Jump to content
    LieLocks
  • Author
  • 3,654 Words
  • 1,165 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Black Blood - 3. Chapter 3

3

 

 

They could hear sounds of Skylar’s roommates in the background; explosions from Josh’s video games, and laughter from the young couple’s bedroom, maybe they were watching some comedy movie.

Skylar’s heart was thumping rapidly, as she tried to figure out if she could detect lies in Mayrin’s voice or expression.

“You say you swore off magic, but you still like to get into people’s minds, don’t you?”

“It’s not like that,” Skylar said defensively, “it’s like hearing or eyesight. I can’t help it.”

“Well it’s not going to work on me. You’ll just have to trust me.”

Skylar shot her a glare. “How can I trust you? You don’t tell me anything. How did you even know about me? Where did you come from?”

“I’ll explain in the car.”

“Car?”

“Don’t you have one?” asked Mayrin. “We need to get to Boston.”

“Because you know where my parents live, too. Of course.”

Mayrin reached out to take her hand, but Skylar stepped back like she was afraid she would burn her.

“I know your mother.” Mayrin spoke very softly. “I know she’s the descendant of a Native tribe. Centuries ago one of the girls in that tribe made love with a man from my people. That’s how your line of witches started. I always keep watch over the witches. They’re like distant relatives to us. It’s important. I found out about the earthquake. That’s how I realized you had true power. The blood of my people is strong in your veins. But I didn’t know about your father.”

Skylar didn’t know what to say. “Can you really heal him?”

“I can. But I don’t want to wait. If we’re going to do this, I want to get going now.”

Thoughts were racing in Skylar’s head. “Micah has a car. Let me just call him.”

While she did, Mayrin went off to the bathroom to clean the remnants of blood from her hair and neck. Clutching her cell phone, Skylar went to sit at the windowsill, tugging aside the blue curtain and looking at the moon in the sky. She couldn’t see any stars.

“Is everything all right?”

“I need to borrow your car. Right now.”

“Gotcha. Where are we going?”

Skylar licked her lips, hesitating for only a second. “We’re going to see my parents.”

It didn’t take much to convince Micah. Fifteen minutes later, the girls were taking a seat in his luxurious Cadillac XTS. Well it wasn’t actually his car, but his father let him drive it. The sleek paint was silver and the interior was all black leather. Skylar was sitting in the comfortable passenger seat, and Mayrin was maneuvering to lie down on the back seat. If Skylar wanted to ask her for some more explanations, it wasn’t going to be now. Mayrin was already sleeping when Micah shifted in first gear and pushed on the accelerator, the bluish headlights sweeping the street as he started driving.

“You’re so lucky that your father lets you drive this car,” said Skylar dreamily, leaning her head against the window.

“He still won’t let me drive his new Mercedes though.” Micah kept his eyes on the road, heading toward Madison Avenue Bridge. He had activated the navigation system using the touch screen on the car’s interface.

“Don’t complain. The only car I ever drove was my mom’s SUV.”

Micah glanced at a sleeping Mayrin through the rear-view mirror.

“So are you going to tell me why you need to take her to see your parents? What’s so urgent that I have to drive you in the middle of the night?”

“It’s only 10:30.”

“Oh, I hadn’t realized,” he said even though the time was written clearly in bright blue digits on the car’s music system, where his iPod was plugged. “It was an eventful evening, I mean, after you and Blake left.”

“Spare me the details.”

“I didn’t mean it like that! My ex came over. He was so upset, and angry.”

“Shawn?”

“Yeah.”

“Persistent asshole. Didn’t you break up with him?” Skylar looked down at the dark waves as they drove over the Harlem River.

“Yeah but he said I owed him an explanation. I didn’t want to let him in cause Viko was there. So I went outside to talk to him.” Micah glanced at her sideways, the dashboard lights making his blue eyes gleam.

“You’re so stupid sometimes.”

“I know. Let me finish. Shawn wouldn’t listen to me, and he pushed me in the wall, and then he tried to hit me. But Viko stopped him. It was so awesome, Skylar. He protected me, and he kicked Shawn’s ass. I’d never seen Shawn scared of someone before. He promised he’d leave me alone and left.”

Skylar was shocked. She studied Micah’s profile as he focused on the road, both hands on the wheel. He looked serene. Micah’s ex-boyfriend Shawn was living proof that not all stereotypes were true. He was a tough guy with muscles that were more than just for showing off at the gym, and who had been through a rough past. He knew how to fight. He was the kind of guy that would defend himself well enough if he ever got jumped in the streets at night. He had a lot of aggressiveness in him. Skylar had picked up on all that when Micah had introduced him, thanks to her keen perceptiveness. So she was surprised that skinny, leopard-vest wearer, sushi-fanatic Viko had kicked Shawn’s ass.

