Jump to content
    LillyLee
  • Author
  • 804 Words
  • 1,088 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Duets - 4. Chapter Four

 

I Want To Hold Your Hand - The Beatles, One Call Away - Charlie Puth, Lean On Me - Bill Withers, Ain’t No Mountain High Enough - Marvin Gaye

We Are The Champions - Queen, Unstoppable - Sia, Crossroads - I Prevail

For the first time in his life Matthew actually felt depressed when the time came he needed to shower. The water never felt quite warm enough, the spray never quite enough to relax. The sound of water hitting the tile made the silence from next door deafening. A hard time. He couldn’t help but worry about his singing partner, his shower buddy. He had wanted to ask for more information but didn’t want to seem rude. He had brought over food twice in the week, when he heard Nora moving about. She was more than grateful. He had made plans to run some errands for her this evening after work and promised to help her tidy up and join her for dinner. She told him Jack should be coming home by the end of the week, and she wanted everything to be perfect for him.

 

Matthew rubbed the towel over his hair as he stood in the living room. He wanted to do something, something special. But with his limited knowledge of Jack and what he was going through it was difficult coming up with something that would be well received. When his eyes landed on his stereo he had his answer. He sat in front of his computer and got to work.

 

⤐⤞

 

“Thank you Matthew, for all your help.”

“It was no trouble at all, Nora, I was glad to do it. How is he?”

“Better. He will be home in the next few days. I’ll be crashing on his couch for a little while longer, but he won’t tolerate my presence for very long.”

“I’ll keep an eye on him for you. Before I forget, I made him something. I was hoping you could give it to him for me.”

Matthew handed over the CD and Nora looked at in confusion.

“Some songs, for us to sing together, when he’s feeling better.”

“That’s very sweet Matthew, I’m sure he’ll love it.”

 

 

⤐⤞


 

Jack let his sister's voice drift over him, not really paying attention to her ramble. He wasn’t 100% sure he was ready to come home, but then again he never was once he left. Even after his third stint inside he still questioned if he had been actually ready to leave. The fact that he kept going back was probably a sign. He followed Nora out of the elevator and down the hall, pausing as she unlocked the door. Hesitating in the threshold Jack glanced at the door next to his. There was a small plaque hanging on the door that seemed to have been left over from Christmas hat said ‘Merry Meet’. Jack wrapped his arms around himself, holding back from the urge to knock. Matthew, Nora said his name was Matthew. Jack didn't know how long he had been standing there, his worn out converse scuffing the floor.

“Jack?”

He jumped when his sister’s hand rested on is solder.

“He’s probably not home from work yet. But I’m sure he’d be thrilled if you want to say hello when he gets in.”

“What? No. Why would I do that?” Jack spun on his heel and marched into his apartment. Sure, he had thought about it. He had thought about it a lot since about the second week his neighbor had moved in. But there was a reason he didn't have many friends. What if he had been reading too much into their duets? What if it hadn’t meant as much to Matt as it had to Jack? He so badly wanted to thank his neighbor for giving him the courage to seek help, again. And for the amazing CD he had made. But he was afraid. Afraid how Matthew would react when he found out where Jack had been the last few weeks, and why.

“Jack? Did you hear a word I said?”

“What? Sorry, no, I was… thinking.”

“It’ okay. You're probably tired, why don’t you go have a nice hot shower and lay down for a while. I'll get dinner together.”

“You don’t have to cook.”

“Heavens no, Matthew brought over some food, there's still some leftover in the fridge.”

“He did?”

“I told you, he’s been helping out all month. He’s a total sweetheart. And really cute.”

“Nora!”

“What?”

“It’s not like that.”

“It could be. He was so worried about you Jack, and that CD was super sweet.”

Jack wrapped his arms around his torso again and looked at the floor. “Did you tell him?”

“No, and he didn’t ask for specifics. Just how you were doing and if he could do anything. Look, even if it’s not ‘like that’, he would be a great friend I think. The doctor said you need to expand your social circle.”

“I’m going to lie down.”

“Alright honey sweet dreams.”

Copyright © 2017 LillyLee; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 12
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..