Jump to content
    Krista
  • Author
  • 11,365 Words
  • 2,164 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

My Sleeping Beauty - 1. Chapter 1

I couldn’t wait for this year to begin. It will only be a few more days four to be exact that my best friend Aras would be going for his license. He had been driving in the back roads around his house with his dad and this year I just knew that we would be in a car soon enough. We would no longer be dependent on parents to take us places. We could take the girls places as well as the parties. No more chaperoned parties. This was a time in our lives where we would finally have the ability to sneak around. There were so many more ways to do it and not get caught.

We had been friends way back before either of us remember. The only proof that we knew one another was tons of embarrassing pictures that our mothers liked to show. That was before his mother died a few years after Aras’s fifth birthday. The pictures were still there, but the stories that his mother knew weren’t. Now it was just his father and him and most of the time he spent his time over at my house. Both our parents were young. Phil couldn’t raise Aras with out taking up two jobs and that meant that Aras and I spent a lot of time together.

Now we were in high school. We had accomplished a lot together over the years. We didn’t have tons of friends, but we didn’t need them. It was always us and that’s how we liked it. We did pick up three friends along the way though. Jamie, Kelli, and Kerry. First they were just admirers. Nothing ever was serious with any of them, we couldn’t drive and everyone knew that no relationship was serious until you could make out in the backseat in your first car. I had dated Kelli in middle school and she was friends with Jamey. Her twin sister was Kerry and when Aras started dating her everyone thought it was cute. The fact that both of them looked alike right down to having identical small moles on their face below their left eyes.

Aras and I did have our fights like any normal friends. They just never lasted long. A few hours of silence between the two of us were too much. The longest we had been apart was when Aras’s mother died and his father wanted to keep Aras close to him. He really was a protective father, but I wanted to be close to him. We didn’t live next door to one another and getting his license also meant that he could come over even more than he already did. It was Monday and I was being taken to school by my mother and we were waiting on Aras to hurry up and get ready.

“Maybe Phil forgot to wake him up again?” Mom half asked half wondered. He really was late, but Aras liked to take a lot of time in getting ready.

“He’s probably just primping mom,” I responded laughing slightly.

“Well go hurry him up dear,” mom suggested and I got out of the car and started walking up his long sidewalk. When I got to the door it opened and there Aras was standing in the doorway looking at me.
“Ready to go?” I asked looking him over. He had started spiking his hair last year and I liked it. His strawberry blonde hair matched his mother’s, but he had Phil’s dark eyes.

“Yeah,” he answered he was smiling at me too. I hadn’t started spiking my hair. I liked my hair to be longer and my light brown hair looked good like that. Today I had it gelled into a messy look that Aras said he liked. It was only when my mom honked the horn that we knew the two of us had zoned out and we both started walking down the sidewalk after Aras closed his door and checking to make sure it was locked.

“How are you Aras?” Mom asked as we got into the back seat together.

“I’m alright,” he answered smiling at her. “You won’t have to do this after Wednesday.”

“Oh, have you been practicing?” Mom asked looking back; she hadn’t started the car yet.

“Yeah, dad’s been able to take me a lot,” Aras responded and mom took off her seat belt.

“Well I think you could drive to school,” mom said and Aras opened his door and got out of the car. I watched as mom and him passed one another and when they were both in the car Aras started the car. “Wait, what are you forgetting to do?”

“What do you mean?” Aras asked checking the gears and the mirrors.

“Your seatbelt,” mom answered and Aras rolled his eyes at me through the rearview mirror.

“Thanks Gail,” Aras said then he slowly backed out of his driveway and we were on our way to school.

We lived in the country and there were a lot of curvy roads. They were easy to practice driving on only because in the country there never was much traffic. That didn’t make it any easier knowing that my best friend was on the road. Given that I’ll be riding a lot with him in the next few years didn’t mean that I was ok with it yet. Mom looked calm enough though and she never had to grab the wheel, but I was thankful when we got to school.


“Well look at you Aras,” mom said when he shut off the car. She sounded proud of him. “You even know how to parallel park.”


“Yeah, trashcans help a lot,” he offered and then he got out of the car. I grabbed his bag and I handed it to him when I got to where he was standing on the sidewalk.


“You two have fun, see you after school,” mom said then she got in her car. She never kissed me goodbye when we were at school. She wasn’t like one of these mothers that demanded it even though it was one of the most embarrassing things to go through.


“Wait Gail, dad told me that he couldn’t pick us up after school,” Aras said and mom sighed. She had her window down and this was common. Phil was supposed to alternate days with my mom, but he hardly ever did it.


“Ok, that’s fine,” mom said smiling, “bye kids, love ya.” She started the car and we turned and walked into the school. It was a small school only about six hundred students and we had the smallest class of only a hundred and four.


“A few more days and your mom won’t have to do this,” he said frowning that tight smile. I knew he thought he was trouble for us. He’s thought that ever since his mom died. I’ve tried to tell him differently, but it’s never really mattered.


“How’s my guys?” Jamey asked appearing out of nowhere she was a lot shorter than the rest of us. She had the biggest attitude though and she’d actually be scary if she didn’t come up to our chest. She was a pretty girl though and she was older than me by a few months. She would be getting her license a week or two after Aras went for his.


“We’re fine,” I answered then I reached up and squeezed Aras’s shoulder.


“Where are the other two stooges?” Aras asked he draped his arm around Jamie and the three of us started walking down the hall.


“They called and the last thing I heard was,” Jamey started then let out a short laugh, “Kelli no that’s what I’m wearing today!”


“So this means we won’t see them til lunch,” I joked, the two of them thought a lot alike and that done more harm than good.


“Probably not,” Jamey responded then I stopped at the door where my first class was. I didn’t have any classes with any of them, but they all had classes together. I tried getting my schedule switched around, but I never could think of a good enough reason. My grades were just as good as theirs, but the old ass councilor never understood why people needed to be in the same class as their friends.


“See you guys after school,” I said then I entered my math class. The days were long for me and I missed out on a lot of gossip. I never had to take homework home. There weren’t any distractions and the only thing that passed the time before the call ended was to do the homework. I also didn’t go out for any sports or clubs either. I used to with Aras until his dad Phil took the second job. He couldn’t take Aras to and from the practices for basketball so Aras was kicked off the team. It was after he was kicked off the team that my mom started taking Aras to school. His mom Sara’s death really made things difficult for their family and sometimes Aras blamed his mom for it. Those times it was my mom that corrected him. She told him that it was no ones fault, just bad luck.


