Jump to content
    JujuTheDruid
  • Author
  • 3,324 Words
  • 1,098 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A Star's Element - 10. Mother's Approval

Luno

I can only manage a small squeak before Tobias kisses me.

Kisses me!

I haven’t been kissed in so long. Not since Viktor.

Maybe it is because it has been so long or maybe it is because I am just desperate for affection, but I can't help but want to kiss back.

I just can’t do it. I am in shock.

Why would Tobias want to kiss me? He constantly calls me names and had tried to bring me down a few times. So obviously we are not considered friends right?

We have literally only just met almost three days ago. I do not know how or what I feel right now.

Man these kissing rules are terribly confusing.

So much has been happening that I am only left feeling confused, embarrassed, and a little...happy?

I should not be happy.

Tobias pulls back and looks down at me.

I can feel my face burning up with embarrassment.

“I-uh...um…w-why?” I just choke on my words and bring my hands up to cover my face.

I can barely breathe. I am way too out of it to look at Tobias right now. I do not know what to say. I'm pretty sure if I tried talking right now, I would only make things worse for me.

Already this is a disaster.

“I don’t know” He says.

There is a long pause before he talks again.

“I’m sorry. I...I shouldn’t have done that. It will not happen again.”

He moves to get off of me but then he goes flying backwards and lands hard on his back.

“Damn right it won’t be happening again.”

A familiar vibrating presence is here.

It is Mother.

“Do not hurt him!” I shout and stand, dusting off any snow stuck on me. “He did nothing wrong!”

The air in front of me goes still. She has moved to stand in front of me.

“You'd best watch your attitude.” Mother snarls, “He put himself onto you. I should have known you’d be stupid enough to just let it happen. No doubt that has been put into your stupid brain.”

I feel my head warming with anger now.

“Honestly it is disgusting." She goes on, "You are like some stray dog that follows when it gets even the smallest bit of affection. You leave without me for a day and you manage to get yourself into business that does not need your attention!”

My anger then goes away. I should not be angry. She is just worried. I would be too I guess.

I know from before that when she is worried, she says things she doesn’t mean to say.

“I’m fine, Mother. Not a scratch on me!” I say calmly and open my arms for her to inspect.

I doubt she will but I'll take anything to calm her down.

I see Tobias staring at me with wide eyes.

“He did not hurt me or come onto me, Mother. It was just...just…” I don’t know what it was.

I feel warmth surround me. Mother is hugging me.

“The demon took you to that whore’s realm. What if I lost you? I would not have been able to do anything about it! Do you realize how easily he banished me? You were in danger that whole time!"

I sigh. “I know, I know. Mother, Raiyo told me things, things that you should have told me long ago. Why didn’t you tell me about the moon god? Morgoren?”

The warmth disappears.

“Do not speak of that whore’s name.” A small pause, “You would believe everything he says so easily? Have you not learned from before?”

“Would you continue to lie to me? If everything he said was true, you would just continue to act like nothing happened? That you aren’t married to the moon god, the one you tell me to hide from. I need answers, Mother. Please!”

Tobias stands behind where Mother is and slowly makes his way to my side, careful not to run into Mother. I doubt he would honestly.

I can practically feel her keeping an eye on Tobias. No doubt still angry about how she found us earlier.

“I will tell you things that you needed to know, but you must come back with me to the Sanctuary.”

I bite my lip at that. “I-uh, I can’t exactly do that right now.”

“And why not?”

I poke the ground with my toes. “I may or may not have agreed to help with all the humans that are dying.”

“You made an agreement with the Archdemon?” She practically yells the last two words.

The ground vibrates from the force and snow falls from some snow covered trees.

I grip onto Tobias’ arm, mostly for confidence, but also to make sure she doesn’t try to kill him.

She wouldn’t try anything if I managed to stay close to him. Right?

“It was not a bad agreement! I just want to help the world. You know that is what I want to do! How could I decline?” I can feel my voice whining and I want to kick myself for it.

I am only met with a cold silence. I can tell she is still there however. The vibrations are still coming off from in front of me.

Is this some kind of god thing? I felt them off of Raiyo as well.

I glance at Tobias and see he is trying to keep a straight face. He must be terrified.

I squeeze his arm to try and comfort him in some way.

“I see.” She says after a long pause. “Just...be sure to hide from the moonlight. He will find you if it manages to touch you. Do you understand?”

I give a nod. “I promise I will. I still need to know why I am hiding from him, Mother.”

“I’ll tell you soon. Just not right now. I will find you in a few days. Please be careful out there, Lunarico.”

Oh she said my full name. She’s being very serious right now.

“I will, Mother. You be careful as well, alright?” I smile.

The vibrations move to my right towards Tobias.

I glance at him and see he has managed to make a convincing face that acts as if nothing is bothering him.

Soon however, his skin begins to pale and his eyes begin to widen in fear.

Then Mother is gone. Everything is back to normal. No vibrations and the world does not feel as quiet as it was seconds ago.

