Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Lonely Differences - 2. Chapter 2

It was Tuesday morning and that meant it was time to take our new extensive classes. I started to get myself dressed and just as I was putting my underwear on, Jesse burst through the door. He was a tall kid with long brown hair and jagged teeth. You know, the kind of teeth you think are gonna jump on you and kill you at any time. Of course, anything like that is total bollocks but you can still believe, can't you?

"Morning, numb-nuts." This caused me to jump and fall onto my knees in shock. I turned and saw him and gave him a look of hatred.

"Morning, Jesse." Jesse was one of the guys in my dorm whom I loathed. He was an antisocial reject in every sense of the words. He always picked on the weak and he was way taller than I am, so it isn’t really that easy to defend myself around these idiots, but oh well, I only have to put up with him till I get my growth spurt... if it ever comes. I hope it does.

"Why aren't ya dressed yet, ya lazy shit? I've been up since dawn."

"Well I sleep. And I sleep well."

"Well some of us have classes in ten minutes."

"WHAT!?!?!?"

"Hasn't anyone told you?"

"Told me what?"

"Remember the change in timetable? When we had our business class changed, the extensive classes start in twenty minutes. For three hours."

"Fuck..."

"My sentiments exactly." He threw a dressing robe at me.

"Now hurry up get showered and get going. You don't want to miss your precious math class." I jumped out of bed and moved right up to his face.

"Fuck you, Jesse," I said slowly and surely.

"Any time, pretty boy." He spanked me with the towel he was holding. I just ran out of the room towards the showers. One of these days, this boy is going to pay for what he has done to me.

I ran quickly into the showers, realising I hadn't enough time for a shower. I couldn't be asked, with getting into the "shower pants" that we all had to wear. The school didn't like indecencies where they could prevent them from happening. God, they must be blind, with half the things that happen in this school early morning or very late at night...

I quickly whipped my shirt off and decided to have a quick wash instead.

I focused on cleaning myself when I saw a kid out of the corner of my eye in the cubicle with a hole in the front of it. That was the cubicle the boys used if they wanted to, you know, get some. It wasn't a very nice place to be in, but hey, it was home, home for some of the sluttier students. I could see through the hole in the wall, as such, and the boy was feeling himself...

I think he was trying to sell himself to the other boys.

Quickly, I finished washing myself and walked over to the cubicle and opened the door. I looked down at the boy. He must only have been like 12.

"Kid, are you okay?"

"£20 for a quick one, £30 for a slow enjoyable one."

"I'm not here for sex. I'm just seeing if you are okay."

"Oh..." He looked uncomfortably happy. "No-one has ever asked me before."

"Why do you do it?"

"So... Do I even know you?"

"No... But I'd like to". The boy was quite tall for his age, short blonde hair, he had several scars on his face, surly this wasn't from the other boys.

"You have seen the scars then?"

"Yeah... where are they from?"

"My father... and the other boys... They all torture me if I don't do things their way." The boy was looking quite upset.

"Someone needs a hug, don't ya?" I looked down at the boy, he reminded me of my young brother, Jerry.

"Wow... okay..." He approached me slowly, scared of what could happen and he just wrapped his arms around my waist.

"There, that better?"

"Yeah, that’s great..." He sniffled. "Thank you."

"Anytime... but for now I have to go to class."

"Oh damn... I can see you again, right?"

"Of course you can, what was your name? My name's Eric."

"Oh... it’s Marcus."

"Okay, Marcus, I will see you again soon, okay?"

"Deal. What class have you got?"

"Extensive Math. What have you got?"

"Basics in Art. I'm not too good with hands, drawing, writing, anything. But I enjoy it."

"That’s all you need to do... See you later."

I walked out of the bathroom and smiled because I saw that I had made another person happy. I looked at the time and screamed "Shit! I'm going to be late!"

I ran towards the classrooms and passed the classroom with the locked door. It was the infirmary. And it was never allowed to be opened...

**

"Answer this for me boys. 4ac - 8ga all multiplied by 3ac - 2ga. This is just the warm up question." I saw my attention wavering a little towards the window. It was dark outside of the castle, as it usually was, but I just looked and smiled because I knew that in three hours it would all be over and it would be my favourite meal of the day. Lunch. They always served a massive lunch here, it was always my favourite time because a) I got to eat lots of food and b) I don't have to fake being happy anymore because of seeing a certain someone three times a day. I giggled noisily to myself.

Professor Cross stared down his long and sharp nose at me and spoke. "Mr. Jones. Answer Please." I found math really easy so I was able to just blurt the answer out.

"12ac - 16ga."

He sneered at me and carried on walking up the aisle of the classroom, "A predictable guess, Mr. Jones. My room, 8 o'clock this evening. Straight after dinner. Detention."

"But sir..."

"No buts... Or do you want to make it a week of detentions?"

"No sir." I felt the old phrase run through my head, "Yes Sir, No Sir, Three Bags Full Sir."

"I'll make it two days for that statement, boy."

"But I never said anything."

"Yes you did. I could see it in your eyes."

I decided not to think anything. All the staff had that annoying habit of being able to hear what you were thinking. It really pissed me off.

"Back to my lesson now, boys. In your textbook, please turn to Page 295. Algorithms and Logarithms. Please finish the exercises on this page by the end of the lesson."