The rest of the day went just like the ones before. Nothing happened and I only saw glimpses of my friends. When I did I saw them talking together or walking to class. I didn’t like scheduling and hated when teachers were the ones to schedule them. When the last bell rang I left my class and went to the spot where I always met Aras and waited to be picked up. It was mom that made the most trips to pick us up. I would think that she would just come anyway and not ask Phil to pick us up. She was probably just giving him the chance to go out of his way for once.


“Hey bud,” Aras greeted at the part of the sidewalk we always stood on. It was away from the business of the busses coming and going. Mom never got here to pick us up right after school dismissed us. That didn’t bother me though as I always had someone waiting with me.


“Hi,” I responded and we patted fists.


“How was your day?” He asked and I rolled my eyes.


“I barely kept my eyes open listening to Mrs. Shay read,” I said and he smiled at me.


“Well Kerry and Kelli both showed up in the same outfit,” Aras said and he started laughing. “They looked retarded.”

“I didn’t see them,” I offered watching him laugh.

“It wasn’t even anything worth fighting over,” he explained, “them two are just weird I don’t know what we saw in them.”

“Well that’s probably why it didn’t work out with them,” I said and he stopped and looked at me.

“Yeah, I guess,” he said then we both got quiet. Neither one of us were serious about our relationships with Kelli and Kerry. We both thought that we were both lucky that they didn’t bitch at us for dumping them like we did. “Can I tell you something?”

“Yeah,” I answered, “Of course you can.”

“Dad has been drinking again,” Aras whispered and I frowned. I knew he was about to say something bad. He always asked permission before he told me something that I wouldn’t like to hear.

“Like he was before?” I asked remembering how bad his dad’s drinking was. It was before he took the second job. He would come home drunk and Aras would take care of him by cooking dinner. Then Aras would have to be quiet in the mornings when his dad was hung over. It wasn’t something that Aras told me, Phil was arrested for driving drunk and it embarrassed him.

We lived in a small town and everyone knew about Phil’s drinking problem probably before Aras did. I know my mom was suspicious of it before he got into trouble. He had a second job now though and the drinking problem went away. He didn’t have time to go out or come home and get drunk.

“Yeah, like he was before,” he answered finally.

“Do you want to stay at our house then?” I asked and Aras smiled quickly then looked down at his feet. He looked like he was thinking about it, but I already knew the answer.

“No,” he said and I nodded my head.

“You know you’re not a problem for us Aras,” I started and Aras looked at me in a way that I didn’t care for at all.

“But you shouldn’t even have wonder about me thinking that Nik,” Aras huffed and I looked up and saw my mom turning onto the road that lead to school. “Just don’t worry about me alright.”

“It’s hard not to,” I said and Aras sighed. “Especially if your dad is doing that shit again.”

“Are you still coming over after I get back from my driver’s test?” Aras asked as mom pulled up.

“Yeah,” I answered and he looked relieved. I couldn’t tell mom that Phil could be drinking again or she’d not let me go to his house. It took a lot of explaining to get me back into his house the first time. She wouldn’t let me anymore. We got into the car and mom turned to look at us.

“How was school boys?” Mom asked smiling at us.

“Boring,” I answered rolling my eyes. “Even the teachers about fell asleep today.”

“School was fine Gail,” Aras responded and that’s how we normally answered her question. Aras liked school where as I hated it.

“Well one of these years they’ll let you two take the same classes at the same time,” Mom said always trying to give us hope. The only people that got to take classes together were the privileged. That privileged list only included the principal’s daughter and her friends.

“Can I drive home?” Aras asked just as mom started driving.

“I don’t know, there’s always a lot of traffic after school is over,” she answered stopping the car to think it over.

“Well you do know that if I get my license I’ll have to deal with this traffic,” he pointed out then offered mom a smile. It was my favorite smile of his, I don’t think anyone could say no to it. No matter what he was asking for. My mom was no exception and when she put the car in park and got out Aras opened the door and scooted out. Again I watched them switch places and when Aras and mom were seated and buckled in we started back home.

“So how are the girls?” Mom asked relaxing back into her seat. Aras was driving pretty smoothly even if all the older students were buzzing around in their cars. Spinning tires and passing where they weren’t supposed to. I was a nervous wreck. The security officer looked a little nervous as well. Aras and my mom though didn’t look troubled at all by it.

“The girls are fine,” I answered from the back seat.

“Yeah, Kerry and Kelli were late for school again,” Aras, added and my mom let out a small laugh.

“I don’t see how those two don’t get into any trouble,” mom sighed. The traffic evened out and calmed down after we were closer to home.

Not a lot of kids lived where Aras and I did. We lived on the other side of town; the school was in the middle of it. Most of the kids our age with licenses hung out at the old skating ring after school. It had been run down for a few years. The town was supposed to renovate it into a theatre, but the officials never had it done. Now it was just an empty building that was the spot where seniors got to hang out. They got drunk on weekends or after a big football game. Next year Aras, the girls, and I will be seniors and the keys will be handed down to our class to use for the year. It was one of the traditions that lasted over the years. The sports teams weren’t that good anymore and with the interstate built a few miles away it really killed this town.


When we were at Aras’s house and parked we all saw that Phil was at home. My mom let out a short sigh and Aras got out of the car. Mom glanced in my direction before she got out. Then the back door opened and Aras crawled in to get his bag.

“Don’t tell Gail,” he whispered and I nodded, “see you tomorrow,” I watched as mom waved bye to Aras. She got into the car and she didn’t say anything. I knew that she was mad when she turned to where she could see to back out of the driveway. I didn’t like to keep this secret from her. The last time it wasn’t bad. No body was hurt other than Aras. That was the part I didn’t like about keeping this secret really. The only person it did hurt was him. He wanted to keep it for now. Aras would tell her if it got bad I thought.