“She’s gone.” I whisper and step away from him.

He lets out a shaky breath of air and kneels down into the snow.

“What did she tell you?” I ask.

He just shakes his head. “It was nothing. Just the usual protective mother. I guess I was wrong to think she didn’t really care for you.”

I smile at that and offer my hand for him to stand.

He accepts it and stands in front of me.

For a small moment, we just stare at each other. I can’t tell if we are both waiting for the other to make a move or maybe one of us wants to say something about what happened before Mother arrived.

Tobias decides then that we should make are way to the small town that will be attacked.

Perhaps that is for the best.

~~~
~~~

Tobias

It kind of hit me when the Gatekeeper used Luno's full name.

Most have heard of that name, but he casually introduced himself as Luno that I just kind of forgot that Lunarico was his real name.

I was very wrong to believe the Gatekeeper did not care for Luno. She only gave small threats, yet they were small threats from a goddess.

They were mostly saying that I had better keep Luno safe and I had better not play with his heart. Of course I wouldn’t. It would be best not to push for or on that.

Even if he has the sweetest smile or how precious it is that his little flowers turn a bright shade of pink when he is flustered over something as small as a kiss.

I mean...it wasn’t small. It should not be small. I just...I...I do not know why I did it. It is not like me. I've barely met him and I just did that...thing.

I feel bad mainly because I pushed myself onto him. It is not right of me.

“I am sorry.” I say after a time.

It has been a rather silent walk. That is all we seem to be having lately. Just long awkward silences.

From what I have seen, I know he talks a lot. I saw him talking to all those animals. It makes me a little angry that I am the one who seems to be the cause of his silence.

Luno looks up at me and smiles. “It’s fine.” His flowers slowly start to turn pink once again. “I just did not expect it is all.”

I huff a laugh. “Yeah, me neither.”

Another awkward silence.

Gods this is painful. Surely he feels how weird it is too? Why can’t he just start talking to the snow or some shit? I would take anything to make him talk right now.

I glance down at him briefly and see he has his eyes trained straight ahead of us. He does not even flinch as each step he takes is into deep snow.

“Won’t you get frostbite?” I say, mildly concerned.

He’s a fucking star. Of course he wouldn’t.

Luno, again, puts on a smile before speaking. “Nope! I do not feel the chill so it does not affect me. You know I have a snowy habitat back at the Sanctuary, right? We kind of walked around in it for a good while.”

I roll my eyes, “Yes I know, but I don’t want you getting yourself hurt over something as stupid as frostbite.”

He just laughs at me. Laughs.

“Frostbite is not stupid, and would it make you feel better if I found some clothes? Apparently my cloak is not enough for you.”

“As a matter of fact, I would very much like it if you would get some clothes. Do you not realize how distracting it is? Not to mention just how unfit your little skirt is for our quest.”

“Skirt?” He laughs loud and shakes his head. “Fine, since it bothers you so much, give me a moment.”

He smiles as he walks away from me and hides behind a tree.

“Nobody else has complained about my clothes! Who knew the big bad demon would be worried about my feet.” He calls out.

“I don’t care about your stupid feet. Let them freeze if you so badly want to. By the way, none of your friends could speak english, you idiot.”

He actually cackles at that. “Well you aren’t wrong.”

I smile and give out a sigh.

He’s annoying.

Luno comes out but he is in entirely new outfit. It is...well, at least it is better than before.

It's only a short dark blue toga. At least his chest and stomach are covered. Why he feels the need to keep his thighs in view, I’ll never know, but something that really sticks out to me is his shoes. The type of shoes he decided to wear? Sandals.

Fucking. Sandals.

I glare at them.

“Really? I said shoes. You know, to protect your feet from the snow!” I fold my arms and shake my head.

This person is absolutely insane.

Something catches my attention. A flash of gold flies through the trees to our right.

“Take it or leave it.” He giggles and walks past me. “The snow does not affect me. Just let it go!”

The figure continues to fly fast through the trees. It is an Angel. It ignores our presence and makes its way towards...the town up ahead.

I quickly place myself between Luno and the approaching Angel. I pull out my pistol and sword.

“Stay behind me.” I say. I won’t let it try to trick us in any way. It could possibly be trying to distract us for an attack.

Luno peeks around me to look at the Angel flying ahead of us.

He then gives a sigh and laughs.

“It’s just an Angel.” He says. “Gods you scared me! They work with Mother so maybe we can ask them to help us with the town?”

I shake my head. “They are not good, Luno. They kill to add to their numbers. Since it ignored us, I have a feeling that the town has already been hit.”

At that Luno’s eyes go wide and he all of a sudden bolts for the town.

I curse under my breath and quickly run after him.

~~~
~~~

Luno

I stand in the middle of so many bodies.

Children hugging their mothers and fathers, a few lovers huddled together, the few lone souls who just didn’t have anybody.

Everyone was piled together in the middle of the town. Their animals were placed here as well. Even the cows.

