Jump to content
    hayven
  • Author
  • 1,915 Words
  • 2,197 Views
  • 13 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Dancing - 1. Chapter 1

This was it. My last dance in this class. The last thing I do before I leave this school. And the last thing I will do with Michael.

---

I had chosen Contemporary Dance as an elective on a whim. It didn’t make sense to me at that time, and still doesn’t make sense. Why would an aspiring investment banker take a class in dancing? Still, it seemed like an easy credit.

I was worried at the start of the term when Professor Deenerman told us that we had to dance in pairs for the entire semester. Our pair would then perform a final piece at the end of the class. I was worried, because my dance experience involved being forced by my mother to learn ballet when I was 7. I quit when I was 15 after being bullied, and now, 7 years later, I wasn’t sure if I could summon any of that grace again.

When Deenerman announced that she would be pairing us up and that she would pair experienced individuals with amateurs, I got even more nervous. I didn’t want to make a fool of myself and dancing with someone with tons of experience was sure to do that. Heck, some of the girls in the class looked like they could lift and throw me at the wall as part of their dance routines.

“Michael Bink, you are going to be partnered with Kameron Milac.”

That was the first time I heard his name. I remembered my heart sinking as I saw who my designated dance partner was. Why would Deenerman arrange for two men to dance together? That’s just… that’s just wrong! Isn’t the man supposed to lead or something?

That showed how much I knew about contemporary dance. Turns out, it didn’t matter the gender of who I danced with. It was all about their skill and ability in interpreting the dance.

Michael was definitely experienced. He had been taking Deenerman’s dance classes for 4 years, and was involved in a youth dance group before that. We never talked much when we got together to practice our dances – he seemed naturally quiet and I felt awkward given how much we had to touch each other.

Still, watching Michael dance was probably the most mesmerizing thing ever. Years of dancing had given him this sleek body, further accentuated by the grace of his movements. He wasn’t overly muscular, but had a really strong compact body that was definitely suited for the crazy movements and lifting that we did for our routines. I kept in shape by going to the gym regularly, but still found myself often falling behind whenever we had to do our jumps and lifts and twirls.

Our class with Deenerman was pretty unique in that we never met as an entire class aside from the first and last session. She would make appointments with us regularly to watch us dance and give us tips and suggestions as well as new assignments. In that respect, until our final project, she was the only person who ever saw me and Michael together.

“Kameron, don’t be afraid to touch him.” That was her first comment to me. From then onwards, Michael would always try to be in physical contact with me during practice. The one time I asked him about it, he said that it was to help me get over my fear of touching men. I don’t think I was afraid of touching men. I think I was just afraid of touching him.

Still, the constant contact helped and I got used to his presence. I got so used to the feel of his skin and his smell that all I could think of was him when other people touched me. At that point, I realize I must have been spending too much time with him. I enjoyed our practices though, and it felt comforting when I was with him so I wasn’t too bothered by it.

When I asked Michael what his future plans were, he said “I want to keep dancing. Dancing communicates more than anything I could say with words. With dancing, I can truly tell people how I feel without saying a single word.” That astounded me. All I wanted to do was become an investment banker so I could make lots of money and live in a penthouse apartment.

One of the craziest assignments that Deenerman gave us was “Nature”. We were supposed to experience dancing outdoors. Michael perked when he heard that assignment. For our next practice session, he dragged me to the wooded area behind the football field. He took off his shoes, and without music, he just jumped into dance movements, swaying into an imaginary beat. I watched him for a bit, captivated with his movements. Then I joined him, just the 2 of us, dancing in the woods as little specks of light glittered around us as the sun filtered through the dense leaves on the surrounding trees. The dance wasn’t choreographed, but it was passionate, it was rough, it was gentle, it was happy, it was demanding, and it was made up of our feelings. When the sun no longer shone through the leaves, we put our shoes back on and walked our separate ways home.

The term kept rolling along, and we kept practicing. I got much better at the dancing thanks to Michael’s help and Deenerman’s critical tips. Michael and I started spending more time at the studio dancing and practicing as I started loving what we were doing together. Deenerman would show up and watch us occasionally, but she said less and less as time went by. Soon, whenever Michael and I danced, I felt like we were the only two people in the whole world.

Finally, our final project was announced. Deenerman told us that our final dances would be themed and designed to cater to our combined styles, talents and chemistry. It confused me when she gave Michael and I the theme “Bitter Love”. I didn’t feel like that theme worked. If anything, “Silence” would have been a better theme for us.