“Phil was probably just stopping in to give Aras a lesson before he left,” I said. I wanted to calm her down before she called Phil later to ask him what exactly he was doing. Phil and my mom went to school together too. Not many people mom’s age moved too far away from the place they were born. I could see myself getting out of here for college. I could also see myself coming back here afterwards. Knowing Phil as well as she did though meant that she could push him for answers. No one was better at getting answers than my mom.

“Maybe I should get your dad to talk to him,” she responded after we parked and sat in the driveway for a few seconds. I didn’t want to leave her in case she picked up her cell phone to start her interrogation.

“Well dad is Phil’s boss so he would know,” I started, “he hasn’t said anything out of the ordinary about Phil.”

“That’s right, but remember we were the last to know last time,” Mom countered then she opened her door and I followed her out of the car.

“Yeah, but last time Phil didn’t work for dad,” I pointed out and mom turned and raised an eyebrow.

“Do you know anything dear?” She asked and I looked at her before forcing a smile.

“You know Aras would be blushing if he knew you worried about him this much,” I dodged and she smiled briefly.

“You would tell me if anything was wrong,” she said then she unlocked the door. Dad always fixed dinner for us. It was always still hot when we got in and there would always be a dirty plate in the sink where he had already ate. Dad owned a convenient store. He was also a teacher, but not at the high school I went to.

“Does dad need help tonight?” I asked as we looked over the food. We were having spaghetti it was one of my dad’s favorite meals to cook so we had it often.

“No, you’re off the hook,” mom answered as we started fixing our plate.

“What did you do today?” I asked trying to make conversation to keep her mind from wondering back to Phil and catching him at home when he wasn’t supposed to be.

“I had to do a lot of editing,” mom answered, “for the news paper this time.”

“Oh,” I answered and mom laughed.

“Yeah, probably about as boring as your day,” she said then she looked down at her food. “Do you think Aras would want some of this?”

“Well I’m sure Phil cooked for him mom,” I answered I reached under the table and I pulled my cell phone out of my pocket and placed it on the table.

“Well why don’t you call him and see,” mom said and I picked the phone back up and found his number in my call list and when it started ringing I started getting nervous. I didn’t want Phil to answer the phone. Mom would know he didn’t go to work then. It was probably a trick to get some kind of answer, but I couldn’t think of a way to get out of it.

“Hello,” Aras greeted answering the phone and I smiled.

“Hi,” I greeted, “mom was wondering if you wanted something to eat.” I looked up to see my mom. She looked slightly relieved and she had finally started eating.

“No, I cooked me something,” he answered.

“Oh, ok,” I answered noticing that Aras sounded a little upset. I didn’t think anything about it. He would tell me if something happened.

“Well I better go and eat while it’s still hot,” he said after a short pause.

“Ok man, see you tomorrow.” I offered and then I pushed the button ending the call. “See mom, nothing to worry about.”

“I wasn’t,” she defended wiping her mouth with her napkin. “I was just seeing if he was hungry or not.”

“He fixed himself something,” I said and she frowned briefly then she cleared her throat.

“You will tell me if anything is wrong right?” She asked resting her arms on the table.

“Yeah,” I answered shrugging, “there’s nothing wrong.”

“Promise?” Mom pushed and I rolled my eyes.

“Mom,” I groaned taking a bite of food. I was about to continue, but she held up her finger.

“Don’t talk with your mouth fool,” she corrected and I chewed carefully. When I swallowed and after I took a drink of milk I looked at her.

“Yes, I will tell you if there’s anything wrong with Phil and Aras,” I assured her even if it was a small lie.

“Ok good,” she responded, “I just don’t want Aras going through that again.”

“I know, I don’t either,” I agreed.

“Do you have any homework?” Mom asked changing the subject.

“No,” I answered.

“You never have homework,” she countered and I could tell she wanted me out of the room. She was going to figure Phil out tonight if it meant sneaking over to his house and stalking the man.

“That’s because I get it done during class,” I explained, “wanna see it?”

“No, I believe you,” she answered and then we both looked at one another. We could hear the breeze blowing the wind chimes mom had hanging by the front window. It was a light breeze, but the soothing sound didn’t do anything to lighten the mood in the kitchen. “I need to go finish that editing I have to do.”

“Alright,” I said standing when she did. I stretched then and grabbed both our plates and took them to the sink. I started putting dishes into the dishwasher then and when I got them all in there I started it. I peaked into the living room where mom was looking over something on her computer. I left her there satisfied that she wasn’t going to be nosey and walked up the stairs. I took a long shower thinking that my life couldn’t get any emptier, but that was all right too. I didn’t have to have sports or a girl friend. Aras was in my life and that satisfied me. I was glad that I found my best friend and was able to keep him that way over the years.

When I ended my shower I walked into my room with my towel around my waist. I rummaged through my drawers and found some boxer briefs and shorts. After putting them on I got into bed and looked at the clock. It was really too early to lie down and get ready for bed, but I didn’t want to do anything else. I really just wanted the next few days to go by faster so that Aras and I would finally get our freedom.

Tomorrow would be one of the rare better days to go to school. The school gives four award days during the year. Two in the fall semester and two in the spring semester and tomorrow was first award day of fall. That only lasted until lunch, but it meant that I could at least spend half the day with Aras, Kerry, Kelli, and Jamey.

I couldn’t remember when I fell asleep, but I woke up before my alarm went off. There was only one more day until Aras’s birthday and his chance to get his license. I took another long shower and after I was dressed I went to my computer to check my mail. I always had some funny letter from Jamey. She was the one that had the best sense of humor. I didn’t really talk to the girls out side of school. Aras did though he was a lot more outgoing than I was. The last thing I done was type a paper that I was due. I had written it in class and it was time to go when I was printing it out.

When I got down stairs I saw dad and mom talking in the kitchen. Dad was dressed and mom wasn’t so I knew that he would be dropping us off at school today. His high school was in the next county.

“Ready to go kid?” Dad asked noticing me at the bottom of the stairs.

“Yeah,” I answered then mom opened her purse.

“Here’s some lunch money,” she said then handed me a five-dollar bill. I only needed two dollars and when I looked up at her. “For Aras if Phil forgets.”

“Ok,” I said stuffing it into my pocket. We could get real jobs after Aras got his license. It would end our scavenging off our parents. We could finally just buy the stuff we wanted. “What are you doing today mom?”

