Jump to content
    Invnarcel
  • Author
  • 535 Words
  • 597 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Wicked - 10. Epilogue

Kyle:

So young and so untender. I sat at a desk with three police officers, navy-blue uniformed. Two women and a man, they looked fairly young. Maybe new recruits, I had no idea. I sat with an icy can of soft drink, Pasito passionfruit. Pressing it against my forehead while the policemen listened and took notes. If this was an interrogation room it didn't look like one.

My neck had purple bruises. Jake had a gash on his cheek and a dent in his skull. He'd been concussed and bled out into his brain. He probably died quickly. Forensics and other analysts would determine that Jake slipped on a mug while chasing me in a mindless, murderous frenzy. He'd initiated the attack, though I'd come to his unit, but he'd undone the locks and let me in. And he'd messaged me his address after I'd said I wanted to see him.

When they asked for my story I decided to give them the truth. Without admitting to being a believer of occultist witchcraft, I confessed to being suspicious due to a series of random coincidences including a near-death experience earlier on in the week. The officers didn't scoff but observed me silently. Maybe it'd make me sound like a psychotic killer, but I was too exhausted, both emotionally and physically. So I was truthful. I told them about my conversation with Jake at the rocky beach cliff-face Saturday night. He was clearly obsessed with me as well as delusional. With no intention to cause violence or make him upset, I'd shown up to ask about black magic and request that he stop using it on me. I did this in person believing that the authorities would be unable to help me. It wasn't my intention to provoke him.

"I just wanted Jake- sorry Jesse, to stop."

The overhead lightbulb hung on a cord, making the white table and walls brighter. The carpet was dusty blue and the walls cream gyprock. When they let me leave my parents were both pale-faced as they came in to take me home. The front room of the police station had a line of people waiting at the counter, security glass over the top like in banks. Papers and little cards pinned up about domestic violence and other services. Both Dad and Mum spoke quietly to me in the car. If they spoke to police and were told it was suspected Jake had been obsessed with me romantically, maybe they'd soon start to speculate I was gay. My older brothers all had girlfriends in high school and I never had. Maybe they would ease off the pressure after all.

Jesse Jackson Cowles was a creature I wouldn't soon forget. His insanity, his sadism, his anger. His all-encompassing spite. His supposed magical powers. My eyes had been opened to the darker side of humanity, a part of life I'd been fairly naïve to before now. I was probably going to feel unstable and distrustful for a while. After seeing how bad things almost were, how bad they could've been I found myself satisfied with normalcy. I could live a quiet and mediocre life and be both thankful and satisfied.

Copyright © 2020 Invnarcel; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 7
  • Wow 3
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator

This was a satisfying and hopeful ending. We're left feeling Kyle will ultimately be better for the experience. Thanks for sharing.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
17 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

It takes time to have the autopsy performed

Thanks for that tidbit 🤔 Though it makes a lot of sense. I'll remember that for other police procedure involved stories, unlike Jake I have not read an endless amount of crime thrillers. Just a few 😆

 

14 hours ago, GanymedeRex said:

The characterization of Jake was as excellent as it was disturbing.

 

13 hours ago, drpaladin said:

This was a satisfying and hopeful ending.

Thanks guys I'm glad you all liked it!

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator
On 6/11/2020 at 3:43 PM, Valkyrie said:

It sounds like Kyle is being interrogated right after the incident, then we're told about Jake's cause of death and some of the police's conclusions.  It takes time to have the autopsy performed, determine cause of death, and draw conclusions about what happened.  So to me, it makes more sense to include that later in the epilogue

It could just as easily be a conclusion by a coroner. You'll be surprised to learn how few autopsies are performed, even in cases of suspicious deaths. The rate is between 10-16%. Even though autopsies can be performed in as little as an hour, they are expensive and not covered by any insurance plan. If you insisted on a private autopsy, you'd be faced with a bill for a minimum of $3,000-5,000 and likely much more for a renowned expert in the field.

If I were the author, I'd just change it to "the coroner's determination' rather than autopsy. Given Jake's history and the circumstances, this is a close it and file it case.

Edited by drpaladin
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..