Jump to content
    Hamen Cheese
  • Author
  • 3,544 Words
  • 6,295 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Adamagika: The Spirit Within - 20. Ch 20: New Recruits

CHAPTER 20: New Recruits

Javier said on our way back that he would have no choice but to ignore us once we entered the city. He didn’t do that though. We weren’t hanging out like friends or anything but he never ignored us. In the rare moments we would encounter each other in the halls, he would often smile at Jacob and me. Sometimes, it looked like a sad smile, especially if he was with other people at the time. It gave me the feeling that he would rather have been with us than his present company.

Two days after we arrived, I knew something serious was up. Not being in school had its advantages in being able to observe the small world of Arantiva. A lot of the mages involved in administration scurried about in the castle. Many of them spoke in hushed voices as though afraid of being overheard. There was a sense of calm and wariness that enveloped the city and I was wondering if the school was feeling the same thing.

I also discovered that the Mage Council has been in constant session since we arrived. I wondered if it had something to do with what happened in the Seer’s Cave. Jacob suggested that they were probably discussing security in the Hallean Mountains given what happened to us. Somehow though, I knew it was something more important that. Arantiva has not been that tense for as long as I could remember.

I also had a certain decision to make. Before we left, Magister Aenhol had given me an Aerophalanx helmet for my birthday. The large, bulky helmet was still sitting in our room. I asked myself if it was really what I wanted. The Seer said that being an Aerophalanx was in my future, but I didn’t want to make that decision just because she said so. After all, there were a number of things she predicted that I disagreed with.

I read a bit more about the Aerophalanxes. As it turned out, they were as old as the city of Arantiva. The gryphons, which in a way defined the Aerophalanxes, first became allies under the governance of the mage Arantius. I found it odd that books referred to them as “allies” instead of “mounts”. I suppose there was something hidden there that I couldn’t derive from the text. I learned from the text that they played a critical role in the Demon Wars and actually swayed the tides of battle by bringing death from above.

It was odd really. Before the option of becoming an Aerophalanx came up, I hadn’t really noticed the gryphons that would often fly throughout the city. It seemed I was really too immersed in books and the solitude they brought to realize that there were massive lion-like eagles flying around the towers of the city. I watched them in awe as they maneuvered through the sky out of the city, presumably to train or perhaps just take a ride out.

Jacob was starry eyed in watching the gryphons soar through the sky. He spoke enthusiastically about me joining the Aerophalanxes saying they were the coolest thing in the world. Every now and then, I would see jealousy flash through his eyes and I understood why. Jacob wanted to be an Aerophalanx. I had no doubt that if he was given the option, he wouldn’t hesitate to take it, like the way I was at that moment. That, if anything, made me finally decide that I would follow the path of an Aerophalanx. Everyone else seemed to see it as something great. Perhaps, I simply didn’t see something that was obviously there for everyone else to see. Of course, it also crossed my mind that if this was so important to Jacob then maybe I could find a way to get him in too by accepting the offer.

On the third sunrise after our return, Jacob and I went to Magister Aenhol and informed him of my decision to join the Aerophalanxes. He seemed delighted with the news and informed me to head to the Armory the following day before dawn. He would make sure that someone was there to brief me.

I also decided to run the idea by him about Jacob joining because I knew Jacob wouldn’t ask by himself. Jacob turned three different shades of pink but I could see in his eyes that he was secretly pleased.

Magister Aenhol studied us for a moment before saying that it wasn’t his decision to make. I would have to ask Lady Helena that question.

“One more thing, Adam,” he said. “I will be leaving tomorrow for a few days.”

“To go to the Derviks, sir?”

He nodded and then smiled. “That means I won’t be around to assist you with any dilemmas you might get into. You’re not going to get into any trouble, are you.” He said it in such a way that it didn’t sound like a question.

I gave him the best smile I could muster and nodded. I saw something sparkle in his eyes though as if he already knew I was going to get into trouble. Before I could ask him about it, he walked away almost as if he was in a hurry to leave us behind. With nothing left to do there, Jacob and I made our way out of the Academy.

“You didn’t have to ask on my behalf,” Jacob said softly.