“I have to send the edits back to the paper then my writer has stuff for me to edit also,” she answered, “why?”

“Oh, nothing,” I answered shrugging.

“Well let’s hit the road Nik,” dad said he grabbed his mug of coffee and I pulled my bag back over my shoulder and I followed him into the kitchen and out the front door.

“Did you talk to Phil any last night dad?” I asked as soon as we were in the car and started on the road.

“Yes I did,” he answered then glanced over at me. “Why?”

“No reason,” I answered and I knew that I was bad at sneaking around. “So he went into work?”

“No he called in sick,” dad answered then he took a sip of his coffee.

“Oh,” I said turning to look out the window. We were going towards Aras’s house and when we got there we saw Phil’s car in the drive again. Dad got out and into the passenger’s seat and only a few minutes later Aras was walking out of the front door. He smiled when he saw that my dad had switched places and he opened the back door briefly to throw is bag into it. After he was in the front seat he started dad’s large red suv. It was a lot different from my mom’s small blue car. Dad needed it to haul some of his crafts that he made in the back yard to sell in his store. They were mostly wooden rocking chairs and shelves, but they sold well and it gave dad a hobby that he liked. He didn’t have a lot of time to really work on them these days though. Not after Phil started working, the courts had ruled that he be supervised. That meant my dad had to do it. Aras didn’t look like he slept very well or he looked like he had just woke up before we came. His hair was still wet and the shirt he had on was wrinkled. He really looked like a mess and I started thinking that I made a bad decision in not telling my mom.

“Are you ok Aras?” Dad asked when Aras had a little trouble backing out of the driveway.

“This car is just huge Mitch,” Aras said then he sighed. “I don’t think I can drive it.”

“Well here, just stay calm,” dad said then he looked at Aras. “Look through all your mirrors to see if you can see out of them.” When Aras did he adjusted the rearview one a little. “Now if you look through my side window and can see the road then you’re alright.”

“I can,” Aras said then dad tightened up his seat belt.

“So put it back in reverse and smoothly start backing out of the driveway,” dad urged and when he started. “Now glance over to my mirror to make sure you’re not in the yard.”

“I’m not,” Aras, said I heard my dad let out a breath then. When we were at the end of the driveway Aras made sure it was clear then backed out. We ended up in the middle of the road and Dad started laughing when Aras rushed to get on his side of the road.

“Well your dad better not buy you one of these,” dad said and Aras let out a quiet giggle. He had to peak over the stirring wheel and I could tell he was nervous driving. I was thinking the entire time that we were going to wreck and was only relieved when we turned onto the road that led to school. When Aras got there and parked he looked more awake to me and I was relieved.

“Well how’d I do?” Aras asked turning to look at my dad.

“You did good Aras, really proud of you kid,” dad said then we all got out of the suv. Dad didn’t wait around he was going to be cutting it close getting to school on time.

“Tomorrow is the big day,” I said and Aras smiled at me.

“Yeah it is,” he agreed then we walked into the school. We saw Jamey and the twins in the hallway when we entered.
“Hey boys,” Kerry greeted as the three of them cornered us in the hallway. We had to be in the gym waiting for the busses to get her. We would be going to the local YMCA. The only thing we couldn’t do was swim and that was fine. I got enough swimming in during the summer.

“Hi Kerry,” I greeted and Aras gave them all a wave.

“Today is going to kick ass,” Kelli said looking exciting. “At least until lunch anyway.”

“Students get to the gym,” Mrs. Shay ordered and then ushered us from our spot in the hall. She followed us through the school to the gym and when we got in there we noticed that everyone from our class was sitting down on the bleachers. The gym was a roar with people talking and the teachers were standing around. The principal was also in here. The upper classmen had awards during the beginning of the day. The seniors just had a skip day; we had to take a trip. It was only a short drive the local YMCA since a lot of the sports were played there.

“Well you two decided to dress differently today,” I pointed out and they both smiled.

“Yeah, we didn’t want to spoil the morning,” Kelli said and Kerry rolled her eyes and Kelli saw her.

“And what was that for?” Kerry asked crossing her arms and I just sat back to watch them go at it again.

“Well you always seem to ruin my mood every sing day,” Kelli explained also crossing her arms. It was uncanny how identical they looked and a lot of guys noticed it too. They were off limits though. Their parents didn’t allow them to date after they found out about Aras and I. That wasn’t the reason we broke up though. It just didn’t feel right to me.

“I ruin your mood,” Kerry hissed, “You ruin my mood.”

“How can I ruin your mood?” Kelli asked raising her voice.

“By acting like such a bitch that’s why,” Kerry answered then stuck out her tongue.

“Well you both are ruining my mood,” Jamey butted in she squeezed in between them. “Scoot over, you two aren’t allowed to talk until we get to the center.”

“Fine,” they both answered at the same time. It only made them glare at one another and make faces behind Jamey’s back. At least they weren’t putting on a show for everybody. Deep down I knew they liked one another. They just never showed it. They were too much alike to get along I thought. A few minutes later Mrs. Shay instructed us to orderly exit the gym and she barely survived the rush through the exit out to the busses. Everyone wanted the back seats and by the time we got there we had the front seats on the last bus. I sat with Aras and Kelli as Jamey made them split up.

When we finally arrived there was another mad rush to get off the busses. Everyone was trying to get the most out of this award day I thought. The only thing I had planned was hanging out and doing whatever everyone else wanted to. I was just liking the fact that I got to spend some time with people I actually had a connection with for once. Even if the twin never stopped bitching at one another. It was still what I wanted to be part of. I just thought that them two would grow out of it over the years, but it only got worse and more childish.

When we all entered the center we looked around. A lot of the guys were already dividing up into two teams to play basketball. The back up quarterback had the rest of the junior football players and was passing a football in the corner of the center just out of the way of the basketball court. Someone had already snuck into the pool area and was already being dragged out of it soaking wet. He was dressed only in his boxers and then he was handed his clothes.

“Well look at these people,” Aras said sounding amused for the first time today. “I’m glad I’m not like that.”

“Well what do you wanna do?” I asked and everyone looked towards the vacant tennis courts.

“Wanna play three on two?” Aras asked and I shrugged.