I feel my eyes watering at the sight of a baby that is far too pale who is nestled close to their mother’s chest.

Tobias comes up behind me and rests a hand on my shoulder.

“Don’t look any longer,” He says, “You can bring them back. We aren’t alone either.”

I glance back at him and he nods to our left.

Perched on the roofs of random homes and buildings, there are different demons covered in strange shadows.

They are all standing and keeping watch. What would they be keeping watch of?

“Come on, Luno. You will be safe. I’ll be right here to help you, alright?” He says while massaging his fingers into my shoulder.

I just give a short nod. “Thank you.”

Tobias back away from all the bodies and I give it all one last look.

A few questions run through my mind.

What has done this? Why would this happen? These are innocent living beings. At least I hope.

Just...why would someone want to do this? Round them all up together as if they are preparing food for dinner. It is wrong.

Raiyo said that reverting the damage first would help.

Is he hoping to weaken the source through this? I hope it works.

I quickly wipe away any tears on my face and then fly up high into the air.

From up here I can see that the sun is going to set soon. I need to find somewhere to hide after this.

I see Tobias is sitting on the steps of someone’s home, staring up at me. I give a small wave.

He waves back.

I close my eyes and take deep breaths. I have to clear my head and try not think about all the death that is beneath me.

Don’t think about all the troubles I have learned recently and definitely don’t think about the kiss with Tobias.

As soon as I feel a nice peaceful silence, I open my eyes.

The air around me has stopped moving. It waits for what I will do next.

I cross my arms and hug them close to my chest. I feel a pulse beginning to grow inside me and then I reach one hand forward.

With one finger, I trace a large circle that shines in the air. It creates a flat blurry shape with what looks like dark liquidy colors swirling around.

I like to think it leads to another realm, but I know it just reveals what you are inside.

I always assumed that I was special thanks to Mother. Apparently it is only because I am a star.

I guess that is a bit of a let down.

I hope nobody stares at me when I go through it. It can burn your eyes and make you blind.

One more deep breath to clear my thoughts again. Can’t have all these negative thoughts right now. It would only make this weaker. I must always give it my all. Especially if it is for a group of humans this big.

I close my eyes and push my hand through, instantly a loud sound echoes into the sky and then light begins to shine beneath my eyelids.

I keep pushing as a warmth begins to spread across my skin.

It is a sweet warmth, like when you get a hug from someone tall and large. Those bear hugs. I love that feeling.

I fly fully through the small portal and then the light grows even brighter.

I can’t really see what is going on below me but I can tell from the sounds of groaning and cries of shock, that the magic is working.

I smile and just keep myself like this for a good few more minutes. I want to make sure everyone has come back.

Tobias said that their souls could be taken from Angels.

They sound greedy and evil. Why would anyone make them sound so trustworthy?

I want to say it is most likely Tobias is lying because he is a Demon and is therefore against the Angels, but he said he was an Angel once before.

I am pretty sure he wouldn’t lie to me. He does not really seem to give off any vibes that he would.

He can be rude but not a liar.

Is that what the Demons circling us are looking out for? Angels? I guess I can be glad that Raiyo sent them.

Strange how Demons seem to care more about humans than Angels. It is almost like they should switch their names. It would be more fitting.

When about fifteen minutes has gone by, I pull myself back through the portal and then my body no longer glows or shines in any way.

I rub my eyes and glance down at the people below.

Tobias and all the demons have disappeared.

All the townspeople are either struggling to stand or crying and hugging their families and loved ones.

Most of the animals are running around in joy. They call out to each other, no doubt happy to see their own friends.

I smile at the sight.

Patches of grass and flowers have managed to sprout through the stone streets and vines cling to most rooftops now. I would apologize but obviously that would be dumb.

I bet Tobias would still think I’d apologize for it!

Speaking of Tobias, where is he?

I fly away from the town and look around the edges of the woods. All I see is snow and trees with new green leaves.

Oops! Poor things will die pretty quickly. As much as I wish they wouldn’t, that can’t exactly be helped.

“Tobias?” I call out every now and then.

He wouldn’t just leave me would he? I thought we were starting to become good friends.

Sure we kissed and it made my lips feel all tingly, but I didn’t think it would scare him off.

I frown when I start to think he really did leave, then a loud screech goes off in the distance.

Enfi!

I bolt through the air for my friend and end up finding something I didn’t really expect. Though I am happy for it.

Enfi has Tobias pinned to the ground with her talons and pecks his head with her beak any time Tobias tries to push her off.

I land on the snow and then both of them turn their heads to me at the same time.

“So are you just going to stare or are you going to help me?” Tobias groans as he tries to force Enfi's talons off of him.

He gives up and leans his head back into the snow.

I laugh and make my way over to help him get her off.

Copyright © 2018 JujuTheDruid; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 9
  • Love 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Seeing how Luno, Tobias, and Mother interact with each other was fun. Also cool to see Luno using his powers for good!

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..