Without realising I thought, "What an arsehole."

"Do you have a knack for getting into trouble, Mr. Jones. Detention every night for the next week. I have tests and things to be filed. And letters to send. You can do those for me."

"Fuck."

"Language Boy."

"Sorry."

A dreadful pause.

"Err... Sir."

"That is better. Now get on with it boys."

The group droned, "Yes Professor Cross."

I set to work on the boring exercises. I didn't know what was up with me. I usually enjoy math, but today I couldn't. Maybe it was just one of those off days. I worked hard and harder throughout the hour and didn't realise, but I had dozed off into a daydream.

"Hello. Mr. Jones. Anybody in there?"

"Err. Sorry."

"Are you paying attention to me or not?"

"Oh. Sorry, sir. I finished early."

"Then you should have asked for more work. You know how things work around here."

I waited for the lesson to finish and as soon as the bell rang I ran as fast as I could towards the door.

"Not so fast, Mr. Jones."

"What do you want this time, Sir?"

"Enough of your attitude. I have a message for you from the Headmaster."

"What is it?"

"His Office. 10 o'clock. Bring a friend."

No-one ever got asked to go to the Headmaster’s office.

"Did he say why?"

"All he said was to stay safe and stay out of the shadows."

"Right..."

"Don't worry. I'm as confused about it as you are. That man does give me the creeps most of the time." I had found a basis for conversation with the professor, something I had never seen before. I giggled at him.

"You see, I am a funny man when I want to be."

"Sir, I have a question."

"Yes, my boy?"

"They say you are the Math and Art teacher. But math and art happen at the same time. How is that possible?"

"That is a question that is best left unanswered. Now if you will excuse me, I have a meeting to attend. Thank you, Mr. Jones. Today's conversation was..." He smiled lightly "An experience. Now fuck off, I want lunch."

"I thought you said you had a meeting?"

"Oh yes... meeting. I forgot about that."

"You said it seconds ago."

"Just leave boy. Unless you want another week of detention."

"Goodbye, Sir."

"Goodbye, Eric."

I walked away slowly wondering why he used my first name, he only ever called me by my surname. And what on earth would the Headmaster want with me at such a late hour?

Oh well, I will find out soon enough...

**

"Professor Cross." He walked slowly and surely towards the opposite end of the corridor, into the shadows of the Headmaster’s wing. This place was never ventured into by many students and rarely ever by staff, but he had been called by the Headmaster to discuss an important issue.

"Professor Stoker."

"Come into my office. It is too light for me to step outside of the shadow." The shadows emanating from the office seeped slowly, but surely, into the wing. It was why the corridor was always dark. Even with the lights turned on.

"Most definitely, Sir." He stepped securely into the office and prayed for his life. He looked into the room, a blazing fire at one of the room and thousands upon thousands of books at the other end, upon endless bookcases. Sat at the fire was a figure shrouded in darkness.

"You know what must be done."

"Of course I do. But why must it be I who will do it?"

"You can't really expect our students to do it, can you?"

"But Sir... it is not customary to adopt such a child..."

"Do you think I care about custom? When you have lived as long as I, you will know what has to be done, has to be done."

"Sir, I cannot." Professor Cross crossed the threshold into the darkness and could see the figure for what it was. Old and decrepit. His hair was a patchy grey with nothing but a dark robe around him to keep himself warm. There were blood stains all over the dark robe, barely visible, but Professor Cross knew they were there. He reached over and touched the dying figure on the arm.

"Don't you dare touch me." The figure lashed out throwing Professor Cross through the room, causing him to crash into the bookcases. He screamed in agony.

"Just as I told you. You are not strong enough. Yet. You will be one day. But for now, you must do what I told you with the boy. No Questions Asked."

"Yes Sir... how long do I have."

"Two Weeks."

"What if I do not succeed?"

"Then you will surely... die."

"If I do not succeed, I ask one thing of you."

"Of course, old friend. What would it be?"

"Don't make me... don't use my corpse."

"Why would I do that?"

"I've seen what you do. And it is not pleasant."

"It’s the only way for the school to survive."

"Okay. Just... don't use me. Get someone else."

"Deal. Now go, I feel the need."

Without questions, he ran out of the office and suddenly felt a surge of guilt for what he was to do. He quickly ran down the corridor, but accidentally crossed a shadow.

"HALT." A boyish shout was heard.

"I was here to meet the Headmaster. I did not mean to disturb you."

"YOU MUST PAY THE PRICE." The voice was even louder than before.

"Okay. Same as before?"

"ALWAYS THE SAME PRICE FOR THE SAME DEAL."

Slowly, Professor Cross took a knife to his wrist and sliced his hand off. A creature of a young stature ran forward and tasted the blood running from the dead hand.

"THE PRICE HAS BEEN PAID." The boy must only have been 12.

"Thank you."

"AVOID THE SHADOWS."

"Yes, I will." Professor Cross ran swiftly towards his own office and slammed the door shut. He stared down at his arm as his wrist and fingers began to regenerate.

"God help us all..." He stared up to the large window above his desk and prayed to the gods, wishing he could stop the inevitable...

He was going to die.

They were going to win.

And there was nothing he could do about it.

Copyright © 2010 Johnathan Colourfield; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..