“Yeah, it’d take all three of us to beat you two,” Kerry said then we all walked out to the first tennis court leaving the noise of everyone else. We could still hear them, but it wasn’t as deafening. You could still hear the squeaking of shoes skidding across the hardwood floor. We also heard one of the teachers telling another student to come down from the high dive.

“How much do you wanna bet that half of our class will have detention after this,” Jamey said as she handed us our rackets. Then we lined up on our side of the court.

“That’d be fun,” Kelli answered.

“It would probably put a stop to award days though,” I pointed out.

“Nah, they won’t do that,” Aras said, “They’ll just keep all the dumbasses at school.” Everyone laughed then Jamey started bouncing the ball preparing to serve. It would be the first time that I would be playing tennis. When she did the ball hit the net and we all started laughing all over again.

“Shut up!” Jamey squeaked blushing as she ran and picked up the tennis ball. Her long blonde hair was blowing in her face. She had dyed it that color a little while ago and her brown color was starting to show at her roots. Everyone seemed to like it better, but I liked her hair brown. She tried again and this time she got it over the net. Aras ran up and returned it too hard for Kerry to hit it.

“You so missed that Kerry,” Kelli hissed when Kerry went to chase the ball. It had hit the nets that encircled the court.

“Well I’m sorry Kelli,” she apologized in a harsh voice. “You hit the next one.” Jamey served and it went to my side this time and when I hit it Jamey returned it. We had a pretty good set going until the twins collided going after a ball that Aras had hit in between them.

“You two are hopeless,” Jamey, sighed looking as they started slapping one another still sitting on the ground. “Stop that.”

“She started it,” Kerry groaned then she started wrestling Kelli down on the green surface.

“You two collided no one started it,” I countered as Jamey tried to pull them two apart.

“Ow, damnit Kerry you’re hurting me,” Kelli screeched then rolled Kerry off her just to get on top of her and start pinching her. All I could do was laugh, but then Aras walked around the net and picked Kerry off of Kelli and sat her down behind him. Kerry reached around him and smacked Kelli on the arm and Aras looked lost as the two of them started using him as a small wall, but kept fighting.

 
“I can’t believe you smacked me bitch,” Kerry growled then Aras ducked out of the way. Jamey then grabbed them both by one of their ears and they both stopped attacking one another as she pulled them down to her level.

“The two of you are going to stop this right now,” Jamey ordered not letting go of them. They both were screaming in agony but nodding their heads, “do you promise?”

“Yes,” they both answered then Jamey let go of them. Aras returned to my side of the court and gave me a wide-eyed look that made me start laughing again. Jamey looked stressed as she picked up her racket again.

“Will we be able to have a civilized game now?” I asked and everyone looked at me like I was crazy for saying it. Jamey gave me the tennis ball so that I could serve and before I did Kerry and Kelli exchanged slaps on the arm.

We were able to have a few good games before people started coming out to watch us. I didn’t like being the center of attention and when people started making fun of us we decided to stop playing. We left the tennis courts and saw that five guys from the baseball team were sitting on the bleachers. They were all wet and Mrs. Shay was sitting behind them. Most of the people had stopped doing what they were. Now most people were broken up into their usual clicks and were talking. I followed everyone else to a secluded corner of the center. We were out of the way of everyone if they wanted to start playing around again.

“Well how about we plan on going somewhere this weekend,” Aras said as we all sat down on the floor.

“That’s only if you get your license though,” Jamey said nudging him with her elbow. We were sitting in a circle. Kerry and Kelli were trying to ignore one another and I was sitting by Aras.

“He’ll get them,” I said patting him on the knee, “he’s been practicing a lot.”

“Yeah,” Aras added, “if I don’t get it tomorrow then I’ll be surprised myself.”

“So what are we doin?” Kelli asked we had to dodge a basketball as it bounced between us.

“A movie?” Aras suggested and I would be ok with that.

“No, there’s nothing good playing right now,” Kerry said and Kelli rolled her eyes.

“I thought you wanted to see that Penguin movie?” Kelli questioned and Kerry crossed her arms.

“I changed my mind,” Kerry countered.

“Not again you two,” Jamey butted in reaching for their ears. They both dodged her and they were back to glaring at one another.

“Bowling?” Aras offered another suggestion and that was shot down by both of the twins.

“You two are just picky,” I said rolling my eyes, “can’t you just come along, it’ll be our first outing as a group.”

“If they survive one another to make it,” Jamey added and Aras and I laughed.

“We can go to the football game Saturday?” Aras suggested again when things got quiet.

“No!” Everyone answered at the same time. It caused Aras to throw his hands up then he leaned back holding himself up by putting his hands behind him.

“Well I struck out someone else make the decision,” Aras said smiling at us.

“Let’s go to the lake,” Kerry said, “make a day out of it by ourselves.”

“Yeah, that sounds good,” I agreed we needed to get closer to one another and this would give us the best opportunity. It was also the cheapest for us to do.

“Is it settled then?” Jamey asked and everyone seemed to like it. “So the lake it is.”

“Alright everyone time to go!” Mrs. Shay announced through her loud speaker. It echoed through out the entire building. The whole junior class stopped what they were doing and for the first time it got quiet. The only sound heard were a few balls bouncing against the floor and that seemed to draw all the attention away from Mrs. Shay. Then a group of kids started running in the direction of the pools with them the rest of the class started following them.

“Oh shit!” Kelli gasped standing up.

“What the hell are you doing?” Kerry asked but Kelli ignored her and started running to follow everyone else. We kept hearing splashing as more people jumped into the water. Mrs. Shay and the other escorts were trying to threaten students out of doing it.

“Well, what are we waitin for? Aras asked, “an invitation?” We all stood then and took off running when we got there Kelli was already in the water so we all lined up and cannon balled. When we were all in the water the teachers entered the poolroom and they all looked pissed and frustrated.

“Never in all my years of teaching,” Mrs. Shay huffed crossing her arms. “You should all be suspended.”

“Get out of the water now!” Vice principal Pike ordered in his coarse voice. All the years of smoking and yelling has almost made him lose his voice completely. He was an old man way past the age of retirement. He was in my Grandfather’s graduating class when the high school only averaged two hundred students.