Still, Michael weaved his magic and picked out a song. The song and choreography was chosen to show the conflicting emotions of being in a relationship that would not work. We practiced and practiced, but somehow a tension began to develop between us. I could not connect with him to make the dance feel right.

Before I could fix that though, the day of the final dance came. We were the third last couple to perform in front of the class, and I was so nervous that I was sweating buckets. When Deenerman announced our names and our theme, I barely heard her as I moved mechanically to the stage. Michael and I got into our starting position, me clutching on to him as he stood firm and strong.

This was it. The very last thing I do at this school before I pack up my bags and leave for my cushy job in a city thousands of miles away. The last time I will be dancing with Michael. And the last time that I will be touching him, sensing his familiar presence. When I realized that, I gasped and involuntarily tightened my hold on him.

The music started. As the first lines wafted through through the air, he grabbed hold of me, spinning me around as we moved as a fused body. His hold was tighter than usual, stronger than usual, and was charged with something that I have not felt before.

My body moved of its own accord, executing the steps that it had memorized. My brain, disjointed from my body, was running through my memories of dancing with Michael. The memories of the time in the woods, the times when Deenerman faded into the background, and the times when Michael held me in his arms as we moved to the music.

And then I realized that I was leaving. I would leave this class and Michael, and time will erase the familiarity of our touch. I will leave here and live in a world silent of music and dance. Life changes and we move on, don’t we?

We moved into our next sequence of steps and I fixed my gaze on him. His beauty and grace, and how he seems perfectly comfortable in this skin. His eyes are closed as he executes his move, slowing pulling his hands together to express the desperation of losing love.

I stared at him, feeling the rawness of his emotions, before I began my steps. Running towards him, I sweep my arms around him and buried my face into his chest, unable to look him in the eyes. I knew that I had to leave. If this was going to be our last dance, I was going to make it count. I pulled us together, my entire body shaking with the effort and cry for us to stay together. In my heart, I knew he could see and feel me shaking, but I didn’t care – I would dedicate all my passion to this dance for him.

As we danced and moved through the steps, I couldn’t help but want the song to last forever. I wanted time to stop for me, for us so that I could forever dance with him. The playing music was the only indication that time was passing, and I realized that the dance was coming to an end.

Michael moved into position for our very last sequence – a sequence where we would launch ourselves at each other, and in the very last moment of the song, push each other away. I looked at him standing across the stage from me and at that moment, I realized my feelings. They were so perfect, and I was afraid to move because if I were to move, those feelings will end with the end of the song. It was then that I decided that things would be different.

The song shifted into its last few lines, and Michael began to launch himself at me. I responded in the same way, but I avoided looking into his eyes. I hope this was not the wrong choice. I hope that Michael would not hurt me. I hope….

As Michael reached his hands out to push me away, I knocked them aside, taking a huge breath before I pulled him into the strongest embrace I could muster. He stiffened, his arms by his side and my heart chilled.

Slowly, I lifted my head and looked into his deep blue eyes that were filled with confusion. He looked away and I pulled him harder into me, willing him to feel what I wanted to tell him. I waited. I waited as the song began to die, fading away into the background. What could be running through his head? I hope I did not mess this up. I really hope that he would respond. Most of all, I was terrified, but I still kept holding on to him.

Finally, he moved. His arms grabbed my back and tightened as the tension flowed out of me and I sagged against his sturdy frame. He looked into my teary eyes and gave me the brightest smile I have ever seen.

We did not have to say a word – our dance said everything.

This story was inspired by the song 'Dancing' by Elisa. I also intended for that song to be the song played for the last dance, although I left it to the reader to imagine the song.

I would really appreciate if you left a review! This is my first story, and I would definitely love to learn and improve. Thank you for reading!

Copyright © 2011 hayven; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

A very emotional story.. especially to people who do try and express themselves through art.. any form of art.. :)

 

A few grammatical errors,

Eg.

desperateness

Desperation

 

but other than that, I really liked the way you showed emotions... thumbsupsmileyanim.gifthumbsupsmileyanim.gif

 

will there be a sequel?? please say yes.. please.. please??? would love to know more about them!! :D

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 01/14/2011 08:07 AM, Frostina said:
A very emotional story.. especially to people who do try and express themselves through art.. any form of art.. :)

 

A few grammatical errors,

Eg.

desperateness

Desperation

 

but other than that, I really liked the way you showed emotions... thumbsupsmileyanim.gifthumbsupsmileyanim.gif

 

will there be a sequel?? please say yes.. please.. please??? would love to know more about them!! :D

Thanks Frostina! I'll work on the grammar/hopefully get an editor :)I don't know about a sequel - it was something that just popped into my head when the song came on. Who knows, they might come back :P
  • Love 1
Link to comment

:2thumbs:

 

wow, this is a really great short story. I loved every moment--felt caught up in the emotion of it. The dancing was a powerful way for them to communicate with each other, but also to show us a lot about their characters to us readers.

