Jump to content
    JujuTheDruid
  • Author
  • 3,452 Words
  • 1,024 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A Star's Element - 6. Off We Go

Luno

It was a long time ago Mother had said.

It was not your fault She said.

I find that pretty hard to believe in all honesty.

When I woke up this morning, I found Tobias staring at me with a strange expression on his face.

I had asked what it was, I even washed my face just in case Avric accidentally slobbered all over me.

He’s done that plenty of times before.

Tobias would just shake his head and say it was nothing.

He hasn’t really made a move to leave. I am not sure why, but I am not going to complain about it.

Sure he is quiet, but at least he is someone that can talk back to me, even if he is a bit rude.

I was about halfway through feeding everyone, that I remembered I wanted to ask the mystery man some questions.

Tobias has been following me at a fair distance. Just watching me make the rounds of feeding all the creatures in the Sanctuary.

Might as well try asking now!

“So…” I start with a smile to myself, “are you a human by chance?” I don’t turn to wait for his answer. I don’t even think I will get an answer in all honesty.

When I am met with a much too long silence, I glance back at him.

He only has one eyebrow raised and when he catches my eyes, he says, “Is it not obvious?” He knocks on one of his horns.

I shrug.

“Is that supposed to mean something?” I give a shy smile.

I have a feeling it is going to be obvious and I’ll look like a bigger idiot to him.

Tobias just rolls his eyes and crosses his arms. “I’m a demon, dumbass.”

I don’t know why, but I kind of...freeze.

I’ve never met a demon before. He looks so normal! Sure he has horns but I thought that maybe he was either a demigod, a deformed human, or some special spirit!

He sighs and turns his glare to the ground, perhaps thinking that keeping eye contact will disturb me.

"What, have you never heard of a demon before," he asks. "You get all these creatures and spirits in your special Sanctuary, have the most power I’ve ever seen a human control, and you don’t know what a demon looks like?"

He laughs to himself after saying the last sentence. It isn’t a joyful laugh, it sounds more like he’s mocking me.

“Mother never told me what you all looked like.” I just mumble, “I only saw one village when I left the Sanctuary.” Then I remember the shadow things that were chasing us, “and I guess the things that chased us was a first too. I didn’t really get a good look at them. Were they demons as well?”

Tobias nods and then moves to sit on a boulder. A few birds immediately fly over to sit on his shoulders, he bats them away.

With a small growl of frustration he speaks.

“Well your Mother needs to teach you a thing or two. I am getting the feeling that she has been hiding you here for her own good. Not yours.”

I can’t help but give a small gasp. I’ve never heard anyone speak about Mother in such a way!

I may get a bit...rebellious, but I wouldn’t push far enough that it would be disrespectful.

“Where is your Mother anyway? You have talked about her a few times; shouldn’t she be here with you? Clearly she wouldn’t want a demon like me, anywhere near you. Or does she?” He smirks.

“Do not talk about her that way.” I feel myself glare.

She has kept me safe for all these years, I am not going to let some demon speak of her like this.

“She has helped me survive for all these years. Not only me, but all these creatures too.”

Tobias’ smirk is gone, instead he narrows his eyes and stares me down.

I am not sure why, I am pretty sure I wasn’t being rude. I hope I wasn’t!

“Sorry if I was mean.” I quickly say. He shakes his head.

“Do you happen to be related to someone named Raiyo?” He asks.

I shake my head slowly, “Um, nope. I am very much an only child.”

Well, didn't expect the conversation to go in this direction.

He bites his lip before standing and walking towards me slowly, I quickly back away.

His glare returns. “I am not going to hurt you, I am just checking something.”

He stands in front of me and seems to search for something on my face.

The more and more that he keeps searching, the more he seems to become confused.

“Are you sure?” He randomly asks after searching for who knows what.

“Yes I am pretty sure.” I say with one eyebrow raised.

“Wait! Don't move. Keep your eyebrow like that,” He says and I do as he tells me.