Everyone started climbing out of the pool after that. Our rebellious needs satisfied for the time being everyone was dripping and trying to ring the water out of their clothes. This was probably our last award day. Judging by the looks of disgust from the teachers it was almost a safe bet anyway.

“Guess what kids,” Mr. Pike said smiling at us all, “instead of riding back we’ll be walking so that you can dry out a little.” He thought that he would get groans of disproval, but what he got was laughter. “That means no lunch!”

“Um sir, we have to give them lunch,” Mrs. Shay corrected causing everyone who wasn’t laughing to start. We were going to know how much trouble we got into before the day was over. Then I’ll see if this was all worth it or not.

“Fine, let’s get going,” Mr. Pike sighed, we were then herded out of the pool area then out the front exits. The busses were already gone and we would be walking the two miles back to school. We weren’t allowed to talk and they filed us into a single line. There was a trail of dripped water behind us and the heat was starting to make me feel clammy. It was an uncomfortable feeling that I couldn’t get rid of. My boots was heavy and they made a sloshing sound when I walked so I knew there was trapped water inside them.

“I bet you guys wished you didn’t do that now,” Mrs. Shay said she didn’t get much of a response over that.

“Oh god,” I heard Kerry groan. “I’m going to have blisters on my feet I just know it.”

“Suck it up Kerry,” Kelli hissed.

“Girls be quiet!” Ms. Russell ordered they were walking behind me with Jamey and Aras in front of me. I could see Ms. Russell’s shadow approaching so she was walking beside Kerry and Kelli now.

The two-mile walk was only long enough to stop everyone from dripping. We were all still wet and the teachers didn’t know what to do with us. I heard them talking about sending us home with a half day suspension, but not everyone could be picked up. Finally the decision was made.

“Those of you whose parents we can contact will be sent home with a suspension and those who we cannot will have detention in the gym.” Mr. Pike explained finally and I reached into my pocket horrified when I felt my cell in there.

“Shit,” I sighed putting it out and seeing that it wouldn’t come on.

“Damnit!” Kerry hissed looking over her cell phone as well. None of us had remembered to lay our phones aside during our quest of rebellion. My money was also wet and my watch had stopped ticking. This was one of the most stupid things I had done and I was starting to regret it.

“Here use mine,” Jamey said handing me her phone, “I keep mine in my purse.”

“Smart,” I offered as I dialed my number. When mom answered the phone I wasn’t afraid to tell my mom. “Mom can you come pick me and Aras up.”

“Why it’s only the middle of the day?” Mom asked sounding concerned.

“We were suspended for jumping into the pool,” I answered and I heard her sigh then start laughing.

“Please tell me it just wasn’t you and Aras,” she said and I smiled.

“It was the whole class,” I explained and she stopped laughing.

“Good, the more people involved the less trouble you get in,” mom said, “alright, I’ll be right over.”

“Thanks,” I offered then I hung up. I handed Jamey back her phone and then I turned to Aras, “wanna go wait for her?”

“Yeah,” he answered then I followed him to the spot in the sidewalk. Some of the people in our grade that had their license already were leaving to go home and I was jealous of them. “Just wait, that’ll be us tomorrow.”

“You’re that confident?” I asked and Aras smiled.

“Not really,” he said reaching back and scratching the back of his head. I just now noticed that he hadn’t shaved and stubble was growing in. Then I remembered how rough he looked this morning.

“Aras, can I ask you something?” I asked and his smile faded.

“About this morning,” he started explaining and I waited. “Dad had a rough day so he did drink a little.”

“How much?” I asked trying to control my anger.

“Just enough to get his edge off,” he answered playing it down.

“Maybe we should tell my mom,” I sighed not feeling good about this anymore.

“Tomorrow I’ll have our golden ticket out and if your mom finds out right now that’ll be taken away,” Aras countered.

“Fine, we’ll tell her tomorrow after your driving test is over,” I said pointedly, Aras didn’t like the decision, but he was willing to go along with for the time being. We both knew how bad it was last time. Neither of us would be willing to go through that again. Mom arrived shortly after that and we were given towels to sit on so we didn’t get the seats wet. Mostly everyone else had left out that could and I felt sorry for the ones that had to dry out in the gym. Mom drove home this time and she wasn’t mad that we had done it. She was pretty laid back, one of those moms that admitted to all the stupid stunts she done when she was our age. I liked hearing that my parents had lives, lives that included getting arrested for sneaking into the school.

When we were at Aras’s house Phil was home again and I looked up to see mom studying the house. I was glad we only had one more day to worry about this problem. Mom would figure it out if we didn’t. Aras got out quickly after nodding his goodbye to me.

“Bye, Gail,” he said and mom waved at him. He jogged to his front porch and when he was inside the house mom let out a sigh.

“You’ll tell me if there’s something wrong won’t you?” She asked turning to look at me. Today it was harder to answer her so I just nodded my head. She started backing out then and I looked back as Aras’s house started to disappear behind the forests that dominated this part of town. Some of the trees were already starting to change their leaves into the fall browns and reds. The sun was shining and mom drove slower than I thought she normally did. I wanted to tell her it was on the tip of my tongue the whole way home. When we finally arrived back home we quietly walked up to the door and since mom was home today.

“I haven’t had any lunch,” I announced breaking the silence in our house.

“Oh?” Mom said, “what do you want?”

“Um soup,” I answered and she left me to go to the kitchen. I heard her shuffling through the cans in the cupboard.

“What kind?” Mom asked from the kitchen.

“Chicken noodle,” I responded then I started up the kitchen stairs to go change clothes. I sat my cell phone down taking the battery out to see if it’ll work after I let it dry out. After changing clothes I walked down stairs to find my soup in a bowl with a package of crackers. It was steaming and mom was sitting at the kitchen table as well. She had made herself a glass of tea. I grabbed me a bottle of water from the fridge and joined her at the table.

“So how much trouble are you expected to be in?” She asked watching me crumble my crackers into my soup.

“I think this is it,” I answered shrugging.

“Well that’s good,” she responded offering me a smile. “I better got get back to work, deadlines and all that.”

