Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Dead Fit - 31. Epilogue

Epilogue


It’s been a month since I last had a gun pulled on me.


After a thorough investigation by Long Beach Police and the Securities and Exchange Commission, Brian Davenport was formally charged with multiple counts of securities fraud, one count of racketeering, and one count of attempted murder. Todd Evans was charged with securities fraud, attempted murder, and multiple counts of breaking and entering.


Thanks to the spreadsheet, the SEC had enough evidence to go after the other financial advisors who put their own interests before the interests of their clients. I finally called Sandy to meet her and her husband for drinks. Over martinis, she told me she had heard that, in exchange for their testimony against Brian, none of the financial advisors would be charged with a crime. Justice has a funny way of prevailing.


The story didn't make headline news, but the online edition of the Press Telegram did dedicate almost three whole paragraphs to announcing the Long Beach Police Department had arrested and charged two local men with a sundry of illegal acts. No mention was made of the personal trainer who helped break the case.


Two days after my boyfriend tried to kill me, my parents returned from Phoenix. I recounted the events to them, and surprisingly, I didn't bother to leave out the details of the relationship Brian and I had with one another.


Then, something unusual happened. My father wrapped his arms around me, hugged me, and said, “I'm glad you're alright.”


I thought I saw a tear form in the corner of his eye, but he turned around quickly and I couldn't tell for sure. It wasn't the unconditional acceptance of my sexual orientation I hoped for, but it certainly was a step in the right direction.


True to her word, Ana started class at Westwood College after Labor Day. She hasn't missed a single class, yet. I introduced her to Danny, my new cosmetologist friend. As I suspected, those two instantly hit it off. My only regret in bringing them together is having two people in my life who want to give me a makeover.


Trevor and Pilar came back from their honeymoon. The newlyweds have started going to the gym together, both of them retaining me as their personal trainer. Not long ago, Trevor asked me for an update on my relationship with Brian. I told him it didn't work out. Trevor left it at that.


As for me, I haven't given up on dating, but in the interest of giving my bruised heart an opportunity to heal, I've decided to ease up on the accelerator of love. For the time being, I'm setting my goals a little smaller and more achievable.


I started by opening up a ROTH IRA, contributing $50 each pay period.


My career as a personal trainer got a big boost after successfully helping Trevor reach his goal – Gary now assigns me advanced personal training clients, meaning greater challenges and a bigger paycheck. Both good things, in my opinion.


And as comfortable as it is still living at home with my parents, I've committed to moving out by the end of the year. I have my sights set on a little studio apartment just blocks from the beach, and not too far from the Belmont Shore Pier. Seeing the Pier still brings back bad memories, but the views of the Ocean are to die for.


In the meantime, I had some unsettling business I needed to resolve.


I picked up my cell phone and dialed his number.


His line rang four times, then his voicemail told me he was sorry he couldn't take my call, but to leave my name and a brief message and he would return my call as soon as possible.


"Hey, Officer Moore. This is your old pal, Marshall. Sorry I haven't spoken to you in so long. It's been busy with the new job. I haven't even had a chance to thank you for sending me a graduation gift. A lot has been happening in my life. Give me a call and we can catch up. Can't wait to hear from you."

Copyright © 2011 jaysenmarshall; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..