 

I'm very impressed with this. If it's your first story, you have much talent. I would like to see more from you. Yes, very much.

 

If you are interested in writing as a craft and wish to learn more there are some great books recommended in the writer's corner:

 

http://www.gayauthors.org/forums/topic/3522-books-for-authors/

 

If you decide to write more on this (because for some reason, I can see this as a first chapter). Or if you decide to write another longer story, be sure to start a discussion thread on it in GA stories! There you'll get more input for your writing.

 

Thank you for the lovely read, and all the best,

 

Anyta

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 01/14/2011 09:31 PM, AnytaSunday said:
:2thumbs:

 

wow, this is a really great short story. I loved every moment--felt caught up in the emotion of it. The dancing was a powerful way for them to communicate with each other, but also to show us a lot about their characters to us readers.

 

I'm very impressed with this. If it's your first story, you have much talent. I would like to see more from you. Yes, very much.

 

If you are interested in writing as a craft and wish to learn more there are some great books recommended in the writer's corner:

 

http://www.gayauthors.org/forums/topic/3522-books-for-authors/

 

If you decide to write more on this (because for some reason, I can see this as a first chapter). Or if you decide to write another longer story, be sure to start a discussion thread on it in GA stories! There you'll get more input for your writing.

 

Thank you for the lovely read, and all the best,

 

Anyta

Thanks Anyta for your wonderful comments and advice! I'll definitely keep that thread in mind :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment

You, Sir, have a way with words! Within just the first few words, I forgot to look for spelling and grammar errors - the story overshadowed any thought of such things.

 

As someone who danced for decades on and off stage, I felt every sway and leap. I rarely am physically effected by reading something - but I actually FELT this, and it was great, thank you!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 01/15/2011 12:11 PM, Tipdin said:
You, Sir, have a way with words! Within just the first few words, I forgot to look for spelling and grammar errors - the story overshadowed any thought of such things.

 

As someone who danced for decades on and off stage, I felt every sway and leap. I rarely am physically effected by reading something - but I actually FELT this, and it was great, thank you!

Thank you Tipdin! I'm really glad you enjoyed it!
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 01/15/2011 11:54 AM, Sara Alva said:
The dancing scene was excellent, and I too could see a longer story written for these two!
Thanks Kingdom, for reading as well as for your help! :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment

I think it's an excellent first effort. Using dance as a metaphor for life works well. And your descriptiion of the woodland scene was delightful. Don't be put off by checking and re-checking your script. I re-edit roughly 6-7 times. You'll be surprised what you spot, for example,

 

'Finally, our final project was announced. Deenerman told us that our final dances,

 

You could lose two 'finals' by sub'ing

 

'At long last our closing project was announced.........final.....

 

Very good effort. Do write more,

 

Dave

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 01/16/2011 01:02 AM, Sendraguy said:
I think it's an excellent first effort. Using dance as a metaphor for life works well. And your descriptiion of the woodland scene was delightful. Don't be put off by checking and re-checking your script. I re-edit roughly 6-7 times. You'll be surprised what you spot, for example,

 

'Finally, our final project was announced. Deenerman told us that our final dances,

 

You could lose two 'finals' by sub'ing

 

'At long last our closing project was announced.........final.....

 

Very good effort. Do write more,

 

Dave

Thanks Dave for the advice! :) I really appreciate it!
  • Like 1
Link to comment

I enjoyed reading.

 

I kinda want you to push a little more in describing the emotions of the dance. Also, I felt that you were getting repetitive in some parts.

 

It's such a challenge to write about an experience as wonderful as dance. It's something that has to be felt or seen. Words will never do it justice, but it's fun trying, anyway.

 

I'm glad you didn't name the song for their final choreography. I probably would have searched it and if I did, I wouldn't have enjoyed the last parts as much. The song isn't really in my taste. I was able to enjoy imagining the scene a lot more with the song I had going on in my head.

 

I plan on writing soon. One of my stories will also involve dance. Maybe reading your story will give me some ideas for solving the challenges that come with this undertaking.

 

keep going. :]

 

 

Link to comment

I thought this was a great first story, and you captured emotions wonderfully. Thanx for a sweet read.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..