpret random thoughts in the mind. Many people might get different messages from this work. These are the messages I got whilst reading.

There is no right or wrong here. A brave effort to bear your innermost thoughts. You are a deep thinker.

Finn. Finn. Finn. I like your shirt.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 03/18/2013 07:37 AM, LJH said:
Finn. Finn. Finn. I love your shirt. (That's a metaphore for existence) LOL.

Thoughts as I read this and take notes: Eternity. Forever. Olam and Aion. One thing you don't point out is that forever WILL end.

First sentence. Two words. Homonyms. Isn't Eternity the same as Forever. Well. Etrenity is an idea. Time, however, is a measurement of duration. Therefore, eternity is the same as forever and cannot happen. The only place in time that exists is NOW. So, i read this work as if it IS. Now.

Likes: The fountain metaphor. The fountain of life. I liked those random thoughts of progenation. I like the image of a duplicate self. A triplicate self?

I question if you asked for freedom, why didn't it manifest?

2nd Part. I get loneliness. Not used to love, or being loved. Alienated. Lack of emotion, hence the surprise when the tears come. I also get the narrator wishes to be someone else in the now.

My world's a prison - translate. I am a being of shackled circumstance. I want freedom. I want love.

This is a difficult thing, to interpret random thoughts in the mind. Many people might get different messages from this work. These are the messages I got whilst reading.

There is no right or wrong here. A brave effort to bear your innermost thoughts. You are a deep thinker.

Finn. Finn. Finn. I like your shirt.

!! Ahahahah, many thanks, Sir Louis!

 

Yes, the whole thing was pretty aimless from the start; glad to see you agree it's interpretation is entirely at the reader's discretion.

 

I won't divulge too much, as then what the author really meant would be known (and that's not too cool, I've heard?), but I'll bite on some light details...

 

Mostly the largest one, concerning the speaker's freedom. It manifested--he did get out of his "prison", at the end, didn't he? Of course, it should be noted that there's a comment as to the state of his world /after he (or rather, his consciousness) left/... "It had reverted to its natural dead state".

 

Perhaps forever's end is alluded to? ;)

 

Anyway, Glad you enjoyed it. There's much room to expand and explore further into the concepts you've pointed out, but I think it's universal(!!) enough as it is.

 

And universality goes well with perpetuity, neh?

 

Ahahaha,

 

Finn~~

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Finn, I quite liked this story. Your prose is good and you have some great ideas here. I read this story several times in order to better understand it, but I only have a few interpretations. I'm assuming these alternative "me's" are ones from another dimension, an alternate reality, a demonstration of quantum, and they were somehow called across these realities. I'm not too sure I understand that particular process in your story, but you explored the intangible questions of what it means to exist in your body, whether there are others out there, while tying in tangible human emotions. I like that.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 03/18/2013 08:41 AM, Luc Rosen said:
Finn, I quite liked this story. Your prose is good and you have some great ideas here. I read this story several times in order to better understand it, but I only have a few interpretations. I'm assuming these alternative "me's" are ones from another dimension, an alternate reality, a demonstration of quantum, and they were somehow called across these realities. I'm not too sure I understand that particular process in your story, but you explored the intangible questions of what it means to exist in your body, whether there are others out there, while tying in tangible human emotions. I like that.
Thanks mate... I find it infinitely amusing we were both typing reviews of the other's work at the same time.

 

Yessum, I can bite on this without giving out too much.... The speak is meant to exist in a world that isn't quite, tangible; it's not /real/, as "our" world "is". (It's why the speaker can control it, he "owns" it [Or does it own him? ;) ].)

 

Consequently, because of his unnatural existence, he can "cross" and "touch" the other worlds--ours, in this case. Sort of, like a world running perpendicular through/alongside the standard parallel ones?

 

Thing is, this is based on some other idea I've toyed around with in my head. Lots of dabbling with the supernatural (thing good versus evil, order versus chaos) and just what existence is/means.

 

I hope this answers your question.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Wow, after reading your story and reading the reviews, I feel like I should take a Philosophy class. lol

 

Finn, this was truly an excellent piece of work. It really gets your mind thinking about other existences besides ours, other realities.

 

I love how you incorporated 'three' of your beings and put armor on them and crowned them your knights and protectors and how the other boy is really you (the person) in another realm.

 

I feel like I should be reading Nietzsche now! lol

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 03/18/2013 11:31 AM, Lisa said:
Wow, after reading your story and reading the reviews, I feel like I should take a Philosophy class. lol

 

Finn, this was truly an excellent piece of work. It really gets your mind thinking about other existences besides ours, other realities.

 

I love how you incorporated 'three' of your beings and put armor on them and crowned them your knights and protectors and how the other boy is really you (the person) in another realm.

 

I feel like I should be reading Nietzsche now! lol

Thanks! Writing should get one thinking. ;P

 

Although, the lack of names has led to the amusing situation where I'm not quite sure what you're about, aha, aha.

 

The speaker isn't really me--I am loath to plant myself my my writings--and the "other boy", well, I'm not sure which one you mean. xD

 

There's the one he sees through the body's eyes, who is just your generic true lover (;P), and the "other entity", who is the speaker's "other me".

 

Yes, headaches about.... Lol.

 

WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT. I--I, me, Finn--AM NOT IN THIS. D:

 

Oh God, this /is/ a headache. Q_Q *crawls back into the darkness*

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..