“Are you sure you didn’t dream that?”

“Viko’s stronger than he looks,” chimed Micah. “Now, enough about me. What happened to you tonight? You look like you saw a ghost. Or several ghosts.”

Skylar didn’t really know what to say. She threw her arm across the black interior door, just below the window. She kicked off her shoes, shoving them next to her bag, to be more comfortable. They were in for a long ride, after all. She was still wearing her skirt and wide-neck top. But she still had some clothes at her parents’ house. She could get changed there.

Finally she answered him. “Try vampires.”

He laughed. The melodious sound usually always warmed her heart, but not this time. Instead it made her flinch.

“I’m serious,” she said.

Micah went quiet. He just drove. He only had one hand on the steering wheel now, and he clutched the long delicate scarf falling on his lap with the other.

Skylar told him everything, from her unpleasant experience at Sound and Blood to every word she had exchanged with Mayrin in her bedroom. Then she waited for him to react. His driving remained flawless, at least. Skylar knew he could handle it, which was why she had told him. He seemed to have paled a little though. His lips were parted.

Carefully, he spoke. “Are you sure they weren’t just psychopaths?”

“I saw their fangs. That wasn’t human.”

“Maybe they were devices they came up with because they’re vampire obsessed freaks.”

“Micah, their growls weren’t human either. And I felt it, you know? They were dangerous, and evil. Are you doubting me?”

He hesitated, eyes on the highway spreading ahead, with its lampposts casting yellow lights at intervals.

“It’s just weird. I was watching The Vampire Diaries just a couple days ago. Daemon sure is hot, and I wouldn’t mind if he existed, but…” The sentence trailed off.

Skylar wanted to be angry at him, but she actually laughed. Micah joined in with a chuckling sound at first, soon changing into a heart-felt laughter. They laughed because the information was too hard to process, and because they were tired. The joyful sound filled in the car, along with Micah’s pop dance music.

Vampires. Skylar actually felt silly now. Had she imagined the whole thing?

But then she remembered the fire. She recalled embracing the powerful magical energy filling her body just like blood filled her veins, making her heart beat fast with adrenaline. She could still feel the heat as the images of the vampires burning in bluish flames haunted her mind.

She wasn’t laughing anymore.

Micah looked worried suddenly as he looked at her. “Sky?”

“They were really monsters, Micah. They were attacking innocent girls.”

Frowning slightly, she gazed at the trees lining her side of the highway.

“Innocent?” echoed Micah. He peeked at the rear-view mirror. “Don’t you think it’s weird that Mayrin healed that girl with her blood? Vampires can do that normally, can’t they? I mean, in the stories. So maybe she’s one of them. Maybe we shouldn’t trust her.”

“Honestly, I don’t really care. If she heals my father, and he can walk again, then I’ll help her with whatever she needs to do. That’s our deal and I intend to stand by it.”

Before Micah could add anything, Skylar felt her phone buzzing in her bag, next to her feet. She bent over to pick it up. It was her mother. She sounded worried.

“Dad told you to call me?” asked Skylar.

“No, I’m on my blue tooth right now, in the car. I’m on my way home. Why did you call Gavin? Are you in trouble? I knew it. I had a feeling. It must be the charm.”

Skylar brought up a hand to touch her necklace, a small smile twisting her lips.

“Either that or maternal instinct,” her mother added.

“I’m coming home tonight.”

“What? But, it’s late… Where are you?”

The phone conversation was difficult. Her mother was understandably asking many questions, but Skylar couldn’t answer all of them. She felt weary. She just wanted to curl up against the car door and try to get some sleep.

In the end, she mentioned Mayrin, but she didn’t say much. Actually, after hearing that name, Skylar’s mother went silent.

“Mom? Shyanne? Hello?”

“I’ll wait for you. I’ll leave the outdoor light on, and the door unlocked.” She sounded nervous. “I’ll make some tea, and we’ll talk…”

“Okay.”

Mayrin ended up sleeping through the whole drive. Micah followed the indications on his GPS, listening to his music. He had switched from Justin Timberlake to more indie beats. They drove across Connecticut, then Massachusetts. Skylar was in and out of sleep the whole time. It didn’t feel that long to her, even though her body was a bit sore when they got to Boston.

Skylar gestured toward the high school she had gone to, Boston Arts Academy, as they drove past it, telling Micah how she’d had some good times there. The students there did art for half the day, every day. It had been a dream compared to middle school. Skylar was positive she couldn’t survive without expressing her creativity in a way or another.

