Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Perfect Gift - 1. Chapter 1

My case is hopeless, I have absolutely no idea what to do. I’m stumped. February has crept up on me and showed itself to the world and yet, with less than a week to go before Valentine’s day, I have no clue what to give to my lover. We’ve gone out for almost a year now and I want to find a special present, something that I would be proud to give. I needed that one item that ten years from now he would still cherish. Something that would become his prize possession.

Valentine’s day might be the most cliché time to give a gift to your boyfriend and to declare your love for all to know. But even if that is true, is there a better than any other time to demonstrate how you feel for someone? That day, that single day, has special meaning for any couple, no? It’s been that way ever since Chaucer wrote these immortal words more than six centuries ago:

For this was on seynt Volantynys day
Whan euery bryd comyth there to chese [choose] his make [mate].

So, there I was, wandering up and down the long crowded aisles of the mall, trying to find the one thing that would make me stand out from every other guy. You see, I was trying to find that unique pearl, so to speak. I should rather say that I was trying to find the inspiration that would lead me to the perfect gift.

I had already been to that music store, the one that we go to every other week. Yes, I saw that new album from his favourite artist. And I could just see in my head the image of him ripping through the paper to find that CD. I knew that he would certainly like it. But it was so obvious. The last time I was in that store with him, he took the disc into his hand and admired it from every angle. I could just see how desperately he wanted to buy it, but he just didn’t have the money so he reluctantly put it back on the shelf. It was eating him alive not to have that music playing in between his ears.

But just an album, a mere collection of songs? I couldn’t give that to someone I love. I mean no insult to those that would have found it quite sufficient. A CD could have made a very good present. There was nothing wrong with it. I just thought that it was too easy, it wouldn’t have been special. A simple gift wasn’t what I was aiming for, as he was too special in my eyes for something as basic as a CD.

I decided to go into the department store. I had no idea why. My ideal gift to Nathan wouldn’t be satisfied by bed sheets, towels or appliances. So I went to the men’s clothing department. “Is that really what I want?” I asked myself. Usually people don’t like to be given clothes. Sure, when you get shirts or pants from your parents for your birthday or Christmas it’s all right, because you always need new clothes. But for Valentine’s Day? That’s not exactly the sweetest gift I could imagine.

I passed by the underwear display and I stopped and smiled to myself. That could certainly be a good idea, I said to myself. Knowing him as well as I did, I knew that it would be a fun idea. He really loves underwear. It’s his thing, he can never have enough. He likes to have different brands, fabrics, makes, styles. He would have enjoyed getting a nice pair of undies, that was for sure. But then again, I realized that it would be crass and send the message that I only wanted to get into his pants. Well, maybe that was the truth, but it wasn’t all I wanted. I was looking for something more passionate, I wanted us to make love.

At the end of the afternoon, I had given up all hope that I’d find what I wanted. I walked back home, feeling that I wasn’t better off than at the start of the day. In fact, I was worse off than before, I had lost an entire day and had nothing to show for it.

I went to bed that night feeling hopeless. All I could think of was my Nathan and how I didn’t want to disappoint him. After a long period of tossing and turning, I finally managed to fall asleep. I could see him in my dreams and it made me feel so warm and happy. I could see his glowing face, his broad smile, his sparkling bright blue eyes looking at me. I could remember how he smells when he holds me tightly. I could just see the lust in his eyes as I gently go inside him. In fact, the only thing that I could not picture was not having him with me for the rest of our days.

It was already the day before the V-Day and I still had no clue about what to give Nathan. I dejectedly came to the conclusion that I’ll just have to get that album. I knew it was something he’d appreciate. I would simply have to forget my instinct to find the perfect symbol of my love for him. Suddenly, I saw the light and figured out what would make the night perfect and memorable and I went to work to make my idea a reality.

I woke up very excited as I knew that Nathan would be happy with what I had prepared for him. I dressed and readied myself and went to school as if it were any other day. Because he was one grade younger than me, we didn’t share any classes together. The first time we got to see each other was in the cafeteria during lunch. When I saw him, I confirmed that we were still going to his place after class ended.

The rest of the school day went so slowly as I kept getting more and more anxious -- I wanted to give Nathan what I had made for him. Finally, the last bell rang, liberating me from a never ending class. I rapidly grabbed my knapsack from my locker and went to meet Nathan, who was waiting for me. I walked with him to his place and we hung out as usual in his room.

Soon we went downstairs to eat. After dinner, it was finally time and we went back to Nathan’s room. I was barely inside when Nathan closed the door behind me and presented me with a small wrapped package and then planted a kiss on me.

I was so enraptured by the kiss, I realized that I had nearly forgotten about what I had for him. I rummaged through my backpack and found the little box I had made for him and handed it to Nathan as our lips locked once again.

He refused to open the box before I had unwrapped his gift first. I tore off the paper decorated with hearts to find a CD from my favourite artist. Before I even had the time to speak, he urged me to open the case. I did as I was told only to discover that it had been autographed. I jumped up and down and smiled and, of course, after I blanketed Nathan with kisses.

After I had calmed down, he finally opened my gift. For a moment, I felt really bad. I had butterflies in my stomach because I thought that his present was ten times better than mine. My worry didn’t last long because I soon saw a sparkle in his eyes that told me that he loved what I had given him.

He asked me if I had made it myself. I nodded. He then asked me to put it on for him. So I gently took his arms in mine and placed the small piece of jewelry onto his right arm. The charm bracelet was made of a braid of multi-colour string I had painstaking tied together. It had a heart-shaped charm hanging from the string where I etched our initials into it. After I was done, he pulled me into a tight embrace and whispered into my ears that he would never take it off.

Maybe Nathan won’t be with me in ten days, ten months or ten years. But I can say this for sure, every time Nathan looks at that bracelet, he’ll remember our special Valentine’s day and my love for him.

Copyright © 2011 FrenchCanadian; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 8
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

... Love is in the air... and in your story.

I'm over 20 years with my lover and still wonder how to excite him again and again.. Just the way you wrote this story. Thanks. A nice short story.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..