“Now give me a smirk. One that says you know something I don't.”

A bit confused, I try and do as he says.

He brushes his fingers through my bangs and tries to moves them to hang a little over my left eye.

They just curl back to their place.

“Holy shit.” He whispers.

“What?” I ask, perhaps a bit too loud. I am a bit scared now.

“We should go.” He says and turns around for the shack, “We need to speak to someone.”

“Go?” I can’t help but laugh. “I am not going out there! It’s scary and dangerous.”

Tobias stops moving and I almost run into his back. He turns to me and glares once again.

“If it is so dangerous, then why were you out there earlier?” He says and then turns to walk again.

“You saw how it looked! I needed to fix it!” I shout and run to walk next to him. “Shouldn’t you be angry that I did that? I fixed the destruction of that land.”

He frowns and glances at me, “why would I be angry about that? You even fixed-” He stops and seems to think for a moment.

He just sighs, shakes his head, and continues to walk on. “Do you even know what is going on out there? The world is dying. I could honestly just ask my uncle what is happening, but I really don’t want to see him right now.”

We reach my home and he starts to pack up his things. There isn’t much really, he only got out a few things to clean himself up.

“You are talking about Raiyo?” I ask. It is probably a dumb question.

He nods and then turns to me. “I may be a demon, but we do not want the world to wither away. I saw you bring back the life that was sucked away in that forest, sure that was man-made, but there are so many places in the world that could use your abilities.”

I bite my lip at that. I really would like to help honestly, but I don't want to leave this place. It is scary out there. Yet another voice is telling me to just go. Don't stay trapped in this small heaven.

It isn't real.

“Can...can you keep me safe out there?” I ask and wrap my arms around myself. He just gives me a look that says ‘really?’

“I do not use my magic to hurt people," I say. "I have sworn against it and so I will never hurt anyone or anything.”

Then he says what Mother always says.

“Well, that’s a waste.”

I would lie if I said it hurts. I personally feel the same about it. It is a waste. I wish someone else had it.

I wait for him to give an answer.

With a loud sigh, “Fine, I’ll ‘protect’ you.” He mimics quotation marks with his fingers. “You better keep me alive at least.”

“Of course I would! I mean...I’d try to at least," I bounce on my toes.

Everything in my mind is telling me to not get excited about this. It keeps trying to think about Viktor and Monie. It especially keeps trying to remember the village people.

Speaking of, I wonder if Tobias knows of the village.

“Have you ever been to a village called Varen?” I ask. I guess a small part of me still kind of cares for them.

Sure they hated me, but I hope they at least are doing well.

“Varen? I don’t think I’ve ever heard of it.” He says before looking me up and down. “Do you happen to own any clothes? I seriously doubt you will want to wear that.”

I frown before looking down. “What’s wrong with it?” I ask while pulling on my silver belly chain.

“It is a bit...revealing. I mean, Raiyo kind of dresses the same way, but I doubt you’d want anyone else seeing you that way.”

I purse my lips, “I mean...I also own a cloak?” I ask more than state. I don’t really own clothes.

He just sighs before nodding. “Whatever. Since it is daytime, we should wait for tomorrow morning.”

I shake my head. “It’s actually nighttime outside. It’s the opposite in here so I know when I am allowed to go out there, if I ever do.”

He just gives me a confused look.

“Why would you do that? You scared of the dark?” He asks.

“No! Mother says I am supposed to hide from the moon. Apparently the moon is a mean god.” I whisper the last sentence as if the moon god would be able to hear me in here.

“Yes well,” He grunts, “You’re not wrong. Sadly, he is the Demon King. Who is your Mother anyway?”

“She’s the Gatekeeper of the Heavens.” I say with a shrug. He stops moving.

“Ok,” He gives a small squeak. He clears his throat, “We really need to speak to Raiyo now. I guess we’ll leave when it’s sundown here.”