“I know, but I wanted to,” I said as I took his hand in mine. “There’s no guarantee though, Jacob. I don’t know how they pick who can become an Aerophalanx.”

He stopped me so suddenly while still holding my hand that I almost lost my balance. He pulled me towards him and I felt my body slam into his hard, muscular body. My face almost banged into his. “The fact that you were thoughtful enough to ask on my behalf is more than I could ask for,” he said. He then planted a soft, wet kiss on my lips. Right then, I would have fought an entire squad of Aerophalanxes just to get him in.

He laughed at what I presumed was a goofy look on my face.

“Come on,” he said. “Let’s go to the Ice Queen’s Taverna. I want to tell the others the good news.” He said it with so much enthusiasm that it almost seemed like he was the one becoming an Aerophalanx.

The image of the Ice Queen in the Seer’s cave flashed across my mind and I fidgeted slightly before Jacob. He didn’t seem to notice anything in his excitement though so I quickly put it out of the mind.

“Sure,” I said. I realized then that he hadn’t let go of my hand. I looked at him and he was staring back. He had a half-excited, half-nervous look in his face. For a moment, his eyes lingered on our clasped hands before meeting my own again. “It’s ok,” I whispered as I loosened my grip on his hand. The smile on his face drooped as he slackened his own grip but before he could truly let go, I tightened my hold again. This time, I laced my fingers between his so that they intertwined with one another.

He opened his mouth slightly as though he was going to protest before a dazed and satisfied look planted itself on his face. He looked absolutely goofy and it was my turn to laugh.

We made our way hand-in-hand down the path that lead out of the castle. Since we still stayed in the garden in front of the Academy, we passed several of the students that go to the school. Some of them gave us curious looks. A few even managed to look surprised. For the most part though, we were mostly ignored as we always were. I figured that the few who noticed wouldn’t care in the end anyway.

I didn’t mind at all really. As long as I had Jacob, it didn’t matter if anyone else spoke to me or not.

We exchanged what undoubtedly were silly looking glances and smiles all the way to the Taverna. We got there in record time or so it seemed anyway since the time just seemed to fly by as we headed there. Almost too soon, we found ourselves in the familiar environment of our favorite “inn”.

As we entered, we immediately caught the attention of the Ice Queen who was standing in front of the bar. Flies seemed to be hovering around her red feathered headpiece as though they finally sensed the chicken carcass that was undoubtedly hidden inside. Her face became serious and for the briefest moment, shivers raced through my skin. It went away though when she opened her mouth.

“Now whaaat?” she bellowed half-way across the room as she made her way towards us. The dead chicken loomed precariously on her head.

“We’d like to buy a drink,” I said.

Her face lit up momentarily before her eyes narrowed like daggers. “You got any money?” she screeched.

I took out the money bag I’ve been using to keep the money Magister Aenhol has been giving me. I shook it in the air and it jangled its noticeable contents.

The Ice Queen started salivating. “Jaaarik” she shrieked towards the bar.

Jorik exited from the bar’s backroom with a disgruntled look on his face. “What ya want, woman?”

She looked slightly miffed by his question but then spun her face towards us again. A few flies were swatted in midair and scurried away in protest.

“These gentlemen would like a drink,” she said as she ushered us towards the bar stools, “paid for by them of course.”

Jorik grunted. “Fine. Fine. Ya woulda thought they’d learned the first time they drank here.”

Apparently the Ice Queen took that as a complement because she beamed. “My work here is done,” she said. “I have other customers to attend to.” She turned on her heels and bustled away no doubt to the chagrin of other patrons.

“What do ya boys want?”

“Anything but apple cider,” Jacob whispered sullenly.

“Well, I ain’t givin’ ya anything with alcohol” Jorik sputtered.

“Don’t be such a spoiled sport,” said a familiar voice behind us.

“Phillip!” I yelled. I almost didn’t recognize him. He wasn’t in his usually gruff bar attire. Instead, he was wearing what looked remotely like formal clothes. Long white sleeves stretched along his lanky frame. A very thin red tie that looked like silk was loosely hanging from his neck as though he was in the process of taking it off (or in the brief fantasy that crossed my mind, was in the process of being taken off by me). The whole ensemble made him look even more delicious even if ties were already slowly making their way to the archaic relics of the past. After all, ties did not exactly go well with mage robes.