“Yeah,” I offered and mom gave my hand a few pats then grabbed her glass of tea and disappeared into the living room. The rest of the day was quiet and I looked ahead in all my books to see what all I could be missing. I had perfect grades and I didn’t want that to end. Dad came home for dinner, but I didn’t eat, as I was still full from the soup I had for lunch. I heard mom and dad talking about Phil from my room. I was eavesdropping for a little while and then I walked over to my window and looked out it. It was something I barely done. It was starting to get dark as the days were starting to get shorter. Then I turned around and looked at my room. The bare hardwood floor, dad installed it last year. It was something I wanted instead of carpet. My walls were white and my ceiling was high. This house was really old, but dad fixed it up over the years and now it was looking really good. This was actually the house that my mom grew up in. Her room was now the master bedroom and the master bedroom was now mine. We had two spare bedrooms, but we hardly had anyone visit.

When it was time for bed I tossed and turned all night. Partly because I was worried about Aras and what he could be going through. Also the excitement of him getting his license that he was sure to get. I didn’t think anyone could get more prepared for a test. We had big plans after tomorrow and I couldn’t wait to start them with him.

The phone woke me up ringing. When I ran downstairs to answer it I was scared. Only bad calls are reserved for times like these and I couldn’t get Phil out of my head. When Aras said hello my body jumped.

“What in the world?” I asked quickly, “are you all right?”

“Yes,” he answered sounding just as awake as I was. “I was just wondering if I could ask Gail if she could take me to my test.” I heard movement behind me and when I turned to see my parents standing there in their pajamas just as wide eyed as I was I turned back around ignoring them for now. “Sure, here she is.”

“Who is it?” Mom asked as I handed her the phone.

“It’s Aras,” I answered and mom looked scared.

“Hello Aras, what’s wrong honey?” Mom asked quickly, “why can’t your father take you?”

“I’m going back to bed,” I groaned walking past my father who was leaning against the kitchen counter.

“Yeah I sure can, I’ll be right over in a few minutes,” Mom said and I turned around just to catch her angered expression. “Hold up a minute Nik.”

“Yeah?” I said turning around completely.

“Now is there anything wrong with Phil and Aras?” Mom asked pointedly again.

“Mom, give it a rest,” I said then I got a look from both mom and dad that I didn’t like. “Please?”

“Fine,” mom sighed, “I will still be having a talk with Phil after I get back from taking Aras for his test.”

“Okay,” I said shrugging. It would be better for her to see it first hand then me having to tell her anyway.

“Wait a second Nik,” dad said and I again turned around to face them. “Was it ya’ll that got into trouble for wrecking the YMCA?”

“All we did was jump into the pool,” I said rolling my eyes.

“Well then you don’t have school today,” dad said, “I heard that the whole junior class was suspended.”

“Really?” I asked smirking, “has to be school history.”

“Certainly has our high school wanting to top it.” Dad said and I smiled then turned and walked back up the stairs. I crawled back into bed and fell back to sleep. Honking woke me up and I groaned and rolled out of bed for the second time this morning. I didn’t know how long I had slept but when I got down stairs thinking the mailman had a package to give us I was surprised when Aras burst through the front door.

“Nik!” He screeched happily, “I done it,”

“I knew you would,” I said as he wrapped me up in a hug. I was still in my underwear and he made me chill from his cool to the touch clothes smothering me now. “Let me see it.”

“Okay,” he said then he fumbled through his wallet pulling it out. He handed it to me and I looked it over. “You’re looking at a nearly perfect score too.”

“Well practice makes perfect,” I offered smiling. Mom came into the house and she was standing by the door.

“Well go get dressed so we can take our first ride together,” Aras said and I looked in mom’s direction.

“It’s fine with me Nik,” Mom said offering me a smile. The open door was causing her curly brown hair to blow in her face. The smile was forced though and I knew that she still intended to have that talk with Phil. Aras followed me up the stairs and I got dressed neglecting to take a shower. I didn’t want to keep Aras or mom waiting too long since they both seemed like they were in a hurry to get going. When I was dressed I ran a brush through my hair and then I followed Aras as he bounded down the stairs and walked quickly past my mom who then followed him out the door. Mom surprised me and got into the back seat so I got into the passenger seat beside Aras. He then proudly started Mom’s car and we started backing out of my driveway. Then we started down the road to his house and it was quiet. Aras wasn’t as excited as he was before.

When we got there we all got out of the car and we all walked down the sidewalk to the front door. After Aras unlocked the door and let us in I finally got to look around and see the house. It was clean except for the beer cans crunched up and scattered through out the living room floor.

“Maybe now’s not a good time,” Aras whispered turning leave. We all heard footsteps rushing down the stairs though and Aras turned back around just as Phil appeared into the living room. He didn’t stop there he kept coming at us and he was looking right at Aras. He wasn’t happy or looked like he was walking up to congratulate his son on his accomplishment either.

“Phil slow down you’re scaring the kids,” mom ordered pointedly and he stopped and looked at her. His eyes were clouded over and they were bloodshot. If the beer cans weren’t scattered on the floor I would think he had been crying. You could also smell the alcohol in the room and it smelled stronger now that Phil was in it.

“Aras get your ass out of this house!” Phil erupted turning his attention back to him.

“Why?” Aras asked in a slow careful voice.

“Phillip!” Mom hissed stepping forward, “that is no way to speak to anyone, let alone your own son.”

“He’s not my son,” Phil slurred in a harsh cracking voice. “I found what was on your computer faggot.” Mom and I both turned to look at Aras who was standing behind us now. His eyes were locked on Phil and his mouth was slightly open. He also wasn’t breathing and I don’t think I was either. The color had drained right out of Aras’s skin all but his face was turning redder by the second.

“You had no right looking in my stuff,” Aras finally spoke up snapping out of his trance.

“The hell I do,” Phil argued, “I told you to get the fuck out of here damnit.”

“No, you don’t,” Aras countered his voice rising.

“Phil stop talking to you son…”

“He’s not my son!” Phil interrupted, “all of you get out, the faggot isn’t welcome here anymore.” I had turned around to look at Phil stagger around the living room. He was using the couch as leverage as he looked us over. I heard the car starting and when I turned to look out the front door Aras was backing out of the driveway.

“Aras!” Mom yelled rushing out of the door and I was left in the living room with Phil.

