Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Johnathan Colourfield's Short Stories - 2. The Time Went By

A short story to my nan who spent around 8 weeks in hospital after a severe stroke. She is recovered now but still not the same as she was.
The time went by, the ward loud of the chatter of visitors at the beds of patients, the stroke and cancer ward, nothing fancy, nothing antiquated, just an average ward. The clock on the wall made its final gesture. It made its request as things often did. It said it was time for the person lying in the dark cavernous hospital bed. Surrounded by several miserable characters, one woman, she had been in the hospital for nearly 6 months, broken neck and a stroke sufferer... she couldn’t even feed herself. Then there was the woman next door, she never spoke a word... she only ever opened her mouth to eat, she had been through so much and yet there was so little that they could do for her. The whole world seemed to collapse around her, the world she was so accustomed to... it had gone. Every memory, every heartfelt moment from her husband had gone... Each of them... She couldn’t even remember which hospital she had spent the last week in.

“Albert... Where Am I? I’m in Saint Mary’s aren’t I?” the elderly woman asked.

“Mum... no... You worked at Saint Mary’s years ago; you are in the General now. Can’t you remember?” Her daughter reminded her.

Albert just sat there, staring into space, his way of dealing with things, just to sit and think. He often did this, sitting around the house on his own while his wife was in the hospital. He had the time to think, and the time to lose his mind... A deafening shriek could be heard from the other side of the ward. This often happened at this hour, a stroke can take the strangest of effects on a man, the unbearable shrieks, and the elderly woman wondered how on earth people usually sleep in here.

“I’ve been in here for 5 weeks haven’t I? I know I have, I’m sure”

The machine that was connected to her IV drip started to beep…

The cousin Jesse started “Oh my god… Nan flatten your arm...”

The Nurse came over and just said to the elderly lady “Oh Emily... you always have to do this sort of thing, your drip has come out... when your family go I’ll come and replace it alright?”

“Oh good… have you checked the dinner list... and I’m sure I’ve been here for 5 weeks”. She was adamant.

“Nan... you’ve only been here a week. You have been ill for 3 weeks on top of that...” the boy in the corner said, his posture nervous, he was clearly worried...

“Oh… so that makes it...” She did a calculation in her head. “Four weeks…. Have I really been ill for a month?”

“Yes Nanny.” A young child looked at her grandmother as if she was already lost...

A Nurse approached them and asked for Albert and Elise, her daughter, to walk with her. She walked off in several directions until they found a quiet little room on the other side of the hospital... “We don’t think she’s going to make it through the night...”

A deafening silence…

Copyright © 2011 Johnathan Colourfield; All Rights Reserved.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..