Oddly though, I didn’t feel as strong an attraction to him as I would have maybe a week ago. It was then that I realized that my feelings had fallen for only one boy. Without meaning to, I took Jacob’s hand in mine. The gesture caught him by surprise as his wide eyes grew but again they settled into that sated puppy dog look.

Phillip didn’t miss the motion. “It’s about time,” he said.

Jorik looked over at what Phillip was paying attention to and saw our clasped hands. “Gadamit!” he bellowed.

“Pay up!” Phillip declared with a smug smile as he made his way behind the bar. Jorik took several coins out of his pockets and dropped them with a sigh on the counter for Phillip to collect.

“What just happened?” I asked as Jacob and I took the raised seats in front of Jorik and Phillip.

“Jorik and I had a bet,” Phillip clarified. “I bet that you two would end up together before this month ended and he bet that you wouldn’t. You two look so sweet together without even trying that it was bound to happen. I was rooting for you two.”

“You mean you don’t like Adam?” Jacob said. He must have realized that he said that aloud as he suddenly blushed a deep red.

Phillip looked at him as though confused for a moment before a wide smile spread on his slender face (or rather his smile became wider since he always had a smile on his face). “Of course I like Adam,” he said, “but as a friend. I’m sorry to tell you but I like girls exclusively. Sorry Adam if that’s what you wanted. I’m afraid you don’t have the right package.”

Jacob’s face showed every bit of relief he felt at that moment and I punched him lightly on the shoulders. He pretended to be in immense pain and we all broke into laughter except Jorik who, for the most part, still looked disgruntled for losing money. A hint of a smile was playing on his lips though.

The sound of two bottles dropping on the bar caught our attention.

“Imma only do this once. I expect these to be finished by the time I get back,” Jorik whispered before heading to the back room.

I was perplexed by what he meant. Phillip took the two bottles in his hands and squeezed tightly. The bottles froze over and frosting built around the glass. “Real drinks for the real gents,” he said before handing the bottles to us.

“You mean this has alcohol?” Jacob asked in surprise.

“Yes,” Phillip responded. “It’s the weakest one we have but it still has quite a punch. People go here to get drunk mostly or at least very, very tipsy. The magic we use on these drinks sort of enhances the effects of the alcohol. I’m sure it will give you underage tarts quite a buzz.” He shrugged as though I had asked him a question before adding, “for some reason the magic gets amplified the younger the consumer.”

Phillip went around the bar and got himself a bottle as well. It was different from my own. It was likely an even stronger beverage.

It was about ten minutes before Jorik returned. During the time he was away, we updated Phillip with the changes that have been happening. Eventually, I told him about my joining the Aerophalanxes. He seemed ecstatic about that piece of information and gave his own surprise which explained the unusual attire he was in.

“I’m joining the Mage Army,” he said proudly. “It’s nothing fancy like the Aerophalanxes but I get to serve the city alongside other mages on the ground. It seems to me that they are recruiting every mage capable of combat into the Army. You’d almost think we were preparing for war,” he laughed.

I laughed half-heartedly. In the back of my head, I knew there was probably some truth it those words. I took tentative sips of the drink in my hand. After what Jacob said about the apple cider, I was worried about anything else the place had to offer. It didn’t taste too bad though, so I took several more gulps. It had a weird effect on my throat as it made its way down. It almost seemed to cool and heat my body at the same time.

“How do you train in the Army?” Jacob asked.

“Oh I haven’t started training yet,” Phillip replied. It was at this time that Jorik decided to rejoin us. “I’m actually starting tomorrow morning.”

“Really? I’m starting with the Aerophalanxes tomorrow too,” I responded happily as I took a few more sips. “What a coincidence, huh?” Jorik snorted and seemed like he was about to say something but held himself back. “What’s wrong?”

“Jorik here,” Phillip answered for him, “does not believe in coincidences. He thinks everything is moved by fate or by people controlling fate.”

“Is all that Magister Aenhol’s fault,” Jorik said almost defensively. He seemed almost annoyed with himself. “I swear that man knows so many things about the future, he shoulda become a seer.”

“Things like what?” I asked curiously.