She also told him about the posh restaurant where she had worked full time as a waitress for a year. She hadn’t been too sure what she wanted to do after high school. She knew she wanted to go to New York, though. She had needed to work to save some money. Her parents were helping her financially, but it didn’t hurt to have the extra cash from her waitress days for emergencies.

Her parents’ Victorian home was, of course, the place that held the most memories. Micah parked his Cadillac next to Shyanne’s black SUV. After shaking Mayrin’s shoulder to wake her up, Skylar jumped out of the car, stretching her legs. Micah was also stretching, rolling back his shoulders. Mayrin yawned as she stepped out of the vehicle.

The outdoor light was on as promised, casting a yellow glow on the freshly mowed grass. The two story house was blue with a pointed rooftop and a white balcony. The windows were all white framed. It was all dark, save for one light coming out of one of the upper floor windows.

Mayrin led the way to the white painted front door, like she used to live here rather than Skylar. Looking up, Skylar saw her mother standing in the lighted room, peering through the window blinds. Then she disappeared.

Before Mayrin could knock, Skylar’s mother had rushed to open the door for them.

She seemed to recognize Mayrin, though the look on her face was not welcoming. She let them in, wearing a long velvet red bathrobe. It was dark inside.

“Your father’s asleep,” she told Skylar in a hushed voice.

Skylar whispered as well. “Micah, Mayrin, this is Shyanne, mom, this is my best friend Micah, and, um, Mayrin.”

She wasn’t sure she could call her a friend.

Her mother was clearly very anxious at the moment. She couldn’t stop staring at Mayrin with something akin to fear in her eyes. So she didn’t bother with polite words. “Right, let’s go upstairs.”

“Nice to meet you Mrs. Clarence,” tried Micah but Shyanne didn’t seem to hear him.

The master bedroom, kitchen, living room, bathroom, and her father’s office were downstairs. Ever since her father had been in a wheel chair, only her mother used the second floor. The wooden stairs creaked slightly as they marched up, following Shyanne.

A ceiling light lit the hall beyond the stairs. The walls were painted a light shade, with eccentric abstract paintings hung between each door. Skylar’s mother led them to the room where she welcomed her numerous faithful clients. She was a fortune teller, life coach, psychic; she had many titles. People came to see her because she was insightful. She had a true gift, and they realized that right away. Shyanne was even more talented than her daughter at reading people.

The room was wide, with wooden blinds currently obscuring the double panel window. The forest green walls held a single wooden shelf running all around the room, with no less than a hundred candles spread across it. At least half of them were lit. The candles were in various colors and scents. A pungent smell filled the room.

Mayrin was the first one to sit. She took place on the plush violet couch, against a gold embroidered pillow, folding her green clad legs. Micah gingerly went to sit next to her. He was about to prop up his feet on the large black coffee table when Skylar shook her head. He let his feet drop back onto the Persian carpet.

“I’m making some tea,” Shyanne announced after closing the door with a click. “Let me know what you’ll have…” Still with the nervous edge to her tone.

Shyanne had had a sink installed on the far wall, so she could make tea during appointments. There was a set of china cups and a kettle on the counter next to it. Her selection of tea was neatly organized in a pale box with a transparent lid. She made them choose.

“I’ll have lemon,” said Mayrin.

Micah shifted uneasily next to her. “Green tea.”

“Same,” Skylar said quietly.

She helped her mother with the platter. Once it was set on the low black table, they sat on dark wood chairs across from the couch. Skylar liked the way the room was softly lit, with no artificial lights, just the candles. Her mother had always done this. Skylar used to come in here as a little girl, in between two customers, and just enjoy the mysterious atmosphere of her mother’s working environment.

Time for questions. She had only waited because she knew Shyanne wouldn’t be satisfied until everyone had a cup of tea. That was her way.

“So,” she glanced from her mother to Mayrin, “how do you two know each other?”

Shyanne darted her eyes, holding her loose dark brown hair up like she was trying to pin it into a bun without any clips.

Mayrin answered first. “I have always kept archives on the witches. There aren’t many in this world. The line you two are descending from is the oldest. The power of the Immortal is strong in your blood, Skylar.”

Slowly, Micah raised a hand still wrapped in his scarf. “Am I the only one who doesn’t understand a single thing she said?”

“No,” said Skylar.

Mayrin’s vague, elusive and incomprehensible explanations were getting frustrating. As though reading her mind – and perhaps she was – Shyanne intervened.

“She came to ask me questions when you were only five years old, Skylar.” Her dark eyes were gazing at Mayrin wearily. “She said she needed to complete a file on you. I refused, but she insisted…”

Skylar shot an accusatory glare at Mayrin. “What did you do?”