I give a nod and then we wait. Well, Tobias waits. I decide to make a bunch of food to last for the creatures.

They have food in their habitats, but I am making more food just to be safe.

I do not know how long I will be gone this time.

~~~

We are back on the beach. Right where we met.

“This is so romantic!” I tease and poke Tobias’ arm. He rolls his eyes and reaches into one of the many pockets hidden in his armor.

He pulls out a gold coin and throws it out into the water.

It rings in the air like a tiny bell. It skips on the surface twice before it sinks into the water.

After about five minutes, nothing has happened.

“What are we doing? Why did you throw that gold coin? I thought we were going to go see Raiyo.” I flop onto the sand and dig my toes into it. The sun has risen past the horizon now and we are just sitting here waiting for who knows what.

Tobias sighs and sits next to me. “Must be busy today. Now, can you please, shut the fuck up?” He gives a fake smile and then turns back to the water.

I just roll my eyes and tug on Kulu around my neck.

Yeah I couldn’t leave my favorites behind this time.

Enfi is flying around doing whatever she likes to do. Scouting! Apparently she couldn’t scout out a mean demon.

Finally, something seems to happen.

The wind starts to pickup and the waves in the water begin to become more violent.

I reach out to the waves to make sure they aren’t angry and see they are their usual enthusiastic selves. I guess they don’t mind what is happening to them.

I stand and wipe off any sand on my cloak and hands. I dip my feet into the water and then float next to Tobias, finally at eye level with him.

I might as well keep myself as clean as I can. I don't have shoes, nor do I want them.

A couple of feet away from the beach, the water begins to have white, foamy bubbles reach the surface. A dark shadow begins to form under the water and then a giant geyser erupts.

A boat painted black breaks past the surface and a flag with a strange orange symbol is waving in the air.

The symbol holds a wolf head surrounded by two curving vines on either side of it.

As soon as the water calms, the boat moves towards us and sits on the sand. A large hooded man stands with an oar in his hands.

He looks like those pirates I’ve seen in those books Mother found for me. The only difference would be that he’s wearing a black hood.

I do see bright yellow eyes under the hood though.

We quickly step onto the boat and then I see he has a wolf’s head. A regular human body but he has a wolf’s head.

It morphs into his neck and then the fur changes into pale skin. It is tanned a bit, no doubt from the man's time in the ocean. It is pretty interesting, and also a bit creepy.

He glances at me and his eyes go wide. He stares at me for a few moments before shaking his head and turning to Tobias.

“Your destination?” He says to Tobias. He has a deep voice, it sounds kind but also very tired.

“Enfierna.” He says to the pirate wolfman. Not really seeming to think twice about the deformed person in front of us.

When Tobias says the name, the wolfman almost seems to give a sad look. Instantly it disappears.

I have a feeling that place is scary.

With a nod, the wolfman turns to the back of the boat and soon we are set for the water on the horizon.

I am guessing we are going to the shadow of an island in the distance.

“So, who is Raiyo?” I ask. I have only heard his name, but nothing of what he is.

“I am surprised your Mother didn’t tell you about him out of anything in this world. Well, He’s uh...a bit interesting,” Tobias says. The wolfman behind us chuckles.

“Raiyo is a god but he is also an Archdemon. The first Archdemons ever created.”

I frown at that.

If he is a god, that means the humans worship him. They would also be worshiping a demon.

“Yes, that means humans worship a demon as well.” He smirks.

I blink in surprise. How did he know I was thinking that?

“A bunch of humans worship him and they know he is a demon. He is considered the God of a few things. Seduction, Persuasion, and Vengeance.”

I give a weird look at that. It is a bit of a weird combination. I would get persuasion and seduction, but vengeance?

“Like some gods, Raiyo answers the prayers and calls of his followers. Most of them are women, prostitutes, or the poor. He has a huge soft spot for victims of assault.”

The more I hear about him, the more I wonder how this god is possibly a demon. He seems pretty nice to me.

“He doesn’t seem bad at all. How is he considered a demon at all?” I ask.