“Well, for starters, like you two joinin’ up with tha army and the aeros,” he said.

“Well, I did tell him on Adam and Jacob’s birthday that I was thinking of joining the army,” Phillip interrupted.

“Yeah, but he knew before then,” Jorik said. “And, it was like he didn’ have a shred of doubt when he said it, that man. You could see it in his eyes. I swear it’s freaky what some of you mages can do.”

“What else has he told you?” I asked trying to keep my voice calm.

Jorik raised an eyebrow at me. “Well, aren’t we a curious beaver?” I gave him a somewhat passive look. I wondered how much information Magister Aenhol might share with Jorik. Like, maybe he knew something about the attack that’s supposed to happen on Arantiva. I wondered if this seemingly normal bartender was more than he seemed to be.

“What’s going to happen to your job here?” I heard Jacob ask Phillip. This caught my attention and I turned to Phillip to hear his response.

Phillip’s smile faltered by a little. “Well, I don’t really want to leave Jorik here,” he said with a half-glance at the older man, “but I won’t be able to train with the Army and bartend here at the same time except during weekends. So if you want to catch me here, I’ll still be here twice a week.”

“Bah, you don’t have to worry about us here. We’ll be fine without ya,” Jorik huffed as he picked up a clean glass and started dirtying it with the rug on his belt. His eyes looked genuinely sad and I realized how close these two unlikely friends must have become.

“You big softy,” Phillip said as he slugged Jorik playfully. “I know you’re going to miss my charming presence around here.”

Jorik merely grunted before disappearing to the back room. I had a sneaking suspicion that he wanted to escape from us before the waterworks started.

We spoke to Phillip for a few more minutes before saying goodbye. I was feeling a little lightheaded. I looked down at my drink and realized that it was almost completely finished. I did it without even realizing what I was doing, but I knew then that the alcohol was finally taking its toll. I’m guessing that having an empty stomach didn’t help me either. Once I stood up to leave, I felt dizzy and had to grab Jacob for support. Jacob didn’t seem to be in a better shape than me and we had to lean on each other to drag ourselves out of the bar. I heard Phillip’s laughter from behind us. He bellowed a farewell shout that sounded remarkably like “weak sauce”. I must not have heard correctly.

We headed back towards the castle. Jacob was laughing at me the whole way or so it seemed anyway because I didn’t see anything funny around us. It didn’t bother me so much though. I think I was laughing all the way too though I had no idea what I was laughing about. In truth, I was really only paying partial attention to what was happening around us and the parts I did notice seemed, for the lack of a better word, happier. I felt like the world was smiling at me.

We passed a few students who laughed at us (at least I think they did, I couldn’t quite remember anymore). Soon enough, we found ourselves standing in front of a familiar door with the numbers 317 engraved on it.

Jacob fumbled for the doorknob. Once we finally managed to open the door amidst all our senseless giggles, we hurriedly closed it. Jacob started undressing me, no doubt to prepare me for bed. I was just lolling there trying to stay upright to help him. Eventually I was standing there down to nothing but my boxers. Jacob hesitated for a moment as though he was contemplating something. I couldn’t really tell because my eyes were only half open by then. I felt like I was somewhere between heaven and sleep.

After what seemed like an eternity, I felt Jacob’s arm leading me to bed. He must have managed to strip down as well because when I saw him tucking me into the bed, he was also wearing only his underwear although something seemed to be wrong with his boxers. They seemed unusually bigger in the front.

I welcomed the soft feel of the bed beneath me. I felt, more than saw, Jacob slide into the space next to me. I turned to face him and snuggled next to him until our faces were inches apart. I sighed with a contented look on my face.

“Are you okay?” he asked softly.

“Perfect,” I managed to reply just as the gentle hands of sleep finally clasped at the last remnants of my consciousness. “I love you, Jacob,” I whispered softly before falling into a deep sleep.

Somewhere in my dreams, I heard a sniffle accompanied by a faint whisper, “I love you too, Adam.”

Disclaimer: This story is a work of fiction. It is an adventure story but contains some elements of a romantic relationship between two consenting teens. If reading such is offensive to you or illegal in your location, do not read further. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author reserves the right to distribute this story.
  • Like 10
  • Love 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..