“Nothing,” Shyanne said, “she just didn’t believe me when I told her you had no magical skills. She left anyway, but then I saw her spying on you a few times, Skylar, as you got older. Not very often, but it still made me worried. I put up a protective charm on the house to ward her off. As I see now, it didn’t work.”

Mayrin’s blue gray eyes were soft as she looked up from her hot lemony beverage. “Your magic can’t work on me.”

“The last time I saw her before today,” Shyanne said, still addressing Skylar, “was just after…” She hesitated.

Skylar got the feeling she wanted to talk about the earthquake.

“It’s okay,” she closed her eyes, “Micah knows. I trust him.”

Shyanne took a long sip of tea, and then set down the china cup on the coffee table, her hand trembling slightly. She was forty two, but at that moment she looked a few years older.

“The last time I saw Mayrin was just after the earthquake – a day after I think. She was looking at the damage, inspecting the debris, like she was some kind of police officer. She ran off when she saw me stepping out of my car, like she’d done all the other times. Somehow I knew. She knew it was you who had done that, Skylar.”

There was no accusatory tone in her mother’s voice, but Skylar still felt so sick that she couldn’t even drink her green tea. Her chest hurt.

“I knew it was magic,” Mayrin shrugged, sounding unconcerned. “I could feel it lingering in the air. Besides, the experts were completely baffled, weren’t they? Even they couldn’t comprehend how an earthquake of this magnitude—”

“Okay,” Micah cut her with a gesture, “Mayrin, I think we get it. You’re Skylar’s stalker.”

Skylar smiled at him weakly, grateful.

Her mother seemed trouble. She crossed her legs, showing a glimpse of red knee-length pajamas through her matching bathrobe. Her hand was still trembling slightly as it rested in her lap.

“Mayrin is not human, I think.” Shyanne then found the courage to speak to her directly. “You are from another world, aren’t you? According to the story my grandmother told me, there is a parallel world, called Shisee, where people called Farensi live. They possess great magic, and they are the only ones who can travel through worlds.”

Tilting her blonde head, Mayrin let out a soft laugh. “You make it sound like such a mysterious faraway fairytale. Farensi means ‘immortals’ in your language. Shisee simply means ‘the lands’ similar to your ‘earth.’ We are not simple humans, and we do live much longer. Not all of us possess magic, and certainly not all of us can shift through dimensions. Your ancestor definitely had both talents, though, as I do. I didn’t actually know him, I’m not that old. But I read about him in the archives.”

Skylar rose and pushed the chair out of her way, marching to the window. She rested her head against the wooden blinds, breathing in the sweet smell of the candles.

“This all sounds so crazy. A parallel world, really? Prove it.”

“Skylar,” Mayrin pleaded, “I don’t have time for this. It actually takes a lot of my energy. I can’t just go back and forth without resting.”

“What do you mean you don’t have time for this?” asked Shyanne. “What did you come here for?”

Before anyone could speak, Mayrin hurriedly said, “I’m here to heal Gavin Clarence. Then we all need to go back to New York as soon as possible.”

Skylar pushed aside her suspicions for a moment. She had seen what Mayrin was capable of, with her blood. What if it really worked? She couldn’t let that chance slip by. Also, Mayrin clearly didn’t want to mention the whole vampire thing to Shyanne, which Skylar agreed with. It was pointless to make her worry more than she already did.

Shyanne’s dark brown eyes were wide. If she had been holding her cup of tea, she would’ve probably dropped it on the Persian carpet.

“To heal my husband? What are you talking about?” A hint of merely repressed hope slipped through her voice.

Skylar pressed a hand to her chest, her thin silver bracelets clinking slightly. “Mom, it’s worth a shot.”

They all watched as Mayrin took out her knife and sliced her wrist, pouring the thick red liquid into what was left of her lemon tea. Micah sprung to his feet with a small cry, stumbling as he stepped away from the couch.

“You want to do this now?” Skylar asked, but she was ignored.

Mayrin’s steely gaze was on Shyanne, as she handed the cup. The cut on her wrist was already healed. “Go wake him up. Tell him you’ve come up with a new medicinal tea, with a special charm in it – anything you want. Tell him you were inspired, and you needed him to drink it right away. I’m sure it isn’t the first time you make some kind of strange mixture, you are a human witch after all.”

“Your cut,” Micah said, “it’s gone.”

Skylar was still standing next to the window, frozen, looking at her mother. Shyanne took the cup. She exchanged a glance with her daughter, who gave a small nod.

Silently, Shyanne left the room with the cup held firmly in her hand.

Copyright © 2014 LieLocks; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
  • Wow 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..