Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A Time to Heal - 12. Chapter 12

Fall in the mountains is always peaceful. The trees turn from green to a pallette of red, browns, golds, and yellows. There is a crispness to the air signalling that soon the Winter snows will fall coating the earth in white. Izahk turned to me in our bed, "Will you come with me to Granny's church for the Homecoming on Sunday?". In his Angel Work, he had been working with the young people at the church teaching them how to sing. Each Wednesday night, he would come home excited with their progress. "I am proud of them, sir, they try hard to learn voice control. I teach them the basics just like the professor taught me". They all called him' Mr. Izahk'. A lady in the church that everyone called Miss Edie seemed to have taken a fancy to Mr Izahk. All the kids loved her, doing whatever she wanted knowing that they would get one of her, "UH UH UH's" and a stern look if they misbehaved. Homecoming was an all-day event where former members and friends would assemble at the church for a service and a meal enjoying catching up on their lives.

"Do I need to bring anything for the meal, Baby?"

"Oh no..there will be plenty". Traditionally each person would bring a dish for everyone to share.

When we arrived at the church, the parking area was packed with people milling about visiting. As we got out of my truck, I saw a young man come running to Izahk for a hug. 'Mr Izahk, Mr Izahk". I saw Izahk lean over to hug him saying, "How's my Jermaine today?" He had spoken of a shy boy named Jermaine who was thirteen and his older sister, Tracie, who was fifteen. They were Miss Edie's grandkids. Jermaine was a handsome young man with 'The Tarlton' eyes..a blue-green with gold specks.

'Jermaine, please meet Mr Branson". I shook his hand. When those Tarlton eyes looked at me, I saw Izahk's eyes. His skin was the color of an almond with curly poodle hair falling in tight ringlets. In the bright sun, it showed a slight red cast. Izahk explained that they had to go get into their choir robes. I mingled amongst the crowd until we all assembled in the church. It was packed. The pastor welcomed us all. I saw Izahk in his white choir robe sitting with the choir in their white robes. I thought to myself, "He looks like an angel". They sang a lovely old hymn then the pastor announced that the young folk would sing a special number. Izahk stepped from the choir as the young people came from various parts of the congregation to stand before the choir on the stage. Izahk had his back to us to lead them in a song. I saw him raise his hands then the pianist began to play. They started to sing Oh Happy Day. I thought it odd, but shortly into the song, Izahk stopped them. Then I saw him point to his heart. He then motioned to Jermaine to step forward to stand beside him facing the audience. He then leaned over to whisper something to the boy. Then he motioned to the painist to begin again. This time, the kids were animated, singing with their hearts, swaying with the music. Little Jermaine took the lead singing with his heart. It seems everyone knew how shy he was and were stunned that he would sing with such boldness. The audience began swaying with the music. At one point, Jermaine hit a high note with even Izahk shocked. He turned to the boy touching his heart. That boy could wail. He had everyone on their feet swaying and clapping along with him. I thought that Izahk would burst with pride. Those kids stole the show. I could see that Izahk had taught them to sing with the heart. I felt like a proud grandpa. My boy had taught his kids the basics then built upon that.

After the service, Miss Edie caught me alone. "Mr. Branson, I want you to know that Izahk's grandpa and my father were half-brothers..I am going to tell Izahk that when I catch him alone". So that was why he and Jermaine both had the Tarlton eyes. "Now, honey, I want you to enjoy the food and eat plenty". I noticed that Izahk was always surrounded by people and that Jermaine didnt get an inch away from 'Mr Izahk'. Everyone was congratulating the boy on his singing and 'Proud Papa' was glowing with pride over the shy boy.

On the way home, as Izahk was driving, He said, 'Miss Edie told me that her father and my grandpa were half-brothers. That makes me her cousin and that makes Jermaine and Tracie my cousins, too. I have a family".

"Yes, baby, you have a family and they love you". He seemed pleased to know he had relatives. Both his granny and his grandpa had passed on leaving him alone. "Jermaine has your eyes. He is a beautiful young man" He smiled.

"He is so shy. I couldnt believe it when I heard him sing today. Normally, he will barely sing above a whisper"Notes:

Copyright © 2011 Harmon Anderson; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..