“You’re a fag too aren’t you?” He slurred smirking at me and I slowly turned and walked out the front door not able to register anything that just went on in that house. I didn’t want to right now when I saw Aras spin the tires taking off down the road. Mom jogged out into the middle of the road waving her arms, but Aras wasn’t coming back. I didn’t blame him either. Mom got her cell phone out of her purse and was dialing a number when I got to her.

“Honey close the store and pick us up at Phil’s, something terrible has happened,” mom said then she hung up the phone. She walked out of the road then and we waited by the mailbox. Mom kept looking back towards the house making sure that Phil stayed inside. This was scary for me and I had too many things to think about. “Look at me Nik.”

“What?” I asked turning to look at her.

“Aras is still a good person and you’re going to accept him,” Mom explained and I hadn’t doubted that I would.

“Mom, Aras didn’t say that he was gay though,” I said and mom sighed.

“He didn’t say that he wasn’t either,” Mom said, “Just accept him.”

“I am accepting him,” I said and she smiled.

“Good,” she said and her shaky hand rubbed through my hair then. Dad arrived shortly after that and I was relieved that he was. Dad got out of his suv then. “No time get back in we have to fine Aras.”

“What happened?” Dad asked obviously shaken up by mom’s phone call.

“Explaining now will just waste time dear, now get in,” mom said, “get in Nik.” We all rushed inside the suv and then mom pointed in the direction Aras sped away.

“This is bad,” dad finally concluded. It was starting to get dark now and this was the fastest I had ever seen dad drive.

When we saw flashing lights ahead my heart sank and mom opened the door, which caused dad to slam on his breaks. Every one of us knew that it was mom’s car smashed into the tree. When we got there the ambulance was backing away from the scene and then sped past us. I had the window down and felt the rush of air behind it. Mom got back into the car and we turned around and started towards the hospital. This was all my fault.

Mom had started calling everyone telling them of the accident and that meant that Kerry, Jamey, and Kelli would be meeting us at the hospital. One person wasn’t going to be there I thought. He was the person that needed to be there the most too. It seemed like forever to get there, but when we did I didn’t want to get out of the suv. I would have to face whatever happened to Aras if I did. Then I saw the girls walking in with their parents and I got out and walked to catch up when them. Then we all went to the waiting room and I saw them taking Aras into a room down the hall and we all took off in that direction. When we got to the door the doctor stopped us from going in.

“Are you the family members of Aras?” She asked holding his clipboard to her chest so we couldn’t see it.

“No, friends,” Mom answered and the doctor frowned.

“So, but we’re only allowing family to visit him right now,” she countered, “now excuse me I have other patients to see.” She left us and entered another room then, but a nurse was stationed in our way now. Other doctors and nurses were rushing in and out of the room, but no one could see what was going on.

“I hate this,” Jamey said then she wrapped me into a hug and started crying into my shirt. Kerry and Kelli were holding one another crying as well. I didn’t know what to think about all of this. The way the nurses and doctors were rushing in and out of the room it seemed bad. We all waited in the waiting room closest to Aras’s room. The parents were talking, but I didn’t want to listen to what they were saying. Everything got quiet when Phil entered the waiting room though. He walked right over to the station and then he was taken to Aras’s room. Mom got up and tried to explain that Phil has been drinking, but the nurse wouldn’t listen to her.

“I don’t want him to have any visitors,” Phil instructed loud enough for everyone on the floor to hear after he left Aras’s room. Then he stepped on the elevator when the door opened and disappeared again. Aras’s room finally stopped buzzing and we all walked to his door to try and get any information from the doctor. When she finally appeared my parents ambushed her.

“Please at least tell us how he’s doing,” mom begged she had started crying.

“It’s not good for Aras,” the doctor said after a short pause. “Aras is in a coma and isn’t too stable, but gaining strength as time passes. It’s still pretty touch and go at this point, but his father did express that if we couldn’t get him stabilized and awake…”
“No,” mom hissed angrily, “you should have given that man a drug test he was drunk not an hour ago.”

“He is the legal guardian ma’am now you all need to either go to the waiting room or go home,” the doctor said in a rushed voice. None of the adults moved from the hallway though.

“Girls,” I whispered, “I need to see him.”

“We can’t get in,” Jamey countered then I motioned for them to follow me down the hall away from the adults.

“We need a plan to distract all the adults,” I said and everyone looked thoughtful.

“I have a plan,” Kelli said, “Kerry go distract them for a second.” When Kerry started walking Kelli stuck out her foot tripping Kerry and making her ram into a magazine rack knocking it over causing the magazines to go everywhere.

“Why in hell did you…”

“Cry Kerry,” Kelli hissed and Kerry glanced down at her foot and started crying out in pain. It caused all of the adults including the doctor and nurses to rush over to Kerry I snuck around them and down the hall to his door. No one noticed me and I entered the room as quietly as possible. I reached for the lock, but the door didn’t have one and I sighed. The room was dark only the light from the room’s bathroom was on casting a dim and shadowed glow through out the room.

Aras looked awful as there was a lot of bruising and cuts through out what I could see of his body. The monitors were beeping and there was an I.V. dripping and snaking down into his wrist. Aras didn’t look like himself at all.

“Aras you have to wake up,” I whispered leaning in close to his ear. “Wake up.” I then heard my mom call out my name in the hallway and I looked at the crack at the bottom of the door to see the shadow on the floor of someone standing behind the door. “I blame myself for this, for not telling mom.” The door opened and the doctor found me in the room.

“You can’t be in here,” the doctor said standing at the open door. She held it open wide enough for my mom to see into the room.

“Can you just give me a second to say goodbye?” I asked my voice cracking as I started to cry. There was no way Aras was coming out of this I thought. “He’s my best friend.”

“Yeah, I’ll give you a minutes,” the doctor said letting out a frustrated sigh. She closed the door behind her and as soon as the dim shadowed glow returned to the room I looked down at him again.

“Goodbye Aras,” I whispered then I leaned forward and I lightly kissed him on the lips. I only pulled away when the door opened and the doctor walked in. She turned on the main light and I started to turn to walk around the bed when I saw Aras’s eyes flutter open and he looked over at me.

“Hey man,” he whispered smiling his smile I liked and I knew everything was still going to be him and me.

Copyright © 2010 Krista; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 6
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..