“First of all, rude, but second of all, he is an Archdemon, and so that means he does things in bad ways...,” Tobias says with a roll of his eyes.

“Raiyo is more of a loose cannon. He does as he wants and pleases. I know he seduced the moon god and slept with him...while the moon god was already married to your mother.”

At that my eyes go wide. I didn’t know my mother was the moon god’s lover!

“Yeah it was pretty bad. Raiyo may have started a small war with that. All he did was laugh it off and carry on like it was nothing, even if there was a war of angels and demons.”

“Why didn’t they punish him for it?” I ask.

“Well, when Raiyo was created, your mother decided to make him completely made it so that he could not die. He is the only one that is that way. Angels, Demons, and Gods may be able to live forever, but we can all still die. Raiyo is the only one who will forever live. Since she did that, what was the point on trying anything against him?”

“Well, that doesn’t seem so bad. It would mean you get to enjoy the world more.” I frown.

I would want the one who hurt Mother to suffer more than just living forever. It doesn’t seem like a fair trade at all.

“Oh that wasn’t all she did. She made it so that he can’t feel a thing. You could touch his cheek and he wouldn’t feel it. He can’t taste anything, smell anything, he can only look on with his eyes and ears. Watching and listening to the world as everyone else enjoys the small things in life, like drinking a small sip of water. Just imagine that. Living forever and not being able to feel a thing.”

I do try and imagine it, and I don’t like it. I am not even sure if Raiyo is deserving of that in all honesty.

Nobody would be.

Why can’t everyone just be happy and live in peace together? This all just gives me a headache.

Gods should be setting an example. Not causing troubles to themselves and others.

I shiver and pull the cloak tighter around me.

I glance at the wolfman, and see a sad expression on his face again.

I see why he is like that now. I would be sad too if I were to think about the god that can’t feel anything.

Guess that explains where Mother goes when she doesn’t talk to me. She is either with her husband or she is at the gates of heaven.

If what Tobias says is true, then I would imagine the gates were quite busy right now. I wonder why she hasn't asked me to help her.

One thing sticks out to me out of all this. Why would Mother tell me to hide from the moon if she is married to him? It doesn’t make any sense.

“Well this is weird.” Tobias says. I look up at him and raise my eyebrows. “You aren’t as talkative as you usually are. I like this change.” He gives a cocky grin.

I roll my eyes with a smile, “I am just thinking. My Mother tells me to hide from the moon god, yet she is married to him. Why would she do that?”

He wraps his arm around my shoulders but seems to realize was he is doing and jerks it away.

“Uh-um...I was wondering that too,” He sits up more and turns his gaze to the water in front of us, “Then I remembered, the moon god is a huge asshole.”

My eyes just about bug out of my head.

“Oh relax, it’s daytime.” He waves it off and keeps talking, “he has a history of causing some serious damage. Have you ever heard of The Tragedy of Yinx?”

I nod my head.

Yes I have heard of that story.

Mother told me about the God of darkness, and the 'Evil God' who killed a young man named Yinx, destroyed half a city, and gave a bad name to the gods.

I guess Mother didn’t want to tell me about the moon god and so she changed the name to ‘evil god’.

If she thinks he is evil, why would she marry him?

“Yeah well there is that as an example. He has also started many wars with the humans. The old god tends to try and get more power.” He frowns before turning to me, “maybe it is just me, but I have a feeling that the world’s life force being sucked away has something to do with him.”

I give a small nod and turn to the water. I even lean my head on Tobias’ shoulder.

He doesn’t shrug me off.

So many things to think about. I wish I could talk to Mother right now. I have so many questions.

These are all questions of things I learned from a random demon, things Mother should have told me long ago.

Perhaps this Raiyo will have answers for me?

If he has a history with my Mother, then surely he knows something.

Copyright © 2018 JujuTheDruid; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 10
  • Love 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..